Oakland Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

personal experiences may vary
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 24, 2016
This can be a good company to work for if you are fully supported by your coworkers and principal. It's such a big district that reaches out to a lot of families so there are times when things slip through the cracks, especially when it comes to Special Education. The unions really fight for the employees, which is a major plus. Teaching is stressful already so support from coworkers and administrators can be a huge blessing. Experiences vary so also ask around if you can.
Pros
great benefits for permanent employees
Cons
job security at whim of budget cuts (no lay-offs but probation releases w/o cause), structure still needs work
An overall O.K
Food Service Sub (Current Employee) –  VariousMarch 9, 2016
I am very new at this job and got very few hours, hence there is not a lot I can say. Although I can confidently claim that the people I work with are quite nice, friendly and professional.
Pros
Free Lunches, snacks, not a tight schedule
Cons
Few hours
Having great relationships with student's
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 9, 2016
Exciting working with student''s and charting there progress. Staff great to work with. I also enjoyed working with co-workers. The hardest part of my day was just beating traffic. The most enjoyable part of my job seeing student's graduating
Pros
enough time to get things done
Cons
short lunches
Diverse and Huge company.
Clerical Substitute (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 27, 2016
There are a lot of people and you learn a lot about working with others. The district is huge so there is plenty of opportunity to grow and explore what you job you really want.
Oakland Unified Schools
High School English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 31, 2015
Although I have great benefits, there are safety concerns when there aren't enough security officers available for the high school campuses. Classroom management is not a major problem because students are there to succeed. Since the district opened the enrollment, it has opened the door for those who are focused on their academic success.

My typical day begins at 7 a.m. when I arrive to set up my classroom for the lessons for the day. I have one prep period and it is not enough time to set up everything necessary for each and every student. I have three periods of seniors who are focused on how each and every day will meet their needs in higher education. Then, I have a prep period, lunch with tutoring students, and then the last two periods are juniors who are also thinking about college every day. The last period is after the last bell in the computer lab. I instruct students who are working on a computerized course to recover credits for classes they have failed. Considering these courses were probably failed their freshman year, I have to refresh their memory of literary works or historical facts. After 5 p.m., I am out the door to my next tutoring stint at Huntington Learning center where I meet two to three students for a two-hour class to better their learning skills. So, after Huntington, I arrive home at or about 8:30 to 9:00 p.m.
Pros
Prep period and lunch are connected, and makes for longer tutoring time
Cons
expectations are that I am available every day before, during, and after school.
Dedicated to Education Reform
Crisis Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 27, 2015
Although the district struggles to meet the standards of education currently in the state of California, the elementary school in which I was active was a collaborative and inclusive environment. The faculty and staff were appreciative and responsive to work and behavior modification in addition to their curiosity about pervasive developmental disorders. My co-workers were responsible, communicative, and collaborative, and added to the overall positive workplace environment.
Pros
Medical Benefits, Placement Staff, Experience
Cons
Lack of Dental benefits, lack of education funding, district mismanagement & outdated policies
Presented a challenge to work with this many employees
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 29, 2015
Fast pace environment, Lot of red tape and politics which is expected when you have passionate people about what they are doing.
Pros
My introduction to middle management
Cons
No work life balance. Fifteen hour days, seven days a week.......
Operations Officer-Payroll Services (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 13, 2015
Oakland Unified is a good place to work. They help a lot of children within their districts. The business services department is very friendly.
Substitute position
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 31, 2015
No advancement opportunities;custodial duties, cleaned rooms, halls, bathrooms, responsible for security codes and keys for the entire school, shipping and receiving duties included.
Pros
short term
Cons
no advancement available
Work At Your Own Risk
Senior Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 17, 2015
OUSD is an absolute cyclone of stupidity, unprofessionalism, poor planning, no supervision and poor pay. Your union reps are nonexistent and the implementation of rules and expectations are naught. No support, no supervisor involvement. Just a slurry of anger, posturing and infighting. I wouldn't work for them again even if they were paying me 4x my meager salary. Do yourself a favor and find another school district.
Pros
summers off, holidays off, no weekends
Cons
they regularly violate labor laws in terms of pay and breaks, unprofessionalism, no availability for growth
Challenging teaching assignment but rewarding at graduation
JROTC Teacher Oakland High, Oakland, Ca (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 25, 2015
A 12 hour day in teaching with a closed campus due to high risk and dangerous workplace. I learned to watch my back and identify problem students and manage them according to the rules and regulations of the district. Work very closely with Vice Principal and Principals involving juvenile offenders at the school.
Pros
Challenged me to become a better teacher and mentor
Cons
A dangerous work environment that need excellent teachers and mentors
Great job, I wish pay was higher
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  2nd AvenueMay 25, 2015
I love Teaching and working with the community. The Faculty was very supportive for a first year Teacher. I like the community in which we work and trying to help families. Working with students with special needs is up lifting and inspirational.
I enjoyed working there
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 13, 2015
I liked the hours and I enjoyed my schedule, and I enjoyed the staff.
I also enjoyed working for the City of Oakland.
I waxed floors, stock the classrooms, cleaned the maintenance area.
Need more resources
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 7, 2015
● Developed all-school customized assessment process for reading and writing curricula
using media support structure.
● Collaborated with payroll and billing to allocate public finances in compliance with
financial capabilities, and defined scheduling protocols for all performances.
● Created innovative successful fundraising initiative.
● Facilitated community partnerships with local businesses and non-profits
● Supported student success by counseling individual students on academics and
behavior on a one-on-one basis.
● Organized STAR and advanced placement testing for grades 6-12.
Where minds are nutured
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Glenview Elementary 4215 La Cresta AvenuneApril 15, 2015
Typical day at work - Busy
What you learned - Productivity
Management - Great
Co-workers - Great
The hardest part of the job - Funding
The most enjoyable part of the job - Productivity
Challenging, yet immensely rewarding!
Elementary Math Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 13, 2015
I really enjoy my position as an Elementary Math Specialist for Oakland Unified School District! Part of the fulfillment I experience is connected to the fact that there is no "typical" day. I work at two unique school sites in the West Oakland Cluster, providing support and training for teachers in the implementation of the Core Curriculum State Standards in Mathematics. When I am not providing on-site support for teachers, I am working with my Math Specialist colleagues in the planning or delivery of useful Professional Development/Training sessions, centered around math, that engage teachers and administrators across the district.

Our manager is also very hands-on and supports us every step of the way. He is a visionary and shares the same philosophy of everyone on our team, that the learning and enjoyment of mathematics should be accessible to all students. The most beautiful aspect about my team colleagues is that we all bring unique talents to the team. We collaborate continuously, formally, and informally. We share our successes and our challenges, openly and honestly, as we support each other through the work.

The hardest part of the job is assisting teachers in the light of change. This is Oakland's first full year of Core Curriculum implementation, so some resistance was imminent. Facing the resistance and supporting teachers in a process that was often uncomfortable for them was quite a challenge. Modeling and supporting teachers every step of the way has been critical. I can't begin to fully explain, within the confines of this text box, how much
  more... more challenging that can be when working within mathematics. The process is continuous. As our district continues to focus on encouraging teachers to engage students in academic discussions and working through productive struggle, we are finding that teachers are quickly adapting to a "less traditional" approach to teaching. Many teachers are now embracing their own roles as a community of learners.

Ironically, the hardest part of the job quickly becomes the most enjoyable part of the job. As fixed mindsets transform into growth mindsets, learning takes place and teachers and students begin to feel confident and successful in their own work. Hard work rarely goes without some degree of satisfaction, and knowing that teachers and students are on the path to greatness is truly the most fulfilling part of my job! We, as educators, change lives. I don't know many other professions that can boast this level of fulfillment!
Pros
Challenging, motivating, fulfilling, rewarding, and fun.
Cons
Learning how to balance life and work issues when one shares the same passion for both.
learning new things with different equipment and like been around young kids
custodian (Current Employee) –  oakland caMarch 20, 2015
working custodian for many years. I know everything about the cleaning and the equipment. i communicate with my co-works also i help my co-workers out if they don't know how to work the cleaning materials.
Title I Teaching Opportunity
Title I Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 12, 2015
I think it is wonderful that the Oakland School District offers an opportunity for students to learn and grow in the two main subjects that some may be below the 50th percentile. I had the opportunity to work with students and help them improve in their reading and/or math skill sets. It was rewarding to see them come in with low scores and leave with higher scores. That just proved that the program really works when taught right.
Teacher's Aide
Certified Nursing Assistant/ Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 23, 2015
work with special need students at a middle school. i feed, change, and take them to classes everyday.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Maintained cleanliness of floors, bathrooms, windows, chairs, tables on a regular basis. It is the custodian’s responsibility to ensure that the entire School is a clean environment for children at all times.