Oakland Family Services Employee Reviews

Can be stressful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIAugust 2, 2017
Some classroom are low on materials. On a daily basis I am looking for plates, cups to serve the children lunch. Not enough staff for the center. Does offer good health care and benefits.
Pros
Health Care, Great Paid and Sick Tme
Cons
NO materials, not enough staff
Fun place to work.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 8, 2017
A typical day at worked consisted of me providing childcare for children who parents would be at work or in meetings. I would feed and nap children.
I learned time management skills and a great deal of patience.
Dedicated company
Early childhood (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 6, 2017
The CEO is a very strong and passionate about her work. The company continues to strive to provide the very best for its client base.
Unfortunately, pay is rather low
Very helpful with the community
Early On Developmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 5, 2017
Not a very fair work environment. Had to take a lot of work home to finish. They are dedicated to helping a lot of people in need. A lot of programs. Safe work environment.
Great Place To Work
administration (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIOctober 10, 2016
The days here can be very busy, and they go by fast. I love working here. The people are warm and the culture is so unique. When I first walked in the door, I felt immediately welcome and that has never changed in the many years I've been here. Despite what some have said here, Management is very hands-on and involved in the daily work. Three of the 4 executive leadership team members started here years ago, doing the very same work that the front line does today. Work any place else (as I have) and I'll be you won't find many places where management WANTS to hear the input from staff - and they USE it to make changes where ever possible.

What I've learned is that sometimes, job satisfaction is more than what you earn. Yes, I could go elsewhere and make more, but I wouldn't trade the culture, low deductible/low cost share benefit offerings, free life, disability, vision and dental or the amount of time off I get every year. The Detroit Free Press hasn't featured Oakland Family Services as a Top Workplace since 2012 for nothing. Those awards are earned as by voted on by the employees...and that says something.

Everyone has different ideas of what is most important to them. But for me, this is where I hope to stay for many years to come.
Pros
Warm Culture, Great Benefits, Engaging, Transparency in Management Decision Making
Provide education and support to families raising children diagnosed with disabilities
Group Leader and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMarch 29, 2016
Typically, as a Group Leader and Case Manager with the Dynamic Dads program, operating within the Early Childhood Development Department, a day would involve research about disabilities, where families could possibly receive assistance, preparing activities and materials for group meetings, report writing, marketing and recruitment for groups and programs, and leader of support groups. Probably the greatest thing I learned was seeing that, despite differences in race, religion, gender, education and socioeconomic level, and personal childhood experiences, the vast majority of parents understand that being a parent is the most important (and life long) job they will ever have. We all want our children to be happy and protected, and to provide them with the opportunity to have a better life than we had. Company management was almost always committed to the continued growth of their employees along with the company. Most co-workers were supportive, and willing to lend a hand or help out their co-workers when needed. The hardest part of the job was the perception that advancement and promotion was available, if the right people in administration and executive roles liked you or not. Ultimately, that didn't matter when parents talked about successes and improvement they experienced within their family unit, and interacting directly with children in playgroups and special events.
Not a great place
LICENSING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 29, 2015
Poor pay and extremely stressful; social work is not for everyone. Higher management is payed well but the other employees are doing too much work and getting paid so little that you have to apply for food stamps.
Pros
Doing something good for the community.
Cons
Everything.
Deeply involved in the community
Controller (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIAugust 20, 2014
First experience in a non-profit. Involved in financial decisions. Managed a staff of eight including IT, HR and accounting. Financial meetings monthly with Board of Directors. Participated in fund raising and financial reporting for Federal and state grants.
Family driven enviroment
Parent Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 1, 2014
Driving around the county and seeing parents in their homes, and entering data in the community mental health system of care network.

Management is knowledgeable and willing to help when and where they can.

Co-workers are laid back and help when needed, ie. providing additional information.

The hardest part of my job is letting it go at the end of the day.

Meeting new families and watching them flourish with the new skills that I was able to teach them while providing them services.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
unpredicable schedule
Very supportive environment
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIFebruary 18, 2013
Days are very busy as we see a varied client population. Our behavioral heatlh team is a very warm, cohesive, team. The hardest part of the job is work/life balance. The best part of the job is getting to see change happen.
Inexperienced Management, 40 hours/wk=60 hours/wk
Therapist (Former Employee) –  PontiacDecember 28, 2012
Very high employee turnover. Think twice before accepting employment here. They care more about program paperwork then their clients needs. Management is old, or inexperienced/young and kiss management's behinds. These managers border on unethical treatment of their employees because of a lack of training in employee protected class rights. Workweek is never 40 hrs a week if you are in a therapy-based program. Expect 50-60 hrs with low pay.
Creating a friendly work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 28, 2012
Greeting clients and staff with a smile and friendly attitude. Assisting everyone in a pleasant manner with basic office duties. I learned that when working as a team, it makes the day go by easier if you have a positive attitude as well as enjoying your co-workers having a little fun along the way. Supporting each other with inspirational quotes, laughter and reliability builds trust and makes a good team. The hardest part of the job would be multi tasking. The most enjoyable is definelty being able to help people in the community..
Pros
family oriented
Cons
job security, limited office space
Poor place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 18, 2012
Dissapointed with company - Job I enjoyed doing previously was eliminated. I was rehired as a Customer Service Rep. Loved working with clients and the staff members. I complained couple of times about poor office management. I was thanked for saying something but no results ever came of it. Also no room to advance in the future.
Pros
working hours are great - benefits good
Cons
office management terrible, no room for advancement
Good place to work.
Workforce Retention Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 25, 2012
Good working environment. Good management communication meetings.
Pros
good work schedule.
Cons
not a good career path for employees
Fair
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 13, 2011
Dissappointed with company- job I enjoyed doing was eliminated. I was rehired as a Customer Service Rep. Loved helping clients but wasn't any room for me to advance in the future.