O'Neal Steel Employee Reviews

Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 24, 2017
parts cleaning is a hard job but fun at the same time. I learned that you can cut metal. Management is bad. workplace is good environment. Hardest part of the job is getting production on time. I enjoy my co workers at work.
good company to work for
sales/operations (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 30, 2017
I put in a good company to work for, it was up until 2010, they hired new management from the outside instead of seeking within the company, they decided to down size and a lot of good employees lost their job. I really thought at one time that O'Neal was the place were I was going to rest my hat when my working days were complete. Over all a very good company to work for back in the day!!
Pros
good and knowledgable people
Cons
Headquaters management
Great work life balance
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 19, 2017
They are great about working around family issues that may arise. The incentives they offer throughout the year make working at this company fun.
Omg
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 12, 2016
Management will forever you if you even question their decisions. All management are on the "buddy buddy" system and the ones that advance are totally unqualified. The pay is ok and the jobs are not hard and they have pretty good insurance. My coworkers are the greatest. They are unfair and tell lies right in front of your face. Don't work here. Point blank
Pros
Insurance
Best place to ever work for. But they closed our branch in Clifton, NJ
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJDecember 10, 2016
Before we were O'Neal Steel, we were Denman & Davis and it was the best company to work for. Friendly and fun co workers and management. Wonderful customers. Work was plentiful and easy to manage.
Pros
Parties, long lunch hours, breaks
Cons
No cons
Run away from this place
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 10, 2016
Corporate management is a joke. Districts are run totally by corporate office. They hire outsiders who know nothing about the business to be corporate puppets or yes men. Corporate bosses are incompetent good ole' boy products and you are a threat if you know your stuff and question them. Their solution to every problem is to fire someone. This used to be a good place to work 15 years ago but has since been on a death spiral.
Benefits
Cons
Do not work here terrible place
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 3, 2016
Management is a joke expect a salaried employees to work 7 days week and pay for 5. If you are sick or have family emergency you will be penailed for leaving. Pay ok but no raise or bonus in years despite promised. Do not work here no structure wait unail orders due to ship to even start. EXPECT you to work all night if need to while management takes off. WILL not let you use vacation you are owed but will not pay you for it. Queston management at all and will fire you for it. RUN far away from this company.
Co-workers
Trumpf Laser Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 26, 2016
My co-workers at Oneal steel are the best I have ever had. They make my day easier and are a great group of guys. Working for Oneal you can expect a lot of 6 and 7 day mandatory work weeks. You do get paid every week which is a plus.
Privately-held Company
Quality Assurance/Continual Improvement Manager (Former Employee) –  VariousOctober 18, 2016
O'Neal Steel is family-owned in a very tough metal distribution market. The company has grown and contracted over the years. It is in a down cycle currently.
Terrible Place to Work
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 10, 2016
Don't work here. If you have a family not a good place to work. They make 7 days a week work hours mandatory, then try to fire you if you get sick or can't work 30 days straight.
Safe, enjoyable work enviroment
Saw operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 6, 2016
The company focused on safety, of employees andd equipment. Worked with variety of people and equipment, which for me, provided proper balance, no two days were the same.
Pros
Benifts
Cons
Corporate level managment, not understanding nor apreciative of work done to support the customers or operations.
This place is terrible
Welder (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 31, 2016
This place sucks stay away won't even let you set your own welder don't appreciate anything you do above and beyond your job stay away probably one of the worst place I ever worked
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Terrible management
Family Oriented company
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 25, 2016
O'Neal is a great place to work, management is very involved and communicates all the changes and necessary information. The people are great to work with and its a family oriented company. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the constant changes.
Enjoyed the people and rhe company
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, IN and IndianapolisJuly 26, 2016
Worked their for almost 30yrs worked as a packer and a assembly then moved up to receiving checking material and calling customers and receiving the product in on the computer. Them moved up to shipping scheduling truck calling in truck and doing the bill of lading and getting the paper work together and the material.
Pros
Good insurance and great people to work with
Hard work
Wharehouse Craftsman 3 (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 13, 2016
A normal day was going in and pulling orders for customers. I learned how to run over head cranes, drive trucks in the yard, load trucks for shipping out to clients. Meeting new people.The hardest part of my job was manual labor. Knowing that we were appreciated and rewarded with bonus.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Manual labor
Structured
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 2, 2016
Outside sales, establishing and maintaining positive relations with customers was the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was meeting the quota of ten customers called on per day then coming home to hours of reports. Office support for the most part was adequate but difficult at times as they were extremely understaffed with all of the vacation time accrued.
Employee eater
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 11, 2016
Work there a few weeks reluctantly through a temp service. Informed the company along with the temp service of prior medical issues and reiterated to both parties once I was brought aboard. Informed management the day prior of medical appointments and had everything cleared only to find out the next morning I was cut loose because of a.m. Would not and will not ever give that company or the temp service my time again. The pay was mediocre, the people excluding management were great and management needs a major overhaul.
Cons
Lies lies lies
Great family owned company
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 5, 2016
This company allowed you the ability to use your entrepreneurial spirit to do your job as you saw fit. They encouraged you to think outside the box and explore new avenues. They were always fair to the employees and customers.
Worst job I've ever had in my life
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Louisville,KYMarch 27, 2016
Company lied to us about three different raises and Team Leader over CNC Machining was a know it all who was impossible to get along with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Plant manager, team leaders, suck up employees
O'Neal Steel was a fast paced and exciting place to work.
CNC Brake Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 9, 2016
Despite being laid off, O'Neal brought me back to work. A great company with only decent management. Sometimes we worked 20-25 days straight without a day off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at O'Neal Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9