O'Neal Steel Employee Reviews in United States

Great family owned company
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2016
This company allowed you the ability to use your entrepreneurial spirit to do your job as you saw fit. They encouraged you to think outside the box and explore new avenues. They were always fair to the employees and customers.
Worst job I've ever had in my life
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Louisville,KYMarch 27, 2016
Company lied to us about three different raises and Team Leader over CNC Machining was a know it all who was impossible to get along with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Plant manager, team leaders, suck up employees
professional company with opportunity
Automation manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 22, 2016
well managed company with improvements every day. very safe and
well maintained. company improved production by 62% by introducing automation.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
needs more automation equipment to boost sales and production.
Good Place to Work
Regional Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Good Place to Work. Company cares about employees but expect you to do the work of 2 or more people. Great health benefits.
Straight forward products and management
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 16, 2016
Management gave you room to work and build your territory, allowing for your insight on accounts and what was needed to be successful. You worked with a great group of talented inside sales reps and warehouse people that was truly concerned about taking care of our customers.

Training was a little lacking but they did try to make it as easy as possible to learn and gave you good people and resources.
Pros
Clear goals and expectations.
Cons
Loved my job...
Micro Managers
Inside Sales/ Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 15, 2015
The company scrutinizes every detail of your job. You spend more time jumping through hoops than doing the job you were hired for. They are very unfair to their customers, and will do anything it takes to make their reports look good to upper management. The pay is not horrible, but even if it were double it would not be worth the hassle you have to deal with internally on a daily basis.
Pros
40 hr week
Cons
pretty much everything else
Treat their employees with respect.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 29, 2015
Overall not a bad place to work. A tough market has forced them to make tough decisions with their employees. A privately held company. Chairman is a good guy and has a good heart.
Once a great place to work, now not so much
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN Shelbyville, INOctober 26, 2015
When I started my career with O'Neal, it was one of the best employers in town. Warehouse work was dirty, noisy, labor intensive, and I enjoyed every bit of it. The shift supervisors kept floor operations running smoothly, and knew their business. Management was competent although not very approachable or friendly.

The 2008 recession, upper management changes, and company restructuring all combined to turn this from a good place to work into a nightmare of ego trips, incompetence, and massive layoffs of virtually all long time employees.

Layoffs isn't really an accurate description. Technically Reductions in Force, what it really meant was you're fired. And you're fired. And you, you're fired too. All areas saw RIF's, from the sales dept. to the warehouse floor. A lot of the employees that got the boot were long time employees with respectable work records. I personally witnessed people that had given 25+ years of their life to this company get escorted off the property in the same undignified manner as if they had been caught stealing out of the supply closet.

Of course, when you get rid of an experienced and knowledgeable employee, a newer and less competent person has to step in and fulfill those duties. When this happens across the board, you end up with a comedy of errors that is only amusing when you're on the outside looking in. Production, employee morale, and quality of the final product all suffer. By the time I left, poor communication between departments was causing late shipments, Customers were looking elsewhere for more reliable suppliers, and every
  more... employee was looking over their shoulder in fear that they would be the next (but not the last) to get the axe.

Just in case you're wondering, I didn't leave because I was terminated. I quit in disgust. I couldn't stand to go in to work anymore. My attitude was suffering, and it was affecting my home life. Don't believe the chest thumping about being an "industry leader." I'm familiar with several companies that truly are leaders in their field, and this isn't one of them. I'm reminded more of a small child that walks around in his father's shoes and proclaims "I'm a big boy too!"
Pros
Not having to work there
Cons
Having to work there (unless you're management. Then you don't have to worry about consequences)
Good place to work. Very community oriented
Welder-Class "A" (Former Employee) –  Troutville, VASeptember 15, 2015
Good place to work. Work was up and down. Overall good to employees with company picnic and benefits. Great people to work with very helpful co workers. Fast paced so it made the day go by quick.
Team work required
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ambridge, PASeptember 15, 2015
Busy work environment, that stressed customer satisfaction. Multi tasking a necessity to perform daily functions in a timely manner. Shop cleanliness and safety stressed daily
hard work, decent pay, but treats temps like garbage
temp laborer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 14, 2015
Overall a good job. Would be better off full time instead of a temp. The temps work harder because the have something to prove but once they get hired they start slacking. Good people though, just not the best work ethic. The proven is the temps get the shaft by management. Definitely a lot of favoritism and preferential treatment. I would go back but only if desperate for work.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
temps aren't valued
great place to work
team coordinator over 5 to 6 guys at a time (Former Employee) –  birmingham alabamaJuly 20, 2015
a great place to work from the time i was 18 to 28 i lived to learn respect and matured in a company built on morals and high standards

i would come to work look at the customer orders and the dates they were promised to have ready and would focus on those orders first after those orders were done i would look for orders that had weight and quantity involved,the 3 shifts were competing against one another for the amount of production done in a weeks time per shift,based on amount of orders,weight,and pieces,orders going out 48 hours or less were first to be completed then i would sort out the orders to get done involving weight and pieces,my system worked and i am proud to have had that experience to share and relate with.
Pros
brake times
Cons
not a controlled environment
O'Neal Steel - A Family Company
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
O'Neal Steel is a great place to work. Granted, the responsibilities of the job can change dramatically, but the culture maintained in the office is truly that of family.
Pros
Great Team Mates
Cons
No smoke breaks
Oneal Steel
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 15, 2015
Nice place to work but with the workload and job responsibility I would have thought they would have paid more. They have alot of different positions and they believe in hiring from within the company.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Steel worker
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIFebruary 25, 2015
This was a very good place to work not far from home. Cut steel, load trucks, operated machines ran cranes and a challenging job. But the company just didn't seem to want business in this area.
Great Company HAted to leave
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 23, 2015
Great company and really enjoyed working for them. Hated to leave, however comp plan was not of your normal variety and was greatly affected directly by the economic hard times.
ok
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 11, 2015
I like the place it was just slow work which made the day go on and on.. You can learn a lot from the place from welding to machine work and painting
Great Company, Far Drive
Order Puller / Truck Loader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2015
I worked with this company for awhile but the commute every day is just getting out of hand. I drove 1 hour fifteen minutes just to get to work everyday. I learned alot from working here and I'm ready to take my skills and positive work attitude to a company that is closer to the McKinney area.
i enjoyed working with the people i worked with they made the job more interesting while at the same time getting everything on the list done
parts cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ambridge, PADecember 10, 2014
I learned how to get things done quick and safely at the same time, also got along with everyone. I learned to drive fork lift and operate overhead crane better each day. i never had any problems with anyone if i asked for help someone would be over to help shortly after it was a nice place to work.
Pros
free lunch from time to time
long days with little personal gain
Parts Manager (Current Employee) –  Ambridge, PADecember 1, 2014