OBERLIN COLLEGE Employee Reviews

I enjoy my boss and co-workers.
Line Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHMay 31, 2017
It is an interesting work environment since you are meeting students from all over the world. My co-workers and boss are all very nice and makes for a good work environment. My pay has increased over the years and the 20 hr. work week fit in with our family life.
Pros
Free meal.
Cons
Sometimes management doesn't listen to our suggestions.
Had a new family everywhere I go
KOREO Hip Hop Co-director (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHMay 3, 2017
Working with a staff that really cares about the students and students who are also striving for success was a great experience. It is never a dull day when you got wonderful people around you
Fun first job out of college
Assistant Director of Intramurals & Track Coach (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHApril 25, 2017
Nice student workers
Enjoyed coaching track and field
Great culture for learning
Enjoyed planning intramural programming and competitions
Boss was not prgessional
Pros
College environment
Cons
boss
Great for Student Workers
Stacks Worker (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHApril 12, 2017
In terms of student employment positions through the college, Oberlin offers some of the best options available. The main downside is managerial positions are almost never students, however there are still a plethora of job types and opportunities available, from the library, to the call center, to the cafeteria. Sometimes you can also get hired by specific professors as lab and research assistants.
On site Engineer
Customer Data Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  148 West College StFebruary 4, 2017
Oberlin College like many other Colleges or Businesses are going thru change. The next year 2017 and into 2018 will impact faculty and students gearing more towards a networking place of work. In short more will be done thru technology and contracting of work.
Pros
Office space on site
Wonderful place to grow and explore
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHJanuary 5, 2017
While I was a student at Oberlin College, I was allowed and encourage to learn, to pick up whatever new skill I wanted to needed, and mentored thoughtfully. I think the faculty truly care about the success of their students. My education was exceptional; I was incredibly well-prepared for graduate school.
Pros
everything
Cons
lack of diversity
Fun work place, interactive with children
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHNovember 29, 2016
I love working as a swim instructor. I often teach 6-8 children at a time and I have taught children at many different swimming levels. Although some days teaching swim lessons are difficult, I find it to be enjoyable because everyday I know that I have taught someone a new skill about swimming or water safety, that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.
Pros
Working with kids, decent pay
Head Women's Lacrosse Coach (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 29, 2016
Tons of freedom, no micromanagement, great benefits, cool college town, job security, great place to work!
Great workplace with excellent people
Budget Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHJuly 13, 2016
Great workplace with excellent people. I learned much about how to evaluate a budget and to work with others in an economic environment.
My first customer service opportunity
Student Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OhioMay 20, 2015
Here I was a student fundraising assistant responsible for soliciting donations for the school I was attending at the time, Oberlin College. I was a fast learner in a rather quiet environment. Once we were put on the spot when the school's administrative leaders monitored our performance. This was a great experience for me.
Pros
The jobs training team made it very easy for me to transition to a customer service representative.
Diverse Enviroment with tons of opportunity to grow
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHMarch 6, 2015
Each day was different. I worked with many diverse clients on and off campus. I worked with almost every department on campus and was able to build strong, long lasting relationships.

The hardest thing about the job was basically working two jobs for the price and in the hours of one. I was the first person in the newly created job and there was a lot of growing pains.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of the schedule and the ability to revamp two departments. I learned a lot on the job.
Pros
Flexible Schedule and Benefits
Cons
Best Job ever, but looking for more
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHFebruary 20, 2015
I have reached the pinnacle of my growth at Oberlin College. Because I work in a union shop (UAW) my growth is limited and I would prefer to parlay my experience into a job which would challenge me and allow me to move forward in my career.
My benefits are outstanding, but my wife is an aspiring teacher who currently works in a charter school in a struggling district. Because of the state of Oregon's commitment to funding all day kindergarten, there will be many jobs in the near future for early childhood education teachers.
I feel I am highly qualified to move into management and use my on the job experience to contribute to a food service operation.
Pros
benefits, steady work schedule
Cons
lack of growth potential
Great place
Office of the Student Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHOctober 22, 2014
I ran the OST and hired my own staff. Reviewed student expenditures and helped to authorize chartered budgets.
Departmental Secretary Biology (Current Employee) –  Wellington, OHSeptember 23, 2014
Benefits and work associates are fabulous. Have worked here 21 years. Am in a union and have job security
Fun place to work
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHAugust 12, 2014
Boss made it easy to learn so that I could get things done while he was on vacation.
Pros
Housing provided
Cons
low pay
Enjoyable environment with little room for professional growth
Major Gifts Officer (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHJune 11, 2014
The people, culture and processes are all fine. The opportunity to grow from within can be difficult unless someone retires or leaves for another institution.
Interesting people to work with
Administrative Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHMarch 19, 2014
The College has been a unique place to work in that I have met such a large diversity of people from all walks of life and many different countries.

It has been an education in and of itself.
Pros
5 free meals/week, meet interesting people
Cons
Oppressive work atmosphere, difficult boss
Seems like a good site just waiting for a chance to prove myself to these employers
Awake N' Bake Custom Candy Cookie Concierge (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHOctober 30, 2013
Bake and deliver cookies around Oberlin city and Oberlin college
Fun workplace with the college students
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHJune 27, 2013
I worked serving the college students meals. I worked either on the sandwiches or salads or sometimes I worked the smoothie stand. I enjoyed making smoothies and learning all kinds of different sandwiches.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Great place to grow and learn - long hours but workplace flexibility
Project Researcher/Public Programs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHApril 30, 2013
Oberlin requires a living to work perspective.

Oberlin also provides lots and lots of free resources and benefits.