Oceaneering Employee Reviews

Chesapeake, VA
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 30, 2016
Favortism is blatant. If you are not willing to kiss butt and play the game you will get no where. Expected to work long hours to get your job done by the deadline while taking on more work and expected to go 3 years with no pay increase, not even a cost of living increase. Just keep dumping more work on you but as long as you are in the inner circle you will get more money. Comes down to who you know, play golf with and how brown you can get your lipstick and nose.
Pros
Could wear flip flops
Cons
No advancement opportunities and pay was not in line with work load and responsibility
Big company........little employees.
DECK FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LADecember 23, 2015
My experience at Oceaneering was bitter sweet. After years of dedicated service, I have witnessed a lot of shady work practices. I have worked with people who had no idea how to do the job that they were hired for. This includes management. Kinda seemed like the screening process was serverly lacking. The safety culture was good for most part. There were some cases where safety took a back seat when time and money were running short. I feel there is a serious problem with the leadership. On many occasions I felt "is this person the best they can come up with?" The different types of projects I was a part of was great. Not so great with sharing information though.
The schedule was hit and miss and was difficult to have any kind of home life.
Pros
Nice vessels, benifits, travel.
Cons
Management, leadership, pay rate, unstable on/off schedule.
Good work, hostile environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 6, 2016
Work was challenging and rewarding. Many good people but the work environment is hostile overall. It is a dog eat dog atmosphere with the leader of the pack (management) playing right along.

if you have a tough shell and can see people for who they are and what they are capable of you can do well but beware of defending others or not sucking up to those in the "inner ring"

Unfortunate that I have to say this after spending a fairly substantial time there, but people deserve better than the treatment they will get working at this division.
Pros
GOOD WAGES - BENEFITS
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT, FAVORITISM, HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
Productive work place
Sr Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2016
My review was exceptional performance, Very close to home during my career here and this is an great company The management was not as involved as I would have liked for them to be. The hardest part of the job was some processes were manual so that would take up most of the day to get Journal entries recorded.
Pros
Company provided lunch on month end close
Cons
Office gossip
Great place to learn if you can overcome the difficult personalities and poor management
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLNovember 6, 2015
The day to day environment is very dynamic depending on the production schedule. At any given time various problems can arise and all duties will be shifted in order to solve the current problem. There are many different departments and sometimes communication and involvement between departments can be very difficult. I learned an immense about the equipment, Lean Six Sigma, and the various types of behavior issues one can encounter in a large corporate company. I found the majority of my coworkers to have less drive than I would have preferred and most of them tried to do as little work as possible and never stepped up to the plate to contribute to the team.
Pros
Benefits, freedom, dynamic equipment
Cons
Corporate management
Outstanding Company
General Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  AFRICAAugust 21, 2016
I very much enjoyed working at Oceaneering, out of the years I had been there, I can't say that I regret being there one bit.

A typical workday at Oceaneering was fast-paced, but at the same time laid back if that makes sense. There was a sense that things needed to get done there, but also your fellow employees made it feel like a small laid back company because everyone was pretty close there for the most part.

I learned how to hone my time management skills there due to the fact that in our production departments we had ever shrinking lead times, but it was a challenge and it was fun most of the time.

The mid-level managers really seemed to try to take care of their employees the best that they could and wouldn't talk down to their workers as if they were better. But of course to the higher managers, it is more about the bottom line than the employees, but then again it is a business and that is to be expected
Pros
Travel
Nice Environment and Family Oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LAMarch 11, 2016
Working for OII was a nice place to be. While working in the Safety Dept. it was never a dull moment and always had to be on your toes and prepared for anything. My manager was opened minded and listened to suggestions made. I know I have many long term friends from the job that I will cherish. When there was a need everyone came together to help. The benefits were the best. The hardest part of the job when learning to disconnect at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part was there always seem to be laughter in the room.
Great place to gain experience
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2016
Really good projects and experiences. Good entry job into the engineering world. Co-workers are generally helpful. Newly implemented career framework is great for engineers going into management, bad for engineers who like to work on projects.
Okay company to work for.
ROV (Former Employee) –  LAOctober 25, 2015
Starting out you have to prove your worth to the company. Being from the area or knowing a lot of people in the right places helps alot. Some supervisors are not very pleasant to work with while some are great and would take the time to train others. Pay is sub par compared to other ROV company employees. Good safety culture on paper as long as you have adequate time to do your job safely. If they are in a hurry or waiting for something to be fixed in a hurry, its all out the window.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
low pay, some supervisors are not pleasant to work with.
Good team environment with lots of innovation
Sr. Product Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2016
Oceaneering is a major innovator in the subsea oil and gas sector. The company is smaller than many competitors which helps drive the culture of innovation in new products. The management is comprised largely of long term employees who have risen through the ranks, most with engineering backgrounds.

The best part of the job is the opportunity to be involved in the development of new products or improvements in existing designs. There is rarely finger pointing or CYA that is evident in many large companies, instead simply a focus on solving problems which arise from testing and development of new products.

The biggest negative is the lower compensation relative to other companies in the industry. There are no bonuses for regular employees including Thanksgiving or Christmas. PTO is a fairly generous vacation allotment for years of service, but is not inclusive of sick time as has been adopted by many competitors.
Safety above all
Production Controller (Current Employee) –  JEB Little CreekJuly 22, 2016
Great group of workers, great company benefits. Always overtime available if wanted. Remote work locations including Hawaii. Typical day of work starts with supervisor direction and duties break time 0900 lunch time 1130-1200 quitting time 1430. Hardest part of the work load is the adverse working conditions on remote sites.
Pros
Quaterly performance benifits
Cons
Work day starts at 0600
Great place to work. Should Have stayed where I was at.
Vessel Captain On Rov Support Vessel (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LAAugust 17, 2016
The days onboard I worked 12 hour days seven days a week. We worked at least 28 days on and 14 days. I learned a lot about subsea construction with ROV. Management was very helpful in all aspects of the job. Hardest part was being away from my family. Good food comfortable living conditions and the education I learned.
Horrible working environment
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2016
I was given 4 days of training and then asked to take over the biggest contract Oceaneering had received to that point by myself. This happened while I watched people in similar positions able to train side by side the person training them for months. If you are looking for structure and clear policies you can follow this is not the place.
Immense Talent to Learn From
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2016
Oceaneering is filled with immensely intelligent and talented team members who are more than willing to mentor and share information freely. For the most part, Sr Executives are just as friendly as the person next to you and are known to field and answer Oceaneers' questions in an open, no-holds barred forum.
Pros
Team mates
Cons
Reductions in Force
Love the company but looking for change
Sr Configuration Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 29, 2016
Friendly co-workers
Love the company but looking for a change.

Typical day- supporting 60+ co-workers with EPDM system &
C/I meeting to improve productivity and processes
Pros
No micro management
Cons
New Management
Management could have been better.
E/C X-RAY Level II Technician (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 6, 2015
Management could have been way better, no job security do to the oil field. I learned a lot due to the tech. that trained me. I had some pretty cool co-workers we all got along very well. Hardest part of the job was dealing with management, they would act like they had no trust in the workers and treated us like kids.
Productive and Rewarding Environment
ROV Pilot/Technician (Current Employee) –  Morgan City, LAMarch 15, 2016
Work included electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical maintenance and repairs, along with the piloting of the ROV. Hardest element of the job was executing repairs while simultaneously maintaining high standards of quality and safety and diminishing non-productive time. While piloting the ROV required extreme spatial awareness, non-traditional hand/eye coordination, and the ability to multitask - it was easily the most enjoyable aspect of the work.
Pros
Meals, accommodations, and equal time off as time worked
Cons
84 hour work weeks, often missed family events and holidays
Most useless company to work with
Snr pilot tech (Current Employee) –  AMEMay 20, 2016
70% supervisor don't even know their job how's that going to mentor the new service hand

System is Most outdated in the world compare to newer and advanced others company.

Underpaid rov crew

Do not recommend people to join.
New service hand won't last long time over there.
Pros
Very easy system to fix but design is useless
Cons
People are not friendly from office to offshore crew...especially supervisor
Offshore minimum wadge!
Sub Sea Remotely Operated Vehicle Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LAAugust 6, 2016
Oceaneering pays the absolute lowest wadges in the industry. Due to the pay they hire individuals that couldnt typically hold a job any where else. So in return the Supervisors are left dealing with incompetent individuals in a offshore environment.
Cons
Pay
ROV Supervisor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LASeptember 5, 2016
Great support for the company. We always had the best equipment and supplies. Oceaneering was and is the envy for the ROV world. I was able to perform in every ROV requirements. Outstanding training.
Pros
Good people to work with and always has work