Oakland University Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 13, 2017
Fun opportunity to learn about researching. This has helped me in my future career. It was also a very laid-back atmosphere. I also made a lot of friends.
Productive golf course management
Golf Course Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 9, 2017
Arriving at work and acquiring projects to complete. Projects usually involve the maintenance of sand bunkers, branch and garbage removal, trimming of bushes and tree branches, and grass cutting.

Gain knowledge in grass and bunker management, use of landscaping power tools, and time management.
Pleasant Experience!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 7, 2017
I worked as a student assistant within the Womens' Studies Program. Fantastic experience, learned a lot regarding setting up of special programs and events.
Pros
Great co-workers, great resume experience. Do it!
Cons
Working for University as a Student Assistant = limited pay.
Extremely fun and productive
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIAugust 5, 2017
You work to cultivate and foster group dynamics while working on personal skills. Each person that you meet that works for housing is more enthusiastic and willing to help than the next.
Pros
Well paid and benefited
Cons
Long hours, always on call
Loved teaching clinicals!
Adjunct Clinical Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 9, 2017
I loved teaching clinicals to the nursing students and see the "light bulb go off" when they understood a concept.
This was only a semester long teaching position.
Very good, friendly environment
Starlit Research Assistant/RA Captain (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 28, 2017
Provided me with tons of leadership and organizational skills. This is good for students who are interested in pursing a career in psychology. You have to be really dedicated for this job is great. Everyone gets along very well.
Pros
Great Letter of Recommendation from your supervisors
Cons
No pay
Engaging and professional work environment.
Student Activities Funding Board Chair (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 26, 2017
Work began in the office reviewing emails and phone messages. Daily work required reviewing budget requests and working on semester long events/initiatives for the student body.
Productive workplace
IT Management Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 23, 2017
I was able to develop many crucial skills including data analysis, requirements gathering, database management, business systems analysis, business objects development, project management and delivery of process innovations.
Work study,
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJune 17, 2017
I enjoyed working at Oakland University. I was just a student worker so I got no benefits. It was a passive job for me until I finished school. I loved the work environment.
Positive experience as graduate student who is was working toward a PhD.
Graduate Assistant Research (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 17, 2017
I wished as a graduate assistant the department provided a minimum health insurance, but grateful for free tuition! The people are very easy to get along with.
Pros
Free Tuition
Cons
We had to share a room with five other people which can be too noisy and distracted.
Professional yet fun place to work
College Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIJune 14, 2017
Great place to work. The Project Upward Bound department really is a great experience for me because it allowed me to reach out to students in high school mentoring them but selling the brand Oakland University hoping to lure students to enroll in the school.
Great institution, very slow pace
Leader (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 13, 2017
Great institution, very pleasant work environment. As a public academic institution, they feel very little pressure of competition, which explains very slow pace
Productive place to work as a team..
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 9, 2017
Very good place to work.. To build very good working environment. . great customer skills.. Great listening and more importantly a very good culture environment
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Heat in kitchen
Super fun and great experience!
ADMISSION'S AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 29, 2017
Who gets to say that they're an admission's ambassador for a University? Not loads! It's such a great experience to show the pride that you have for your school. I love the positive vibes that I receive when giving tours and just doing my job in general. Everyone is so appreciative! Working for the university also means getting a certain GPA so it motivates you to do well in school!
Pros
Being yourself and acceptance
Good learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Oakland County, MIMay 24, 2017
Lean material for a class, have to study and do homework for multiple classes and then take exams of what he learned from those classes and the books.
Pros
education
Cons
hard work
Pros and Cons of Working: Mostly Pros
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIMay 16, 2017
I open the desk at 8am, update the Excel cash sheet. Throughout the day I check in packages and mail and check packages out as well as rental equipment throughout the day. I make money transaction as well. My night shifts consist of me tidying the equipment rooms, updating the Excel money sheet and locking the office.
I learned about time management resulting in me using my time wisely and communicating with people of all ages and background.
The hardest part of the job was making sure I had time to do my homework and readings for class, otherwise the job was very accommodating. I enjoyed working in general, I didn't mind being on my feet or carrying heavy items. I enjoyed communicating with my bosses and working underneath them.
Pros
4 hour shifts.
Cons
Wasn't a job that allowed benefits
College Campus
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIMay 15, 2017
Great place to work. Our team works very well together. We make the most of the resources provided and find innovative ways to share opportunities to families and individuals impacted by ASD.
Pros
Great work colleagues
Cons
Not enough employees
Fun place to be
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 6, 2017
It was an easy job and vey laid back work. Worth working there if you're a student who lives on campus. It's a housing job so apply through housing when you get the opportunity!
Pros
Got to do homework, laid back, work at your own pace
Very laid back atmospher
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MIMay 2, 2017
A typical day is very simple. Come into the research lab, figure out the synthesis that needs to be done, and perform. Any questions are always answered by the professor or post-doc. Very little stress.
Pros
Fluid Schedule
Cons
No room for advancement without new degree
Graduate Student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 6, 2017
Graduate students dont get any health benefits and are barely paid enough to survive. Were also completing coursework as well as researching so our hours are incredibly long