Ocean View School District Employee Reviews

A rewarding place to work, helping children with Autism and their families
ABA Instructional Aide/Classroom Aide (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 29, 2014
My day is divided into morning classroom time, with Social Groups in the afternoon. I have learned how to handle difficult situations with students, parents, teachers and staff. I enjoy my co-workers who lift me up and collaborate with me on a daily basis. I try to keep an arms distance to those that want to act counter to my philosophy. Hardest part of the job is hearing all the drama and nonsense between staff members. I choose to ignore and not ask questions. I do my best to defuse information that comes my way. By far the most enjoyable part of my day are the children. Their bright smiles and high energy make every day challenging yet rewarding.
Pros
p/t with built in vacation. summer work is optional
Cons
lack of communication between staff and teachers, lack of proffessionalism among the classified employees.
Great schedule and work/life balance; government paced environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 1, 2013
If you are looking for indefinite job security and excellent work/life balance then any government job is wonderful and the same would be true for most school districts. I enjoy the holiday breaks and having summers off; however, there is minimal chance for career advancement or challenge. Things are still done 'the way they've always been done' so there is a lot of waste and inefficiencies in school systems. Ocean View tends to be behind the curve in terms of technology and internal systems to eliminate these inefficiencies. Under "new management" recently, so things may improve.
Pros
schedule
Cons
inefficiencies, slow-paced, minimal growth opportunity, low pay
Productive and rewarding environment
Instructional Aide, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 15, 2014
This is no ordinary job to say the least, but is so very rewarding. What I have learned through supervision, training and experience with the staff and co-workers. Working with special needs and as a one on one aide with autistic children, the hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable part of the job. When you help and see all of their hard work, their is nothing more rewarding and fulfilling then their achievements and accomplishments!
Pros
smiles and laughter!!!
Cons
leaving them at the end of the day
Fast paced environment for the creative thinker
Occupational Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 22, 2014
Everyday is a completely different day! My job requires me to constantly analyze and strategize new and effective ways to make all persons involved more efficient. I have learned flexibility throughout the years and work well with all staff. Learning to quickly solve daily challenges is a must!! I get such great pleasure helping a child succeed.
Pros
the gratifying feeling of seeing someone meet their goals
Cons
no healthcare, not full time
Great management and productive learning environment
School Psychologist Intern (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 1, 2013
At OVSD, I became proficient in creating behavior support plans, providing crisis counseling and intervention counseling for at-risk youth, conducting psychoeducational assessemtents, facilitating IEP meetings, and running social skills groups for students within the Special Day Class Program and Emotionally Disturbed Program at the middle school level.
Great kiddos
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 25, 2015
All duties and responsibilities of teacher.
Typical day; opening; pledge, roll call. Mulltiple subjects, review, teaching and correcting homework.
Pros
getting to know the district, meet principals, teachers and utimately find a teaching position.
Cons
When substituting, I always have duty! I really dislike before school duty, because I need to be reviewing lesson plans for my day!
Ocean View is a wondeful place to work.
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CASeptember 15, 2013
A typical day at work consists of working with children with special needs. We work on behavior modification, life skills and learning through play. This job requires a lot of patience and hard work. I love the environment that I work in. The teachers and myself really love our kids and love to see growth in them everyday.
Great working with students and staff
Substitute Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntington BeachSeptember 9, 2015
On call to fill in for health techs. Had to get to know each health tech individually and create a report so they would use you as a sub. No advancement opportunities do to low budget within the school district.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
no room for advancement
Always busy and fun
Child Nutrition Worker - Substitute (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 27, 2015
I helped out in the cafeteria kitchens for a few of the elementary schools and would help prep food and wash lunch trays.
The ladies in the kitchens were always willing to teach me on how to help them out.
Overall good district who tries to maintain high level of business.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 1, 2015
Provided opportunities to substitute teach in many grade levels K-8. Worded with many different students at many different levels.
Enjoyable and rewarding
Instructional Assistant-SDC (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 29, 2013
The people are friendly and very helpul to work with at Westmont and its rewarding to be helping these children meet their educational goals.
Enjoyable Workplace
Child Care Teacher (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 22, 2015
The school staff were quite friendly and welcoming. Management are a little challenging to communicate with. Good pay for the job.
Repair and maintain school grounds.
Maintenance and operations. (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 7, 2014
I would maintain school grounds by painting and repairing damage to the schools.