Ocean State Job Lot

Ocean State Job Lot United States Employee Reviews

a good place for a first job
pets/hardware department head (Current Employee), Griswold, CTApril 26, 2015
Pros: fun place to work
a typical day at work consist of putting out freight rearranging the items on the shelves or bulk area to fit new items out. assisting customers that have questions or need help to get an item. I have learned how to merchandise
Fun Place to work with great people!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Westfield, MAApril 23, 2015
Pros: great management
Cons: mostly weekend hours
I enjoy working for Ocean State Job Lot. The hours are flexible and the people are sociable. I have learned a lot about customer service. The management is very caring.
Hostile work enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee), berlin ctApril 14, 2015
Job security is terrible do not plan on being there long. It is a very hostile environment to work. The staff they have working there will go against policies and rules and nothing will be done about it.
Enjoyable workplace
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee), Peterborough NHApril 5, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Terrible scheduling
A nice place to work, with friendly employees and middle management. it's exciting to see all the new stuff we get every month, and now I find myself comparing every price to what I've seen at work. The only problem is the terrible scheduling. most weeks my schedule has at least 3 days different, and we almost never have the right number of cashiers, either too many, with nothing to do, or so few that department heads must ring, and lines pile up during breaks.
A decent start. Great for people who enjoy a retail setting
Janitor (Former Employee), Waterbury, CTApril 4, 2015
Pros: Learning Experince, Great Co-workers
I found Ocean State Job lot to be an enjoyable experience. Many of my co-workers were enjoyable people whom I consider friends and the focus on customer service made me feel like I was truly helping people.
Negative reviews are not a coincidence
Management (Former Employee), connecticutApril 4, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Culture
I have never reviewed an employer before, which is why I hope you listen. This company is absolutely horrible. Employees are constantly given multiple direction from those above store level which always seem to contradict one another. Management is not allowed to effectively run their business and are incessantly berated by Corporate. If you are not management, you are completely disposable....if you are in management, you are seen as even more disposable. Overall, by far the most disorganized, inept, and archaic companies I've ever seen.
awesome place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), North Plymouth, MAApril 2, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: standing on your feet. short breaks
great hours to work. you learn your customers and get on more of a personal relationship. chances to learn new things and to chances to move up.
Cashier (Current Employee), New Britain, CTMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Discounts, Meeting New People
Cons: Short Breaks (10 Mins)
Slow & Productive
Excellent Management
Friendly Co-Workers
Hardest Part Of Working:
Staying Busy
Most Enjoyable Part:
Meeting New Customers Everyday.
Great experience
Customer Service/ Stocker/Seasonal worker (Former Employee), Bristol, CTMarch 23, 2015
This was a seasonal position and it allowed me to work during a peak season and to learn how to merchandise and work with customers.
Fast Paced
Cashier (Former Employee), Middleboro, MAMarch 19, 2015
As a person who enjoys staying busy, I appreciated that there was always some project to do or product to put away. I was always kept busy and appreciated the bosses looking to me to finish a project or to clean and organize something.
treats people like machines
area supervisor (Current Employee), United StatesMarch 14, 2015
Pros: the customers
Cons: walking in the building
This is a horrible place to work. They set you up to fail with their unrealistic point system. It's like they wait and watch for any sort of mistake and then hit you with point reductions. Kiss any sort of raise goodbye if your a normal person.
Productive place to work
Team Member (Former Employee), Warwick, RIMarch 12, 2015
I found my job to be enjoyable, and I didn't find any part of my job hard and/or difficult. Sometimes lifting extremely heavy things could be taxing.
Constantly Hectic
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee), Medford, MAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: made friends with fellow employees
Cons: everything else
My experience working at Ocean State Job Lot was working in a daily hectic atmosphere and being hounding by the general manager to hurry, hurry, hurray. While there are other managers within the store, there always running around like chickens with there head cut off and a lot of the time don't communicate with each other causing more confusion. The store is a constant revolving door of employees due to the horrible point system they use to punish employees which you don't find about until after your hired. I would also like to add that the new employee orientation I attended when I first started there was the most hectic, unorganized, and unprofessional orientation I've ever been to. Also the store I worked in had the daily use of regular ladders to lift very heavy boxes on to shelves. Other retailers I have worked at least had safe staircase ladders. I was shocked to find out at orientation that we had to pay for the apron, box cutter and gloves we were issued the first day. No other retailer ever required me to do this. The only positive thing there was I made some friends with the other employees.
fun work place
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee), Wethersfield, CTFebruary 25, 2015
I loved working there. It was always busy and never a dull moment there. It was a fast pacing work environment.It was a great job
ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Nashua, NHFebruary 18, 2015
Ocean state job lot was an ok place to work for just not the right match for me. The store itself is clean and organized well/.
Job Discription
Department Manager (Current Employee), Ossipee, NHFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: company discount and co-workers
Cons: healthcare and limited hours
A typical day at work would consist of being assigned a register till, making sure your work area is clean. If the customer level is low for cashing out, I would go to my assigned areas and make sure that the plan a grams are current and filled, condense the flex areas and fill and move merchandise. Work other areas as needed and assigned. I enjoy working with the co-workers and management.
Management so so Corperate out to get you
Area Supervisor (Former Employee), Fishkill, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: the company
Low hours to run store means wearing many hats, never enough time to get projects done, Never the same product constantly remerchandising areas and always a mess
Small and comfortable company
Sales Associate/ Clothing Processor (Former Employee), Waterbury CTFebruary 5, 2015
A typical day at work was simple and all together very comfortable. The Waterbury store is relatively small so all employees got to know each other quite well. From this employment I learned that providing great customer service can be easily provided. Management was pleasant at times but they lack the ability to communicate in a way to help the store and it's employees. The hardest part of the job is keeping the store clean but when everyone does there fair share (picking up after themselves) it comes naturally. The most enjoyable part of the job was that management highly enforced their open door policy.
great place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hooksett, NHJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: good work enviroment
Cons: under 29 hrs a week, mimimum wage
working with great people, motivated staff and management, regular breaks, you stay busy which makes the day go faster. as with any job there are people who try to make the day difficult, but if you keep a positive attitude and outlook you will be fine. I personally refuse to be caught up in the drama of others
Fun Place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Manchester, CTJanuary 30, 2015
Enjoy working there everyone is nice and friendly. A lot of nice people and management is nice and friendly. Always busy and things to do

1 2 3 4 5