Oakland University Employee Reviews

Great cause, long distance, commission based
Marketing Intern/Knowledge Drive Representative (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAAugust 28, 2014
You as a student desire the most efficient way to get your homework done faster, studying done quicker with the most immediate understanding. It is inevitable that no matter what there will always be practice and patience. Course Hero offers an opportunity to look at current and older study notes for you exact courses via high school and or college. To always be updating these courses from specific teachers, there is a need for people to upload their old and current study documents online following the image underneath. The Knowledge Drive has partnered up with Books for Africa two years ago, and for every 10 documents that you upload, 1 book gets donated to Africa. Raising over 90,000 books with the sky as the limit. Beneficial to both yourself as you receive 1 month of Premier Access to Course Hero will be awarded to every student who uploads 40 documents. Receiving additional days of membership for every document uploaded beyond 40 to look at midterms, finals, practice quizzes, etc. for future classes scheduled! I believe most people have a strong belief that the greatest personal measure of career success is whether or not we have made a difference to the world. Not every person has a good start to life as others do, but everyone deserves a chance to get to their own. Upon my Leader Link on the Course Hero website, it just takes a little time to create an account, to help contribute to not only an intelligent but sentimental cause. Hardest part is getting paid $10 for every course uploaded which can range from 10-50 documents, but you really don't mind the pay because of  more... all the books getting donated and that simply is the most enjoyable part about this job.  less
Pros
donations to africa, management, marketing
Cons
long distance, pay
Dedicated and qualified professional working in the administrative support field for over 10 years. Organize and people-oriented with excellent inter
Office Assistant II/ Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 18, 2015
Provide administrative support for the office by serving as the point of contact of the office with assisting students, visitors, and directing incoming calls. In addition I maintain the entering the timesheet for our casual employees into our university's software system called Banner.

I've learned that is imperative to be the support system for the department to ensure that procedures are in compliance to office's policies.

I enjoy working with people, which allows me to be adaptable with working with my staff. Our office operate as a team and I understand that each of our roles play a vital part in productivity of the office.

The hardest part of the job is during the summer months when there are down times. I enjoy staying busy and working on task that are challenging for growth. However, when I face moments like this, I always be sure to ask co-workers and my supervisor if they need assistance with any tasks and/or projects.

I enjoy interacting with people. I come in contact with dozens of students and prospective students daily working at an university. In addition I enjoy developing innovative ideas to better assist with job activities.
Pros
interacting with people, computer operations, education environment
Cons
down time
An example of a good work environment (in my opinion)
Facility Services Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MichiganMarch 14, 2015
I only worked when I was scheduled, I got to see the sporting events for free as myself and other co-workers would often be floor security during sporting events. Before the sporting events we would setup whatever is needed such as folding chairs along the sidelines during basketball games for the basketball players, setting up volleyball nets for volleyball games, etc. Management was more than understanding seeing as we were college students and our education came first but they were very kind people as well. Probably the only hard part of the job would be the location, the sports arena sat on a hill and if there was a soccer game scheduled walking down to the field was kind of risky. I enjoyed working as I could work with friends and acquaintances but everything was pretty enjoyable.
Pros
good work environment, understanding management, free food
Cons
poor location for sports arena
Has a lot of potential to be a great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 28, 2013
A typical day was pretty easy. Unfortunately, you had to find things to do to kill time. Some days were crazy busy. Other days were slow. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unnecessary stress created by a co-worker and director. The director lacked experience in management. Unfortunately she made it difficult to communicate with her, she was high strung and not very diplomatic. She lacked self restraint on her emotions. Sadly she would push her job off onto a co-worker, creating a hostile work environment. She did not welcome any opinions, and made it very clear that you need to "Roll out the Red Carpet" for specific individuals. Treatment was not the same for all.
Pros
great benefits, no weekends, students were amazing and fun.
Cons
internal unecessary stress created within, no jobs available elswhere in medical assisting within the company, very political.
Awesome workplace
Fitness Intern (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 2, 2012
A typical day at work would be working with my team in the morning. Meetings around noon with group members, team leaders, marketing staff, board members, and educators to review things going on in the fitness, wellness facilities. Afternoon is setting up, coordinating and preparing for the fall into fitness program, biggest loser program and harvest to health wellness fair. The end of my day begins with educating students for the Fall into Fitness wellness program for all students.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people. I like getting to know people, working with people and talking to people to get to know them, learning their stories and learning how I can help them.
Pros
scheduling, communication, staff, facilities, members
Cons
income
Amazing Team and Benefits!
Finance and Administration - Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MISeptember 11, 2012
Throughout my career, I have never worked for a company that provided such amazing and affordable benefits!

A typical work day consisted of running errands, managing excel spreadsheets and supervising the master calendar. By directly assisting the Budget Manager, I learned the basics in accounting. Both upper management and my co-workers worked hard as a time, which has directly impacted the success of Oakland University. The most enjoyable part of my job was the incredible knowledge/experience I gained.
Pros
benefits, team mentality, co-workers
Cons
hours, monthly pay schedule
Move Ahead
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIDecember 17, 2015
OU is totally moving forward. I think with the new President they will see much advancement in the overall priorities of the school. I really did not care for the lack of parking for employees. I worked in the C&M department, and I have to say, it was like working in an understaffed ad agency. It was tough commuting 40 minutes, playing musical cars for 10-15, walking sometimes 7 minutes to my builder, only to get there to put out fires.
Pros
Overall a great place to work
Cons
Better parking
A day of being a peer tutor at Oakland University
Academic Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 5, 2015
I originally started working this job while I was a student at OU and would tutor after my day of classes would be done for the day. As a tutor, it was permissible to work up to 20 hours a week either as a walk-in tutor where students could come in and ask for tutoring help or as an appointment tutor where you had one one hour sessions with a student.
Pros
Make your own schedule, great staff, and very friendly environment.
Cons
Only allowed to work up to 20 hours each week and minimum wage pay.
Amazing, collaborative work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 6, 2015
Oakland University's business program is comprehensive and its faculty is very collaborative and supportive. I've worked with the faculty over the past couple of years and it has been a rewarding experience from the start. I've learned a lot about corporate culture, the research and publication process, strategic management, and organizational behavior while working for Oakland, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the intellectual stimulation that came with my job responsibilities. As a research assistant I collected data, developed papers, and reviewed literature, all of which I really enjoyed.
Great opportunity to learn to train with online learrning
ELearning - Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIFebruary 22, 2014
I enjoyed being able to launch my first online blended learning course.
Oakland University was flexible, I had great management support
The hardest part of the job was when students graduated. Teaching was so rewarding and meaningful as I watched my adult student grow in front of me in their understanding of their own purposes and passions as they went on to assist other in their career searched and career promotions.

Very rewarding experiences!
Pros
flexibility and meeting new people
Cons
resource limitations

Want to know more about Oakland University?

Ask a question
Assisting students with their education
Project Upward Bound Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 11, 2015
Laid back but busy at the same time. I learned that not all students learn at the same past. Management is excellent. My co-workers was helpful and serious about making sure the students get the best education possible. The hardest part was getting the students to listen and do their homework without being disturb by other classmates. The most enjoyable part was seeing results that the students got on the homework because of me and my co-workers assistance.
Pros
helping students succeed
Cons
short hours
Good place for entry-level positions (non-degree) with good benefits packet
Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 10, 2015
The work environment is relaxed.
The focus is strictly students and faculty; staff are not important (staff clerical, administrative professionals, maintenance, etc)
I enjoyed the first 2 years because I was learning but after the 3rd year I haven't learned anything in my job.
I was able to receive my Master degree but I am unable to advance in the company because there are no positions available.
Employees generally stay in there positions until retirement.
Good university
Research Associate/Post-doctorate Fellow (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 27, 2015
I am working here as the post-doc researcher and the environment is good for new graduate.

• Developed high sensitive wearable ionic liquid based gas sensor by electrochemical approach
• Designed and optimized O2, Ozone, methanol sensor with high sensitivity and low detection limit for living and field environment
• Characterized sensor surface morphology by microscope and contact angle techniques
• Mentored junior graduate students, offered counsel and provided advice for research projects
On campus employment is fantastic!
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 3, 2012
While at Oakland University I worked in the Academic Skills Center on campus. The work as manageable, the staff were wonderful, and the higher education environment is very appealing. I had the best co-workers and meeting other departments was always fun and interesting as you learned the ins and outs of other departments. Understanding how the university works makes even more loyal and thankful to attend.
It was good and convenient for myself.
Lab Monitor and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMarch 6, 2015
This job was very convenient because I was a student at Oakland University during this time, which was the best part of the job. While maintaining this job I learned how to manage time between work and school. It gave responsibility that I really enjoyed. My boss was great and understanding towards me having school so it was never an issue if it conflicted with classes and work.
Allows me to work independently and utilize my exceptional organization and communication skills
Event Coordinator & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 10, 2012
My typical day consists of communicating with other departments and outside agencies to coordinate events, order supplies and services, obtain information and communicate needs and desires for events. I compile and manage databases, I do budget projections, I work with volunteers and volunteer organizations.
Pros
freedom to manage events, work with little direction
Cons
can be difficult to navigate the system.
Oakland University
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 25, 2015
It offers instructional programs of high quality that lead to degrees at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels as well as programs in continuing education; it advances knowledge and promotes the arts through research, scholarship and creative activity; and it renders significant public service. In all its activities, the university strives to exemplify educational leadership.
Pros
Free tuition for faculty
Cons
almost none
Lacks sincerity in administration, too much butt kiss required for promotion.
Financial Aid Adviser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MISeptember 4, 2013
High turnover, highly strressful, lack of collaboration and team spirit, everyone is just trying to get what they can out of the benefits( free education because of 100% tuition reimbursement.
Cons
administration unwilling to change policies to improve student satisfaction, which ultimately improved work environment.
Enjoy working with the students
Office of the Registrar, clerical staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 2, 2013
Love working in a higher education setting.
Recent addition to part time staff as well as conversion of computer tasks being automated has resulted In A reduction of part time hours. Presently wish to augment the number of hours I work each week.
The best parts of my present job are interaction with students and flexibility of days.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
not enough scheduled hours
Oakland University
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 14, 2016
Job Work load is heavy with very little training. Management expectation is stressful and unrealistic of training. Co-workers are very rude and hard to get to know. When in training your point of contact will give you a limited time period to learn your assignment. Do not give training, but have to learn as you go and beware if you make errors.
benefits
Cons
co-workers are rude

4.4