Occidental Petroleum Employee Reviews

No work/life balance, unrealistic expectations by management
Geologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2015
MY first two years with Occidental Petroleum was very hard work, but I enjoyed the work, the people I worked with and felt that my direct managers understood the need for a work/life balance.

In 2012 the organization changed dramatically and the choice of who would be leading the reservoir management teams was based on who made the best 'yes man' than who could do both the technical work and the managerial work. The company culture became very tense and there was a never spoken, but understood completion between the different reservoir management teams for funding and bonuses. The managers were 'ladder-climbers' and attempted to push employees to 'misguide' the upper management as to the profitability of a project.

Overall, the last 3 years I worked at Oxy, it became clear that solid science and logical engineering were not longer important, and perhaps even a hindrance, to a project.
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 9, 2016
Great company with good benefits. In some situations, management will hold you back and expect you to do a mediocre job. People, for the most part are great. Downsizing hit many people hard and management was less than helpful.
Pros
Benefits & opportunity for bonuses
Cons
Management needs to better manage and have the same expecations of everyone
Good Comp and Benefits, but...
HR Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2015
Overall, it's a good company to work at. Only downside is work/life balance. It is difficult, at times, to spend time with your family and work long hours at work.
Pros
Competitive Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Work/life balance
Good place to work with great benifits
Safety, Health, & Environmental Advisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 5, 2015
I went to work for Oxy with a great team of managers. They have a lot of turn over in upper management. The 4.5 years I was there, I had 4 different drilling managers. This made it tough to obtain consistance due to each manager wanting to do something different than the other. The long term employees were always willing to help and were fun to work with.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Back stabbers wanting to go to the top as quick as they could.
Extraordinary management team
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 12, 2016
My management team was the best. A total of 6 persons forming up this crew, I have never had so much support in every task on the job. With this attitude our focus was doing our job with least amount of distractions. Have dearly missed this environment.
Pros
Every day was a learning process.
Cons
Would have liked project to have lasted longer.
Productive and Challenging place to work
Sr. Scheduler/Project Controls Analyst (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 17, 2016
Time spent could be more useful if more training were provided to employees and project management teams. This company did not have the procedures in place for building a solid PMO at the time I was there.
Excellent Place to Work
Security Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2016
Great experience, good growth opportunity and solid pay and benefits. Very unique environment with opportunity to develop into other areas of the company.

The company was very involved with supporting and involvement with the community in which it operates.
Pros
One of the largest Oil Company in the world.
Cons
Corporate Headquarter relocated from CA to Texas
Great learning experience and growth.
Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
This was my first Oil and Gas industry job. I learned about oil and gas while working here. Management was great on getting me up to speed with job role, everyone on my team was eager to share their knowledge and experiences. I really enjoyed working with people from all across the globe.
Pros
Working with international people.
Great place to work.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 23, 2015
The many years I worked there it was a very demanding but rewarding work experience. Management supported the team concept and therefore I witnessed many examples of synergy taking place. Sometimes it was amazing what we accomplished in such a short amount of time.
Pros
Great place to work, worked as a team, no micro-managing, employee recognized for superior performance, customer focused and not customer driven.
Cons
We were beginning to get severly under staffed with the amount of projected we had committed to.
The overall working experience was great
Drilling Engineering Office Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 2, 2016
Co workers were very helpful and informative. Chain of command was welcoming and cared about my personal success. Was given a lot of responsibility immediately and challenged to the best of my abilities
Great company and culture
Commercial Strategic Specialist Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
Great company to work for long term. Benefits are competitive.

9/80 schedule is much appreciated by employees throughout the company.
Pros
9/80 schedule, people
Cons
Not structured Job Traning and development
Records
Seismic Data Management Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 22, 2016
Great Place to work! Friendly coworkers and great flexible schedule. Easy access to the freeway. Great location. Wish it was a perm job, currently working contract only.
Pros
Great Coworkers, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Contract work only
Great Company that empowers you
Risk Management Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 9, 2016
Occidental Petroleum has given me the ability to grown and learn more about the industry I am in. Even though they are going through hard time and relocating most departments to Houston, the experience I have received will be beneficial to me in the future.
High-paced, challenging environment
Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2016
Sink-or-swim environment. Help and training are there if you need it, but you have to ask. Generally, good management. Often work long hours (50-60 hours/per week), but every other Friday off.
Exceptional organizational attitude directed toward individual skill development
Project Manager Sr. - Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2015
Total optional in-house training program. The attitude of upper management was commendable in that they were committed to the personal development of all employees.
It's what you make of it
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston GreenwayJanuary 11, 2013
Oxy as a company is fantastic and their culture reflects that. The company offers great benefits and the people you work with are fantastic. There is a diverse group of people on the accounting side. Sure it's cliquish but what major company isn't? Let's be honest if you went to a school with 20k or more people it's second nature to you or should be.

I work in accounting at Oxy and my big gripes are the insane work loads, small pay raises, it's hard to move around the company and your job satisification is very much determined by who you work for. If you are interviewing at Oxy you're best bet is to talk to people you know there. Usually they will tell you who the difficult managers are. I like who I work with for but there a few on my floor I wouldn't work for.

However, I feel like its a great first job out of college or if you are early on in your career. You get to learn about the industry really well and it will open up excellent exit options once you leave. Just don't buy what they sell you in the interview and that should go for any company you interview with.
Pros
9/80 schedule
Cons
lots of overtime and work that never ends
Productive Workplace
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
Workplace conducive to collaboration and introduction to new innovative ideas. Learned the importance of cross-functional collaboration.
Nice Company, Terrible Team Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  HoustonApril 5, 2015
My experience with Oxy was great overall; the people are generally engaged and great, the work was extremely interesting and the culture was in transition, with HQ having recently relocated to Houston from LA. The corporate team in which I worked was still stuck in their old-school LA mindset - which sounds contradictory in a way, I know, but these individuals were apparently used to being catered to, totally coddled by upper management (CEO), and brooking no new ideas or innovative suggestions. Their every whim obeyed with whip-crack alacrity, and if you suggested even a whiff of change to an existing process or a new approach, a creative solution , it was first beaten down, and then promptly portrayed as their own if it wasn't discarded outright out of fear of change and loathing! This was a terrible but unique situation and my experience with certain individuals turned out to be unexpectedly negative. Unfortunately, they didn't get the memo that Houston is a nice place to work, we are all very supportive of each other and of diversity (in every way, including ideas), and we come to Houston from all over the world to work in the oil industry and other businesses. This team should be replaced with people who really understand the nature and culture of the oil business.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Bonus was minimal; corrupt team management
Summary for Oxy
Senior Travel Consultant/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2016
I learned to stay focus and do my job. The employees clicked in groups, especially the administration group. I enjoyed my tenure.
High-paced work environment with a lot of responsibility and learning
Facilities Engineer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 19, 2015
Facilities engineers were given a lot of responsibility. Productivity demands were high, thus leading to a high-pressure and high-stress atmosphere. However, the work was rewarding, and the company's compensations were superb.