Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Employer Reviews

Leader in Research, Innovation and Development
MICROSYSTEMS ENGINEER, R&D STAFF (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: job security
Oak Ridge National Laboratory offers the opportunity of fast growth as a scientist. Due to the variaty of projects that come every year it expose the research staff to a constant multidisciplinary environment. It offers the employess with great compensations and benefits packages not to mention that a never ending learning experience.

franco – March 24, 2013

Try comparing to other DOE Labs...This lab is a smoke screen and management has ruined the environment.

franco – July 12, 2013

Waste of Taxpayer money. Too much Management and middle management.

Relaxed work environment with opportunities to work in interesting porjects
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNFebruary 3, 2013
This research institution was great to work in. Scientists typically work on team based projects and use cutting edge technologies to solve scientific problems
Mind-blowing work with extremely interesting people.
Mechanical Designer (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: open environment, science everywhere!
There is always something new to look forward to and sharing of information is encouraged. I have never dealt with a more open and inviting company. The things that are done at the lab are rarely rivaled in the world and most days it feels like working at the fictional "Eureka" from TV.
ORNL Life
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNDecember 12, 2012
Its pretty good, but busy as always with a post-doc. I would recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity as there are plenty of collaborations to start, so publications are easy to come by.
Challenging environment
Database Administrator (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNDecember 10, 2012
Pros: intellectually stimulating
Cons: some people with higher degrees like to think that you must be a moron if you don't have one.
It is nice not to feel like you have to be the smartest person in the room. There is such a cross-section of the population here, there's always someone with a different set of experiences from whom you can learn.
Did a wide variety of administrative work
Secretary (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNDecember 4, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not enough advancement
I arranged meetings and conference rooms for large groups, I scheduled the meetings using Outlook calendar. I also tracked the status of sub-contracts; maintained a database for a growing project using Excel; coordinating on-site and off-site conferences including travel arrangements, set-up and preparing of site, handling registration and fee collections – more... and reconciling of the conference outlay. Preparing for a conference included compiling, assembling and disseminating material; arranged for guest and subcontractor badges. Other administrative duties included: travel arrangements (domestic and foreign trips), prepared documents for publishing, and entered them for approvals, edited Web pages. I prepared documents using internal system for contracts; ordering material using the AVID (on-line) System; the SAP System for budget information; and track subcontract milestones deadlines. I am proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). I also prepared items for domestic and foreign shipping. – less

franco – December 10, 2012

Our Taxpayer money is wasted here. The lab has not come up with anything new, and is behind the times. Half of all the jobs could be elminated here.

Good place to start
Engineering Contractor (Current Employee), Aberdeen Proving Ground, MDDecember 3, 2012
Using ORISE as a starting point is great. They offer a decent enough fellowship pay but there are many headaches. They don't remove taxes because it is considered a fellowship not employment. The pay is good but not competitive with equivalent private sector jobs.
high quality environment for research and development
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNNovember 26, 2012
We worked and learned as a team. Refining experiment, reading research papers, writing articles, and discussing ideas are the things I spent most of the time on. The challenging part is to go through a detail thought process and develop your own ideas for solving the practical issue. ORNL has the state-of-the-art facilities and the great working environment – more... for conducting the scientific research. – less
Good internship support
Summer Undergraduate Lab Intern (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNOctober 12, 2012
Worked on a project at the Spallation Neutron Source in summer 2011
Good compensation
Lots of support for summer interns
Lots of one-on-one time with my mentor
Cutting edge technology, success oriented, excellent work environment.
Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: intellectual, professional co-workers and leaders.
Cons: lack of private sector research funding.
Work is challenging, there is opportunity for growth, advancement, daily learning. Never bored in my job, co-workers and managers are supportive and the work group is cohesive.
The hardest part of the job was leaving it. I truly loved my work and never minded going in. I felt I was doing important work and would go back today.

lol

Great place to work as a young researcher
Post Baccalaureate Research Associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: great place to learn alot from.
Cons: location in oak ridge, tn
I spent most days in the lab either running samples or properly maintaing experiments. I spent alot of working on new skills i developed there.Such as ICP-OES Single pass flow through method, and mining through articles.
Diverse and active workplace
Human Resources/University Recruiting Intern (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNSeptember 5, 2012
A typical day involved scanning in resumes, planning for events, attending career events. The environment is very diverse, opening, and friendly.

franco – November 14, 2012

Way too many Human Resource people work @ ORNL. What a waste of tax payer money. Furthermore they are uneducated people in Human resources as the lab itself.

Excellent company, fair and willing to train
Sr. Secretary (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNAugust 23, 2012
Pros: great benefits
While at ORNL I learned many internal systems, trained on a Macintosh and had the opportunity to advance.
Excellent work place
D&D Project Engineer (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNJuly 20, 2012
Diverse safety culture; mostly exceptionally talented individuals.
Challenging
Postdoc Research Associate (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNJune 18, 2012
Good place to work.
Challenging and interesting.
Multiculture.
Great Place to Work
Small Business Liaison (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNApril 21, 2012
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: having to go through security to come and go
If you're fortunate enough to get a job at ORNL, it's a great thing. There are many opportunities to advance and increase your salary. The people are nice and the benefits are the best!
No promotions, Really don't care about workers, Losing money, management stinks
na (Former Employee), ORNLApril 14, 2012
Cons: can never move up.
Really don't care about workers, Losing money, management stinks.
Really never learned anything. Out of control costs, and over exaggerated for a Lab compared to other labs. Employees think it's a plant for some reason? I still can't figure where UT fits in the name...

franco – November 14, 2012

Other labs have much more going for them, but they don't have a clue about other DOE Labs. They do real projects in other labs, and don't make like they are just working. Management really isn't management, and the people in these positions are really worried about their own jobs.

I absolutely loved my job
Printing Specialist (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNApril 9, 2012
Pros: cafeteria in area
Cons: i really don't have any
I interacted with customers and GPO. Took in jobs, printed them, did bindery, laminated (cold and hot), and folded them.
Compelling work that really mattered
Intern (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMarch 6, 2012
Pros: outstanding pay
ORNL provided me with a fascinating and highly educational look into the vastly complex world of nuclear nonproliferation. I learned a tremendous amount about the nuclear fuel cycle, the development of nuclear weapons, and how these interplay into global politics today.
They work on some cool projects
Oak Ridge, TN (Former Employee), Student ResearcherNovember 5, 2011
ORNL is one of leading companies to work for. I got a chance integrate a security system that will monitor campus.

About Oak Ridge National Laboratory

It takes a lot of manpower to¬†build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy. The – Read more

Oak Ridge National Laboratory Photos