The Technical Services Engineer will provide world class technical support to existing and potential customers in transportation markets. Incumbent will lead product development and approval from start to finish. This position will work closely with the Commercial team to prepare formal project proposals for the customer, develop products that are proven to meet the specifications established by the customer and which meet the margin goals defined by OMNOVA’s Management using OMN Stage Gate processes, successfully scaling up and qualifying new products for mass production. Incumbent will work with the commercial team assisting with project planning, product quality, communications with the customers defined contacts, APQP documentations, delivery of samples and prototypes, development of standard operating procedures for mass production management and change management. Engineer will also be working with Supply Chain to establish contact with potential suppliers and to establish service and supply agreements.
- Provide technical support to key accounts in transportation markets
- Manage various projects by identifying the project scope, specific actions and to ensure timely progress and delivery of projects.
- Identify test protocols and certifications required by the customer, implement relevant internal test methods and demonstrate product design meets performance specifications.
- Maintain project documentation in accordance with relevant protocols and standards e.g. Automotive APQP, TS etc.
- Conduct or supervise laboratory testing as required to evaluate performance of product samples supplied by OMNOVA Asia or third parties.
- Work with commercial team to define the opportunity in the targeted market segments and visit target customers to fully define the current products and processes used, profile the incumbent suppliers, product specifications and benchmark performance.
- Identify the specific product near and mid opportunities for OMNOVA. Identify gaps in current OMNOVA product portfolio and capabilities.
- Define Technology and NPD programs to address opportunities and fill gaps.
- Define and document current product and technology capabilities in Automotive Seating, DP/IP, Vinyl alternatives and all other relevant product types.
- Deliver in depth training for US commercial managers and sales team as needed.
- Lead product development programs in target markets as defined in the 2013 AOP and as identified by the commercial team
- Work with OMNOVA Process Engineering and Lean Six Sigma teams on projects as defined to support the Divisions continuous improvement initiatives.
- BS Marketing, Business, or Technical discipline
- 3 to 7 years sales, marketing, business experience in manufacturing industry with a preference for printing, goods manufacture, polymer processing or automotive, mass transit or similar transportation markets.
- Strong project management, business acumen, organizational and critical observation and thinking skills
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities - bias for action with a proven track record of achieving results
- Excellent communications skills (written, verbal, presentation) with the ability to effectively relay both business and technical information to a wide variety of audiences
- Computer proficiency required, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; SAP background preferred
- Ability to manage multiple needs/tasks at a time
- Ability to excel in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment while being an effective team player
- A positive and constructive attitude towards learning
- Demonstrated assignment adaptability
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 40%