Oakland Schools Employee Reviews

Progressive district with opportunities for advancement.
Consultant/Principal (Former Employee) –  Cox Elementary, Harthorne Elem.,August 3, 2017
From an administrative perspective, a typical day(7 am-5 pm) opening of offices, cafeteria, classrooms. A quick check from the central office on staff absentees and substitutes available. No subs, divide students among grade levels. Having years of experience, I checked by phone the substitute situation at 5 am before leaving for work at 7 am. I also kept a list of teachers who were retired and available to substitute for the day.

The workplace culture was shaped by the lead teachers, parents and myself, the Principal. My office was always open to anyone who
needed to vent before going public with a disagreement.

As far as management, my philosophy was "Be in charge of what
you were in charge of." This included parents, teachers students,
classified workers and myself as a role model.

The hardest part of the job was to lose a student, parent, teacher,
and/or other staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to see happy parents,
students, classified staff and myself, the Principal.
Pros
Student achievement and professional growth among all.
Cons
Unequal resources allocated to inner-city schools.
A nice place to work
Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIApril 7, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Oakland Schools. I was a temporary hourly employee and felt like I was a part of the team while I completed my assignment. It was a fun place to work and the people were pleasant. I have had a hard time getting my last check (it's been over a month). They track time by hand and my time sheet was lost and there has been no urgency and little help in getting this matter resolved.
Its been a Journey fun place to work
Community Health Liaison (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIApril 16, 2015
Oakland Schools have been a Excellent Program to work for i am currently in the Adult Work Experience. and station here at St.Joseph Mercy Oakland working here has made me appreciate lIfe and my Health and become Friendly and a Ear for Patients while i am on rounds making sure they have the best Experence while they stay here at St.Joseph Hospital Great Staff, Great Patients ,Great Bosses
Pros
news Letter that shows how much they Appreciate my Hard Work
Cons
Short Breaks
Decent
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MINovember 3, 2014
Decent place to work not a lot of room for advancement within
Good
Janitor /Porter (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 26, 2013
I enjoyed working, simply because I am very grateful and was getting decent pay; I had nothing to complain about.
Over all great place to work!
Building Maintenance and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIMarch 20, 2013
Over all Oakland Schools is a great place to work. I have been working the afternoon shift running the building at night. I am the only Oakland Schools employee in the building at night. I manage the cleaning crew, security, and the overall maintenance of the building.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
i work the afternoon shift
Systems Analyst and Programer
PRIVATE CONSULTANT/PROGRAMMER/ANALYST (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 23, 2013
In this position I was responsible to meet with local school principles and faculties to analyze the best strategy to create a program that would allow the parent to see real time data regarding their students attendance and grades.

As lead design I was able to plan and develop the program that is still in existence today. Each day thousands of students and parents and teachers use this system to record and observe a students attendance and grading. When certain number of days of attendance or tardies occur or a grade percent drops or increases, an automated letter is printed and sent via email or mail to the parent of the student, or to the student based on student age.
Pros
great project that improves the quality of education and changes lives.
Cons
no cons for this position.