Oakland University Employee Reviews

Very fun and educational research experience!
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 24, 2016
The good thing about this program was that you had the freedom of setting your own schedule. Some days, we would start early in the morning and work well into the night. Other days, you may only get four hours of work out of the day.
Overall, it was very fulfilling.
Oakland University
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 14, 2016
Job Work load is heavy with very little training. Management expectation is stressful and unrealistic of training. Co-workers are very rude and hard to get to know. When in training your point of contact will give you a limited time period to learn your assignment. Do not give training, but have to learn as you go and beware if you make errors.
benefits
Cons
co-workers are rude
fun workplace
Secretary/ Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJanuary 11, 2016
Getting to know the students was so fun. So many different cultures and knew things learned is always amazing. I learned that working in a big atmosphere is not as scary as I thought lol. the worst part was having to leave because my car broke sown
Love this school!
Office Assistant, Academic Skills Center (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJanuary 4, 2016
I had the best time at Oakland University while earning my Bachelors. The on campus community as well as the professors made it an experience to remember.
Move Ahead
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIDecember 17, 2015
OU is totally moving forward. I think with the new President they will see much advancement in the overall priorities of the school. I really did not care for the lack of parking for employees. I worked in the C&M department, and I have to say, it was like working in an understaffed ad agency. It was tough commuting 40 minutes, playing musical cars for 10-15, walking sometimes 7 minutes to my builder, only to get there to put out fires.
Pros
Overall a great place to work
Cons
Better parking
Intern
international (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 25, 2015
I had nice experience at the job.
I learn the real accounting and finance stuff .
I work very detail oriented work. its 20 hour job but I learn alot.
Pros
Good experiance.
Cons
no benifits
Good school, but needs less drama
TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 7, 2015
it's a good place, but there is lots of drama. management is very weird. Some people are nice some not. I learned that take you need to take everything seriously.
Oakland University
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 25, 2015
It offers instructional programs of high quality that lead to degrees at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels as well as programs in continuing education; it advances knowledge and promotes the arts through research, scholarship and creative activity; and it renders significant public service. In all its activities, the university strives to exemplify educational leadership.
Pros
Free tuition for faculty
Cons
almost none
A day of being a peer tutor at Oakland University
Academic Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 5, 2015
I originally started working this job while I was a student at OU and would tutor after my day of classes would be done for the day. As a tutor, it was permissible to work up to 20 hours a week either as a walk-in tutor where students could come in and ask for tutoring help or as an appointment tutor where you had one one hour sessions with a student.
Pros
Make your own schedule, great staff, and very friendly environment.
Cons
Only allowed to work up to 20 hours each week and minimum wage pay.
Nice educational environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MISeptember 26, 2015
I liked it. The department of biological sciences is very understanding and professional. The chair for the biology department, however, is not that professional.
Cons
Parking

Want to know more about Oakland University?

Ask a question
Fun, interesting, friendly environment
Library/Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MISeptember 25, 2015
College job that had no restrictions on learning, growing and improving in different areas within the job. Management was understanding and supportive. Very diverse culture of employees
Pros
study breaks
Cons
low pay
Gets tiring really quick
Residential Assistant/Night Watch Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Auburn HillsSeptember 23, 2015
A lot of "games" being played in housing in order to advance or get a position in the first place. They only support diversity if you conform to their beliefs and individuality is rare.
Guest Lecturer
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIAugust 12, 2015
Guest Lecturer is the official title for Clinical Nursing Instructors. Term to term contract with very little on campus time.
Cons
No advancement.
Assisting students with their education
Project Upward Bound Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 11, 2015
Laid back but busy at the same time. I learned that not all students learn at the same past. Management is excellent. My co-workers was helpful and serious about making sure the students get the best education possible. The hardest part was getting the students to listen and do their homework without being disturb by other classmates. The most enjoyable part was seeing results that the students got on the homework because of me and my co-workers assistance.
Pros
helping students succeed
Cons
short hours
Productive and informative environment
Research Assistant (full time) (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 9, 2015
I worked in a productive and fast-paced research lab. I was able to learn many new techniques while working independently as well as with other lab members.
Perfect job for on-campus college student
Student Assistant to Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJuly 31, 2015
Working at the Honors College remains one of the highlights of my life during my college years. The staff, faculty and students provided a wonderful experience. My graduating coincided with the retirement of the Honors College Director and Administrative Secretary and was hired as the interim secretary for a year before a new Director and Secretary were hired.
Pros
Perfect college job
Cons
Temporary work
Great Benefits, fair compensation
Academic Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Hamlin HallJuly 24, 2015
Working as a student, Oakland offered great compensation for the work I completed. Academic Peer Mentors are easily some of the happiest people at Oakland.
Dedicated and qualified professional working in the administrative support field for over 10 years. Organize and people-oriented with excellent inter
Office Assistant II/ Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 18, 2015
Provide administrative support for the office by serving as the point of contact of the office with assisting students, visitors, and directing incoming calls. In addition I maintain the entering the timesheet for our casual employees into our university's software system called Banner.

I've learned that is imperative to be the support system for the department to ensure that procedures are in compliance to office's policies.

I enjoy working with people, which allows me to be adaptable with working with my staff. Our office operate as a team and I understand that each of our roles play a vital part in productivity of the office.

The hardest part of the job is during the summer months when there are down times. I enjoy staying busy and working on task that are challenging for growth. However, when I face moments like this, I always be sure to ask co-workers and my supervisor if they need assistance with any tasks and/or projects.

I enjoy interacting with people. I come in contact with dozens of students and prospective students daily working at an university. In addition I enjoy developing innovative ideas to better assist with job activities.
Pros
interacting with people, computer operations, education environment
Cons
down time
Progressive academic environment
Integrated Marketing Faculty (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 1, 2015
Opportunity to bring real-world business experience into a higher learning setting for undergraduate and graduate students; high tech classrooms available and progressive teaching methods are encouraged
Good university
Research Associate/Post-doctorate Fellow (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 27, 2015
I am working here as the post-doc researcher and the environment is good for new graduate.

• Developed high sensitive wearable ionic liquid based gas sensor by electrochemical approach
• Designed and optimized O2, Ozone, methanol sensor with high sensitivity and low detection limit for living and field environment
• Characterized sensor surface morphology by microscope and contact angle techniques
• Mentored junior graduate students, offered counsel and provided advice for research projects

4.4