About the Position:
The Writer assists in communicating the voice of Ocean Conservancy across several content areas including writing for grant proposals, publications and reports, internal communications, fact sheets, online communications and other materials as needed. Specific channels include Ocean Conservancy’s quarterly newsletter Splash and annual report, the International Coastal Cleanup annual publication, and the website and blog. The Writer will advance Ocean Conservancy’s philanthropic partnerships with individuals, foundations and government agencies, playing a supporting role in raising more than $10 million annually. The Writer’s work encompasses all of Ocean Conservancy’s program areas and requires the ability to translate science and policy language into accessible, compelling and informative material for target audiences. The Writer works well under the pressure of tight deadlines and is able to multi-task, working across two departments to serve broad fundraising and communications needs.
1) For Resource Development:
- Works collaboratively with development and senior program staff to articulate our mission and objectives to new and existing individual and institutional/foundation donors;
- Writes for Splash newsletter and for program/development collaborative reports such as the International Coastal Cleanup publication;
- Develops compelling cases for support through the creation of proposals and letters of inquiry in ways that convey the impact and imperative of Ocean Conservancy’s programmatic initiatives;
- Participates in interdepartmental meetings for key program staff to identify and prioritize project needs and tracking proposal and report preparation assignments;
- Works collaboratively with conservation program and finance staff to report on the impact of philanthropic support through the creation of formal and informal narrative and financial reports; and
- Ensures continuity in relationship management by maintaining systems and files to track contacts, submission and reporting deadlines, and philanthropic commitments in Raiser’s Edge and hard-copy files.
2) For Marketing & Communications:
- Creates content for the website, blog, program fact sheets, etc. that maintains consistent brand messaging and fulfills the organization’s strategic goals;
- Supports the Senior Writer as needed on the development of speeches, op-eds, and other content for media placement;
- Copyedits and proofreads content;
- Assists in the maintenance of and training of staff on Ocean Conservancy’s style guide;
- Identifies opportunities to contribute content to online channels and follows through on providing that content;
- Maintains relationships with key staff needed for factual input and content development;
- Other duties as assigned by the department.
- Minimum of five years of writing experience for a nonprofit organization, public affairs, grant-writing, communications and/or journalism;
- Degree in English, journalism, marketing or comparable experience;
- Superior written communication skills, including capacity to communicate complex ideas compellingly to a variety of audiences;
- Strong grammar and editing skills (knowledge of AP style a plus);
- Knowledge or experience with environmental policy issues a plus;
- Flexibility and willingness to work in an interdepartmental position to create distinct products for a variety of audiences;
- Strong computer skills, including experience with prospect research tools, funder databases (Raiser's Edge experience a plus), and a working knowledge of HTML and content management systems is a plus;
- Successful track record in crafting effective and compelling proposals, reports and budgets to meet specified guidelines;
- Attentiveness to details and strict adherence to deadlines and deliverables;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Highly collaborative with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach
APPLY FOR THE POSITION:
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy's team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities along with your resume and salary expectations to: Ocean Conservancy and note your name and ""Staff Writer #13-01"" in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Indeed - 16 months ago
Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence
- 18 days ago
Audubon Naturalist Society
Chevy Chase, MD
- 12 days ago
- 13 days ago