Oakton Community College Employee Reviews

High standard of education
lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 21, 2016
Oakton's Nursing program is demanding, the teachers are strict and they expect the students to commit to learning. At the same time I feel there is a good support network for those who seek help.Overall it is a great school with state of art health and science facility. It equips future nurses with all the necessary skills and knowledge to face the ever changing world of health care.
Great opportunity to teach others.
Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILSeptember 11, 2015
I liked teaching both the ICD-9 coding class and also the class on diseases. This helped develop my structure, preparation and organizational skills. I learned that I really enjoy teaching.
Pros
I learned that I like teaching.
Engaging and Productive
Student employee (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 5, 2015
A typical day at work would be helping out students with class registration or financial aid related work. I learned scanning and indexing financial aid documents after accepting paperwork from students.
This job took place a long time ago
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJune 17, 2015
Working with The Daily newspaper an eye opening experience for me. I had not done anything like this before and in the end it was a good learning experience for me.
Great team
Early Childhood Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILMay 21, 2015
In a typical day, I do everything from prepare students' lunches, clean, set classroom up for nap time, and assist in the classroom. Time flies quickly while working with kids and a great team of teachers.
Cons
casual employee has a 500 hours a year cap
Fast paced one stop for student registration, academic advising, and financial aid
Advising & Counseling Center (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMay 19, 2015
Fasted pace work flow during registration periods, well balanced between work /life balance. Not much advancement for part time employees.
productive and educational place to work at
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMay 4, 2015
its a work study and you get to learn new scientific techniques each day. It helps you grow into the profession you want to persue.
Easy job
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 8, 2015
Working with students everyday with their math related problems. Mostly computer based courses. Also helped achieving a better satisfaction score for our department.
Pros
open schedule
Cons
low pay
Interesting experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILDecember 25, 2014
As an instructor, my classroom activities are centered around providing my students with a interesting, yet challenging forum.

My management team is very open and helpful. Rarely does a question or problem go without immediate attention.

Hardest part of the job is all the hours (unpaid) that goes into lesson plans, quizzes, tests, etc.

Most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my students.
Pros
great facilities, fellow instructors.
Cons
relativly long prep hours.
Communication Professor - Des Plaines (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMay 2, 2014
Great place to work if you are FT faculty. If you are PT faculty though the students are great and so is the culture and staff but the pay is low.
Productive and I love training new student aides
Biology laboratory student aide (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 29, 2014
It is an excellent place to work at. The best part of the job is it is an ever learning experience. There is always new stuff to learn and room for improvement of your skills as a laboratory student aide.
Pros
close to my class
Cons
lacks health insurance for student aides
Great work place
Student Employee Credentials (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 19, 2014
Nice to work with students. Great personal growth as a person and comunication.
Productive and fun place to work with.
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILFebruary 10, 2014
* Maintain student records in terms of progress and consistency.
* Use structural methods and materials appropriate for students success.
* Encouraged growth of study skills in written and oral communication.
best training experience
Faculty Sponsor (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 1, 2014
Had the best experience of my life. training was phenomenal.
not a fun place
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILDecember 1, 2013
Not a fun place to work. You are always under pressure and the supervisor was an arrogant person.
Customer Service
Enrollment Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMay 19, 2013
• Assisted in providing a seamless transition for the prospective to new students.
• Produced follow-up reports regarding activities and future plans for departmental staff.
• Provide financial aid guidance and intake support, scheduled advising & counseling appointments, and maintained the integrity of the student information system
• Assisted new students with the enrollment process including; general advising, placement testing, registration and orientation.
Free education.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2013
Oakton Community College employees over 1,000 employees. It is a lot of fun, especially when students are present on campus, they are a lot of fun to watch. My coworkers are a lot of fun too. Both students and workers are from different nationalities and I was able to learn a lot from them.
Pros
good benefits.
Cons
do not want to talk about it.
Good job for student
Information Technology Aide, Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILOctober 6, 2012
Typical day consists of sitting at a helpdesk and helping students with issues that may occur with both software and hardware. Many students seem to know what to do when a problem occurs and therefore no help is rarely needed. Its one of the best jobs for a student but if you are trying to move up then I suggest working somewhere else. Your hourly rate is capped below $9 and will never go higher due to your status as a student employee. I also noticed a lot of older people (seniors) working student jobs here. I wish the college would crack down on that since I know some more serious students would benefit more from these jobs than these so-called students. All you need to qualify to work here is a non-credit class that only meets for one day. Some don't even show up to that class at all. Managers are alright here. Its the same at every other job. There are some that are really cool and others that seem to not like working there. Working here you learn and gain some good experience so I'm happy with the time I've had here and would recommend this job to any student.
Pros
easy work, friendly students
Cons
capped hourly rate, no room for advancement
productive and fun work place with fun co workers.
IT specialist (Former Employee) –  skokieJanuary 23, 2012
Good place to work with great management. Hours can be long sometimes and it can take a while to learn everything.
Pros
free lunch

4.5