Nystrom & Associates Employee Reviews

high stress job with no time to decompress
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 12, 2017
A typical day at work is compiled of "tasks" that you need to complete (which is essentially things that are assigned to the support staff by the higher up staff) aka busy work. Also, you have additional side duties that must be completed daily. Although you have a large work load that needs to be done in a timely manner you will also be expected to keep a smile on your face no matter how the clientele entering the clinic is treating you and will be expected to put them first at foremost. The management does not value how much work the support staff actually do and most the time will walk up and give you even more work to do. The culture is the best part of the job. The coworkers were about the only positive aspect of the job, they would always help out when needed. The hardest part of the job is the amount of work given (especially at times of high turn over) and the lack of pay and respect given to the support staff which essentially run the clinic itself.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
management, pay, respect, stress
very hypocritical
Chemical Dependency and Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJuly 7, 2017
Although I had many challenges working with the team, I truly enjoyed helping the clients and meeting their needs. I loved doing indiviual therapy and teaching.
Fast paced work environment with good PTO
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 10, 2017
I loved this job and how fast paced everything was. Since you're working in a mental health out patient clinic, you need to make sure that your mental health is in good shape. I found this out the hard way. The only reason I left was because I realized I was not cut out for the job. PTO was amazing. You got 4 hours for every 70 hours worked and thats the most I've ever received for a job. If you can compartmentalize what happens at work and enjoy a fast paced work environment, this is the job for you.
Fast paced, always busy, and client orientated.
Intake & Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNJune 4, 2017
I have been an employee at Nystrom & Associates, LTD for 1.5 years. I enjoy the fast pace of the company, there is always work to be done. For the most part, everyone is very friendly and put the needs of our clients above all. This, however, is where the problem came in for me. The clinic seems to have a high turnover rate with employees, new employees to be specific. HR and Management are so focused on hiring as many people as they can so that more calls can be taken and the patients can be assisted as quickly as possible. This causes the training of the new employees, two being trained at once, to become shortened. I believe that if the company promoted more existing and qualified employees to train new staff, and provide one on one training, the turnover rate would decrease.

Overall, the company and it's goal is great, but the management needs assistance in providing their employees with the training and appreciation that they deserve.
Great Advancement opportunities, and many great people to work with!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNJanuary 25, 2017
Very fast paced job, you need to be very good at multi-tasking and managing stress.
Great place to work, the Apple Valley clinic is small, your coworkers feel like family.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Can be stressful at times
solid company to work for.
Lead Mental Health Practitioner in PFBD Department (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJanuary 5, 2017
I enjoy the flexibility of community based services. Supervisors are supportive and understanding. I love that Nystroms provides many types of services which provide an opportunity for learning and job options.
Low pay and high stress job. The training was horrible.
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNDecember 26, 2016
This job is horrible. The compensation from the stress and minimal training does not compensate from the low pay. I was critique every week until they told me that maybe this field isn't for me. I tried to ask for additional help and was told that the 2 days of vague training was all I need. Management team favored females and since I was a minority as well I felt that I was discriminated against since I was not white and I was not a female.
Cons
No Breaks for PM shift, High Stress, Poor Management, Minimal Training

Comment – December 29, 2016

Management was incompetent, unprofessional, and emotional. Work environment was like stepping on pins and needles. I would not recommend working here.

Terrible from top to bottom
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 24, 2016
When the providers that care for patients point out the CEO and founder decorates the clinics in a way to make people sad and not get better so "we" can make more money you know you are working for a one great company. Managers micromanage, you are over worked and under paid once you make it past front desk duties, 15 days vacation is not enough for how stressful dealing with management and angry patients day in and day out is. You will work with toxic employees that will talk poorly about the company all day long and the moment you say something they will turn around and rat you out. Another big thing is this place has a gossip policy... this is the only company i have worked for that has this.. i wonder why they do??? Some days it's worth it but most days it's not.
Pros
Some great co workers, free lunches at some clinics, get to make some patients' day
Cons
Everything else
Negative experience with management and Human Resources
Support Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 29, 2016
Management is uneducated and rude to employees. They do not respect employees. It has a horrible atmosphere created my the management and this will only change if they re-evaluate the management and human resource team.
Cons
Bad atmosphere, poor management
Stressful
Support Staff Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 25, 2016
Insufficient training and a stressful, unorganized atmosphere made the job unbearable. Only given one 30 minute, unpaid lunch for a full-length shift. Co-workers were young and often times immature.
Cons
Short breaks
Can be a highly stressful place to work
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNDecember 21, 2015
I worked with some of the best co-workers that I've ever had. The people working in the billing department are some of the hardest working, caring people on earth, however it went frequently unnoticed by management.
Pros
Lunches from drug reps
Cons
No breaks, micro-management
enjoyable atmosphere and professional support staff
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 16, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at Nystrom, I have referred several friends to apply for jobs and would recommend it to anyone interested in a variety of mental health services in the Duluth area.
Great beginning into the Mental Health Arena but job can feel defeating
Mental Health Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 3, 2015
Overall the job is rewarding when an employee can find clients that are willing to work toward their goals on a regular basis. Mental Health work can be demanding, challenging, leaving one feeling defeated and rewarding all in the same day. There are aspects of the paperwork and expectations of what an employee can and cannot do, or "should" do compared to what is reality and/or nature of the work. At times expectations can be overwhelming and guidance is not always available but there is a willingness of the company to train, adapt and allow independence in an employee's learning process. The hardest part of the job is the process of having clients think that the services provided "at their door or within the community" is at their convenience and not as important as going into an office that they have made an appointment with. Despite a practitioners emphasis on how important making and keeping appointments is to progress cancels happen often and there is no compensation for time lost but the time lost can be part of a "performance review". The co-workers are enlightening, very helpful and give great advice when meeting or information is requested.
Pros
When a case load is filled and sucessful the job is rewarding, the pay scale is good if the clientel is secure
Cons
Expected co-curring paperwork is often not an obtainable task, client cancels happen often, there is no area for practictioners to meet with clients within the office
good place to start for employement
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNMay 12, 2015
Wonderful Co-workers, good place to start if your in the medical field or health counseling. flexible with hours, job advancement is available if looking,
Pros
breakfast and lunch provided sometimes
Cons
no breaks, low work moral, high employee turnover
Full of opportunity to grow and learn.
Office Manager and Medical Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNMarch 20, 2014
My experience is made up of a lot of administrative duties and patient care related work. Patient interaction was constant, as well as employee interaction. Team work is essential to have a successful and productive work day and there is little independent work. Management is hands on and involved in the day to day functioning of the company. The hardest part of the job is that there is a lack of employee incentive to succeed on an individual basis which leads to employees having low morale and a lack of momentum that is needed to go above and beyond the standard job duties. The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is a constant flow of work due to massive and consistent growth in the company.
Pros
Flexibility with vacations/time off, encouraged employee interaction
Cons
health insurance, no incentive programs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nystrom & Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6