Ocean State Job Lot Employee Reviews

Engaging and comfortable workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTDecember 5, 2016
Ocean State Job Lot is an excellent choice for a first job.

You will learn the essentials of performing as a retail sales associate at a much more comfortable pace than larger establishments, while still leaving yourself more engaged than inside of smaller stores.
Great comapany
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RINovember 16, 2016
All management and staff are so friendly and helpful. Every shift worked is another adventure to be had. Something wrong? Need time out? They actually can understand! Breaks could be a little longer, but honestly this was a great job to have. Easy to learn, easy to hold down.
Pros
Great management, good hours
Cons
Short breaks
good environment nice people to work for.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHNovember 8, 2016
typical day of stocking freight. I love all of the mangers, I've learned alot more about retail. I worked there for three months, but thy started cutting hours down and I'm new to the state so I need all of the hours I can get.
Pros
love to be active
Cons
sometimes too long of hours
We are goven reward days.
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RINovember 5, 2016
I have been working for Ocean state job lot going on my 14th year. It is a great company to work for.I have been given the opportunity to travel to different stores and experience how they are run
Pros
Corporate associates get a free cookout on Fridays, breakfast meals, great hot lunches
Cons
Not all stores are lucky enough to participate in the meal times being as we are at stkre level.
Good Humor, Hard work
Ad Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cranston, RIOctober 27, 2016
While days can be stressful, it is easy to laugh with coworkers, assuming you get along. As a cashier it can be boring, "youre always being watched" so just leave your phone in your locker. This job is best for those with a good sense of responsibility.
Fun, flexible workplace
Corporate Field Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New EnglandOctober 26, 2016
I enjoy traveling to other locations and working with different types of people in different stores. My job is not behind a desk and is very physical.
Friendly. Fun place to work.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAOctober 26, 2016
I actually loved working here . Everyone gets along. Pay was only minimum wage but everything was cheap. On top of discounts. Fun. Organized. Managers were awesome. Always had hours . Def recommend
Pros
Hours. Discounts. Friendly staff.
Cons
Pay
Productive and fun place to work at.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 17, 2016
Very amazing co-workers at this industry. The management is very well. A typical day at work goes well. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting the customers with there needs .
ocean state job lot
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Milford, CTSeptember 15, 2016
since ive been working at ocean state job lot, ive taken on a lot more responsibilities. making sure that the front is running properly and getting specific things done that are asked of me. But all in all its a great company to work for.
Ocean State Job Lot
Part Time Maintenance Person (Former Employee) –  545 Bridgeport Ave Milford CTSeptember 14, 2016
Working at Ocean State Job lot was a good experience.

If Ocean State Job Lot advertises any seasonal jobs this October, I will apply for a job there.
Pros
A great crew to work with. Very supportive.
Cons
I have no complaints about Ocean State Job Lot.
Working Among Chaos
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MASeptember 10, 2016
Typically I would start work at 6:30 am, however I did work other shifts. The store was the 2nd busiest store in Massachusetts. The days were unpredictable, and went very fast.

Unfortunately, there was a communication problem between varies levels of management, and this caused negative chaos-among the stores fast pace chaos.

I really enjoyed the demand for extreme multi-tasking, and must of my other duties as a Front End Supervisor. I had so much responsibility that I most often could not take a break or a lunch.
Pros
The Challenge
Cons
So much responsible no breaks
Average Retail Job for Minimum Wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAAugust 6, 2016
I typically work nights and weekends. My duties involve stocking shelves, performing monetary transactions, and providing customer service. The vast majority of management and my coworkers were very friendly, and everyone seemed to get along. The job pays minimum wage, and rarely gives noteworthy raises.
easy job but very soul crushing and a bore.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RI 02860August 4, 2016
my coworkers were good, was not a fan of the management there though, gets slow and time just drags when you're there. Felt like no matter how long lines got, there was never enough cashiers.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
super short breaks
Never dread going into work.
Seasonal Department Head (Current Employee) –  Leominster, MAJuly 25, 2016
A typical day starts at 5 am when the freight is pulled onto the floor to separate into departments. I originally began as a part time F3 member which the store had slight issues with maintaining strong associates that were committed to working for a company instead of just a "job." I was trained by very patient long term, invested members of the staff. This was the best way of learning the flow of merchandise and prioritizing items on the Top 40 report. Once I was considered a person reliable and hard working, and willing to follow the standards expected of sales associates, I became very interested in the culture of the company and began to ask questions about learning new ways to contribute. Management is fair and my store manager is very approachable and willing to advance his staff, filling department head positions from within. I was able to advance to a full time seasonal department head. And that has motivated me to learn about the business side of the store and have been learning about better merchandising and strong customer service. This did not go unnoticed, and received the "Customer Service Employee of The Quarter" for the entire district. I am proud to have brought that to our store and have been driven to keep it up. Most jobs only point out when you mess up, OSJL strives to retain employees and it shows. My department is the largest and most difficult to keep neat and prepared for upcoming moves with frequent changes in respect to the seasons. I am extremely pleased with the atmosphere created by management and can accurately say I love my job.
Pros
Flexible hours if you're willing to speak with management. Associate development, with attention to incorporating new hires.
Cons
The Kronos point system. Unreliable new hires, low pay increases
Great Place to work. One of my favorite jobs
Cashier/ Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Clinton, CTJuly 18, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Ocean State Job Lot. It was one of my favorite jobs. A typical day for me there would include working the cash register & checking out customers. I would also work on the floor in a certain department. I mainly worked in the Toy department organizing the shelves and restocking them. I was able to make it look very neat and proper. I would also Refold any clothes that were left unfolded and make it look neat and organized again. I would help customers find certain merchandise that they were looking for and give them tips on what type of presents and gifts they would be looking for, for a relatives birthday. My management was very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was working long hours and being prepared for the shopping rush of the day.
Pros
Great place to work. Great hours. always busy
Cons
Loved working with customers and co-workers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sparta, NJJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed being a cashier and helping and talking to customers. I really liked that best. I had to get used to standing for 5 hours and bought good shoes. The people are really nice to work with and they had a lot of patience. I would still be there if not for my car accident.
Pros
Good people and a 20% discount.
Cons
10 minute breaks.
it was good
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 13, 2016
i love what i do im a people person and i enjoy every bit of the job the management is great they make sure they explain and answer any question u need answered
Layed back dirty job.
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 11, 2016
Freight came in on the dirty side, but it was a steady workplace experience. Co-workers were an interesting mix of people at the time.
fast paced and busy
Stocker (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTJuly 5, 2016
Busy place to work. Lots of things to do however the store was very unorganized as far as merchandise. Employees were great to work with.
A good retail chain to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJuly 1, 2016
A typical day at work depends on how slow or busy the day is, learned how to do transactions using different methods of payment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ocean State Job Lot. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9