O'Neal Steel Employee Reviews

Management was terriablable
CNC Drill Operator (Former Employee) –  Ambridge, PAJanuary 17, 2018
It was the wild west. People's did what ever they wanted they chose favorite. Once new management was in place. No t good work vices. But the job it self was fun
Not sure
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, VAJanuary 6, 2018
My time there was alright, company abruptly shut down and changed owners so I got the boot. They only saved a handful of employees and reopened under a new name.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
No overtime
Productive & positive workplace
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 2, 2018
Great company to work for offer many different things. I'd love to work with them again if I get the chance to. Also mangement there is awesome and well put together!
Pros
Great benefits & employers
Cons
Weather conditions
Good work environment
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INDecember 18, 2017
The company did not pay well but they treated their team members very well. Time off for the holidays. A Holiday ham for every team member. It may not be a lot but they did little things to let the team know they were appreciated.
Pros
they cared
Cons
steel work is not easy.
great
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 18, 2017
I mean, come on, bottom line is you need a job…they have a job they need filled…it’s basic math, right?!

Actually, it’s not, and like any and all questions an interviewer is asking you, it’s not as simple as it might seem.

In fact, this question is far from simple and while it seems like they’re asking you for just one straightforward bit of information, they are actually asking you for two very complex answers…and therein that complexity lies the stumbling block.
Watch your back
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ambridge, PASeptember 29, 2017
The place is very cut throat. No teamwork at all even though that's all management talks about. Management will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat
Pros
Great fellow workers
Cons
Don't use employees to the best of their abilities
overhead crane operator
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 19, 2017
load and unload trucks, pulled orders, ban and wrap steel coils daily, got to interact with other co workers while getting work done. enjoyed it until I got laid off. never called back to work
Pros
the pay
Cons
n/a
Good teamwork.
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 6, 2017
I learned a lot of skills to do my job well, such as driving the forklift, doing inventory, shipping dept, wrapping pallets, loading / unloading trucks.
Pros
Good teamwork, management, benefits.
Cons
Breathing environment.... chipping & grinding dust particles in the air.
Fast paced manufacturing
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2017
Fast paced environment. Rewarding for well trained welders including entry level.Production based workloads with specialzed duties for workers.Excellent working environment with safety in mind.
Pros
Free food on occasion and great benefits
Cons
Short breaks.
great
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2017
for good paying job in houston tx. loved working for this company everyday. felt very important at what i did everyday at work. great benefits, great everything

Want to know more about O'Neal Steel?

Ask a question
Place started out ok,then endd up being a joke
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INJuly 12, 2017
The co workers were pretty awesome, but management left a lot to be desired, I was terminated for serving my country by taking on a temporary assignment in the Indiana Army National Guard by a manager who retained their job after wrecking the company truck while too drunk to walk let alone drive.
Pros
co workers
Cons
priorities all messed up
Very reputable company
Inventory Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2017
* A typical day of work obviously depends upon position. Lots of time on the computer.
* Great training program. Very well rounded.
* All managers are very friendly and have an open door policy. Willing to help with whatever you need.
* The culture is great. Very family friendly atmosphere. Always doing holiday parties and office parties for Birthdays, new babies, etc.
* The steel industry can be volatile based on the economy. When it's great it's great. When it's bad it is really bad.
Pros
Great compensation and benefits and work/life balance.
Cons
Volatile Industry
Fun Workplace environment
Inside Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 22, 2017
Great co-workers made for a very great work life. Management was kind and understanding, but firm when they needed to be. Overall it was a nice place to work.
Hard place to work
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 31, 2017
They always wanted more work, I was working through my lunch breaks trying to appease them and every day they complained more. They give you people who have no experience and expect you to lead them like a proficient crew. The managers there talk to you like you're a dog. My entire career i have never had someone so unsatisfied with my work and at the same time gotten paid so little. Not a good place!
Pros
Cons
Bad pay, people with no experience, will want to punch the salespeople because they will make your job harder for a buck with no qualms
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 24, 2017
parts cleaning is a hard job but fun at the same time. I learned that you can cut metal. Management is bad. workplace is good environment. Hardest part of the job is getting production on time. I enjoy my co workers at work.
with all of us together we made it fun
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COApril 1, 2017
there closed now. it was fun when i worked there. we screwed around and got alot of work done which probably isnt a good combo to get work done but we really did bust our humps there. and we made the company alot of money in the process.
good company to work for
sales/operations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 30, 2017
I put in a good company to work for, it was up until 2010, they hired new management from the outside instead of seeking within the company, they decided to down size and a lot of good employees lost their job. I really thought at one time that O'Neal was the place were I was going to rest my hat when my working days were complete. Over all a very good company to work for back in the day!!
Pros
good and knowledgable people
Cons
Headquaters management
Product Specialist of HR Structural in SCM (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 8, 2017
Family based company looking for young starters who can manage a basic operating system and maintain good customer relationships internally and externally at entry level positions.
Great work life balance
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 19, 2017
They are great about working around family issues that may arise. The incentives they offer throughout the year make working at this company fun.
Omg
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 12, 2016
Management will forever you if you even question their decisions. All management are on the "buddy buddy" system and the ones that advance are totally unqualified. The pay is ok and the jobs are not hard and they have pretty good insurance. My coworkers are the greatest. They are unfair and tell lies right in front of your face. Don't work here. Point blank
Pros
Insurance