Oakland University

Oakland University Employer Reviews

Great Entry Level Job
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIJanuary 13, 2014
Job was entry level / work-study, not much else to say. Was able to do homework while getting paid.
Helpful to the community and to students
Practicum Counselor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIOctober 4, 2013
Great learning opportunity. Many opportunities to learn and experience different diagnosis and treatments.
Great University
Student (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MISeptember 18, 2013
Was a student in 2007. Graduated with a CDF Certification from Oakland University. it was a beautiful experience learning on the Campus of OU.
Lacks sincerity in administration, too much butt kiss required for promotion.
Financial Aid Adviser (Former Employee), Rochester, MISeptember 4, 2013
Cons: administration unwilling to change policies to improve student satisfaction, which ultimately improved work environment.
High turnover, highly strressful, lack of collaboration and team spirit, everyone is just trying to get what they can out of the benefits( free education because of 100% tuition reimbursement.
Good place for work and study
Mathematics (Current Employee), Auburn Hills, MIJuly 31, 2013
Good place for work and study. Because I was student and Graduate assistant so for me it was enjoyable time.
Fun and exciting place to work.
Asst. Facilities and Events Director/Internship (Current Employee), Rochester, MIJune 18, 2013
I was happy to be a part of Oakland University for the last 12 months and look forward to taking the valuable experiences with me to my next job.
Great fun working here
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Rochester, MIJune 17, 2013
Cons: we have excellent full covered hmo from priorityhealth
I have great time doing research here. we work many of Govt projects such as Department of defence(DoD), NSF, ARO, ONR etc.
Oakland University
Research Assistant for Dr. Virgil Zeigler-Hill (Current Employee), Rochester, MIJune 7, 2013
I enjoyed my four years at Oakland University. The professors were very helpful and dedicated as much of their time to helping students as they could.The school taught me a lot of valuable skills to continue to use throughout my professional career.
Generous DSS Program for students
Note Taker (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIMay 28, 2013
OU wants students to succeed; paying able students to take notes for unable students is one of many ways OU ensures success.
Has a lot of potential to be a great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMay 28, 2013
Pros: great benefits, no weekends, students were amazing and fun.
Cons: internal unecessary stress created within, no jobs available elswhere in medical assisting within the company, very political.
A typical day was pretty easy. Unfortunately, you had to find things to do to kill time. Some days were crazy busy. Other days were slow. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unnecessary stress created by a co-worker and director. The director lacked experience in management. Unfortunately she made it difficult to communicate with her, she was high strung and not very diplomatic. She lacked self restraint on her emotions. Sadly she would push her job off onto a co-worker, creating a hostile work environment. She did not welcome any opinions, and made it very clear that you need to "Roll out the Red Carpet" for specific individuals. Treatment was not the same for all.
Enjoy working with the students
Office of the Registrar, clerical staff (Current Employee), Rochester, MIApril 2, 2013
Pros: flexibility of hours
Cons: not enough scheduled hours
Love working in a higher education setting.
Recent addition to part time staff as well as conversion of computer tasks being automated has resulted In A reduction of part time hours. Presently wish to augment the number of hours I work each week.
The best parts of my present job are interaction with students and flexibility of days.
Nursing student office job
Student Nursing Office Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMarch 29, 2013
Pros: i could do homework while at work
Cons: very low pay ad long hours
I got to learn about nursing from the inside out from OU nursing instructors. I got to help other students with their nursing modules and exams.
Loved it
Teaching Assistant for 6 semesters (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIMarch 7, 2013
Never have I enjoyed doing something as much as I did working in the lab. From watching the light go on when a student understood what I was teaching, to seeing the final product of a dissection. This was the best experience of my life.
Good seasonal position
Student employee (Former Employee), Rochester Hills, MIMarch 7, 2013
Pros: outdoors, left before 3pm almost everyday
Cons: early start, outdoors, low hourly pay
A typical workday was spent outside mowing or digging holes.

Learned that sometimes it can get very hot working outside.

Co-workers were mostly migrant workers.

Hardest part of the job was when it got hot out.

Most enjoyable part of the job was working independently.
Excellent Working Conditions in Higher Education
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Rochester, MIDecember 28, 2012
As an adjunct professor, my schedule varied from semester to semester. I taught American History - both introductory and advanced level courses.

The History Department was an excellent department for an adjunct. The staff was very supportive.

The students were the most enjoyable part of this job, and the hardest part of this job was to cover all of the material in a relatively short period of time.
Go OU!
Instructor, Dept. of Communication and Journalism (Current Employee), Rochester, MINovember 19, 2012
A great experience that allows me to interact with students while they work to achieve their goals.
Creative place to work
Director of Constituent Communications (Current Employee), Rochester, MI 48307November 5, 2012
Oakland University is an upbeat creative place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the autonomy I have to try new ideas and implement improvements.
Fair opportunity for advancement
Student Intern (Former Employee), Rochester, MIOctober 12, 2012
Pros: wonderful supervisor and co workers
My employment with Oakland University was through a work study program when I was a student. I enjoyed working closely with individuals who were former students of Oakland. The office setting was very comfortable and I was well trained.
Awesome workplace
Fitness Intern (Current Employee), Rochester, MIOctober 2, 2012
Pros: scheduling, communication, staff, facilities, members
Cons: income
A typical day at work would be working with my team in the morning. Meetings around noon with group members, team leaders, marketing staff, board members, and educators to review things going on in the fitness, wellness facilities. Afternoon is setting up, coordinating and preparing for the fall into fitness program, biggest loser program and harvest to health wellness fair. The end of my day begins with educating students for the Fall into Fitness wellness program for all students.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people. I like getting to know people, working with people and talking to people to get to know them, learning their stories and learning how I can help them.
love sharing my knowledge and experiences with adult learners
Adjunct Faculty, Executive MBA Program (Current Employee), Auburn Hills, MISeptember 25, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: not full time
One passion is to help management create the best workplaces they can. Technical knowledge is important. Application, even if in the classroom is valid also