Oakland Unified School District Employee Reviews

Great District
Bilingual Administration Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 2, 2017
I love the school I work at. I just wish the district would stop trying to change my location all the time. I want to built a foundation where I can relate to my families.
Well paying District, with great benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 21, 2017
I enjoyed working for OUSD as I was able to utilize all my skills to function in my position. I felt that the compensation was very fair and as a whole, the benefits were great.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No work/life balance
Labor of Love
Full Time Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 19, 2017
It takes a lot of work and a special person to do this job. There is so much that goes into everyday and the work life balance is hard when you have a family. But I do love the work
Always a joy when your mission is to work for the welfare of children!
Substitute Teacher (STIP) (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 15, 2017
Any school district has its challenges, but teaching children successfully, to both their and their caregivers' satisfaction, makes teaching one of the most rewarding careers to pursue. OUSD definitely needs improvement in financial and managerial efficiency, but the privilege of working on a relatively low-stress elementary school campus environment makes my job a pleasure. This is great work.
Pros
Short days, summer vacation
Cons
Challenging pay, inefficient district management, budget
Working in a classroom.
Special Education-Autism-Aide for Pre-K (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 23, 2017
I worked in classroom that was supervised by a teacher. We had eleven children two aids. The students ranged from ages three to five, verbal and non-verbal and potty trained and not potty trained. Everyday we had circle time, music, art and educational activities that followed IEP guidelines.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Advancement
Team oriented environment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Great place to work for, very team oriented, worked fulltime 40 hours weekly. I worked on many summer projects with various groups of veterans who taught me a lot about the cleaning business.
School Teacher
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 7, 2017
OUSD could find a way of acquiring leadership. As of right now leadership is number one. Without that on the top you won't have it on the bottom. So OUSD needs support
customer service
Accurate cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2017
A great team work job. Also a chance of work my way up. Show my hard work and decation to the job. Not afraid to try any job that give you as my duty .Have nice day.
Pros
thankyou
Cons
short breaks
Rewarding place to work if you like to help students with different needs.
1st Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  1000 Broadway, Oakland , CAJanuary 8, 2017
Love my school the staff is great. We work well together and are very close. Students are very behind in reading and math, and behavior management is hard. Superintent has resigned. High turnover rate for teachers and principals. No complaints about my school. I just need a change of pace.
Pros
Great supportive staff.
Cons
Short breaks, high turnover rates, long hours, students with behavior issues, low pay.
work experience
Intervention Specialist - Special Education (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Star Education provides valuable experiences to new employee that is interested in working with kids and youth. Star is and after school program that enhances student social skills and academics.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Clerk Typist/Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  1200 Broadway Street Oakland, CaliforniaDecember 21, 2016
I enjoyed tutoring students in math, English, history, reading, and science, The students felt very comfortable with my teaching them on a daily basis. While working for Oakland Unified School, I was passionate in doing my job. I loved teaching. Knowing that I taught students their lesson was an great experience everyday.
Pros
Sense of being part of something that is for the furture. Teaching.
Cons
Part-time
A great big Family
Campus Noon Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 28, 2016
working as a campus supervisor of an elementary school was one of my life dreams that came to life. I loved this job the highest extent. i worked with a great deal of staff and families. Everything was organized and we all help each other in time of need and all work together to build our school and make it better.
Pros
the hours were a little flexible, which allowed me time to work and finish school
Cons
you have to deal with many families on an everyday basis
Dedicated Workers
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 21, 2016
Hardworking parents and students within the district. Diverse staff, committed teachers with too much work and not enough resources. Many workers there who are dedicated.
office like place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 18, 2016
you have your own area and paper work that you have to do and this place is all women most but they have a couple men they are lovey and I would love to go back I would tell anyone to go there and try first if they want o go in that filed but the work is not hard you do some filling on the computer printing things not that many people come in but they do and you get call also I had fun
Fun place to work if you like kids,Reach one and teach one
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 21, 2016
I enjoyed my years with the Schools. When you loss your passion for something it was time to leave. .I had a hard time and chose to retired.I had the best Administrator anyone could ask to work for.they allow me to explore new avenue to get my students to read more. My coworker were great they help to make the school year great.We shared so much as a group ,our training were very productive..
Very Team Oriented, All Employees Work Well Together and Assist One Another When Needed.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 27, 2016
Procurrment Department Is Like A Family. We all knew about each other's family's and our children's accomplishment. We assist one another when needed. We all worked well together.
Nice Place to work in Community
Substitute Teacher Computer Lab (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 17, 2016
The Oakland Unified School District has served as great place to help students advance towards their goals in life.

There is a strong need for more young adults to assist the K-12 students of OUSD.

My overall review of the OUSD is that it can be a great place to work, learn and grow if you have a strong desire to help others who need help in the world.
Pros
Meet many people teach many people learn from many people
Great place to work.
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 11, 2016
Working with students on the autism spectrum in general education classrooms was amazing.
The management team are great leaders and support both students and staff.
Pros
Hours
Great place to teach
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 6, 2016
I work in a Title 1 school that services the community in the flats of Oakland. We work hard to give a great education to a deserving community.
Pros
Committed Teachers
Cons
Budget issues
personal experiences may vary
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 24, 2016
This can be a good company to work for if you are fully supported by your coworkers and principal. It's such a big district that reaches out to a lot of families so there are times when things slip through the cracks, especially when it comes to Special Education. The unions really fight for the employees, which is a major plus. Teaching is stressful already so support from coworkers and administrators can be a huge blessing. Experiences vary so also ask around if you can.
Pros
great benefits for permanent employees
Cons
job security at whim of budget cuts (no lay-offs but probation releases w/o cause), structure still needs work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oakland Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Oakland Unified School District Reviews by Location