Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employer Reviews

Loving what you do ... not just a job/position
Business Staff Associate (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNOctober 22, 2013
Pros: flex time
Cons: micro managing professionals
I supported the Building America Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy. A typical day at work included staff meetings, conference calls, and reviewing events for the upcoming weeks/months. My co-workers were exceptional. Team players. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with all of our team and seeing the results of our hard – more... work. – less
Interesting Work - Good People
Post Master's Researcher (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: good job security, intersting work, good mix of people
Cons: red tape
Overall a good place to work. Good opportunities for advancement. Lots of interesting projects. Good people to work with. Good balance of seasoned staff and young people.

It's a government job though. Things move slow and lots of red tape. Efficiency is not exactly a major concern...
Good place to work with great opportunity to diversify experience.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), BSEAugust 26, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: daily commute
Great potential for well rounded experience. Good management and very understanding with new employees.
productive
Postdoctoral research associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNAugust 18, 2013
nice place,
highly secured
well maintained
lot of greenhouses
flexible operational hours
Wide range of systems and applications tasks
Research Staff/Group Leader/Computer Programmer (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNAugust 2, 2013
Pros: wide variety of work and technologies
Cons: extremely political and a lot of deadwood to deal with
Started my career writing accounting software to charge back software for computer resource usage of VMS machines. Later I was needed to write the same type of software for charge back of UNIX (ULTRIX) accounts.

Other Unix software included inactivity disconnect of interactive login processes and password updates. The password update system had to – more... be able to update distributed accounts from DES encrypted data sent from an IBM mainframe. Data decryption had to be done in memory and never written to disk which required the software to be written in assembly.

When PC networks were added to IT, I was responsible for designing software to search the distributed mailing system of Banyan Vines for classified data that was inadvertently mailed on the network. This software would accept a regular expression and return parts of messages that satisfied the expression and allow the user to confirm that this was the data being searched for. The user would then instruct the clients to overwrite the confirmed messages with a bit pattern which would totally remove any trace of the data on all mail servers.

I also wrote an inactivity disconnect client for Banyan Vines.

The last two years of employment was developing UI and server software for the ARM project (Atmospheric Radiation Measurement). This entailed a UNIX daemon service which would retrieve files from robotic storage repository using UniTrieve and an X-Windows and Web CGI UI which allowed scientist to log-in and retrieve data from the repository. – less
Research oriented
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Intern (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNJune 21, 2013
Pros: the mentors
Cons: only for a summer internship
The first thing I did every morning was take a few minutes to review the work completed the day before. Next, I would brainstorm with fellow interns concerning the workload for the day and proceed to perform my duties. The most enjoyable part of the job was the collaboration with my mentor.
An excellent facility for research.
Intern (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMay 24, 2013
A great place to intern, especially with the tours of some of the various facilities on the property.
administrative assistant
administrative assistant/group secretary (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMay 12, 2013
Pros: educational and training, great benefits and salary, good cafeterias and workout faciities, medical department and physicals provided plus immuzinations, very diversified personnel, great career opportunities for science, engineering and computer majors.
Cons: unclear administrative levels, lack of promotions for administrative staff, sometimes very heavy workload, salaried attitude toward administrative staff
ORNL is one of the leading companies in East Tennessee to work, and if you get hired, consider it a blessing. I was an administrative assistant for many different groups and divisions. I worked on (overall overview of all jobs I had) procedures, operating guidelines, set up interviews and passes for interviewees, processed paperwork for new positions, – more... had P-card responsibilities, proofed conference proceedings, tracted staff hours on projects, processed visitor passes and foreign national passes and paperwork, set up meetings and managed schedules for managers/group leaders, received guests, set up major meetings, worked as a user assistant in the user office where I entered proposals in the system and tracted statistics for DOE reporting, used all ORNL internal systems: SAP, AVID, PAS, and oher major systems, coordinated summer students orientation, set up filing system for and duplicated historic drawings into an engineering database, managed two fellowship programs and tracted statistics, assisted with conferences, took and transcribed meeting minutes for staff, and general administrative responsibilities. There is a great gap between weekly (administrative) and salaried positions where salaried are allowed extra privileges because they are salaried whereas weekly people are 40 hours a week. Attitudes toward administrative staff ranges from great respect to apathy depending for whom you work. There is not much advancement for administrative staff unless they bid out on higher ranking jobs. Your compensation level is not always clearly explained and many times you are just told you are a group secretary. Some divisions leave too much authority to division secretaries which can become very political and can damage lower ranking administrative staff's reputation with higher management and chances of any possible advancement. Many managers have no clue what their admins do and do not prepare professional yearly reviews. You more or less have to toot your own horn. However, training and educational assistance programs are great. Benefits are excellent and overall the atmosphere is good. Again, it really depends on who you work for, and like any company you will have positive and negative features. Overall, I loved the variety of nationalities I worked with and the staff at the Lab are great. Most folks are just plain folks and good people. Overall, I worked for and with wonderful people and had positive experiences. There are also great cafeterias at 3 different locations of the Lab, plus workout faciilities. Also the cafeteria organization provides excellent catering for meetings and retirement parties. Also, when I was there, the Medical Division was a great benefit especially if you were sick and couldn't see a doctor. Also, I thought it was wonderful that they provided a dietician and workout specialist for employees. Also, you can have confidential couseling if needed. ORNL is a wonderful company for young professionals in research, homeland security, computer science and engineering fields. I would recommend any young people pursing careers in these field to apply for internships with ORNL. If you are administrative and not wanting to move up the ladder or out of the admin field, it is not so lucrative. But the salary is excellent and as previously stated so are the benefits. I do miss working there, mainly I miss the wonderful people. Also, ORNL is improving their programs for administrative staff. – less
sd
Environmental Health and Safety Intern (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMay 2, 2013
Survival Straps® custom photo bracelets and key fobs are a great way to keep a picture of the ones you love near you all the time. You can upload your favorite picture of your kids, spouse, pets, favorite place, or whatever. The photo itself is super tough and will never scratch or fade. All of our products are Made in America and help to support our – more... men and women in uniform. – less
Plenty of job security and interesting work
ORNL Worker (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNApril 19, 2013
If you do your job you won't have to worry about losing it. The bureaucracy is ridiculously bad. There are very few opportunities for advancement.

May 4, 2013

Totally agree with above. Even if you don't do your job, Just create your own, as most employee's do there at ORNL! IT IS A MONEY PIT for TAXPAYERS! Too much middle management also!

Great place to work, allows for out-of-box-thinking
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNApril 15, 2013
Pros: occasional free lunches on site, very friendly people
Cons: very secluded, (but very secure)
Always busy
Kept on task with good Boss
Amazing facilities
Excellent Security
Leader in Research, Innovation and Development
MICROSYSTEMS ENGINEER, R&D STAFF (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: job security
Oak Ridge National Laboratory offers the opportunity of fast growth as a scientist. Due to the variaty of projects that come every year it expose the research staff to a constant multidisciplinary environment. It offers the employess with great compensations and benefits packages not to mention that a never ending learning experience.

March 24, 2013

Try comparing to other DOE Labs...This lab is a smoke screen and management has ruined the environment.

July 12, 2013

Waste of Taxpayer money. Too much Management and middle management.

Relaxed work environment with opportunities to work in interesting porjects
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 3, 2013
This research institution was great to work in. Scientists typically work on team based projects and use cutting edge technologies to solve scientific problems
Mind-blowing work with extremely interesting people.
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: open environment, science everywhere!
There is always something new to look forward to and sharing of information is encouraged. I have never dealt with a more open and inviting company. The things that are done at the lab are rarely rivaled in the world and most days it feels like working at the fictional "Eureka" from TV.
ORNL Life
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNDecember 12, 2012
Its pretty good, but busy as always with a post-doc. I would recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity as there are plenty of collaborations to start, so publications are easy to come by.
Challenging environment
Database Administrator (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNDecember 10, 2012
Pros: intellectually stimulating
Cons: some people with higher degrees like to think that you must be a moron if you don't have one.
It is nice not to feel like you have to be the smartest person in the room. There is such a cross-section of the population here, there's always someone with a different set of experiences from whom you can learn.
Did a wide variety of administrative work
Secretary (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNDecember 4, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough advancement
I arranged meetings and conference rooms for large groups, I scheduled the meetings using Outlook calendar. I also tracked the status of sub-contracts; maintained a database for a growing project using Excel; coordinating on-site and off-site conferences including travel arrangements, set-up and preparing of site, handling registration and fee collections – more... and reconciling of the conference outlay. Preparing for a conference included compiling, assembling and disseminating material; arranged for guest and subcontractor badges. Other administrative duties included: travel arrangements (domestic and foreign trips), prepared documents for publishing, and entered them for approvals, edited Web pages. I prepared documents using internal system for contracts; ordering material using the AVID (on-line) System; the SAP System for budget information; and track subcontract milestones deadlines. I am proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). I also prepared items for domestic and foreign shipping. – less

December 10, 2012

Our Taxpayer money is wasted here. The lab has not come up with anything new, and is behind the times. Half of all the jobs could be elminated here.

Good place to start
Engineering Contractor (Current Employee), Aberdeen Proving Ground, MDDecember 3, 2012
Using ORISE as a starting point is great. They offer a decent enough fellowship pay but there are many headaches. They don't remove taxes because it is considered a fellowship not employment. The pay is good but not competitive with equivalent private sector jobs.
high quality environment for research and development
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNNovember 26, 2012
We worked and learned as a team. Refining experiment, reading research papers, writing articles, and discussing ideas are the things I spent most of the time on. The challenging part is to go through a detail thought process and develop your own ideas for solving the practical issue. ORNL has the state-of-the-art facilities and the great working environment – more... for conducting the scientific research. – less
Good internship support
Summer Undergraduate Lab Intern (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNOctober 12, 2012
Worked on a project at the Spallation Neutron Source in summer 2011
Good compensation
Lots of support for summer interns
Lots of one-on-one time with my mentor

About Oak Ridge National Laboratory

It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy. The – Read more

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Photos