Oakton Community College Employee Reviews

good
Registration Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 18, 2017
this school is great you really want to go there if you have low income and you need to get your foot in the door or you will need to go straight to a university
Working at Oakton is fun, but don't stay too long.
Darkroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 18, 2017
The administration sees both students and student employees as children, and treats them as such; the advantage is a non-stressful, convenient work environment, but the cons are no benefits, 25 hour limited work weeks, no room for pay advancement, and a 6 year maximum employment time. They also have been known to spontaneously fire employees if the department is over budget, without informing managers.
Pros
Easy, relaxed, convenient
Cons
No advancement, no pay raises, unexpectedly busy days
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 1, 2017
This job was very satisfying and I loved the people I worked with. It was a pleasure to serve students in this college and help them with other education opportunities,.
School Environment
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILSeptember 13, 2017
The computer lab was a wonderful to work. I enjoyed helping students with software applications. I enjoyed learning new procedures and rules in the computer lab regarding maintenance and upgrade.
Very Good
Adjunct Professor - Biological Science (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJuly 9, 2017
Oakton Has an exceptional campus, great students and staff. The administration is getting better and aware of how adjunct faculty feel left out.
Need more full time faculty.
Pros
Campus, co workers
Cons
Job security
Small, short-term, but a terrific place to start to get pocket-money for people to start looking for a job.
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJune 26, 2017
In this community college, these small jobs are for students to get their foot in the door when it comes to get a taste in the working world, and to also pass off tedious work for staff as it is students who handle other student's lifestyle such as homework, classwork information, or purchases.
Pros
accepting, fun
Cons
pay not suitable for living
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJune 14, 2017
a great place to work for and rewarding
I learned how to work with different staff members
management was very helpful
variety of culture
it was a very good job no complaints
meeting person and learning new things.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
wonderful
Fantastic experience
Student Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMay 9, 2017
I absolutely loved working here. Oakton was my first job and probably the best one I've had yet! I loved waking up everyday to go to work, to learn, have challenges, and interact with so many amazing people. The payroll and Accounting department was filled with so many caring and nice personalities. Everyday was a day to celebrate. I also remember we always had fun. After working at Oakton and seeing how hard the staff and management really works my positive viewpoint towards the school really went went up. If I could, I would go back there to work in the future and meet more great people.
Pros
Celebrations, knowledge, friendly atmosphere, staff, organized
Cons
Pay/Employment only so as you attend the school.
Great place to work.
English Teacher (ESL) (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILMarch 21, 2017
Fun place to work. Interesting diverse student body. Great training programs. Great place to start teaching before you move on to a four year college.
Pros
Employees treated well.
Cons
Hard to park
Fantastic Job & Excellent Supervision
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 21, 2017
Part time position working with college students was a wonderful position. I had excellent supervision, the school genuinely cares about the well-being of their students and employees, and I was able to facilitate a relationship group for the students. Great experience here.

Want to know more about Oakton Community College?

Ask a question
Great experience with colleagues and students
Assistant Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 1, 2017
Enjoy all aspects of interaction with students and staff! Management is very supportive of our activities and gives us the tools to succeed. The only part of the jod that I don't enjoy is losing!(
N/a
Enrollment Specialist Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJanuary 30, 2017
It was a great job with many learning benefits. It gave me the chance to acquire new skills and utilize what I previously knew.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Did multiple asks for such little pay
Motivation to pursue chemical engineering, work in a team
Independent Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 3, 2017
I worked as an independent research intern for the STEM program at Oakton Community College. This helped me further motivate my path to pursue chemical engineering as I was able to see how it is the root to producing a desired finished product. The research project was based on finding how Biodiesel emitted harmful NOx into the atmosphere and finding a proper solution accordingly to overcome the trouble. The experiments conducted for this were Thin Layer Chromatography and Column Chromatography. We analyzed our results through NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) / IR (Infrared) spectroscopy during the
Fun and Relax
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILDecember 15, 2016
Have to be a student to work here also fun place to work lots of down time to work on school stuff also a great way to see how a school runs. hardest part is packages can be heavy
Excellent place to learn
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILDecember 12, 2016
During my time at Oakton Community College, I was able to learn what it means to work in an American professional setting, and strive to fulfill various objectives.
Very good working environment
Full Time Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILSeptember 2, 2016
The school emphasized having a multicultural faculty and student body. Students were given every opportunity to succeed.
Free donuts somedays
Professional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILSeptember 2, 2016
A fun job helping students solve problems in their coursework and classes. Finding different ways of solving questions and help them understand concepts relating to their coursework.
Daily Strategies
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJune 2, 2016
My work days are filled with constant deadlines. From reviewing new classes, hiring instructors, producing reports, interacting with students, troubleshooting, contacting partners and potential partners, managing staff, reviewing department budget, divisional meetings, term planning, my day is filled with tasks.

What I enjoy most about my current position is the opportunity to work with internal and external partners. It brings me great excitement to see positive results of my team's work on a daily basis.
Pros
Summer Work Hours (Off on Fridays)
Work Environment
IT/Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMay 30, 2016
Learning and experiencing new change in technology around the campus. Solving various technical issues around the campus. Exciting bunch of co-workers, which I learned many things from.
Good place to get started
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 24, 2016
I'd go in, deliver mail, receive packages from delivery companies such as UPS, FedEx, deliver those, and some other odd deliveries. Coworkers could be a bit difficult to handle, but considering it's student employees, there will be some of those. Great boss.