Oakwood Worldwide Employee Reviews

An old company trying to reinvent itself
National Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 7, 2016
Little direction but also little micromanagement. A good job if you can handle working in gray areas. Nothing is ever black and white. Can be high pressure at times. Company centralized and then decentralized recently.
Pros
Family style culture, many tenured associates, private company
Cons
Little to no 401k matching, benefits for dependents are expensive
Great company overall
Housekeeping/Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 3, 2016
I recommend this company to someone who needs experience in cleaning, great work environment. They provide on the job training.
Pros
Bonuses, employee recognition, excellent benefits
Fast pasted environment! Always something to do, and get done
Lead Guest Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CASeptember 21, 2016
I come in and find out if there have been any major issues from the night before. If so, i must ensure that that one of my guest service representatives are taking care of our guest. I have been with Oakwood for almost 2 years, and i have learned so many different roles in this company. There is room for improvement with the management, but they are still here to assist when needed. My co-workers are supportive, and helpful when needed. The hardest part of my job is dealing with some many different types of cultures and personalities. The most enjoyable part of my job is when my guest walks away with an amazing experience staying with Oakwood.
A great experience witha great company
Human Resources Generalist, East Coast Region (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 9, 2016
Working at Oakwood Worldwide was a great fit. I had a management team that allowed me to showcase my strong skill set and have a safe environment to address those skills that needed work. I was the HR Generalist for 2100 people across the east coast. I was given the opportunity to meet most of them with site visits which allowed me to personally share my HR philosophies which alleviated staff fears of the HR Department in general. When it was time to relocate with the military, the company asked me to stay on for another year working remotely until they found my replacement - an experience most companies do not offer.
Pros
Travel, fun environment, growth, gratifying
Difficult employer
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 6, 2016
I did not receive the full amount of training necessary for me to achieve all of my job responsibilities as well as I could have. My trainer had left for her honeymoon, but the other girl who took over training me for that week was still learning herself. I was on the docs team and enjoyed it very much. However, there was a lot of stress and miscommunication between the account coordinators and service team and management. My manager specifically was also very condescending and rude and did not give credit where credit was due.
Interact with guest, prepare vendor contracts, institute work orders for maintenance staff.
Guest Service Relations / Leasing consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, Ill and Falls Church, Va.June 15, 2016
1. Greet guests, prepare leases for new residents or move out paperwork for departing guests.
2. I learned how to deal effectively with the general public.
3. Our company was very intutive to its employees as well as all management staff.
4. Co-workers were team players and our focus was to create an excellent enviornment for our residents during their stay with us.
5. Hardest part of the job was probably preparing paper work for 150 move in guest.
6. Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of the guest.
Pros
Great people to work with, catered lunches etc.
Cons
sometimes dealing with difficult guests
It was okay, but they were partial
NATIONAL ACCOUNTANT LIAISON (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2016
It is Monday-Friday, the pay was great, I don't spend much time on the phones which is nice. Really a sense of family atmosphere. Lots of fundraisers and the spirit team is awesome.
Pros
short lunch
Cons
the benefits are expensive
Dysfunctional Family
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousSeptember 30, 2015
I was sold on a company culture of "family" and "fun". This is not the case. There is a significant lack of clarity around organizational structure, roles and strategy. The organization as a whole is very change adverse which results in stagnant operations. If this company is to grow it must innovate and streamline. Otherwise, it will coast along unto the inevitable.
Pros
Compensation, Somewhat flexible work schedules
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities, role ambiguity, disorganization
Stable place to work
Apartment Make Ready Specialist / Driver (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJanuary 4, 2017
A really good place to work if you are looking for a stable income. You get compensated for your work but i feel like you are limited inside the company
Love working there
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 14, 2016
Great company that gives you the flexibility to advance in a very fast paced talent mobility environment. I would recommend this company to other potential employees.
Fun Job
Community liaison Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2016
It was a fun daily routine working at Oakwood World Wide. I improved my personal skills with Crisis Intervention. The co-workers were great. There was nothing hard about the job. The residents of the community was the best part of the job.
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
Seasonal stress and holiday lulls
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 1, 2014
A typical day from the start of spring to the end of summer is constant phone calls, emails, multi-tasking. Corporate housing has many moving pieces so if you are not on your game you have much to be accountable for. I have worked with pretty much the same group of people for years so I think that says something about the companies ability to retain workers that are dedicated to the job. Management change and peak season stress is the most difficult part of this job. The most enjoyable is getting to connect with people coming to Seattle and really letting them know why this area is such a great place to move to.
Pros
fair compensation, education and training is good, and interesting field of work
Cons
stressful, fast past, demanding, little flexability
National Account Coordinator
National Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2016
Ability to manage the number two relocation account that utilizes corporate housing for clients needing to relocate employee's and their families.
Misleading job description. Apartment Make Ready Specialist is a JANITORIAL job!
Apartment Make Ready Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marina Del Rey, CA.August 25, 2012
I answered Oakwoods ad for Huntington Beach. When I interviewed in Huntington Beach I was told the ad was a "mistake". The position that was available was in Marina Del Rey. I was hired and quickly learned it is where they do all their training (no mileage due me). They manipulated my days off so that I worked 7 straight days in two pay periods (no overtime). The job includes more hours of exhausting detailed cleaning, scouring filthy ovens, washing windows inside and out three stories high etc. then you can accomplish. This job is 90% a HARD janitorial job! The easy resetting is 10% of the work. Very misleading ad and verbal description by management!!! Lunch is spent in a baking hot warehouse.They won't let you eat in one of the air conditioned apartments. I was assigned four apartments a day my last two days then quit when I learned how much my benefits were going to cost.
Pros
hard working amazing employees but they speak little english.
Cons
i worked so hard and perspired so profusely i lost 12 pounds in 12 days!
Lets build a house
SHIPPING/RECEIVING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, TXSeptember 1, 2012
A typical day consisted of opening the gates for the house toter's drivers to come in and start hauling the houses out, and check in incoming materials, yearly inventory. What I learned is there is a lot that goes into building a house. The management were always around to help if needed, but were very busy coordinating all the different house building departments. The hardest part of the job was the weather. The most enjoyable part of the job, meeting people of all fields.
Pros
benefits, good pay
Cons
you may not ever know how long the manufacturer will remain open
servicing the nightmare
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 22, 2015
Not a great place to work...very stressful... long hours without any support...major changes need to happen in this company... low moral...no flexibility...no breaks(state requirements) and if you take lunch at your desk you are expected to answer phones...benefits are the worst (way to big of a company for them to have horrible insurance).
Pros
pay
Cons
no breaks, benefits, no perks
Not to be confused with Oakwood Village retirement community.
Health care (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJune 24, 2012
This company is not to be confused with Oakwood Village retirement community. Oakwood Village retirement in Madison had a great reputation at one time but current management has caused reputation to decline. Other establishments offer more to residents and staff. This company is not supportive of staff and turnover rate is high.
Pros
good benefits.
Cons
not supportive of employees.
Great people up until you get to the supervisors
Sales (Current Employee) –  USDecember 26, 2013
The teamwork here is incredible. I absolutely adore the people I work with. Management is only concerned with the bottom line and pleasing senior management. Half of the supervisors in customer fulfillment do not know how to do the jobs of the people under them.
Pros
Okay compensation, great people, little micromanaging
Cons
No bonus, management is terrible, becoming more micromanaged than before
Productive and fun place with families
Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 12, 2016
A typical day consist of instructing different events for parents and children.Supervising and interacting with children ages 3-13 during activities and serving and prepared meals for big events. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people.
Worst place to work ever
Utility worker (Former Employee) –  AlexandriaJanuary 17, 2013
Some of the employees insulted each other constantly, and for the new people starting work there, we were forced to take sides. The managers were afraid of the employees and do not take your compaints or concerns very seriously. The job was not hard but you are forced to carry the load of senior employees while they sit in the breakroom on there phones texting. What i did like about the job was the benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oakwood Worldwide. Our community is ready to answer.