Ocean Dental Employee Reviews

Poor management/policies/training
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Stillwater OK, Patient Scheduling CenterJune 9, 2015
*Typical day at work: Come in and you sit at your computer and are BOMBARDED with tasks that are not even in the same area as your position implies. I worked as a PSR (Patient Scheduling Representative) in the call center for 6 months and moved up to Team Leader for about 5 months. I truly enjoyed the people that I worked with and part of the management crew. The more unfortunate part of the management crew was disgraceful. I was miserable every time I made eye contact with my direct supervisor because she would put me on ridiculous tasks that were under her job description, and tell me that they were "priority," and then get frustrated and talk to her supervisor about how my productivity was unsatisfactory because I could not juggle my job and half of hers. I absolutely ADORED the people I worked with, but the one time I questioned my superior, good Lord almighty things went sour and I was forced to deal with the repercussions of having an opinion.

Ocean Dental's attendance policy is ridiculous! They run you on a points system. You are aloud 25 points before immediate termination. I unfortunately dealt with a series of health problems and met my 25 points months ago. They are UNFAIR! Because one of the managers favored me, he never showed that I was not at work so I never received "points." The DAY after I spoke with my other superior and was reprimanded for voicing my opinion, I all of the sudden had 25 points. Granted, I should have been TERMED much before that, I was demoted from my position and sent back to entry level employment. Obviously because I had angered one
  more... of my superiors. On the other hand, the employees that were under me would be terminated the DAY that they hit their 25 points. There is no rhyme nor reason as to who they hire or fire. They choose favorites and everyone is able to see.

I left the company because I realized how unfair things were between Leadership rolls and entry level employment rolls. This company would be an amazing thing if they could decide how to treat their employees like valued human beings.

Steer clear, $9-$10/ hour is not worth the amount of stress that this company will lay on your back.
Pros
benefits, hours lunches
Cons
management, policies, work load
It's an overbooked mill that DID NOT PAY PROMISED RATE
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2014
I worked at Ocean Dental as a sub through a subbing agency. I worked one day and would never go back. First, before I went, I had an agreement WITH Ocean Dental on my hourly pay. Guess what?! I got paid LESS than Ocean Dental and I agreed on!!!!!!! Second, I was told to come from 8am-5pm, 1 hour lunch. They sent me out for "lunch" 2 hours earlier than scheduled because patient flow decreased at the moment. For the same reason, they also sent me home early. They are overbooked, so you have to work as fast as you can to accommodate everyone at the moment; but if God forbid it got slower, then you will be going for a nice, unpaid "walk" outside. The manager was looking over us (hygienists) like a hawk. But the minute it got slower, she COMMANDED us to go clock out. Obviously, the manager's priority was to make sure that we didn't get "overpaid" a minute.
Some of the dentists were nice, some not. The hardest part of the job - was NOT walking out of there in a middle of the day. If you value your time and yourself, don't waste it here. This company DOES NOT CARE about its workers (or its patients from what I saw).
Dear Ocean Dental. If you schedule people to come work from 8-5, then you should pay them for that time. And not have them clock in and out at your convenience! It's very disrespectful to have your workers reserve their whole day for you and only get paid for a portion of those originally scheduled hours. Shame on you!
Cons
it's a mill. did not pay rate they agreed on.
Out of touch management causes a lot of unnessary problems.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma city, OKApril 16, 2014
Started out as a good company, but that soon changed when the money was more important than staff and patients. Staff is required to over book the schedule. Patients in and out of the chair as fast as you can. Worried about production and paperwork than quality care.
Clinic ran by a micromanaging managers who never gives any positivity only negativity and knows nothing about running a dental office. Management needs to get in-touch with staff. Their polices do not fit all the circumstances that involve the clinics . Doctors have their own way of doing things. The staff trying to please corporate , doctors and patients. Staff has been cut back in every clinic. causing undue stress on employees.

There is just too much unprofessional things going on. Poor cleanings and faulty exams. No dental Hygienist. Corporate cover up. Especially when it involves doctors.

I enjoyed working with my co-workers and the patients at Ocean dental. Most of the time it was very enjoyable. Hardest part of the job was corporate management. They needed to let the clinics practice dentistry and support the needs of doctors and staff.
Pros
at one time was a great company to work for.
Cons
poor management
Don't bother you will be miserable
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKAugust 7, 2012
They started out as a good family oriented company, but that soon changed when the money was more important then the employees. They stopped giving christmas bonuses, froze everyones pay, but went out and bought a personal jet. Got new managers who would not allow you to attend school (which was a previous arrangement), would not let you take off for doctor appointments (even when you had PTO), and continued to make it impossible for people with families to work there. If you arrived one minute late you where given a point after so many points you would be written up, and there was no parking so you would have to drive around the block to park on the street walk to the building, unlock it, get to your desk get your computer up and running to clock in.
Pros
decent pay, and benefits
Cons
harrasement, not family oriented, not education oriented
Doesn't care for employees and plays favorites
DA (Former Employee) –  OklahomaAugust 18, 2012
Don't waste your time....lowest pay they can get you for. No christmas bonus....no raises besides the one you get once a year...company so big that the people who really could give you a raise never really even see you work and never know what your worth. No matter what you do, missing no days putting up with rude and or belittling Drs....you are still just a replaceable employee (dime a dozen). They like to bring new people in and put them in high positions even if you've been with the company forever and deseve the position. It's a slave job for sure, they'll work you to death and expect you to do it fast.....I could go on and on...just not worth it.
Pros
it's a job pays the bills
Cons
listed below
Don't waste your time, won't be long before your looking to escape!
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warr Acres, OKOctober 25, 2013
You do not want to work at this place! This office is ran by a very lazy micromanaging manager, who is very insecure and emotional who never gives any positivity only negativity and knows nothing about running a dental office besides sitting at her desk! The assistants are like slave drivers! Throwing kids in and out of the chair as fast as you can wasting up government $ on poor cleanings and faulty exams! Not to mention all they equipment is old and so filthy! Don't waste your time or health on this low paying disaster!
Cons
over worked, under appreciated, bad quality care, wasted government money, bad mgmt, etc.
Great workplace and staff
Community Awareness Representative (Marketing) (Former Employee) –  Pharr, TXJanuary 30, 2013
Everyday I would go out into the community and build partnerships with schools, doctors offices and non-profit organizations. I would schedule new patients and follow up with them on what their experience was at the office. I learned about the dental industry and how it works. My co-workers were great and lots of fun to work with. The hardest part of my job was getting all the scheduled patients in to the office. The best part was all the relationships I built within the community.
Pros
enjoy meeting new people and building long term relationships
Cons
quota too high for the area
Not a good place to work there lots of problems
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 3, 2012
Don't care about employees. Management doesn't have the skills needed to manage properly. Shows favorites. Very High Turnover, Policies such as being docked a minute if you are late never mind if you stay late or not. You can be docked 2 or 3 minutes. Personal favorites are given preference even if they don't have the skills for a job.
Pros
after working here you will have a greater appreciation for your new job.
Cons
poor unskilled management, high turnover, doesn't care about employees
work day
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  shreveportSeptember 21, 2015
On a typical day I bring the patient back and set up the room, the dr comes in and we get started on tx. I put my notes in the computer and review them before I walk the patient out. At ocean dental we help in all areas, so if I don't have a patient I will go in hygiene and help prophy or put in notes for the hygienist or help the dr with an exam. also if I don't have a patient I will go into the sterilization and help in there.
Pros
hour lunch, health insurance
Cons
accrue time, things change all the time, rules are not followed
Great place to put a smile on someone's face
Dental Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 11, 2013
Working at Ocean Dental was a great experience for me. My job was to greet the patients and their parents. Sometimes we had angry patients and sometimes the day would go smoothly. It was my job to make sure that every patient was welcomed with open arms and if they weren't unhappy, I would try to find ways to help solve the problem so that they would return to the clinic. Overall, Ocean Dental was a great place to work.
It was a very busy company with very little help
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 13, 2012
Ocean dental was a great enviroment to work in.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting a lot of difference people who came into the clinic and the people I worked with. When I started working for the company I had a wonderful supervisor, she was honest and did not mind getting her hand dirty to show me the ropes of the company. I got along with every body no problems. I did not find anything hard about the job.
Office Manager
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityJuly 11, 2013
• Responsible for the continuing education, training, and certification of new and experienced employees.
• Conducted interviews for all management positions and make hiring recommendations.
• Monitored, evaluated, and counseled staff of 10 employees.
• Researched, developed curriculum for, and conducted monthly staff training.
• Fostered a teamwork/open-door environment.
• Overseeing disciplinary action and managing HR records.
productive and stressful work place
Office Assistant/ Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKMay 8, 2015
typical work day for me was showing up early to unlock the doors, get the back up and running help the front office get there job started. then i would usually start seeing patients at 8 am. i loved my co-workers and what i did. most enjoyable part is being able to help a scared kid and do the procedure with out tears and for them to tell their parents that i was the nicest lady ever
loved it!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 3, 2016
I really enjoyed working there. The staff was great! I learned a lot about dental practice which I had no previous training on. It was a lot of information to learn in a short period of time but I never felt like I couldn't ask questions and someone was always there to answer them. It would have been nice to have some sort of training program but other than that I had an overall good experience.
This use to be a good place not any more. Management sucks and causes a lot of unnessary problems.
Dental Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 7, 2012
There is just too much unprofessional things going on in this clinic. Too much gossiping and things unreleated to work happening. A lot of coverup going on. Not a good place to work right now.
Pros
this use to be a good place many years ago.
Cons
good employees are leaving it is not a enjoyable place to work.
Productive workplace with friends
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 9, 2014
My coworkers are enjoyable to work with. Its all about team work. The hardest part of my job is the schedule is not consistent and the gossip. The enjoyable part is some of the friendships that I have made and knowing some of the patients that I have helped along the way.
In love with dentistry
Office Manger (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 3, 2013
I began dentistry in the year of 1990 my senior year in high school. I was introduced to dentistry by my childhood dentist. I use to walk to the office after school to shadow him... fell in love with dentistry and decided to make a career out of it.
Pros
happy patients
Cons
short staff
The worst environment to work in
OA (Former Employee) –  ShawneeJune 27, 2015
Office employee and management are not professional at all. Typical day starts with profanity and other disgusting topics leaving the other OA doing all the hard work of checking many people in at once. The job is is great with different employees and management.
Slave job
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warr AcresJune 9, 2012
I was a coronal polisher at this company for a year. They like to hire assistants at a low price and have them clean all the kids teeth.and fast.. no appreciation and they are more worried about production and paperwork than quality care, no legit bonus systems, just HARD work.
Fun Workplace with children
Front Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pharr, TXMay 16, 2012
Review patients charts, verify insurance for patients, schedual appointments, insurance billing, accounts payable, accounts recievable, maintain the flow of patients.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
travel time to get to work

2.9