O'Charley's Employee Reviews

Managers think you don't have a life outside of work
Server (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNSeptember 18, 2015
Worked at the O'Charley's in Smyrna, TN

Need experienced servers; they want you to learn the entire menu (the ingredients, the wine menu, and what wine to serve with the food, everything) in a few days. I was written up because I didn't have the code of conduct memorized after being employed for a week, yet a few weeks later all servers were all tested and no one else knew it either.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful. The managers were overbearing, breathing down your neck all the time, and condescending.
The hardest part of the job was honestly placing that huge tray on one shoulder and not dropping it. They demanded I carry it a certain way, even when I was not comfortable at only 120lbs. It is harder than it looks, especially if you are new to serving.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was working with cool people all the time. The food is amazing.
The WORST part of the job was that the managers would NEVER cut me when it was my time to leave. I worked a double once and the manager would not cut me first like I was supposed to be. I was six months pregnant, and I was the first to arrive that morning and the last to leave. On Sundays don't even think about leaving on your designated cut time. You're going to stay four hours over.
Pros
Great food, good co-workers
Cons
Never get to leave when your shift ends
Rewarding position with the clientel I have recieved, respected by my managers and we do have fun working.
Togo Server/ Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAOctober 15, 2012
Work for me is usually busy and fast paced. I tend to do more than my job title requires me to do. I generally run togo orders as well as running the alley window making sure the food gets out to tables. I assist the managers with little projects such as making gifts bags at the holidays. Being in this position has taught me to multi task very well, it has gen me greaqt experience interacting with other people and giving excelent customer service. Working with all different types of people has also taught me how to work with all different types of personalities and backgrounds. My managers nad I have always worked well together, we usually always get along. For me I do nt consider any part of my job to be hard. I take pride in all my work and I go into work everyday trying to improve anyway that I can, and making sure to give 110% of me everyday. All of my job is enjoyable, from the people I work with to the customers I get to see everyday. Most all of my shifts the people that come in I have been taking care of for close to 6 years. I love my job, however this is not where I want to make my career.
Pros
the togo guests that come in and ask for me by name, just on based on they love the service i give them.
Cons
benefits, inconsistent hours, not a steady pay check, and not very secure job security
This job helped me pay bills, but I'm glad to be out
Cook (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 8, 2015
I worked in the restaurant industry since I was 15 because I have always had to support myself financially, which included completely putting myself through college. I worked here an average of 30 hours a week while putting myself through 15 credit hour semesters at Indiana University.

The work itself was not that bad, but the work environment was another story. I worked with a lot of felons with violent histories, and there was a drug scene that I wanted no part of. On the weekends, when drug usage in the kitchen was at its highest, the work environment would become very stressful and filled with tension and anger. The managers would show up intoxicated to work, as well, so there was nothing I could do to better the situation.

This was a very stressful job to work, but I stuck with it for 4 years so I could further my education. Working jobs like these is not easy or glamorous, but I truly believe it gave me a stronger work ethic than ever, and helped me appreciate working in a professional environment that much more.
Pros
I was able to pay my bills while putting myself through college
Cons
Stressful work environment with management that did not care about their employees
Good place to work.
Hostess, Server, and Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALDecember 11, 2015
I took orders and entered them into the computer. While the food was being cooked I multi-tasked and delivered food, put rolls in the oven, served other tables, rolled silverware, stocked salad bar, delivered drinks from the bar, and took curb side to go orders. I learned how to go full speed and multi-task without forgetting anything my customers at my tables needed. The hardest part of my day would be when we were packed and food orders took longer. This made the customers more difficult to deal with, but I learned how to please them so that their negative experience became a good one so they would come again. About 95% of the co-workers are friendly and willing to help you whenever you need a hand, but there is always a couple people that everyone avoids. Last but not least, the managers are great and they work with you in any case.
Pros
Food was 10% off which made it affordable.
Cons
No assigned breaks cause of having to serve customers. Sometimes you can go all day without a break.
OK money, good co-workers, dirty kitchen, mostly horrible managers (few exceptions)
Server (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SC (West Ashley location)May 16, 2014
Long-term employee (3+ years)
Server
Pro's:
The clientele and tips were OK, averaged at least $300 working an average of 25 hours a week
Sidework was not difficult at all, most difficult would be cleaning and stocking beverage station, or bread and butter which involved scooping endless butter cups.
Some great co-workers, server staff got along pretty well with each other and kitchen staff. High turnover save for a few long-term (5+ years) who have been there forever.
50% off meals
25% friends/family discount when you dine in

CONS:
A lot of bad management decisions, took a turn for the worse in beginning of 2014. Not all bad though, they were a few that truly did care about there job and their staff; unfortunately they went to other locations. Newer management very unprofessional, does not care about conditions of restaurant or staff concerns. Kitchen is very dirty, pest problem.
Best for college students (Server Job)
Server (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 10, 2015
This job is great for college students.

-flexible hours

-401k (21 years or older in GA)

-easy menu

-plenty of hours and shifts to work (people are always trying to give up shifts, and you can get scheduled lots of doubles. if you are good enough you could work all week)

-management struggles with labor, but they ensure the service is 5/5 even though their labor can get high.

-make lots of money, and if you work a lot you will save a lot.

-fun coworkers and management.

-it is like your own mini business

-you can keep to yourself if you are about that

-in a month you can pull in $2,000.00 , more or less. expect that if you are a good server, you sell $1000 in food, you should make $200 that night. if you do that 5 days a week, that's $1000. that's $4000 a month. (this would only happen if you work all doubles and you are a busy store, or it is Christmas season)

WORK HERE! If you do not like it, become a host. or quit! :)
Pros
50% discount on food for you and family and friends. (For friends it depends)
Cons
short breaks, lots of side work, (lots of doubles)
Prodcutive and fun workplace with staff members.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAOctober 2, 2014
A typical day at work. If you open O'Charley's then you have to come in quite early. Your duties are to get all the menu's ready to go. You are in charge of making sure all spray bottles are full so the staff can clean their tables. You need to make sure plates and silverware and ready at the front lobby. Clean the door windows, and walk around the store and make sure all windows are cleaned. You need to check the bathroom's and make sure toilet paper and paper towels are in their. And then when it's time, you unlock the front door. We have a rotation and that's so our staff get's equally sat. And I walk the customers to their assigned table sit them with menu's and let the server know they have a party. I also answer the phone up front, and sometimes plan parties. I learned that hosting takes a lot of concentration. The hardest part of the job, is when we get slammed and tables need to be cleaned so we can sit people. The most enjoyable part of the day is when we come off our rush, and have a hour left of work.
Pros
50% off if you work that day and come in and eat.
Cons
no breaks.
Professional, Productive, Fun
Server (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 22, 2015
Productive and fun filled atmosphere.

I learned the best values of being apart of such an amazing team, where everyone makes sure that guest expectations are exceeding every single time.

Management, doesn't get any better than these amazing people at Logan's! Hands on, rises to all challenges, professional, all about the guest, and making sure we stay on point, getting all hot food to guests...

Co-workers, Amazing

Hardest part, sweeping the floors.

Everything at Logan's was enjoyable for me. Even if it was a rough night, there was always something positive to learn from an error. The management , the FOH, and BOH, all worked together, I have never worked anywhere that could compare to the dedication of customer service and to ensure the employees feel like family, that alone drives a person to want to come to work.
A very interesting work environment.
Dishwasher/ Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNJuly 20, 2015
O'charleys was a very unusual work place. Combining a fun safe environment, that also worked its hardest to become a very fine restaurant compared to the surrounding establishments. A typical day at work would involve coming into work and catching up with fellow employees before beginning my work shift. The management was one of the best that i have worked with before with the exception of some minor inconsistencies. My co-workers were very hard working but could still have a good time when the situation arose. The hardest part of my job was the closing only because I would be one of the last people to leave not from incompetence but because of the work load set upon me at close of day. The most enjoyable part of working at O'charleys was the experiences of meeting up with co-workers and learning culinary arts from well trained chefs.
Pros
an enjoyable environment to work and learn in.
Cons
very rarely was there a breakdown in management that could harm the shift.
Was a good work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 4, 2013
Greeted customers, seated them to their table, took drink orders, cleaned tables, cleaned bathrooms, swept floors, answered phones, customer service.

I learned how to be patient with people no matter what the problem is & get the problem fixed as soon as possible & alert management if necessary.

Got along well with co-workers, never had any problems, they just weren't happy if a hostess double seated them.

There really wasn't any hard parts about this job, i actually really enjoyed my job there but I was in a car accident & had a knee injury from that & had to have surgery so I unfortunately had to resign from my job.
Pros
me & family members got 25% off meals
Cons
rarely got to take a break longer than 5 minutes, sometimes never got a break if we were really busy
Ideal job for me
Hostess (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNDecember 26, 2014
On a typical day it's moderately busy so between running the door and bussing tables it's enough to keep me on my toes but not enough to exhaust me, which is a perfect balance. I have learned that there is a lot more that goes in to working in the food industry and it can become stressful. My managers have been pretty respectful towards me, my co-workers, and guests. My co-workers have been pretty pleasant to work with and they are what makes my job enjoyable because we can have a laugh while still getting our job done. The only hard part about the job is being the only host on when business starts to pick up unexpectedly at the beginning of a shift and you are the only one running the door and bussing tables until the next host comes on.
Pros
tip pools, short shifts, flexible schedule
Great job environment, family oriented, face paced.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Decatur, AlabamaSeptember 27, 2013
A typical day at O'Charley's would be walking in the door with a greeting from the hostess on duty, walk over to the time clock and clock in. After that I would find out who all is to come in that day to work and start a rotation, which is how I seat people. Management always makes their rounds throughout the store as everybody starts to clock in to see if they need anything or just to see how everybody is doing that day. The hardest part of the job is when we get really slammed and there are no tables clean or every booth or table is taken and we have to seat people where there is no server. the best part of the job is coming in and everybody is in a great mood and we laugh and have fun at work. Also, the regulars that come int he door bring joy to the work place as well.
Made enough money to survive, but not enough to progress.
Guest Assistant/Server (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHMay 8, 2014
A day at work varies depending on if you have a night shift or a day shift, or if it is a weekend shift. So it is very unpredictable day to day. I learned how to deal with difficult guests and coworkers. The management has changed a lot within the last few months but had always been poor at communication and not the best at working with availability. The hardest part of the job would be using your time wisely when busy. If you don't make every trip count then you could be running all over the restaurant for small requests. The most enjoyable part of the job are my coworkers. There are a lot of good people that I work with that's why I've been there so long.
A very fast paced, but fun workplace.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILDecember 28, 2015
A work day in O'Charley's is a very busy one, as is with any restaurant. I learned a lot about how to prepare dishes, whether it was a steak dish or a pasta dish. From grilling, sauteing, and frying, I learned all I could working with the company. Management was pretty great during my time there, since they would step in to help out during peak hours. The employees there were very colorful in their backgrounds, but overall friendly nonetheless. The toughest part of working for them, or any restaurant business, are the long, busy hours that come along with the job. But the people can make it worth it.
Pros
Discounted food on or off the clock
Cons
Fluctuating and long hours
A great starter job, typical restaurant job
Guest Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 11, 2013
My experience working at O'charleys seems to be comparable to most others' experiences working in the restaurant industry. You have a multitude of personalities to deal with, and you must cater to each customers dining needs accordingly. A typical work day is anywhere between 4-6 hrs unless otherwise posted, and can become extremely busy. ,My job duties include keeping a clean dining area, seating customers, solving customer issues with manager, filling to-go orders, and sometimes helping to serve food. My favorite part of the job is making sure our customers are comfortable, and have a positive dining experience. My least favorite part of the job is cleaning our dining area, it's not very fun and can become a long, detailed process.
Pros
discounted food, short work shifts
Cons
crowded restaurant, understaffed
Super Busy
Hostess Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJuly 23, 2014
A typical day was extremely busy you came in and started working and usually didn't stop until the time you got off. I learned that organization is very important and being a leader is also very important. The management was always readily available just not always the most understanding. Co-workers were wonderful, everyone helped one another. The hardest part of the job was that it was so busy that a lot of the time you never even got a break, even if you worked from open to close. The hardest part of the job was that I worked almost everyday. The most enjoyable part was that I was busy all the time which makes time go by faster and I also very much enjoy people.
Pros
busy, customer service, fun place to work
Cons
sometimes no break, hardly any days off
Fun, friendly
Server (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHMay 10, 2013
Typical restaurant work; foster a fun and enjoyable environment for customers and co-workers. I learned how to sell and upsell, how to move quickly, and how to get along with a very diverse and eclectic group of people. The management was fairly helpful, some managers more than others. The co-workers made this business what it is. Everyone is willing to help everyone wherever they can. The hardest part of this job is being rushed constantly, but that also makes it fun and the busier you are the more money you're making. The most enjoyable part of this job was the flexibility and the coworkers. It's nice working at a place where everyone is friends in and out of work.
Pros
fun, friendly, work / life balance
Cons
busy, rushing around
Fast-paced, fun, friendly enviroment
Front of the House Coordinator/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 24, 2012
Write up schedule/chart for the day. Make sure front of the restaurant was clean, organized and presentable to guest. Greet and seat guest while accommodating servers and other staff.
I learned how to be responsible for several other people at once, including guest as well as co-workers.
I really enjoyed my co-workers and established many friendships. I was treated with respect and felt very appreciated.
The most difficult part of this job was having to do many things at once, efficiently. Also, the pay wasn't that great.
I loved providing quality customer service and taking on new challenges.
Can't recommend
Restaurant and Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 10, 2013
Although I worked with some good people I would have to say this company is a very poor company to work for. They are trying to run locations on unrealistic budgets. Constantly told "unacceptable" on results but when trying to get any direction to implement changes was always told that we "simply needed to find a way to make it work". 24/7 blame game! Constant meetings, conference calls, webinars & training sessions on days off. Several 7 day work weeks when above responsibilities included.
Cons
70+ hour work weeks & still being made to feel guilty that it wasn't enough
Great atmosphere both FOH and BOH
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 18, 2012
When arriving you view previous days sale and determine what you are going to need to prep for your day. Once prep sheets are filed out you begin preparing items for the day. There may be a morning that your truck arrives at that point you check everything to make sure you have recieved all nesessary items. Hardest part of the job is completing prep in a timely manner to get other things done around the BOH. You do get to meet some great customers along the way, some that feel as if they are family.
Pros
free food, great people
Cons
long hours on some days.