Ocean State Job Lot Employee Reviews

Staff was wonderful.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYOctober 13, 2017
I left Ocean State Job Lot in January of 2017 due to hours being cut to 8 hours a week from 38 hours a week. Corporate Office gave us no heat in the winter of 2016-2017. When the staff became sick, and unable to work Corporate office wrote us all up. Corporate made it a very unpleasant place to work.
Pros
Cons
Corporate Office
Ocean State Job lot
Volunteer at church Flee (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 10, 2017
I learn how Develop Good Customer Service and Shifting and Receiving Merchandise On the floor learn adapt how Price merchandise and label items.Help customers bring heavy merchandise to their car
Great
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJOctober 10, 2017
Greatt love the ppl. Love the management, company is pretty nice they give you little things to reward you. They have a nice policy if you are short or over
Not worth the stress
Department Head (Former Employee) –  New HampshireOctober 7, 2017
The interview was very laid back, they went over their expectations and my career background. I was called back to start. Orientation was dismal to say the least, I felt I had learned nothing at all about the company or what my job role was going to be. I came back after orientation and it just got worse, I decided to take another job due to the nature of busting my butt all day and not ever able to work in my assigned department due to serious staffing issues. If you want a job where it’s ok to work for short term(seasonal) it’s fine but other than that it really isn’t worth it. Benefits are horrible and very limited. Very disappointed with this organization.
Pros
Interacting with customers, and learn merchandising.
Cons
Stressful work environment, rude coworkers.
It's a good work place for students and as a part time
Front End Supervisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAOctober 3, 2017
the hardest part of this job is managing the Service desk while taking customers and tending to cashiers when they need help. I enjoyed my co-workers and managers, bu the company doesn't appreciate your hard work.
Very fast paced work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  East Haven, CTOctober 2, 2017
On a typical work day will be assigned your til and register and after that you will perform multiple work tasks throughout the day. For example recovering the sales floor, working on register and answering any questions a costumer may have on a product.
Workplace summary
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MAOctober 1, 2017
A typical day varies day to day, everyday is something different which is nice. Each day you learn how to manage the employees on who can do what and who can't. Hopefully soon my hard work will get me to move up in the company.
Pros
Potential to move up
Good starting point for after school teenagers....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2017
I worked as a cashier for about 5 years, not straight - most time was during school breaks, but after college I worked for 3 years straight. As a cashier, you obviously have to work with people and cashing out but they also make you do returns back to the floor and also tidy up the store at the end of the day when it's slow. I worked up to being responsible for the health & beauty dept and the glasses aisle - stocking, organizing, pricing, inventorying, etc. but was never promoted to anything above a cashier. I also worked a lot in the clothing dept, mainly organizing, helping to figure out a better system for the hangers, and folding a ton.
The break room was just a room, small fridge, microwave, nothing special. I felt the place was quite dirty, needed severe upgrades everywhere. I think it's ok for a beginning job for a teenager, just starting out, but get out of there after a year or so. Also, your "reviews" get you about a 25 cent raise, yearly. No benefits.
Pros
local.
Cons
No benefits, dirty, lousy break room, needs updates
Productive during busy times but overall it's not something to consider doing forever
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 25, 2017
There are questionable moments with respect to just that, respect. Lack of female workers definitely sets the tone as to how things function. Other than flexible hours, it's definitely something to look at in terms of a part time job, it's not in my opinion a full time job or something to aspire to move up in, in terms of job position. But other than that the work environment is similar to any retail store.
Pros
pretty flexible with hours
Cons
Short breaks, inconsistency with timing the breaks
Fun place to work good discount
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RISeptember 20, 2017
I had to leave because my mother became very ill and I couldn't take care of her and work there at night, it was becoming very stressful it was only part time nights and weekends. I would have been there 18 years this year. I would still be there if my mother didn't become ill.
Pros
Fun place good employee discount
Cons
Break was too short after 3.5 hrs worked it was only 8 min break
Physical
Part-time Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MASeptember 17, 2017
Extremely hard job. Mentally & Physically, you are up at 4 am to be there by 5 am to work until 10.00 am. responsible for spotting & stocking products from the back stockroom into the store while customers shopped.
Pros
no need for a gym membership
Cons
hours were continously being cut
Good company
Sales Representative In Domestics Department (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, RISeptember 14, 2017
Good Company but you have to be able to carry out a lot of responsibilities at one time. From doing stock, recovery of department, ring at front registers.
Pros
Good Teamwork
Cons
understaffed
stressful
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MASeptember 12, 2017
very stressful not enough employees, did not paid well everything was un organize some managers were great but others were unfair just not an place i would work again let alone recommend it.
Relaxed work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Naugatuck, CTSeptember 11, 2017
Working a Ocean State is a very easy job. All of the employees get along very well and management does a good job of getting work done. The pay is not that great and raises usually aren't given.
Hard to keep up as a team as the store managers change alot.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, RISeptember 11, 2017
I enjoyed the job as being a front end supervisor and working with most of the store managers that were at the store. I left for a different avenue of work.
Former Employee in mass.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MASeptember 11, 2017
To tell you the truth it was a cut throat place to work, I never got a bonus for the work I did there and also when they need me I was there and also on off days if they needed me I was there. They like to cut hours all the time for budget.I loved to work with my coworkers but the manager was not so nice to work with, The manager would walk away from customers and be rude about it.When I first started there I had a great manager but after they transffered to another store. They do this all the time since I work there for about 2 years.If you are looking for a good place to work don't go there!!!
Pros
discount
Cons
breaks were short
Easy job, flexible scheduling
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAAugust 31, 2017
If can stand up for at least 6 hours a day the job lot is for you. Most of the day is spent behind a register talking to costumers or putting products on shelves
Pros
30% discount
Cons
employees were okay, job kinda sucked
Merchandiser Associate (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAAugust 28, 2017
- point system gets everyone fired
- management was extremely unprofessional
- people are treated unfair (favoritism)
- inconsistent hours
- cashiering is good for first time job havers
Company is disgusting!
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 26, 2017
There is no typical workday. Benefits only apply to Full timers, and they do not hire for full time unless you are management or corporate. So NO benefits. Management is horrible. Open door policy means they hear what you say and then do nothing, Most enjoyable part of this job is my coworkers, great group of people! Hardest part of the job is the preferential treatment, the low pay, the short hours (because they do not want to pay for benefits). You can be written up for anything. The registers are always crashing, three times during a 4 hour shift today. Air conditioning is ancient and customers were complaining, never mind the employees. I would not encourage anyone to work here, please, if you want to work retail work at a newer up to date company. A place that grasps peoples needs.
Pros
Cons
shorts breaks, hours can be cut at any time, low pay, poor management
Fun
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 17, 2017
I love the job workers and company, great place to work, good benefits and chances to promote within the company and it feels rewardimg helping out customers that come in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocean State Job Lot. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9