Oakland University

Oakland University Employer Reviews

Employee friendly workplace in support of staff and student development.
Teacher Mentor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMarch 28, 2014
Pros: complete autonomy within set framework.
Cons: pay scale has opportunities.
I set my own schedule via those in my charge. In two years, I enhanced my support to those in my charge, avoided miscues, provided more relevant support, and developed closer relationships with involved decision-makers, administration, and colleagues.
Easy job
Dynamic Causal Modeling (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMarch 26, 2014
Five days per week. I have learned new technology for analyzing fMRI data. My co-worker is Prof Siadat. The challenge part was the noise in fMRI. And the project was very important in terms of studying why some people stay in an anxiety model long.
Great opportunity to learn to train with online learrning
ELearning - Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: flexibility and meeting new people
Cons: resource limitations
I enjoyed being able to launch my first online blended learning course.
Oakland University was flexible, I had great management support
The hardest part of the job was when students graduated. Teaching was so rewarding and meaningful as I watched my adult student grow in front of me in their understanding of their own purposes and passions as they went – more... on to assist other in their career searched and career promotions.

Very rewarding experiences! – less
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, MIFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: fast paced
Cons: long shifts
A typical day at work involved checking the e-mail, voicemail, and sending out e-mails and returning phone calls. I would then enter and check data, organize drawers and files, conduct phone screens, schedule appointments.
I loved that job.
New Student Recruiter (Former Employee), Rochester, MIJanuary 16, 2014
very professional. Allowed a lot of time for college students.
Great Entry Level Job
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIJanuary 13, 2014
Job was entry level / work-study, not much else to say. Was able to do homework while getting paid.
Great University
Student (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MISeptember 18, 2013
Was a student in 2007. Graduated with a CDF Certification from Oakland University. it was a beautiful experience learning on the Campus of OU.
Lacks sincerity in administration, too much butt kiss required for promotion.
Financial Aid Adviser (Former Employee), Rochester, MISeptember 4, 2013
Cons: administration unwilling to change policies to improve student satisfaction, which ultimately improved work environment.
High turnover, highly strressful, lack of collaboration and team spirit, everyone is just trying to get what they can out of the benefits( free education because of 100% tuition reimbursement.
Good place for work and study
Mathematics (Current Employee), Auburn Hills, MIJuly 31, 2013
Good place for work and study. Because I was student and Graduate assistant so for me it was enjoyable time.
Fun and exciting place to work.
Asst. Facilities and Events Director/Internship (Current Employee), Rochester, MIJune 18, 2013
I was happy to be a part of Oakland University for the last 12 months and look forward to taking the valuable experiences with me to my next job.
Great fun working here
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Rochester, MIJune 17, 2013
Cons: we have excellent full covered hmo from priorityhealth
I have great time doing research here. we work many of Govt projects such as Department of defence(DoD), NSF, ARO, ONR etc.
Oakland University
Research Assistant for Dr. Virgil Zeigler-Hill (Current Employee), Rochester, MIJune 7, 2013
I enjoyed my four years at Oakland University. The professors were very helpful and dedicated as much of their time to helping students as they could.The school taught me a lot of valuable skills to continue to use throughout my professional career.
Generous DSS Program for students
Note Taker (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIMay 28, 2013
OU wants students to succeed; paying able students to take notes for unable students is one of many ways OU ensures success.
Has a lot of potential to be a great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMay 28, 2013
Pros: great benefits, no weekends, students were amazing and fun.
Cons: internal unecessary stress created within, no jobs available elswhere in medical assisting within the company, very political.
A typical day was pretty easy. Unfortunately, you had to find things to do to kill time. Some days were crazy busy. Other days were slow. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unnecessary stress created by a co-worker and director. The director lacked experience in management. Unfortunately she made it difficult to communicate with her, she was – more... high strung and not very diplomatic. She lacked self restraint on her emotions. Sadly she would push her job off onto a co-worker, creating a hostile work environment. She did not welcome any opinions, and made it very clear that you need to "Roll out the Red Carpet" for specific individuals. Treatment was not the same for all. – less
Enjoy working with the students
Office of the Registrar, clerical staff (Current Employee), Rochester, MIApril 2, 2013
Pros: flexibility of hours
Cons: not enough scheduled hours
Love working in a higher education setting.
Recent addition to part time staff as well as conversion of computer tasks being automated has resulted In A reduction of part time hours. Presently wish to augment the number of hours I work each week.
The best parts of my present job are interaction with students and flexibility of days.
Nursing student office job
Student Nursing Office Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMarch 29, 2013
Pros: i could do homework while at work
Cons: very low pay ad long hours
I got to learn about nursing from the inside out from OU nursing instructors. I got to help other students with their nursing modules and exams.
Loved it
Teaching Assistant for 6 semesters (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIMarch 7, 2013
Never have I enjoyed doing something as much as I did working in the lab. From watching the light go on when a student understood what I was teaching, to seeing the final product of a dissection. This was the best experience of my life.
Good seasonal position
Student employee (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIMarch 7, 2013
Pros: outdoors, left before 3pm almost everyday
Cons: early start, outdoors, low hourly pay
A typical workday was spent outside mowing or digging holes.

Learned that sometimes it can get very hot working outside.

Co-workers were mostly migrant workers.

Hardest part of the job was when it got hot out.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working independently.
Excellent Working Conditions in Higher Education
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIDecember 28, 2012
As an adjunct professor, my schedule varied from semester to semester. I taught American History - both introductory and advanced level courses.

The History Department was an excellent department for an adjunct. The staff was very supportive.

The students were the most enjoyable part of this job, and the hardest part of this job was to cover all of – more... the material in a relatively short period of time. – less
Go OU!
Instructor, Dept. of Communication and Journalism (Current Employee), Rochester, MINovember 19, 2012
A great experience that allows me to interact with students while they work to achieve their goals.