Oakland University Employee Reviews in United States

Oakland University
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 14, 2016
Job Work load is heavy with very little training. Management expectation is stressful and unrealistic of training. Co-workers are very rude and hard to get to know. When in training your point of contact will give you a limited time period to learn your assignment. Do not give training, but have to learn as you go and beware if you make errors.
benefits
Cons
co-workers are rude
Intern
international (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 25, 2015
I had nice experience at the job.
I learn the real accounting and finance stuff .
I work very detail oriented work. its 20 hour job but I learn alot.
Pros
Good experiance.
Cons
no benifits
Good job for students
Japanese Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 6, 2016
This position is good for language students seeking to build experience tutoring others. Very flexible schedules and work at your own pace teaching fellow students in lower level classes to upper levels. Tutors would fill out their availability on and online scheduling program and students would choose which times to meet at the Academic skills center and tutors would be paid hourly even if a student doesn't keep their appointment.
Move Ahead
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIDecember 17, 2015
OU is totally moving forward. I think with the new President they will see much advancement in the overall priorities of the school. I really did not care for the lack of parking for employees. I worked in the C&M department, and I have to say, it was like working in an understaffed ad agency. It was tough commuting 40 minutes, playing musical cars for 10-15, walking sometimes 7 minutes to my builder, only to get there to put out fires.
Pros
Overall a great place to work
Cons
Better parking
Great Benefits, fair compensation
Academic Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hamlin HallJuly 24, 2015
Working as a student, Oakland offered great compensation for the work I completed. Academic Peer Mentors are easily some of the happiest people at Oakland.
Excellent
Clinical Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 12, 2016
Great working experience. The staff are very helpful, and the hospital has been receptive to the students. The parking is a challenge that time of the day.
Pros
Good location
Cons
parking is challenging during the afternoon
Helpful in Research
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 18, 2016
My duty is divers from Teaching assistant that help and main instructor to support the student in and out of the class.
The other part is the research I am doing for my Ph.D degree.
Productive work please
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIMarch 3, 2016
I am in contact with the student every day to help them with their homework or any other issue they may have. Working with student is fun and make you feel you are contributing to the community you live in.
Beside the student I work with my adviser professor in research and this is the most fun I get in this job.
Student worker
Survey Statistician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 23, 2016
Choose your research advisor wisely. You will regret it if you don't. If you do, it can be a great experience. The stupid review forces me to leave a minimal amount of words in this space. So, blah blah blah blah blah blah.
great place to work and get an education
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 17, 2016
Really did have the best time there, made so many freinds and everyone is helpful and happy. As far as mid-wester schooling goes i dont think you can find more caring instructors.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not much
diversity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 28, 2016
many program choices, nice professor, nice study environment, nice location, nice campus culture, nice food in cafe, parking is not easy
Very fun and educational research experience!
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 24, 2016
The good thing about this program was that you had the freedom of setting your own schedule. Some days, we would start early in the morning and work well into the night. Other days, you may only get four hours of work out of the day.
Overall, it was very fulfilling.
Great School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 2, 2016
Great school for undergraduates. The opportunities here are second to none. The emphasis on undergraduate experiences means the you are enabled to succeed more than at other universities.
Amazing Team and Benefits!
Finance and Administration - Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MISeptember 11, 2012
Throughout my career, I have never worked for a company that provided such amazing and affordable benefits!

A typical work day consisted of running errands, managing excel spreadsheets and supervising the master calendar. By directly assisting the Budget Manager, I learned the basics in accounting. Both upper management and my co-workers worked hard as a time, which has directly impacted the success of Oakland University. The most enjoyable part of my job was the incredible knowledge/experience I gained.
Pros
benefits, team mentality, co-workers
Cons
hours, monthly pay schedule
Has a lot of potential to be a great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 28, 2013
A typical day was pretty easy. Unfortunately, you had to find things to do to kill time. Some days were crazy busy. Other days were slow. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unnecessary stress created by a co-worker and director. The director lacked experience in management. Unfortunately she made it difficult to communicate with her, she was high strung and not very diplomatic. She lacked self restraint on her emotions. Sadly she would push her job off onto a co-worker, creating a hostile work environment. She did not welcome any opinions, and made it very clear that you need to "Roll out the Red Carpet" for specific individuals. Treatment was not the same for all.
Pros
great benefits, no weekends, students were amazing and fun.
Cons
internal unecessary stress created within, no jobs available elswhere in medical assisting within the company, very political.
fun workplace
Secretary/ Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 11, 2016
Getting to know the students was so fun. So many different cultures and knew things learned is always amazing. I learned that working in a big atmosphere is not as scary as I thought lol. the worst part was having to leave because my car broke sown
Very good environment for study.
Teacher, English (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills MichiganMarch 9, 2016
All Professors were very helpful. The college was also very organized. People were also so nice. I really liked Oakland University.
Fun, interesting, friendly environment
Library/Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MISeptember 25, 2015
College job that had no restrictions on learning, growing and improving in different areas within the job. Management was understanding and supportive. Very diverse culture of employees
Pros
study breaks
Cons
low pay
Oakland University
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 25, 2015
It offers instructional programs of high quality that lead to degrees at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels as well as programs in continuing education; it advances knowledge and promotes the arts through research, scholarship and creative activity; and it renders significant public service. In all its activities, the university strives to exemplify educational leadership.
Pros
Free tuition for faculty
Cons
almost none
Assisting students with their education
Project Upward Bound Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 11, 2015
Laid back but busy at the same time. I learned that not all students learn at the same past. Management is excellent. My co-workers was helpful and serious about making sure the students get the best education possible. The hardest part was getting the students to listen and do their homework without being disturb by other classmates. The most enjoyable part was seeing results that the students got on the homework because of me and my co-workers assistance.
Pros
helping students succeed
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oakland University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4