O-I Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work. Our foremans were very knowledgeable
Machine Repair Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Brockport, PAJanuary 31, 2015
Whether I was working on mechanical assemblies or wiring machines, it seems like we had new and interesting jobs quite often. I learned quite a lot about hydraulic, pneumatic, and mechanical assembly. Management at our plant were very capable, but the last machine that was engineered as state of the art from Toledo Engineering was a mess. It was ultimately how I lost my job, because they decided to buy our machines from another vendor.
As far as co-workers, we had the usual amount of workers who were difficult and gave people a hard time, but most of our guys were a good lot to work with.
The hardest part of the job for me was being bent over a box for 12 hours when we were doing work in section boxes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having a good machine run in, and being ahead of schedule.
Pros
great benefits, paid vacation and holidays and schooling.
Cons
communications problems between union and company officials.
Eight hour workout!!!
Selecting-laborer (Former Employee) –  Clarion, PAAugust 4, 2013
This job was plain and simply controlled chaos. No sooner did you clock in and the next thing you knew, it was time to clock out. It did not matter whether you worked 7-3, 3-11, or 11-7, fast, fast, fast. We worked all 3 shifts...11-7 for 5 days, then 2 days off...3-11 for 5 days, then 1 day off....Then 7-3 for 5 days, then 2 days off. No one liked 7-3, that was when all of management would try to run things their way all at once and things never went smoothly like 2nd and 3rd shift did.

Great pay, great benefits, union job, and great people to work with...I miss this job and the overtime.
Pros
time and a 1/2 on sundays. triple time for holidays. double time on easter sunday.
Cons
old equipment and conveyor systems always broke down.
Corrugated Box Sales Rep.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 9, 2013
I enjoyed this job. I meet many interesting people, saw many interesting businesses, worked on fun projects and learn plenty in doing it all.
In the late 1980s when corporate raiders were grabbing profitable businesses, KKR bought O-I. KKR decided that the Forest Products was in a low margin business and sold it to another paper company. That paper company was taken over by another raider, broken into parts and sold to Georgia-Pacific and Packaging Corporation of America (PCA).
That was when I saw an opportunity to start Diversified Packaging Company. I left O-I and did that.
Pros
big company that could influence markets.
Cons
big company that was locked into a declining market and no way to quickly adjust.
Bullies and harassment in the work place.
Multicraft Gauging Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 15, 2012
I belive O-I was doing their best to prevent bullies and harassment in the work place. The bullies stopped for a while, than it got worse. Reporting this kind of trouble, only caused the harassment to get worse. New management only added to the problem, for they did not know the history of these bullies and lazy maintenance employees. I finally could not handle it anymore, so I gave notice to quit. I loved working the shift I was assigned, and had no problems with any of the employees on that shift. Sorry, bullies sometimes get away with harassment. Thank You. JMG
Pros
free lunches, medical check ups
Cons
bullies got away with harassment, and set you to fail.
Enjoyed learning new skills, different than my prior experience on other jobs.
Troubleshooter (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 12, 2015
I learned how operated the mold machines, and i enjoyed the relationship with all employees and supervisors, the best part of this job was the recognition of my effort by been promoted from Utility Attendant to Troubleshooter on earlier period of time, plus the full package of benefits. The hardest part was running 8 mold machines every shift, but i was able to performed sucesfully.
Pros
I feel like working with family, everyone helped me on training.
Cons
Senioriry on positions for different shisfts.
No vision for the company or employees
IT Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 30, 2013
I have been there a total of ten years and over the years moral and direction has gone down tremendously. New talent stays long enough to be able to put O-I on their resume in order to advance to a better paying job.
Current employee culture is uneasy and always wondering who is going to get the ax next.
Pros
local
Cons
direction, moral, psychological contract between the employee and employer does not exist.
Fun with growth
Journeyman Operator (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAFebruary 14, 2014
Great job for a lifetime. Great wages and benefits. Advancement opportunity. 24/7 operation with plenty of available overtime. Hard job that payed well. Very high heat and noise operation. Very dirty. Hardest part of the job was the rotating shift work and the heat. Developing close working relationship to co workers was a must due to required close proximity of persons. Required due to high noise. Had to be close to hear instruction. The closeness was also one of the best parts of the job. Developed many good friends.
Pros
insurace, wages, opportunity, stability, overtime
Cons
heat, noise, rotating shifts
to much corperate arrogance
Set-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, ILMay 30, 2015
the plant i worked in was bought out at least 6 times while i worked there, owens was the last while i was there, graham bought them out and liquidated the place, during my tenure, we went from 13 machines to 54, that in itself is impressive,but unfortunatly the management team was totally self absorbed and only concerned with their paycheck and not the health/ viability of the plant, thus the downfall of it, that is the reason i left and joined cks
A lot of stress but was a decent company
Silkscreen Finished Good Specialist (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYAugust 28, 2014
OI was a union ship so their rules were upheld. I had to come to work, you had to be on time and you had to produce productive work. Management was good. I would definitely say that working in the office was much better than working in production.
Pros
not many. pizza once in a while and nice christmas party.
Cons
long maniditory hours and some weekends. very fast pace on production floor.
A great place to work.
Leher Attandant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2015
You come in do your job and you go home. The management team treats you with respect. You work with people who has a lot of knowledge about there job. The hardest thing when work up on platforms is the stairs. You are constantly going up and down them all shift. In closing I say again it is a great place to work.
Pros
overtime is your choice. it's not mandatory.
Cons
work environment it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Very laid back job but can get very hectik if machines are running bad.
Forklift Operator - Load Building Department (Former Employee) –  Robinson, TXOctober 12, 2014
I loved working for owens. Very good pay and very cool people, they do let people get away with pretty much anything thow. they need to do more drug testing and fire people instead of letting them just go to rehab and come back to work.
Pros
the pay is very god
Cons
shift work gets old and working with alcholics and drug addicts
Learning type job
Packing/ Selecting (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2015
Work 8 hour shift face pace job, keeps you busy and I learn how glass is made. Management was not that great at listen to employee suggestion about how job could be ran better.I enjoy my co-workers they understood the team work. When people didn't come to work and pick up the slack do more than one job at time. My days off!
good place to work
Machine Repair Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 19, 2012
ran the machine repair shop over seen all job changes.made shore hot end had the parts needed to do their job.management great to work with .co-workers good to work with .making sur all shifts were covered had parts to work with working with my guys in shop and on floor great bunch of guys
Pros
teaching to ones who wanted to learn
Cons
all ways at work or on phone helping mech.trouble shoot
Nice place
paymaster (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYApril 13, 2015
This was a nice place to work for and always busy. I was a temp and knew I would not be hired on, I was sent to get a job done and that's what I did. The hardest part is to get everyone to work as a team, I learned to stay on top of thing or they would fall through the cracks fast.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
No one wanted to work as a team
Very hard work under bad Conditions
Machine Repair/Machinist (Former Employee) –  Brockway PaFebruary 16, 2014
Traveled and worked in the hot end for 13 years than bid into the Mill and lathe side. Worked there for 13 more years on cnc and manual mill, griders and lathes. Worked on quality issues for 6 years with extensive blueprint reading and micrometer use.
Worse job ever
Production worker (Former Employee) –  ToanoAugust 10, 2014
Loud, dirty, management is terrible, union is a joke; NOT drug free, and management doesn't care about harassment either! No family life! Stay far far away!!! Will ruin any life you might want to hold stable.
Pros
insurance
Cons
everything
O-I Review
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYMay 16, 2015
O-I is a global glass container manufacturing company with a plant in Auburn, NY that I am affiliated with. I have enjoyed my experience at O-I thus far and hope for a promising future. I would recommend employment at O-I to others.
Unstable work environment
Electro/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Windsor, COAugust 28, 2014
The management structure has had several major restructurings in the past two years. Each time job security takes a hit. What use to be a fairly stable job has become a day by day uncertainty.
Many things to learn
Consultant/Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Toledo, ohAugust 7, 2015
everyone was friendly and easy to work with. There were many different technical challenges. It was a great way to gain experience in the IT industry.
Pros
easy to learn new things
Cons
working 3rd shift on weekends
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Lead Quality Auditor Inspector (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 28, 2014
Good management. Always knew what direction it was headed.
Clean. Management respected employees. Work was not hard. You had plenty to do but was not overloaded
Pros
free lunches, coffee
Cons
sold out