Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Great Pay and Benefits
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 7, 2017
It's a really nice place to work. We get a 2 percent raise every 6 months, just like the staff. However, they usually limit post-doc appointments to 3 years without a lot of flexibility which can be tough around job transition time.
Enjoyable work environment
First Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 27, 2016
Enjoyable work environment. Flexible work hours and good benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with Emergency Management professionals across the state,
Provides a new opportunity to learn something new
Engineering Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNOctober 31, 2016
A typical day consisted of a 10-15 minute morning meeting to discuss our most recent projects. I learned a lot about the different types of drafting (electrical, structural, HVAC/Plumbing, Mechanical). The managers I had were very knowledgeable and easy to communicate with. My co-workers were very enthusiastic and eager to help me at a moment's notice. The hardest part of my job was staying focused on one task. The most enjoyable part was being able to walk around campus and learn about the process of splitting neutrons
Pros
on-site cafeteria
Cons
short breaks
Productive station
Graduate student user (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 8, 2017
Staff in ORNL is super nice and willing to assist you to fulfill your project. Tools there is cool for researchers. I feel happy to be an user during my Ph. D. every time I went there and become very productive, which means that I obtained 50 more devices than the number of devices I usually work at my university.
The scene at the ridges are nice and sometimes you can jog or run along the lake, especially when you have a long day for device fabrication.
Great experience with great benefits for students.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNAugust 9, 2016
Exposure to professional work environment with high pay (for a student with limited availability). Flexible work hours and close collaboration with fellow peers is highly desirable. The mentor assigned to you can greatly affect your experience though. Most mentors are down to earth and practical but there are some that could be considered workaholics. This case leads to blurred lines between job work and personal life due to the great volume of work required. Don't stretch yourself beyond your means and never be afraid to speak up when you need something (whether it be time or resources). Mentors are understanding of how demanding a student's curriculum is and are swift to ease of the throttle once reminded of this.
Pros
flexible hours, good pay
Cons
can be demanding
Data Evaluation/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 17, 2016
Retired from excellent company. Great management from top down. Learned many new skills. Great attention to paid to safety and employee health. Good benefits.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Good resource for research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNNovember 15, 2016
Depend on what position you are in, your life is different. Also, you work is stressful or not is depend on your boss. As a post-master or post-doctor, you can learn a lot from your mentor. But, this is only a temporary job. Whether you can hold this job is not depend on your performance, it is depend on the funding.
Good place for research
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNNovember 30, 2016
It is a wonderful place for research. You can focus on your project with your team members. Research project will change with five years.
Pros
good for research
Cons
funding challenge
great place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNNovember 29, 2016
Great place to meet smart people and you have chance to investigate the interesting science using the most powerful neutron instruments.
AWESOME Group of People - Great workplace!
Administrative Assistant/Records (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJanuary 14, 2014
Total years with ORNL as both full-time/permanent and contract employee: 10+

A typical day at work is BUSY, but working with fantastic teams, learning something new almost every day (with really organized management teams and fantastic co-workers), not to mention great benefits, advancement opportunities and pay - one cannot go wrong with this company. If you desire to work with a company on the cutting edge, this is for you.

Hardest part of the job: properly and effectively categorizing and managing time and project deadlines

Most enjoyable part of the job: overall fantastic work teams in a multitude of departments, not just a few, good training, great equipment to do your job properly and management and coworkers who truly care about you and your career goals and are willing to help you achieve them.
Pros
great pay and benefits; intelligent people
Cons
commuting distance from almost anywhere - it's a drive
Secure Job, Lonely Culture
SULI Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 10, 2016
The pay was good, the work was interesting, but more often than not, I felt like I was working completely alone. For a time, that was okay, but eventually it got to me, and it became a very depressing place to work. If they're office culture changed, it would be a wonderful place to make a career.
a very fast paced and quick learning place
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNAugust 21, 2016
I loved the place with the people and the environments that are involved with it. I enjoyed my coworkers so much and I gained a honest understanding of the situation and how I can learn from the medical field.
Pros
great learning
Cons
NA
Good pay, slow pace
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 22, 2015
Bureaucratic but very reasonable pay/benefits plus structure/resources for R&D.
Gives opportunity for developing and applying own ideas/interests.
Flexible and great work/life balance.
Did a wide variety of administrative work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 4, 2012
I arranged meetings and conference rooms for large groups, I scheduled the meetings using Outlook calendar. I also tracked the status of sub-contracts; maintained a database for a growing project using Excel; coordinating on-site and off-site conferences including travel arrangements, set-up and preparing of site, handling registration and fee collections and reconciling of the conference outlay. Preparing for a conference included compiling, assembling and disseminating material; arranged for guest and subcontractor badges. Other administrative duties included: travel arrangements (domestic and foreign trips), prepared documents for publishing, and entered them for approvals, edited Web pages. I prepared documents using internal system for contracts; ordering material using the AVID (on-line) System; the SAP System for budget information; and track subcontract milestones deadlines. I am proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). I also prepared items for domestic and foreign shipping.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough advancement
Leader in Research, Innovation and Development
MICROSYSTEMS ENGINEER, R&D STAFF (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 21, 2013
Oak Ridge National Laboratory offers the opportunity of fast growth as a scientist. Due to the variaty of projects that come every year it expose the research staff to a constant multidisciplinary environment. It offers the employess with great compensations and benefits packages not to mention that a never ending learning experience.
benefits
Cons
job security
Great Place to work.
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 20, 2016
Great place to work. The research that is done at this lab is amazing and fulfilling work. Work life here is wonderful, everyone is smart and easy to get along with.
ORNL Review
System Engineer (Current Employee) –  oak ridgeMarch 23, 2014
ORNL has a great work environment when you first start. Benefits are great, pay is decent, and the environment feels as if you are at a college campus. They have an onsite cafeteria that is overpriced but it is good to have when you don't want to make the 10-15 minute trip to get something outside of the lab. The day to day work environment really depends on your manager so you may have a different experience than what I have had.
Fantastic work environment full of dedicated people.
Accounting/Finance/Operations Intern (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 31, 2016
Everyone here is extremely talented and helpful. It's a comfortable environment with an analytical, result-oriented team.
Intern's Perspective
Chemist Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMarch 28, 2016
In the program I participated in, I learned how to be an active researcher in accordance to practicing safety. I highly recommend this to students who are looking to advance their career in the STEM fields
great astmosphere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 18, 2014
working at ORNL is a cultural explosion and the work is fun. Not the highest compensation or benefits, but a good internship experience and completely worth it.
Pros
experience, atmosphere
Cons
politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4