Oberweis Dairy Employee Reviews

great working realtionship with co-workers
Cashier/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2015
A typical day of work consisted with the store maintenance, restocking of the ice creams in both the freezer areas and serving areas. It also involved working at the cash register and keeping a friendly relationship with incoming customers.
I improved my public speaking and customer relationships while working at Oberweis Dairy.
My co-workers were extremely friendly and dependable when necessary.
The most difficult part of my job was going into the store's freezer area to restock the shelves with ice cream due to the fact that one would remain there for long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of working at Oberweis Dairy was lighting up people's face when their ice cream was brought to them. Seeing them happy made me happy.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Short Breaks
Would give it 0 stars if that were possible
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 5, 2015
I have never worked for a worse company! And I have worked for 10 employers since I was 15 (I'm 41 now). I was just looking for a nice, easy, part-time position for a little while. I wasn't looking to make a career out of it. I just quit last week. Your typical day is managing a bunch of teenagers who didn't want to do their jobs and who could blame them...the pay sucks (less than minimum wage), and the hours are long. We were open until 10p and 11p,but did not get out of there until maybe 11:30p or 12:30p respectively, because of arbitrary rules. And given the fact that most of the crew is teenagers in high school, that have to be up the next day??? The 10 minute stragglers rule, where we have to remain open for an extra 10 minutes in case people want to come after closing. People dining in can stay up to 30 minutes after we close. It is a service job and yet we aren't allowed to take tips (you literally carry trays of food to tables). Along with preparing and serving the food, we were also responsible for cleaning the store. So a typical day you could go from cleaning the bathrooms, to moving and cleaning behind heavy equipment that could have rat feces all over it, to preparing and serving food (same clothes, just wash your hands)...which is weird because they actually pay cleaning companies to come in after hours to "clean", and they basically just mop the visible surfaces of the floor, while the $9/hr crew does all the heavy lifting. Management is baffling. And the C-suite is definitely disconnected. As someone with a degree in business management I am amazed that  more... the company functions at all. So much more i could say...Towards the end I literally could not stand going into the store. I wouldn't even suggest this as a job for my teenage son. Not only did they lose an employee, but they also lost a customer. I lost all respect for the company!  less
Pros
Cons
pay, hours, culture, management, too numerous to name
Great Company
Store Manager/Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  ILSeptember 29, 2015
They care about you. They care about your family. Their pay could be better. They are a growing company. The corporate offices care about the growth of people.
Fast paced and fun work environment
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Highland, INSeptember 14, 2015
manage productivity and labor on a daily basis
count inventory weekly
stock products throughout the shift
enjoyable work environment and pleasant staff.
check in large delivery orders and determine any discrepancies
hardest part of the job: determining how to handle customer service issues
most enjoyable part of the job: working with the public and meeting pleasant customers
growing company
Crew Member Trainer (Current Employee) –  Calumet City, ILAugust 11, 2015
Oberweis is a good place to gain entry level experience in the food service industry. Management provides flexible schedules. I learned to fill orders in a time efficient and accurate manner. I enjoy working with the personable staff.
No work/life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 25, 2015
In a typical day you do it all from ringing to making orders to dishes to scheduling to putting away trucks to inventory to ordering to new hire paper work to .... Other managers are great! We are like a family. Upper management is out of touch. PRP system is great if you are in a busy store, if not it is terrible. The hardest part of the job is the fact that the district is painfully short on managers so some store managers are working 60-70 hours a week, working double shifts or split shifts. No time for family and upper management does not care.
Pros
50 % discount on all products
Cons
No time for a personal life and mnagement truly does not care
Poor management and deceptive pay structure.
Home Delivery Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJuly 24, 2015
The management for sales has minimal door to door experience. They want 10 sales per week minimum from staff. Although the product is good, it is overpriced. If the 10 per week goal is not met, they will pull the guaranteed per week pay and leave you on a commission only pay structure as an "incentive". They also expect you to work 6 days per week. If you work events, all costs come out of the sales person's pocket. The company will not reimburse you for those expenses or for mileage. It is very win for the company, but not so much for the sales rep.
Pros
50% discount on Oberweis products.
Cons
Deceptive pay, Poor management, Long hours, No compensation for expenses, Unrealistic goals set by management with no experience going door to door.
fun atmosphere and great management, felt more like family then coworkers.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 9, 2015
Working at Oberweis is so much more then scooping ice cream. It's creating small frozen treats that literally look so good it makes you want to eat them. The entire staff there while I was employed was like one big family and that really made coming to work so much more enjoyable.
Pros
Lots of room for growth within company
Aggravating place to work at
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILMarch 20, 2015
Typically the customers you deal with are entitled and rude. Upper management doesn't understand how busy the store can get. They require silly things from the employees that just aggravate customers and lower the quality of the service.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everyhing
Fun, Friendly, Great Customers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILMarch 2, 2015
Opening, Closing,Trainning, Hiring. The hardest part of yhe job was working the 70 hrs a week. The most enjoyable was the customers.
Pros
half off on the products
Cons
work hours
Fast Paced
Shift Lead/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILJanuary 24, 2015
Good people to work with
People are nice
Everyone is kindhearted
Fun place to work with a great team
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILJanuary 13, 2015
It's a great company to work for there is a real sense of family within the company. People at work genuinely care for one another.
Pros
great management team
Cons
no breaks, hard to balance family life
Stressful and the pay is not worth it.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 20, 2014
As a shift leader i was in charge of the shift and at the end of the day i counted down all drawers and did end of day paperwork. The job was not the hardest but for the amount of work you do should definetly get paid more then $8.50 an hour.
Good place to work.
Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOSeptember 26, 2014
It was a great place to work with nice people and good hours and good pay and great benefits. There was room for advancement and plenty of different things to do, it was kind of like a fast food place with out all the stinky fried food. It is an old time Ice Cream Parlor with anything that had to do with dairy for sale in the restaurant. I liked it so much I am a little disappointed that it is only located in a small area because the plant is in Illinois.
Pros
benefits, people, enviorment, hours
Not good
Sales (Former Employee) –  Shaumburg,N.AuroraOctober 24, 2013
Ponsy Scheme!......Very bad!!!
No base pay.
Door to door with no I.D. in some cases.
Cons
you use all your own resources;phone, car etc.

Comment – January 5, 2014

SCAM! Management of sales people is a scam artist. Hiring people with no base pay should be illegal.

ok
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILJune 10, 2013
It really depended on what DM you had, and that determined your life and work balance. This company is not out of the box thinkers.
Pros
great product and customers
Cons
horrible dm, and lack of vision
Good company to work for.
Intra Company/Wholesale Driver (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILApril 9, 2013
Residential delivery person created directions and sold product to increase sales area. Moved to Intra company driver where I delivered the product the stores ordered.
Pros
good benefits package and hourly rate
No security in job
Route Sales, Driver, Routing Engineer (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJanuary 21, 2013
Oberweis Dairy makes snap decisions and will find ways to let go of employees despite their work ethic. After 13 years and only missing three days od work for that time, they decided to let me go without any word. They truly DO NOT care about their employees!!!
Pros
good sales numbers
Cons
uncaring company, no job security, change in pay with little notice!!
Great job for under 21
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 7, 2013
Contrary to their beliefs there is no room for growth with in the company, the hours routinely change from almost full time to almost nothing. The pay scale is based off the owners brain child idea to pay according to the sales of the store on an average of the week. There are no benefits offered unless your a salary manager. There is no consistency between stores or what is required of you from each upper level manager.
Pros
50% off if shift leader or 25% of at crew memeber. one free treat per shift
Cons
pay, hours, management
Great work experience
Cashier, Dishwasher and Dining room assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincolnwood, IlNovember 26, 2012
I loved this job, I would love to work for this company again.