Occidental College Employee Reviews

Very calm and cool environment
Bookstore Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2016
assistant in book store. Helped shelve books and store products. greeted incoming customers. Checked customers bags for any stolen items. Co workers were very helpful.
Good paced job!
Reserve Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eagle Rock, CANovember 11, 2016
This position was part of my work-study. The managers are very understanding of class schedules.

I gained a lot of skills in data management, communication, and research.
It Was my school
Community Health Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2016
Developed the curriculum for ESL workshops for day laborers. Created a student organization to carry out this program. Helped facilitate the workshops. Developed an outreach and orientation plan for the student organization.
Pros
Research experince
Cons
Don't hire you for more than a semester
Excellent
Director Peer MentorAdjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 30, 2016
I loved working at Occidental College. The students, staff and facility are very professional, hard working individuals who are very talented.
I helped the students learn about themselves through a variety of services like events, workshops, counseling sessions, leadership retreats, discussions, seminars, retreats and mentoring. It is a fantastic school and students received a phenomenal education.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Independent College- Independent Dining Services Operation
Kitchen Assistant-Casual (Former Employee) –  Campus DiningMarch 28, 2016
The operation is not contractual in Dining Services/Catering. They like to say "Oxy's Own" as they are independently run. A majority of the staff are Union with benefits, but the remainder are casual with no benefits and no guaranteed schedule. Upper Management is a bit pragmatic to ideas from staff, with exceptions to some that are liked and respected (regardless of if those staff are respectful of others) The student atmosphere is friendly, the food served is wholesome, but somewhat repetitious.
Very respectable and productive workplace
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 9, 2016
This is a great place to work. Work culture is very strong yet casual. Students are respectful and cordial. This is an academic environment and the teacher student relation is at its best..
Positive work environment
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2016
Close-knit group within each departments and within the campus community as a whole. People are approachable and the small campus allows for the ability to work closely with numerous people.
Review of Occidental College
Men's Assistant Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Occidental College. I continue to still work at the college. I have learn a significant amount about service and hospitality while learning the ins-and-outs of a college athletic department.
I enjoy my role as a team player at the Wellness Center
Senior Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 10, 2015
The Wellness Center is a place that I found very interesting, I enjoyed being part of a team that was helping our future adults. I enjoyed the education of what is being share with the students. Overall I enjoyed my job very much!
Fascinating Colleagues, little room for advancement
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 2, 2015
Working at an institution of higher education is truly inspiring and the students we get to interact with on a daily basis are truly going to change the world. However, there is no clarity with regard to career and salary advancement.
Pros
lectures, programs, good benefits
Cons
lack of clarity
Hard but rewarding work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 9, 2015
I was contacted by the College to help with their White Sea bass conservation efforts. I was one of the top 10% producers of sea bass in Southern California, and I worked with the Fish and Game to collect and analyze samples. This was too much like the commercial fishing career I did not want anymore, so I left after one season.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Too much like fishing
One of the better Student Jobs on campus
IT Support Desk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 28, 2014
The work day is unpredictable but that was half of the fun of the job. There were days when the work didn't stop piling in but those days you learned to juggle. On other days, you got to relax and work on long term projects.
Pros
Usually fits around schedule
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours to work
Teachers assistant, grading labs is time consuming, everything else is great
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2014
I worked as a TA for chemistry laboratories. You get to know a lot of the chemistry teachers better. Fun and great way to solidify your knowledge of chemistry and improve your laboratory technique.
Some labs can be a bit boring, and you have to be on your feet the whole time, but there's always interesting conversations to be had with students to pass the time.
Once a semester you have to grade two labs for every student. There are a lot of students. Even when you skim through it, it takes many, many hours. It is horrible. But it's a small price to pay for a comfy job that bolsters your resume.
Occidental
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2014
Between your own academic schedule and work-study jobs, work there can be tough to balance. The pay isn't great but the work can sometimes be easy enough to outweigh that.
Pros
Nice environment, coworkers
Cons
low pay
Intense academics in a beautiful setting
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CaliforniaJune 20, 2014
Interesting, intelligent students with some exciting faculty. Beautiful setting in Glendale California. Well-arranged curriculum for teaching fundamental skills
Undergraduate College, Strong biology research
Student Research (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2013
Juggling school and research. The professors are very understanding and helpful as they are doing the same. The post-docs are helpful and supportive. My coworkers are ambitious and hardworking with full, interesting lives. The most difficult part of the job is finding time to perform very long procedures, especially if I require an assistant throughout. The most enjoyable part of the job is performing tasks that I find interesting, having them work, and then visualizing the data into results.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Occidental College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2