Oakton Community College

Oakton Community College Employee Reviews

Great team
Early Childhood Center Assistant (Current Employee), Skokie, ILMay 21, 2015
Cons: casual employee has a 500 hours a year cap
In a typical day, I do everything from prepare students' lunches, clean, set classroom up for nap time, and assist in the classroom. Time flies quickly while working with kids and a great team of teachers.
Fast paced one stop for student registration, academic advising, and financial aid
Advising & Counseling Center (Former Employee), Skokie, ILMay 19, 2015
Fasted pace work flow during registration periods, well balanced between work /life balance. Not much advancement for part time employees.
productive and educational place to work at
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILMay 4, 2015
its a work study and you get to learn new scientific techniques each day. It helps you grow into the profession you want to persue.
Easy job
Peer Tutor (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: open schedule
Cons: low pay
Working with students everyday with their math related problems. Mostly computer based courses. Also helped achieving a better satisfaction score for our department.
Interesting experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), Skokie, ILDecember 25, 2014
Pros: great facilities, fellow instructors.
Cons: relativly long prep hours.
As an instructor, my classroom activities are centered around providing my students with a interesting, yet challenging forum.

My management team is very open and helpful. Rarely does a question or problem – more... go without immediate attention.

Hardest part of the job is all the hours (unpaid) that goes into lesson plans, quizzes, tests, etc.

Most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my students. – less
Communication Professor - Des Plaines (Current Employee), Des Plaines, ILMay 2, 2014
Great place to work if you are FT faculty. If you are PT faculty though the students are great and so is the culture and staff but the pay is low.
Productive and I love training new student aides
Biology laboratory student aide (Current Employee), Des Plaines, ILMarch 29, 2014
Pros: close to my class
Cons: lacks health insurance for student aides
It is an excellent place to work at. The best part of the job is it is an ever learning experience. There is always new stuff to learn and room for improvement of your skills as a laboratory student aide.
Great work place
Student Employee Credentials (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILMarch 19, 2014
Nice to work with students. Great personal growth as a person and comunication.
Productive and fun place to work with.
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee), Skokie, ILFebruary 10, 2014
* Maintain student records in terms of progress and consistency.
* Use structural methods and materials appropriate for students success.
* Encouraged growth of study skills in written and oral communication.
best training experience
Faculty Sponsor (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILFebruary 1, 2014
Had the best experience of my life. training was phenomenal.
not a fun place
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Des Plaines, ILDecember 1, 2013
Not a fun place to work. You are always under pressure and the supervisor was an arrogant person.
Customer Service
Enrollment Center Specialist (Former Employee), Skokie, ILMay 19, 2013
• Assisted in providing a seamless transition for the prospective to new students.
• Produced follow-up reports regarding activities and future plans for departmental staff.
• Provide financial aid guidance – more... and intake support, scheduled advising & counseling appointments, and maintained the integrity of the student information system
• Assisted new students with the enrollment process including; general advising, placement testing, registration and orientation. – less
Free education.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2013
Pros: good benefits.
Cons: do not want to talk about it.
Oakton Community College employees over 1,000 employees. It is a lot of fun, especially when students are present on campus, they are a lot of fun to watch. My coworkers are a lot of fun too. Both students and workers are from different nationalities and I was able to learn a lot from them.
Good job for student
Information Technology Aide, Student Employee (Current Employee), Des Plaines, ILOctober 6, 2012
Pros: easy work, friendly students
Cons: capped hourly rate, no room for advancement
Typical day consists of sitting at a helpdesk and helping students with issues that may occur with both software and hardware. Many students seem to know what to do when a problem occurs and therefore – more... no help is rarely needed. Its one of the best jobs for a student but if you are trying to move up then I suggest working somewhere else. Your hourly rate is capped below $9 and will never go higher due to your status as a student employee. I also noticed a lot of older people (seniors) working student jobs here. I wish the college would crack down on that since I know some more serious students would benefit more from these jobs than these so-called students. All you need to qualify to work here is a non-credit class that only meets for one day. Some don't even show up to that class at all. Managers are alright here. Its the same at every other job. There are some that are really cool and others that seem to not like working there. Working here you learn and gain some good experience so I'm happy with the time I've had here and would recommend this job to any student. – less
productive and fun work place with fun co workers.
IT specialist (Former Employee), skokieJanuary 23, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
Good place to work with great management. Hours can be long sometimes and it can take a while to learn everything.

Oakton Community College Salaries