Oberweis Dairy Employee Reviews in United States

This place is a mess
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 6, 2016
Management and the different departments can't seem to work together and get things straightened out. Home delivery service is a c- at best, loads of orders missing items, menus, and just poor service. Sales manager doesn't fully explain the pay structure in the hopes to hide some of the negative aspects of the job. Benefits are decent, and 50% off products is nice. Most employees on lower levels were all great to work woth.
Pros
50% discount, time freedom
Cons
Pay! Pay! Pay!
Poor management and deceptive pay structure.
Home Delivery Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJuly 24, 2015
The management for sales has minimal door to door experience. They want 10 sales per week minimum from staff. Although the product is good, it is overpriced. If the 10 per week goal is not met, they will pull the guaranteed per week pay and leave you on a commission only pay structure as an "incentive". They also expect you to work 6 days per week. If you work events, all costs come out of the sales person's pocket. The company will not reimburse you for those expenses or for mileage. It is very win for the company, but not so much for the sales rep.
Pros
50% discount on Oberweis products.
Cons
Deceptive pay, Poor management, Long hours, No compensation for expenses, Unrealistic goals set by management with no experience going door to door.
Horrible environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILJune 13, 2016
I worked on the burger side they promise to cross train you to the ice cream you know when they cross train when it's busiest. It's awful managers are rude and have a lack of respect. All the boys made me do the cleaning while they would just horseplay. And the pay I was 16 they paid me 7.75 which is illegal. I'm sorry but I hate this company so much I refuse to go in and buy anything
Pros
50% off everything
Cons
7.75 hour pay, lack of management, no cross training
Too much work for too little pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 6, 2016
If you have a good manager it should keep you sane. You don't get any family time, super strict rules when you can take time off. The district managers can take off whenever but store managers cannot. We work way too much with not enough compensation
Pros
discount
Cons
pay, free time, upper management
Good company to work for, family owned
Marketing/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 2, 2016
As a sales and marketing rep, you have a lot of freedom in your job, and are entitled to great employee discounts. You must be a motivated self starter to succeed as a sales and marketing associate.
Pros
freedom, benefits
Cons
none, really
Fun workplace but also serious
Cashier, Scooper, and Server (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILApril 28, 2016
Working at oberweis was a blast. I learned how to manage my time in the workplace, by doing more than one thing at once. Summers were always busy so making sure everything is clean, prepared, stocked, and making sure the costumes comes first.
great working realtionship with co-workers
Cashier/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2015
A typical day of work consisted with the store maintenance, restocking of the ice creams in both the freezer areas and serving areas. It also involved working at the cash register and keeping a friendly relationship with incoming customers.
I improved my public speaking and customer relationships while working at Oberweis Dairy.
My co-workers were extremely friendly and dependable when necessary.
The most difficult part of my job was going into the store's freezer area to restock the shelves with ice cream due to the fact that one would remain there for long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of working at Oberweis Dairy was lighting up people's face when their ice cream was brought to them. Seeing them happy made me happy.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Short Breaks
Great place to work and gain experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILMarch 11, 2016
friendly and helpful employees.. fun work environment

a typical day at work involved many interesting customer service interactions.. where i would help people decide what ice cream flavors were yummy
Do not work here.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILApril 24, 2016
I worked here for a few years. First off the insurance was so expensive. I was paying close to $900 a month for a family of four. I would've been better off having Obama care. Secondly they treat the sales reps like rubbish. They expect you to hit these unrealistic goals, third they fired the sales manager because he had a high turnover rate. That tells you about the company. When you're a driver you are expected to do so much, and your only paid a very small percentage. You're paid based of the route sales (10%). It drops to like 7% if any of your customers sign up via direct mail, or sales man. The management is not competent, nor is customer service. If a customer misses a delivery whom lives in West Bend and the next day you're in Kenosha. They expect you to drive all the way up there for one delivery. Keep in mind you are not paid by the hour either. The product is overpriced, and the quality is not all that there. A customer will pay eight dollars for a four dollar case of water. Management doesn't care about you as a person, you are just a drone to them. Also if you are a home delivery driver you can expect to do some of while sales route (they're paid by the hour and they know how to milk the clock). Stay away from this place, unless you have no life, and you desire to be treated like you don't matter. Oh yeah when you're a jumper you go to all of the surrounds states in your own car to cover a route when someone takes vacation.
Pros
Cons
Healthcare is expensive, management, and customer service are idiots. They expect you to drive everywhere in your own car.
Good place to work.
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOSeptember 26, 2014
It was a great place to work with nice people and good hours and good pay and great benefits. There was room for advancement and plenty of different things to do, it was kind of like a fast food place with out all the stinky fried food. It is an old time Ice Cream Parlor with anything that had to do with dairy for sale in the restaurant. I liked it so much I am a little disappointed that it is only located in a small area because the plant is in Illinois.
Pros
benefits, people, enviorment, hours

Want to know more about Oberweis Dairy?

Ask a question
Great job for under 21
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 7, 2013
Contrary to their beliefs there is no room for growth with in the company, the hours routinely change from almost full time to almost nothing. The pay scale is based off the owners brain child idea to pay according to the sales of the store on an average of the week. There are no benefits offered unless your a salary manager. There is no consistency between stores or what is required of you from each upper level manager.
Pros
50% off if shift leader or 25% of at crew memeber. one free treat per shift
Cons
pay, hours, management
No work/life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 25, 2015
In a typical day you do it all from ringing to making orders to dishes to scheduling to putting away trucks to inventory to ordering to new hire paper work to .... Other managers are great! We are like a family. Upper management is out of touch. PRP system is great if you are in a busy store, if not it is terrible. The hardest part of the job is the fact that the district is painfully short on managers so some store managers are working 60-70 hours a week, working double shifts or split shifts. No time for family and upper management does not care.
Pros
50 % discount on all products
Cons
No time for a personal life and mnagement truly does not care
Would give it 0 stars if that were possible
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 5, 2015
I have never worked for a worse company! And I have worked for 10 employers since I was 15 (I'm 41 now). I was just looking for a nice, easy, part-time position for a little while. I wasn't looking to make a career out of it. I just quit last week. Your typical day is managing a bunch of teenagers who didn't want to do their jobs and who could blame them...the pay sucks (less than minimum wage), and the hours are long. We were open until 10p and 11p,but did not get out of there until maybe 11:30p or 12:30p respectively, because of arbitrary rules. And given the fact that most of the crew is teenagers in high school, that have to be up the next day??? The 10 minute stragglers rule, where we have to remain open for an extra 10 minutes in case people want to come after closing. People dining in can stay up to 30 minutes after we close. It is a service job and yet we aren't allowed to take tips (you literally carry trays of food to tables). Along with preparing and serving the food, we were also responsible for cleaning the store. So a typical day you could go from cleaning the bathrooms, to moving and cleaning behind heavy equipment that could have rat feces all over it, to preparing and serving food (same clothes, just wash your hands)...which is weird because they actually pay cleaning companies to come in after hours to "clean", and they basically just mop the visible surfaces of the floor, while the $9/hr crew does all the heavy lifting. Management is baffling. And the C-suite is definitely disconnected. As someone with a degree in business management I am amazed that  more... the company functions at all. So much more i could say...Towards the end I literally could not stand going into the store. I wouldn't even suggest this as a job for my teenage son. Not only did they lose an employee, but they also lost a customer. I lost all respect for the company!  less
Pros
Cons
pay, hours, culture, management, too numerous to name
Nice place to work if you never want to see your family
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 23, 2012
Nice pay good benefits and a strong belief in their product and services. to much micro management from district managers meaning no free will at store level to run your store.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
work mostly nights. many out of store tasks that are expected to be done on own time
Fast paced and fun work environment
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Highland, INSeptember 14, 2015
manage productivity and labor on a daily basis
count inventory weekly
stock products throughout the shift
enjoyable work environment and pleasant staff.
check in large delivery orders and determine any discrepancies
hardest part of the job: determining how to handle customer service issues
most enjoyable part of the job: working with the public and meeting pleasant customers
Good company to work for.
Intra Company/Wholesale Driver (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILApril 9, 2013
Residential delivery person created directions and sold product to increase sales area. Moved to Intra company driver where I delivered the product the stores ordered.
Pros
good benefits package and hourly rate
growing company
Crew Member Trainer (Current Employee) –  Calumet City, ILAugust 11, 2015
Oberweis is a good place to gain entry level experience in the food service industry. Management provides flexible schedules. I learned to fill orders in a time efficient and accurate manner. I enjoy working with the personable staff.
Great Company
Store Manager/Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  ILSeptember 29, 2015
They care about you. They care about your family. Their pay could be better. They are a growing company. The corporate offices care about the growth of people.
fun atmosphere and great management, felt more like family then coworkers.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 9, 2015
Working at Oberweis is so much more then scooping ice cream. It's creating small frozen treats that literally look so good it makes you want to eat them. The entire staff there while I was employed was like one big family and that really made coming to work so much more enjoyable.
Pros
Lots of room for growth within company
Aggravating place to work at
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILMarch 20, 2015
Typically the customers you deal with are entitled and rude. Upper management doesn't understand how busy the store can get. They require silly things from the employees that just aggravate customers and lower the quality of the service.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everyhing

2.7