Opened in 1889, O’Connor Hospital was the first hospital in Santa Clara County. The original O’Connor Sanitarium, as it was called, was built by Judge Myles P. O’Connor and his wife Amanda on 15 acres of country property at the corners of Race and West San Carlos streets.
Known for being benefactors of many charitable organizations, the O’Connors’ original intent was to build a sanitarium for the sick, home for the elderly, an asylum for orphans and a school for children, but community needs determined that a hospital was the priority.
O’Connor Hospital’s Emergency Department features 21 beds, board-certified physicians and specialty-trained nurses. O’Connor is home to one of the only family medicine residency programs in the Bay Area, an affiliation with Stanford University. – less