O'Charley's Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working with food and the employee discount
Supervisor / E.T.E (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 12, 2017
I worked at O'Charley's for 8 years; started when I was 15 as a host. I was never able to work my way up to management but by the time I had been there 8 years I was ready to try a new line of work. I enjoyed my co-workers and the fast paced environment was fun. Working mostly in the kitchen as a cook sometimes I would be scheduled on a night shift and then at 7am the next morning. I never had a weekend off that I can remember. It was my first job and I enjoyed making money and went from $5.25 an hour to $12.00.
Pros
Late/early shifts
Cons
Benefits, advancement to management, always smelled like food.
Positive work enviorment , culturally fun loving attitude, great food, relaxing atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNNovember 4, 2016
O' Charley's restaurants, I do enjoy the culture as it is both challenging and very rewarding, knowing every effort in providing an experience that will ensure we not only meet expectations but continually strive to exceed them, I do know that O'Charleys' is one of a few concepts that has a connection to being "Born and raised in Tn.This does and can have some intrinsic value for our guests, Serving and being of service, has always given me a sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, am humbled, in knowing the greater the responsibility, the greater the opportunity to be influential, in sustaining a team oriented and guest driven experience.
Pros
Great enviorment, consistant coaching and development, building strentgh thru people, High standards and high expectations
Cons
knowing when we have had a negative guest experience, and not to have done everything possible to recover them, I do take considerable pride in assuring guests are pleased with thier experience, and find that these can be a challenge, also very rewarding in reestablishing a guests confidance, using the experience to address what could we have done different.
unbalanced work ethic in management
Assistant Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMarch 4, 2017
Employees who did the least had low expectations from management, there-fore those who did the most were burdened with taking up their slack. I do not regret my time there, as it was an opportunity to stretch my wings in many areas, but no-one can do everything all the time and be excellent at their main objectives.
Pros
Free lunches, experience opportunity, great money
Cons
Almost no days off, low work culture, at times- impossible demands
This place is the worst
Togo specialist/host (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALSeptember 21, 2016
Management is inconsistent at best, hours change weekly, job security is virtually nonexistent, coworkers have no respect for one another, practically no benefits, customers are rude, I could go on. There's no shortage of complaints. I compare working at O'Charley's to being in high school again, it's a lot of drama and nobody truly wants to be there.
Pros
Half priced melas
Cons
Inconsistent management, no benefits, no job security, inconsistent hours
not fun
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  LouisianaFebruary 23, 2017
while the coworkers are awesome management is not all there. do not expect to get raises either.i worked for them for 4 years and got 2 raises. not much care for personal life either
Well run corporate type structure work environment
Server/Cook (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 28, 2017
OCharley's provided a great work environment filled with endless learning opportunities and a flexible schedule. Its corporate structure was conducive to advancement possibilities and fringe benefits.
Great place to work, their training program is terrible, but the overall environment is pretty great
Cook (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 3, 2017
I enjoy working there mostly, definitely a couple things I don't like. Their training program for new hires is terrible, you basically have to learn everything on your own, but once you learn your job and can perform, it's a very easy job.. they pay the cooks very well and the hours are pretty decent.. everyone is pretty friendly and easy to get along with and overall the work environment is pretty good..
Pros
Great hourly pay, weekly paycheck, management is easy to get along with and very understanding as far as personal matters
Cons
Training program for new hires is terrible
Fun place to work, management not so good
Host/Busser/Guest Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSFebruary 23, 2017
Busy weekends
Learned better customer service
Fast-paced
Loved being on my feet always moving
The culture was fun and nice works
Management not so good
Pros
food half off fun co-workers
loved working there
Server (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILMarch 22, 2017
this was the only establishment that i have worked at were the management team actually help and work with you.Fast paced but a really fun place to work at
Pros
relaxed atmosphere and everyone seemed to get along with each other
Cons
no benefits
Chaotic work environment and management
Host / Server (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 11, 2017
Overall I enjoyed my jobs positions because I enjoy customer service, but at the time I worked here the management was unruly, work environment was so unorganized, and compensation is just low.
Hostile eork environment
Server/Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAFebruary 8, 2017
Ocharleys was decent in the beginning but as time went on it became very hostile work environment. Hours was cut and stealing our pay was the disappointing thing.
Pros
Great place to eat
Cons
No raise. Low ay
Trainer / Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 6, 2017
Loved the staff management and fellow employees. I took orders and served them to guest at table or to car. I trained new hires on policy and procedures
Pros
The money was good
Cons
The long hours
Good people to work with but sometimes lazy
Server (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GANovember 2, 2016
Love the people I work with, but very difficult to work with them. I am not lazy whatsoever at work but many of them are, don't prepare for the rush before it happens, too concerned with laughing and joking than focusing on what needs to be done to make sure everyone's night runs smoother (restocking their sidework), tips aren't very good. We do help each other out when absolutely necessary (most of the time), but you have to ask specific people for help if they aren't busy rather than addressing the crowd as a whole or you will be ignored. Management works with me and my schedule. I have been there so long that they trust what I have to say and try to improve on the things I bring up that need improvement. Because of this I am more apt to help them out when they are short staffed and I am available to work.
Reliable work
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GANovember 27, 2016
Great opportunity for promotions. Problem is that you work long hours and have minimal time off. If store is down a manager then the work load doubles.
It used to be a great place to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, INJanuary 20, 2017
Since new management has started the job is horrible to go to work in. They management treat their employees like scum. I have even heard a manager say that all the servers are stupid and completely useless but will yell at you to show respect to other people. I have got to the point that I hate going to work, when I first started working there I loved my job and now I can't stand working there. I would not recommend this job to anyone not even my worst enemy.
Fast paced, high standards, physically and mentaly demanding
Lead Grill Cook and Finisher (Current Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 26, 2016
I started as a fry cook and worked my way up every single station; fry, salad, saute, grill, and finish. every station presented new challenges and learning opportunities as I learned and rose my own personal standards as I grew as a cook, and as a person. this place taught me a lot about not compromising my own standards and always doing everything right the first time.
as I've improved and climbed the ranks as a cook I quickly realized that here, I have reached the top and have both no other advancement opportunities and am nearing my pay cap.
At it's coreI take great pride in my work and love what I do, I love my coworkers and team, but find myself searching for something better.
Pros
Free Meals, 2 Weeks Vacation
Cons
Short Breaks, Working nights every weekend, nonexistent social life.
Productive and Laid Back
Server (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 28, 2017
For a first time serving gig, everyone was very supportive with whatever questions I had. Even the guest that came to dine in were very respectful and supportive of new trainees. Be the high quality restaurant that it is, the O'Charley's management were always helpful and tried to make themselves at all times no matter how small the problem. Definitely enjoyed my time here. 10 out of 10, would totally apply here again.
Productive and fun environment
Server/Cocktail Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNOctober 20, 2016
Everyday was different but always hectic and fast paced. The downfall is their was never much teamwork in the beginning. The management crew always helped to ensure customer satisfaction. Always had large sections but no bussers or food runners. Hardest part was keeping up by having to perform 4 different positions in any given shift. The most enjoyable part were the customers at the beginning but as we trained new teams to work better together the teamwork and relationships improved.
Mismanaged
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 7, 2017
The biggest issue I have with the store at which I work is how it is managed. I have been working in the customer service industry for a long time and there have been very few times I have had to work under tyrants who take all of the credit for anything positive accomplished by the team and None of the blame for every negative issue there is with the store. This store has a tyrant or two running it.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Poor management
A great place to work, with wonderful managers and friendly co-workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 6, 2017
In the work place team work is important, as well as working closely with management. Dealing with the public can be difficult but also rewarding. Each day you learn patience and take pride in a job well done.
Pros
Meeting new people and learning from them.
Cons
Working with diffficult people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at O'Charley's. Our community is ready to answer.