Occidental Petroleum

Occidental Petroleum Employee Reviews

Good Company To Work With
Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee), Dickinson, NDMay 6, 2015
Pros: good work schedule, fair work pay
Cons: supervisors does not investigate problems very well
Good Company To Work With, Work Schedule Was Good, Half The
Supervisors And Co-workers Good To Work With Other Half Ok, Safety Program Great,
Nice Company, Terrible Team Management
Manager (Former Employee), HoustonApril 5, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits
Cons: Bonus was minimal; corrupt team management
My experience with Oxy was great overall; the people are generally engaged and great, the work was extremely interesting and the culture was in transition, with HQ having recently relocated to Houston from LA. The corporate team in which I worked was still stuck in their old-school LA mindset - which sounds contradictory in a way, I know, but these individuals were apparently used to being catered to, totally coddled by upper management (CEO), and brooking no new ideas or innovative suggestions. Their every whim obeyed with whip-crack alacrity, and if you suggested even a whiff of change to an existing process or a new approach, a creative solution , it was first beaten down, and then promptly portrayed as their own if it wasn't discarded outright out of fear of change and loathing! This was a terrible but unique situation and my experience with certain individuals turned out to be unexpectedly negative. Unfortunately, they didn't get the memo that Houston is a nice place to work, we are all very supportive of each other and of diversity (in every way, including ideas), and we come to Houston from all over the world to work in the oil industry and other businesses. This team should be replaced with people who really understand the nature and culture of the oil business.
Large company
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT IV (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 27, 2015
Occidental was an amazing work experience allowing me to learn from co workers from all over the world. It was very interesting to learn different ways of thinking and solving problems.
good place to make a good living
Process Technician (Operator) (Current Employee), Geismar LouisianaFebruary 18, 2015
overall good place to work advancement, can be a challenge, not many positions to apply for. the operation can use more personnel in many areas to have the entire operation run much more efficiently.
Good Work Place
Equipment Tech (Current Employee), Denver City, TxFebruary 16, 2015
Oxy, is good caring place to work for the lower management is very caring and helps everyone's needs. Oxy is also very helpful in teaching for people who are wanting to learn.
Great Experience
Drill Site Manager, Advisor and Instructor (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2015
Great Place, Great People. The times are hard and a lot of decisions had to be made. The cut is not always in your hands. The bottom line is all important. The school that I was teaching was very expensive and had to be cut at this time.
good company
Frac Consultant and Wellsite Manager (Current Employee), Santa Paula, CAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: keeps busy
Cons: most of the time, just not now
Frac Consultant and Wellsite Manager in charge of 2-4 Workover Rigs plus Rigless Operations on a daily basis, lots of multi-tasking, very detail oriented work when dealing with 4 Workover jobs plus Rigless operations in the same day. Experience with Stimulation, Coil Tubing, Wireline, Testing, Pre-Frac, Frac, Post Frac Operations. Successfully maintaining an incident free safety record while setting benchmark times in Workovers/ Completions. Good Company
Great to work through - kept me working as long as possible.
Drilling Consultant (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great to work through - kept me working as long as possible.
Cons: no cons.
This is a good non stressful company to work for.
Engineering was on top of planning, drilling and completion of wells.
Oxy was good about trying new ideas.
The hardest part of the job was working with the environment when it rained. The roads and locations were slick and muddy due to the clay that the terrain is made up of.
DrillSite Manager
Drill Site Manager (DSM) (Former Employee), Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 8, 2015
o Managing drilling and completion operations as an onsite 24 hour supervisor.
o Ordering and scheduling delivery of materials and supplies.
o Coordinating tug barges with other islands and locations up to two weeks in advance.
o Managing crews, third party contractors, and supervisors. Up to fifty employees.
o Performing daily meetings with personnel to go over tasks, goals, and safety.
o Generating daily “plan forwards” to describe daily tasks for onsite personnel.
o Attending daily conference calls, pre job meetings, and coordination meetings with other departments.
o Calculating and planning depths, lengths, and volumes for casing and cement jobs.
o Work with state officials to obtain permit approvals and generating reports on work performed.
o Reporting hourly information to the company’s data base on the progress of the drilling operations.
o Managing daily spending and rental charges. Reporting charges in the company’s data base.
o Scheduling jobs and tasks to certain daylight hours for noise control in urban environments.
o Required to make important decisions based during time sensitive issues using experience and common knowledge.
great company
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: challening rewarding work
Cons: cant work for them in the uk
good company that provides challenging and rewarding workplace for its employees. Management is knowledgable and experienced with co-workers that are helpfull and knowledgable also
Engaging workplace providing versitile environment and room for growth
Senior AP Specialist/PCard Administrator (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 31, 2014
This company regularly shows its appreciation for their employees. Excellent compensation including the benefits.

Working as the support team for the company expense team no day is ever the same but does provide for an excellent environment for growth and improvement.

willing to train employees to be better employees. They provided me the opportunity to take Seminars to grow professionally and learn to communicate more tactfully and professionally.

I enjoyed getting to train people on how to use the expense system when we transitioned to a new program as well as on going training for new employees and for existing employees who need further guidance.
Generally Positive Environment
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee), Taft, LADecember 30, 2014
Pros: somewhat modern systems, stong capital investment, 401k
Cons: limited opportunities for advancement, geographic locations are undesirable
Over my short 1+yr tenure with OxyChem I have learned much more than in my 3+yrs at my previous job. This is in part to exposure and additional responsibility.

Oxy likes to run lean in comparison to most other companies. As a result, the site I work at has a few (2-3) people doing the work of about 10. This is achievable because there is less direct management involvement day to day and generally less paperwork.

Pay is average for the area, engineers in SELA are in demand so the salary is pretty good compared to other areas of the country. Benefits are very good, especially the 401k match. Healthcare, dental, vision, bonus structure, etc are all standard offerings.

Work is not overwhelmingly demanding, once in a while a project or scheduled turnaround will require additional hours in the day.

Culture is generally positive but there are employees who have worked for a long time at my specific location whom I find to be somewhat jaded. There is certainly an attitude of 'thats how we always do it'. Management is generally constructive and more often than not will support employees rather than stomp on them.

My experience has been that mentoring and development are not strong with Oxy, despite the corporate talk. I do see some positive changes in this area on the horizon.

I find the biggest negative is that opportunities for advancement seem few and far between.
A great place that I have extended my knowledge of the industry
crew (Current Employee), tupman, californiaDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great retirement and vacation and holidays
Cons: micro managed and low pay compared to industry standards
Good job have leaned new aspects of the oil and gas industry and new programs I previously was unaware of
Nice place to work and they provide a 9/80 schedule to help with work/life balance.
Contract Conversion Specialist (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: 9/80 schedule
Cons: a lot of overtime, which is great except for they tell you at the last minute so it is hard to plan a weekend.
I have learned numerous things about a Supply Chain and how it works with extensive knowledge of contracts. I have great co-workers that help out with my training a lot. The hardest part of the job is not getting a lot of training from management. This is not the job for you if you cannot figure it out.
Great place to grow and learn.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), La Porte, TXSeptember 5, 2014
A typical workday at this company consists of testing various samples and inputing data to meet clients standards.
Overall a great experience
Administrative Assistant (Contractor) (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2014
A conservative company but great people to work wit. Systems are a little dated.
great place to work
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 26, 2014
Occidental Petroleum is a great place to work with great benefits.
Great place to work for those with families
Power Marketing Accountant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: career progression and opportunities limited
Overall, Occidental is a great company to work for. It has all of the things a professional working in Corporate America; great work/life balance, 9/80 work schedule, flexible work schedule, laid back work environment, and hands-off management who are approachable if desired.

My complaint concerns the job tasks and duties and not the Company itself. Though initially somewhat challenging (mostly attributed to not having any previous experience in an industry role) the job tasks became monotonous and mundane after a few months of working there and has not grown to be challenging since. Most of the tasks have become routine and require little-to-no train of thought. I have discussed my frustration with management; however, their idea of career progression is doing a similar job in a different commodity. Although the job would be ideal for those looking for great work/life balance and predictability, I feel like I am being pigeon-holed into a back-office accounting role, when I am looking for more professional development that would allow me to do things other than record journal entries, set up payments, perform month-end close, etc.
Excellent parent company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Petrolia, PAJuly 12, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: shift work
My typical job duty is to act as the plant manager in the off-shifts to keep the plant moving toward production goals in a safe and efficient manner.
I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge in my short tenure here. Knowledge of how to operate in a union environment. How to run and maintain industrial equipment including pumps, motors, centrifuges and various operating units.
Our upper management team consists of some very talented, knowledgeable, and friendly people. Unfortunately there is a lack of communication from upper management down.
The hardest part of my job is managing emergency process upsets including power outages and natural disasters.
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all 25 of my employees on a daily basis and manipulating our equipment to keep the plant operational.
ok
Plant Lead Operator (Former Employee), Tupman, CAJune 9, 2014
Pros: some good people
It was an ok company. Management could use a cleaning and not so much stress on production than safety.

About Occidental Petroleum

Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company — one of – Read more

Occidental Petroleum Salaries