Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Data Evaluation/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 17, 2016
Retired from excellent company. Great management from top down. Learned many new skills. Great attention to paid to safety and employee health. Good benefits.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Good pay, slow pace
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 22, 2015
Bureaucratic but very reasonable pay/benefits plus structure/resources for R&D.
Gives opportunity for developing and applying own ideas/interests.
Flexible and great work/life balance.
Innovative Workplace
Conference Coordinator - Business Services (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 15, 2016
ORNL is focused on cultivating Science to increase the sustainability of our world. I learned project management strategies and techniques to assist in the organizational development and success of the company.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Difficult to break into a differnt ladder
Intern's Perspective
Chemist Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMarch 28, 2016
In the program I participated in, I learned how to be an active researcher in accordance to practicing safety. I highly recommend this to students who are looking to advance their career in the STEM fields
Interesting & creative work for many years
Senior Research Scientist / Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 9, 2016
The variety of work over the years kept things very interesting. It was like I could change jobs every couple years but didn't have to move.
Pros
large company with great diversity in projects
Cons
Government oversight meant a lot of waste
Secure Job, Lonely Culture
SULI Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 10, 2016
The pay was good, the work was interesting, but more often than not, I felt like I was working completely alone. For a time, that was okay, but eventually it got to me, and it became a very depressing place to work. If they're office culture changed, it would be a wonderful place to make a career.
Great Place to work.
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 20, 2016
Great place to work. The research that is done at this lab is amazing and fulfilling work. Work life here is wonderful, everyone is smart and easy to get along with.
Higher Education Research Experiences Intern (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 22, 2015
Amazing experience with some of the smartest people in the world working along side you. If you are looking for an experience that makes you stand out here it is. This job really catapulted me into other positions that I currently hold and has not stopped benefiting me.
AWESOME Group of People - Great workplace!
Administrative Assistant/Records (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJanuary 14, 2014
Total years with ORNL as both full-time/permanent and contract employee: 10+

A typical day at work is BUSY, but working with fantastic teams, learning something new almost every day (with really organized management teams and fantastic co-workers), not to mention great benefits, advancement opportunities and pay - one cannot go wrong with this company. If you desire to work with a company on the cutting edge, this is for you.

Hardest part of the job: properly and effectively categorizing and managing time and project deadlines

Most enjoyable part of the job: overall fantastic work teams in a multitude of departments, not just a few, good training, great equipment to do your job properly and management and coworkers who truly care about you and your career goals and are willing to help you achieve them.
Pros
great pay and benefits; intelligent people
Cons
commuting distance from almost anywhere - it's a drive
Bring your own objectives
Post-doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 10, 2015
This is a highly undirected research environment. There are no deadlines, very flexible hours, and no clear goals. Your only mission as a post-doc is to produce papers to make the lab a success and aid in the approval of future grants. You need to be someone who is very driven and motivated about your research. Otherwise 75% of post-docs end up leaving the lab after their two-year tenure.

If you are good at reaching out to others in an environment where almost everyone is flying solo, if you are good at writing papers, if you are good at driving yourself, if you can avoid getting stuck in a slow line of research, if explaining what you do at conferences excites you, if you need to be working at the highest-levels of understanding .. then this is the place for you.

On the other hand, if you want clearly defined goals, if you aren't interested in being stuck in a single line of research for years, if you want fast-pace, if you want to feel an immediate, broader impact to society, if you want job security .. then this place is not for you.

Also, it's a government lab. So the services can't be too bad and they also can't be too good. No one wants to see government employees getting free lunch or having google-style perks. It's definitely better resources and pay than a university post-doc though.
Did a wide variety of administrative work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 4, 2012
I arranged meetings and conference rooms for large groups, I scheduled the meetings using Outlook calendar. I also tracked the status of sub-contracts; maintained a database for a growing project using Excel; coordinating on-site and off-site conferences including travel arrangements, set-up and preparing of site, handling registration and fee collections and reconciling of the conference outlay. Preparing for a conference included compiling, assembling and disseminating material; arranged for guest and subcontractor badges. Other administrative duties included: travel arrangements (domestic and foreign trips), prepared documents for publishing, and entered them for approvals, edited Web pages. I prepared documents using internal system for contracts; ordering material using the AVID (on-line) System; the SAP System for budget information; and track subcontract milestones deadlines. I am proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). I also prepared items for domestic and foreign shipping.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough advancement

Comment – December 10, 2012

Our Taxpayer money is wasted here. The lab has not come up with anything new, and is behind the times. Half of all the jobs could be elminated here.

Productive work place where you always feel like a member of a winning team
OAS Associate Administrator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TennesseeJuly 7, 2015
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (or ORNL) was a fantastic place to work. Everyone supports and assists each other. While there are many people who work there, it feels like a very small group when it comes to getting the job done. Management supports their employees to the highest degree. I will very much miss working there.
Pros
The co-workers, management
Cons
The distance/drive
ORNL Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 20, 2015
I was busy on a daily basis and had plenty advisers and graduate mentors to monitor my work as well as give me advice. I learned plenty about additive manufacturing, specifically the intra-build effects on the mechanical properties of electron beam melting. I also, learned about porosity and how to operate machines like the SEM and archam. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to learn to operate these machines as well as analyze the results of our research.
Leader in Research, Innovation and Development
MICROSYSTEMS ENGINEER, R&D STAFF (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 21, 2013
Oak Ridge National Laboratory offers the opportunity of fast growth as a scientist. Due to the variaty of projects that come every year it expose the research staff to a constant multidisciplinary environment. It offers the employess with great compensations and benefits packages not to mention that a never ending learning experience.
benefits
Cons
job security

Comment – March 24, 2013

Try comparing to other DOE Labs...This lab is a smoke screen and management has ruined the environment.

Comment – July 12, 2013

Waste of Taxpayer money. Too much Management and middle management.

ORNL Review
System Engineer (Current Employee) –  oak ridgeMarch 23, 2014
ORNL has a great work environment when you first start. Benefits are great, pay is decent, and the environment feels as if you are at a college campus. They have an onsite cafeteria that is overpriced but it is good to have when you don't want to make the 10-15 minute trip to get something outside of the lab. The day to day work environment really depends on your manager so you may have a different experience than what I have had.
Exciting, cutting edge technology - but kiss your personal life goodbye
Manufacturing R&D Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNNovember 4, 2013
This is a great place to work if you are passionate about cutting edge technology. It is difficult, however, to have many outside-of-work interests as your job demands will most likely be very large.
Pros
good pay, and benefits. interesting projects to work on.
Cons
large demands on your time. job insecurity due to constantly seeking funding.
great astmosphere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 18, 2014
working at ORNL is a cultural explosion and the work is fun. Not the highest compensation or benefits, but a good internship experience and completely worth it.
Pros
experience, atmosphere
Cons
politics
R&D engineering
Engineering Contractor (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge,TNAugust 31, 2015
Great place to work. Great staff. Great facility. Great place to build relationship and personal development. Only downside is location bit out of town
Great Place to Work
Small Business Liaison (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNApril 21, 2012
If you're fortunate enough to get a job at ORNL, it's a great thing. There are many opportunities to advance and increase your salary. The people are nice and the benefits are the best!
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
having to go through security to come and go
Great atmosphere to be productive for doing your job.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 27, 2015
ORNL was an excellent learning experience. Increase my ability to learn different fields(jobs) throughout Laboratory.

4.4