Job Title: Food & Beverage Service Captain
Department: Food & Beverage
Reports To: Club House Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Summary: The primary function is prompt, efficient service and professionalism. The wait staff’s first and foremost function is the service of food and beverage. The strength and sincerity of the image of the facility should reflect at all times through a friendly, courteous and helpful attitude.
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
- With direction from the Club House Manager assist in overseeing golf events, member events and member dining areas.
- Inspect the scheduled function area/room for cleanliness, working condition and proper furniture/equipment set up; rectify any deficiencies with respective departments
- Inform staff of their responsibilities and assign them tasks and breaks as needed
- Directing and assisting in all opening and closing duties, setup of rooms for events; this to include- stages, dance floors, bars, table and chair arrangements and any other setup requirements
- Perform other job related duties as requested by the Club House Manager
- Effectively communicate with chefs and service staff in order to fulfill and address any issues or needs requested by guests and or other employees
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, procedures, and standards
- Maintain complete knowledge of menu descriptions, wine list and liquor list.
- Maintain positive guest and member relations at all times
- Be familiar with all Club services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest or members inquiries accurately
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction
- Organize all assigned functions and complete preparation work in accordance to departmental standards
- Assign stations and side work to Servers in accordance with departmental procedures
- Attend pre-function meeting with Servers and review all information pertinent to set-up and service of group
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies
- Check bar set-ups for cleanliness, organization and agreement with group requirements and departmental standards; resolve any problems; assist in keeping an accurate account of wine, beer and liquor for event consumption sheets
- Check buffet tables/receptions/coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness, layout; ensure agreement with function order and departmental standards; resolve any problems
- Ensure replenishment of items as specified on event orders and requested by group contact
- Direct Servers on timing of service throughout function
- Communicate additional meal requirements and special requests to the Chef or culinary staff
- Ensure that unused food is returned to the Kitchen, that designated condiments are broken down and properly stored (butters, cream, dressings, etc.) and that all supplies are returned to designated storage areas
- Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff sign out
- Provide feedback on staff performance to the Club House Manager and reporting disciplinary problems
- Schedule the staff on a weekly basis ensuring that all shifts for golf outings and special events are covered
- Order restaurant linen on a weekly basis including specialty linens for outings or member events
- Order liquor, beer and wine on a weekly basis while maintaining control of inventory levels
- Inform the Executive Chef when supplies are low so that items can be ordered
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Alcohol Awareness Training, State Liquor License
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to read and speak English may be required in order to perform the duties of the job.
Meets state age requirements for handling alcoholic beverages.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.