Occidental Petroleum Employee Reviews

Decent place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Good place to work with good pay and benefits. Plenty of training provided. Limited opportunity for advancement. Less than stellar atmosphere with current oil prices
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2017
I have been at Oxy for 5 years, and I continue to grow and learn, expanding my knowledge daily. The people of Oxy are wonderful and I would recommend working at Oxy. We are about collaboration, innovation and integrity.
Pros
9/80 schedule
Have to work very hard to become a permanent employee but not sure that the pay is worth it.
Accounting Specialist, Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2017
A very fast pace position that does require a lot of muti-tasking when working in the Accounts Payable side of the company. You will start out as a contract worker and then after a year or maybe even long you will eventually become permanent.
Fun place to work
Open Wells data entry (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 23, 2017
I learned all about the oil/gas industry. I entered data into open wells that was given to me by my supervisors. Overall everyone was great to work with and I enjoyed my time there.
I loved my time with Oxy
Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 20, 2017
One of the best places I have ever worked. I just wish it didn't have to end when it did. Occidental was a throw back company as far as how they took care of their employees, and how loyal the employees were to Oxy.
Pros
Compensation and culture
Good Company
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 13, 2017
Good company to work for, pay is decent. not the best but not the worst. OT shortage because of over hiring. typica work day consists of maint. readings and samples.
Project Manager
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2017
Occidental Petroleum is a great company and I really enjoyed working there. Positions within the company are limited due to the price of oil being so low.
Transportation Logistics Coordinator
Tranportation, Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 24, 2017
typical would be dispatching trucks onto barge for equipment distribution, also scheduling trucks to pickup & also deliver equipment to various locations on land and at sea. my office was also the reporting and assistance of injuries employees, also my office took care of all emergency, i.e.. Oil Spills, accidents (employees or equipment). hardest part of job would be dealing with an injured person. most enjoyable part of job would be c0-workers.
Pros
interactive with everyone
Excellent Organization
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 15, 2017
I worked for Occidental for nearly 20 years and was given outstanding opportunities to develop my capabilities and experience in finance and accounting. I worked with exceptionally talented people throughout my career and cannot say enough about the outstanding people at Oxy!
An Experience!!!
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2017
Oxy is a great company. A great diverse group of people with a family kind of feel. Great hours, Great pay and very high morale!
Truly a great place to work!
Pros
Company Events
Cons
Should've stayed in Los Angeles!!!!!
Very productive, fast paced. Friendly, cooperative co-workers
Contract Regulatory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2017
Extremely fast paced with very aggressive drilling schedule. Friendly, cooperative co-workers. Nice office with adequate equipment.

I have no knowledge of items being rated because I was a contract employee. I checked four stars because the Indeed system required a rating for each item.
Pros
Great working schedule with half day Fridays.
mpany and familiarity to variety of field operation vigilance and stay safe.
Field Administrator (Former Employee) –  Yemen.Block s1May 31, 2017
I learned competency and hardworking management in multinational company .Get Accustomed and trained in several position I hold.It was amazing for me and turning point to live diversity in culture,race while holding your job and learn to form the experience for you future career.I enjoyed the hardship and challenges in fact they were the climax in my work.
good
good
Nice employees
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 27, 2017
I only interned here but I did enjoy it. Everyone was very nice and would go out of their way to help me. I was able to find mentors that helped me with non work-specific questions.
Great company to work for
Business Development Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2017
Investment in employee growth, challenging work environment, exceptional work-life balance, great benefits, friendly co-workers, great position in industry and focus on long-term growth, among many others!
Aggressive planning to meet Production exit rates
Project Controls Lead (Former Employee) –  OmanApril 15, 2017
* One of the largest producer in Oman with a good working culture and thin organization structure. Allowed to work in verticals as long as commitments are met
Summary
Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
Several years of regulatory coordinating with several companies while providing updates and recommendations to management team as it relates to oil and gas regulations and rules.
Occidental Petroleum is an incredible place to work.
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2017
Oxy allows people to eventually grow. It provides freedom and flexibility to do your job. Job growth is very slow. Some people wait up to 12 years before being promoted. Salaries are maintained at very low level in the payment range, usually between 20-30%.

That is the one and only disadvantage working at Oxy IT.
Pros
Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Prospects of promotion are slim, salaries are stagnant
Special Projects
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2017
I loved my job at Occidental Petroleum Corporation. If they hadn't of moved to Houston, I'd still be an employee. I enjoyed working with the Chairman's Office and producing the Annual Meetings.
Pros
Internatoinal
Cons
Corporate moved to Houston
It was a good place to work for a contract person.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2017
Answer phones and set up files.
Learned the legal side of the oil field mineral rights.
Management was good.
Fast paced
Distributing the incoming calls.
Working with the customers.
Great Company to work for
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2017
PROS: Great Company to work for, they offer yearly bonuses and 9/80 schedule.

CONS: The engineers are given several advantages compared to people working in support functions like Finance.
The Finance department has a different culture than the rest of the company. There is no opportunity for career advancement and very high turnover.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Occidental Petroleum. Our community is ready to answer.