Oberweis Dairy Employee Reviews

Fun, enjoyable to an extent, low pay
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Glenview, ILFebruary 10, 2017
If you have a good manager, shifts will go smoothly. The staff are very friendly. The only bad experience about the job is the low pay, even for shift leaders, starting at $9.25 (+.50 for each promotion) for basically doing things a manager would do, including managing people and running the store. The discount is pretty good and being able to use it for your family and friends is really nice. Another downside is not being able to have much free time, though the schedule does have flexibility. The last con is closing at 10 Sunday - Thursday and 11 Friday and Saturday. Most of the staff that they hire are 16 or in high school, which means getting out an hour later from the time the store closes due to needing to clean up the store for the next day. Holidays are almost nonexistent except big ones such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Pros
Great coworkers, discount, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, no holidays off, closing
Great Flexibility
Manager (Current Employee) –  MidwestFebruary 7, 2017
The Job offers great flexibility but you must produce results immediately without question. Tough Job to work during the winter months. Great Spring to Fall Job.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, decent compensation
Great summer internship
Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILFebruary 1, 2017
- Great summer internship learning basic necessities of business
- Great products to stand behind
- Good atmosphere with cordial and respectful fellow employees
I enjoyed eating the ice cream. On a serious note, enjoyed the folks I worked with.
Key Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJanuary 31, 2017
Oberweis Dairy gave me my starting point for learning on how to better communicate with customers and employees. I started as a temporary worker and moved into permanent full time.
No employee value.
Home Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  N.AJanuary 27, 2017
This job claims to value it's employee's,and to some extent yes they do, but for the most part nothing that is said by management is done and if so it is constantly delayed. Employees keep getting pay cuts, changes that benefit everyone but employees, and upper management is willing to let go of good drivers that have spent a large portion of their life's in oberweis just for the simple fact that they want to make changes. Another review stated that there is no job safety, well there isnt. Drivers start off as "jumpers" who cover routes for others who take off, which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't send you out of town for weeks at a time over and over and over and over and over and over again, you cannot reach max efficiency or safety when the company throws you around from state to state with routes they have no experiences on. Drivers are always complaining and struggling. The pay is okay but alot of the times you'll ask yourself if it's even worth the work and effort you put in the job when you aren't valued or given efficient routes. Also they can pack up to 160 stops a day or night, which you'll have to finish fast so that the next shift driver that needs the vehicle can do their route. 160 stops in one shift and if you get a red light or some sort of ticket trying to finish that impossible route, then they'll easily let go of you, it has happened to other drivers.
Pros
Discount on product
Cons
No set schedule, not a secure job, constantly changes things drastically every year.
fun work enviornmant
Scooper/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale Heights, ILJanuary 5, 2017
great staff and company amazing management as well as customers no problem with training new employees and making sure they knew all that they needed too
great experience
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Western Springs, ILDecember 29, 2016
the management could use some work but overall this is a great company to work for. the employees are great, the product quality is good, and the customers are great
Enjoyable
Crew Member, shift manager (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, MOAugust 23, 2016
I've worked there for many years and always enjoyed the job since it's pretty simple. Didn't super enjoy working with a bunch of high schoolers that took their jobs for granted, but made some decent friends in the work place and were able to work well together.
Pros
free ice cream, flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks, low pay, hard to advance
Too much work for too little pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 6, 2016
If you have a good manager it should keep you sane. You don't get any family time, super strict rules when you can take time off. The district managers can take off whenever but store managers cannot. We work way too much with not enough compensation
Pros
discount
Cons
pay, free time, upper management
Horrible environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJune 13, 2016
I worked on the burger side they promise to cross train you to the ice cream you know when they cross train when it's busiest. It's awful managers are rude and have a lack of respect. All the boys made me do the cleaning while they would just horseplay. And the pay I was 16 they paid me 7.75 which is illegal. I'm sorry but I hate this company so much I refuse to go in and buy anything
Pros
50% off everything
Cons
7.75 hour pay, lack of management, no cross training
Good Job overall
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILMay 20, 2016
Great Place to work, enjoyed the interactions with new customer prospects and meeting new people. Drove a company issued vehicle and sold home delivery service.
Good company to work for, family owned
Marketing/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 2, 2016
As a sales and marketing rep, you have a lot of freedom in your job, and are entitled to great employee discounts. You must be a motivated self starter to succeed as a sales and marketing associate.
Pros
freedom, benefits
Cons
none, really
Fun workplace but also serious
Cashier, Scooper, and Server (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILApril 28, 2016
Working at oberweis was a blast. I learned how to manage my time in the workplace, by doing more than one thing at once. Summers were always busy so making sure everything is clean, prepared, stocked, and making sure the costumes comes first.
Do not work here.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILApril 24, 2016
I worked here for a few years. First off the insurance was so expensive. I was paying close to $900 a month for a family of four. I would've been better off having Obama care. Secondly they treat the sales reps like rubbish. They expect you to hit these unrealistic goals, third they fired the sales manager because he had a high turnover rate. That tells you about the company. When you're a driver you are expected to do so much, and your only paid a very small percentage. You're paid based of the route sales (10%). It drops to like 7% if any of your customers sign up via direct mail, or sales man. The management is not competent, nor is customer service. If a customer misses a delivery whom lives in West Bend and the next day you're in Kenosha. They expect you to drive all the way up there for one delivery. Keep in mind you are not paid by the hour either. The product is overpriced, and the quality is not all that there. A customer will pay eight dollars for a four dollar case of water. Management doesn't care about you as a person, you are just a drone to them. Also if you are a home delivery driver you can expect to do some of while sales route (they're paid by the hour and they know how to milk the clock). Stay away from this place, unless you have no life, and you desire to be treated like you don't matter. Oh yeah when you're a jumper you go to all of the surrounds states in your own car to cover a route when someone takes vacation.
Pros
Cons
Healthcare is expensive, management, and customer service are idiots. They expect you to drive everywhere in your own car.
Great place to work and gain experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILMarch 11, 2016
friendly and helpful employees.. fun work environment

a typical day at work involved many interesting customer service interactions.. where i would help people decide what ice cream flavors were yummy
This place is a mess
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 6, 2016
Management and the different departments can't seem to work together and get things straightened out. Home delivery service is a c- at best, loads of orders missing items, menus, and just poor service. Sales manager doesn't fully explain the pay structure in the hopes to hide some of the negative aspects of the job. Benefits are decent, and 50% off products is nice. Most employees on lower levels were all great to work woth.
Pros
50% discount, time freedom
Cons
Pay! Pay! Pay!
great working realtionship with co-workers
Cashier/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2015
A typical day of work consisted with the store maintenance, restocking of the ice creams in both the freezer areas and serving areas. It also involved working at the cash register and keeping a friendly relationship with incoming customers.
I improved my public speaking and customer relationships while working at Oberweis Dairy.
My co-workers were extremely friendly and dependable when necessary.
The most difficult part of my job was going into the store's freezer area to restock the shelves with ice cream due to the fact that one would remain there for long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of working at Oberweis Dairy was lighting up people's face when their ice cream was brought to them. Seeing them happy made me happy.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Short Breaks
Would give it 0 stars if that were possible
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 5, 2015
I have never worked for a worse company! And I have worked for 10 employers since I was 15 (I'm 41 now). I was just looking for a nice, easy, part-time position for a little while. I wasn't looking to make a career out of it. I just quit last week. Your typical day is managing a bunch of teenagers who didn't want to do their jobs and who could blame them...the pay sucks (less than minimum wage), and the hours are long. We were open until 10p and 11p,but did not get out of there until maybe 11:30p or 12:30p respectively, because of arbitrary rules. And given the fact that most of the crew is teenagers in high school, that have to be up the next day??? The 10 minute stragglers rule, where we have to remain open for an extra 10 minutes in case people want to come after closing. People dining in can stay up to 30 minutes after we close. It is a service job and yet we aren't allowed to take tips (you literally carry trays of food to tables). Along with preparing and serving the food, we were also responsible for cleaning the store. So a typical day you could go from cleaning the bathrooms, to moving and cleaning behind heavy equipment that could have rat feces all over it, to preparing and serving food (same clothes, just wash your hands)...which is weird because they actually pay cleaning companies to come in after hours to "clean", and they basically just mop the visible surfaces of the floor, while the $9/hr crew does all the heavy lifting. Management is baffling. And the C-suite is definitely disconnected. As someone with a degree in business management I am amazed that  more... the company functions at all. So much more i could say...Towards the end I literally could not stand going into the store. I wouldn't even suggest this as a job for my teenage son. Not only did they lose an employee, but they also lost a customer. I lost all respect for the company!  less
Pros
Cons
pay, hours, culture, management, too numerous to name
Great Company
Store Manager/Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  ILSeptember 29, 2015
They care about you. They care about your family. Their pay could be better. They are a growing company. The corporate offices care about the growth of people.
Fast paced and fun work environment
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Highland, INSeptember 14, 2015
manage productivity and labor on a daily basis
count inventory weekly
stock products throughout the shift
enjoyable work environment and pleasant staff.
check in large delivery orders and determine any discrepancies
hardest part of the job: determining how to handle customer service issues
most enjoyable part of the job: working with the public and meeting pleasant customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oberweis Dairy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8