O-I Employee Reviews in United States

Last 10 years quality don't exist
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 3, 2016
I learned how to make glass,check quality, measures and especifications, a lot of good co-workers and few good managements, and the hardest part of my job it was don't have good tools to do my work (always said no money to buy) and the most enjoyable part of my job, when I saw the bottles (good bottles) in the stores or winery full of liquid and ready to sale
Pros
Chance to get diferents kinds of work
Cons
To many supervisors (to many changes)
Grueling tedious work
Palletizer Operator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYJuly 16, 2016
12 hour shifts of fast passed work. Supervisor snaps easily and the palletizer job can be stressful.
Horrible job in windsor
Selecting (Former Employee) –  Windsor, COJune 18, 2016
The only good thing about OI was the pay and benefits. Employees were treated very poorly by management and the HR department is extremely biased and racist. Very rarely is good work appreciated and unless you are buddy buddy with management there's no possibility of advancing in the company. Don't apply unless you're capable of taking no pride in you're work!
Pros
Pay
Cons
HR Management Teamwork Rotating Shifts etc
Edison N J Plastic
Y110 Beckum, BC-3 & Jomar operator batch blender (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 4, 2016
I worked at O-I 1972 -1976, Juggling work & college. Working there starting as a packer leaving as a Y110 operator. It was hot in summer, you couldn't have ac because the machines were heated to melt plastic beads to blow or injection molded bottles. Great group of fellow workers about the best I ever worked with. By far better than any office I've been in. Of course you had a couple of rats, like all companies have, untrustworthy garbage of society. We socialized after work and played sports outside on the property. Pay was alright at the time, benefits were good, pension plan. Then in the early 1980's the plant closed. I'm looking fro workers that were there in the early 1970's . I now like just down the street from the plant. Small World.
Pros
good pay & benefit pkg.
Cons
Some jobs were hard, you had to hustle but everyone carried their weight.
A good place to work
industrial shift mechanic (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 11, 2016
I was a happy mechanic, working in O-I, working with my hands and my knowlaged, everybody was like family from managers( Mr T,H R pam,and fellow mechanics,until it closed for good.
Pros
free lunches lots of chiken
Cons
To close to alameda
Good work environment
Global Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 11, 2016
Depending on the department, the work environment is very collaborative. Ideas are heard and employees supported. If you work on the Global Service Desk, expect different treatment. That team has a lead that is more interested in moving up then the people on the team. If you are one of the ones that are liked, you will be treated well.
enjoyed my job i stayed 40 years retired want to back to work i miss working
maintenance journey (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHMay 10, 2016
layed out work for group along with plant engerneer to maintain factory and production all systems air compressors/water systems glass furnances
Overall this was a fantastic place to work.
Journeyman Electronics Tech (Former Employee) –  Brockport, PAApril 25, 2016
O-I Brockway was a very good company to work for, unfortunately after they quit building machines my opportunities for transfer or advancement disappeared and I was forced to retire.
A typical day of work was either rebuilding mechanical mechanisms or wiring machines.
I learned a lot about teamwork, how to earn respect and give it, and a lot about how to get the most out of people.
Management for the most part were good at their specialties.
My co-workers were good people as O-I tried to hire people who were productive and intelligent.
The hardest part of the job was Company-Union relations.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having a job I was able to support my family with.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Cons
How to get work out of a Union employee
Not a long term job
MILLWRIGHT GENREAL MAINTENANCE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 17, 2016
Good pay with bad hours and bad work environment. Don't work here unless you have to. Rotating weekly shift and constant call ins.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
bad work environment
safe production work environment
Quality Control Lead (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAApril 4, 2016
work unsupervised , with out breaks at time ,meeting production goal, rotation shifts change to short ,, must work week end s and holidays , working in heat at time above 100 degrees with no air conditioning units working.
Pros
pay, benifits
Cons
rotation shift turn around to short weekly. work in hot, and uncomfotable heat
Great place to work at! I have gained tremendous Labor Relations experience with O-I
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernon, CAMarch 29, 2016
I usually start around 5 AM and leave at 5 PM. With approximately 300 employees, it's can be challenging at times.

Pros
Great team
Cons
Need more challenges !
Productive place to work
Mechanic/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamlet, NCMarch 17, 2016
Set up crew leader/mechanic. Best placed I ever worked at until they closed. Made lot of good friends there. Good management, good people to work with.
Pros
Cons
It shut down
OI - most technically advanced glass company in world
Area Performance Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Worked from home - Prospect, KYFebruary 28, 2016
Learned an amazing amount about the glass manufacturing process.
Already had customer experience, knew a lot about bottling production lines, equipment, troubleshooting.
My responsibilities were to go to local area customers, Beam, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve / Brown Foreman Louisville bottling locations routinely and as needed to represent OI, but to ultimately assist customers in identifying root causes of issues on lines.....supply related, operator error, or machine set up. Most important part was using interpersonal skills and knowledge to build trusting partnerships with operators, mechanics, electricians....all the way up to the plant managers. I was also responsible for determining disposition of problematic ware, and oversee resorting of said ware if rejected. Hardest part of job was when OI (we) could not supply quality ware to fulfill customer production requirements. Most enjoyable was the relationships and teams that were built with the customers at all levels.
Pros
Set own schedule to satisfy customers
Cons
Different managers were involved with different customers.....directions were not always in sync
We did a full SAP install and the PM had never installed an ERP before.
SAP / BI Reporting Manager (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHFebruary 9, 2016
They hired Accenture because several of the Managers had worked for Accenture before.

Generally they did things right but so many processes were all messed up.

- instead of having a list of things that had to get done they let the process team leads choose what they were going to do.
- this really infuriated the users because they did not get things done that they needed.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Not well lead.
O-I is a great place to start your career
manager supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 11, 2016
OI has been a company in transition for past 10 years and like anything else, goes through cycles of ups and downs. The new CEO is will be attempting to rejuvenate the culture and operations. The company recently implemented SAP and is learning to work with this complicated and often cumbersome system. The younger employees will excel with this and benefit greatly from the experience.
Poor
Quality Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKOctober 19, 2015
The location at which I worked was not a family friendly place to work. The hours were long and the expectation was for everyone to do the same job, not the job for which they were hired.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 22, 2015
Rotating shifts all around. mornings 1 week swing the next and then graveyard after that. then start all over again. however once you get past that part it is a great place to work. Great pay. Fantastic benefits. No boss breathing down your neck. you do your job and your left alone to do it.
O-I has been a great place for me.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 8, 2015
O-I has been a great place for me. They have treated me fairly and has as much overtime as you can handle. There was always something that needed to be done.
Many things to learn
Consultant/Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Toledo, ohAugust 7, 2015
everyone was friendly and easy to work with. There were many different technical challenges. It was a great way to gain experience in the IT industry.
Pros
easy to learn new things
Cons
working 3rd shift on weekends
Swing shift is insane
Box assembler (Former Employee) –  Lapel, INAugust 1, 2015
Although the pay and benefits were good, the swing shift is no way to run a company. I was told that the union employees voted to keep the swing shift and that's why it is still in effect. While I worked there, everyone was looking for another job because of the swing shift and poor management.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Swing shift