Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Fun to work places
Internship (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 18, 2017
Perfect places to develop yourself. To be part of the bigger project and work among world class scientists. I learned a lot of new technologies.Everyone is very friendly and helpful. If you have chances to come and work here, do it.
A place that transforms you to highly productive and knowledgable scientist
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 16, 2017
If you have the passion for learning and bringing new ideas, ORNL will support you in all regards. The lab provides a very friendly working environment and most of the people would be happy to help you and exchange research ideas and guide you in the right direction.
Another day in paradise
Non-Researcher (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 10, 2017
Always work to be done. Always new science and operational challenges that provide constant opportunities to succeed. R&D is what generates the billable hours - something to remember.
Pros
Flex hours, good benefits but takes forever to get beyond 2 wk/year vacation.
Cons
Significant organizational entropy, Sometimes trading freedom to innovate for good project management, Commute >20 mins from any home location.
Great pay, great location, funding driven culture, competitive
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 3, 2017
ORNL is a great place to work given that you have funding. Funding that is available is typically temporary which means that a search for the next funding source is ALWAYS on. Some may enjoy this competitive atmosphere, and great science CAN be done within it.
Pros
Great pay, great location, great science
Cons
Funding driven culture, lots of unpaid work
Great place to intern
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJune 25, 2017
Oak Ridge is a great place for a summer intern. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. The researchers found meaningful projects that were interesting and impactful for interns. There was plenty of opportunity to learn about other work going on and get great career advice.
Productive environment, generally supportive
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJune 15, 2017
As an R&D person, we are expected to work on multiple projects and be ready to help as needed. I'm always busy, there's always work to be done. Advancement is slow but possible.
Pros
I'm always learning.
Cons
Must learn to navigate bureaucracy and have patience.
Productive and good team interaction
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJune 3, 2017
intensity of the research (at times was bulky). Good management. Good team interaction. The team was hard working. The hardest part was the long hours and the most enjoyable was carrying out the research.
Pros
adequate pay for job done
Cons
A very interesting place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 29, 2017
I absolutely loved my time working at ORNL. I learned a lot of cool things. As well as how to be organized and efficient with my work. I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in the science, technician, and engineering careers.
Pros
Get to meet a diverse group of people
research and development
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 14, 2017
Worked here as a post-doctoral researcher and had a very good manager who understood work life balance. Manager provided clear goals and timelines but did not micromanage and this allowed for high quality work.
Pros
Great mentors and collaborators
Cons
location
Going down fast
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 9, 2017
Since contract changed the place has gone from ok to horrible. I would not recommend it to anyone unless I really didn't like the person. The managers are totally disconnected from the work or just plan working. They stay are either in classes or hosting functions. Managers that are usually engineers making a good money and 99% of their time is spent going to events or planning social events (mostly for themselves). You want to see your tax money being wasted it's the perfect place. The safety conditions are bad and the place is falling down like the whole town.
Pros
Work at playing and bs
Cons
Place and town are terrible

Want to know more about Oak Ridge National Laboratory?

Ask a question
Great learning envionment
Computational Materials Science Internship Fellow (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 29, 2017
A typical day consisted of running computer simulations and writing BASH script to manage data. The hardest part of the job was trying to complete a research project in 9 weeks.
It is a good place too work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 6, 2017
Nice people to work with. Can set up a broad corporation inside/outside the lab. Post-docs may be difficult to transfer to staff in the future. A bit far away from home, needs to drive ~20 mins to the closest apartment.
Great place to work that really matters!
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMarch 21, 2017
Never have I worked with a group more committed to working together to achieve their goals. Every day was new and exciting experience and I have made long lasting relationships with colleagues to this day.
Pros
Challenging, great working environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 13, 2017
Nice laboratory facilities and beautiful area to live in Knoxville Tennessee. I worked at a satellite campus and did not have to pass through the security barrier on a daily basis.
Pros
Gods area to live
Cons
Low salary
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMarch 2, 2017
The people are great and lots of interesting science is being done. Overall lab culture is great. Lots of events to get various departments to interact.
Working with some of the world's brightest people makes for a rewarding environment.
Media Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 24, 2017
Brilliant people solving some of the nation's top problems creates a chance to work in a rewarding environment. My job is to translate into relevance to the average person the great science being done at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Pros
Pace, challenge, enviornment
Productive station
Graduate student user (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 8, 2017
Staff in ORNL is super nice and willing to assist you to fulfill your project. Tools there is cool for researchers. I feel happy to be an user during my Ph. D. every time I went there and become very productive, which means that I obtained 50 more devices than the number of devices I usually work at my university.
The scene at the ridges are nice and sometimes you can jog or run along the lake, especially when you have a long day for device fabrication.
Great Pay and Benefits
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 7, 2017
It's a really nice place to work. We get a 2 percent raise every 6 months, just like the staff. However, they usually limit post-doc appointments to 3 years without a lot of flexibility which can be tough around job transition time.
Enjoyable work environment
First Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 27, 2016
Enjoyable work environment. Flexible work hours and good benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with Emergency Management professionals across the state,
Good place for research
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNNovember 30, 2016
It is a wonderful place for research. You can focus on your project with your team members. Research project will change with five years.
Pros
good for research
Cons
funding challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4