Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Secure Job, Lonely Culture
SULI Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 10, 2016
The pay was good, the work was interesting, but more often than not, I felt like I was working completely alone. For a time, that was okay, but eventually it got to me, and it became a very depressing place to work. If they're office culture changed, it would be a wonderful place to make a career.
Innovative Workplace
Conference Coordinator - Business Services (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 15, 2016
ORNL is focused on cultivating Science to increase the sustainability of our world. I learned project management strategies and techniques to assist in the organizational development and success of the company.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Difficult to break into a differnt ladder
Interesting & creative work for many years
Senior Research Scientist / Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 9, 2016
The variety of work over the years kept things very interesting. It was like I could change jobs every couple years but didn't have to move.
Pros
large company with great diversity in projects
Cons
Government oversight meant a lot of waste
Fantastic work environment full of dedicated people.
Accounting/Finance/Operations Intern (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 31, 2016
Everyone here is extremely talented and helpful. It's a comfortable environment with an analytical, result-oriented team.
Intern's Perspective
Chemist Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMarch 28, 2016
In the program I participated in, I learned how to be an active researcher in accordance to practicing safety. I highly recommend this to students who are looking to advance their career in the STEM fields
Great Place to work.
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 20, 2016
Great place to work. The research that is done at this lab is amazing and fulfilling work. Work life here is wonderful, everyone is smart and easy to get along with.
Higher Education Research Experiences Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 22, 2015
Amazing experience with some of the smartest people in the world working along side you. If you are looking for an experience that makes you stand out here it is. This job really catapulted me into other positions that I currently hold and has not stopped benefiting me.
Data Evaluation/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 17, 2016
Retired from excellent company. Great management from top down. Learned many new skills. Great attention to paid to safety and employee health. Good benefits.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
ORNL Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 20, 2015
I was busy on a daily basis and had plenty advisers and graduate mentors to monitor my work as well as give me advice. I learned plenty about additive manufacturing, specifically the intra-build effects on the mechanical properties of electron beam melting. I also, learned about porosity and how to operate machines like the SEM and archam. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to learn to operate these machines as well as analyze the results of our research.
Productive work place where you always feel like a member of a winning team
OAS Associate Administrator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TennesseeJuly 7, 2015
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (or ORNL) was a fantastic place to work. Everyone supports and assists each other. While there are many people who work there, it feels like a very small group when it comes to getting the job done. Management supports their employees to the highest degree. I will very much miss working there.
Pros
The co-workers, management
Cons
The distance/drive
Good pay, slow pace
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 22, 2015
Bureaucratic but very reasonable pay/benefits plus structure/resources for R&D.
Gives opportunity for developing and applying own ideas/interests.
Flexible and great work/life balance.
Excellent Summer Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJune 14, 2015
Wonderful opportunity to intern as a research assistant for a materials scientist. I spent the summer performing research on nuclear graphite materials. I learned a lot about writing research reports and submitting research for publication. One of the best educational experiences of my life.
A good place to do research
Research fellow (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 9, 2015
Located in the small town, ORNL is a good place to do research. It has the best computational resources and the best neutron facility. The people are good and smart, the working environment is friendly and the working pace is good.
R&D engineering
Engineering Contractor (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge,TNAugust 31, 2015
Great place to work. Great staff. Great facility. Great place to build relationship and personal development. Only downside is location bit out of town
Great atmosphere to be productive for doing your job.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 27, 2015
ORNL was an excellent learning experience. Increase my ability to learn different fields(jobs) throughout Laboratory.
Very political place to work.
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJune 8, 2015
Everyone here is out to work for themselves. If you can work with that, this is the place to be. Anyone who is strong and independent probably should steer clear of this place.
Pros
The pay
Cons
It grinds up your soul.
Amazing opportunity
Summer Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge TennesseeJuly 9, 2015
The best place you could hope to work at period. There are lots of unique people and machines here at the lab that make working here a once in a lifetime experience.
Good Place to Work
Principal Investigator of CNMS proposal (Former Employee) –  CNMSJanuary 28, 2015
The people here are nice, and the equipment in the ORNL is almost the best all over the world. I love the lunch time, when people come together, have jokes and share their funny experiment of both work as well as daily life.
You have good opportunities to work with scientist from other universities, research institutes. I can Learn a lot from them.
Great place for research projects and development
Postgraduate Research Student (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 25, 2015
Generally, this is a great place for performing research, the environment is great, great team members, and lots of available resources to support my research.
Pros
research environment
Cons
sometimes the collaboration can be inefficient
Challenging position at preeminent national lab
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TN, USAFebruary 20, 2015
ORNL is a good place to work if you want to be around some of the most advanced computing and other sciences in the world. Lots of good people tend to be hampered by clueless management. The endless jockeying for funds get old.
Cons
in the middle of nowhere

4.4