Ochsner Health System

Ochsner Health System Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work!!
Lead Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 7, 2017
Ochsner is a wonderful place to work! The company is growing and striving to bring the best options for its patients and employees. A typical day in the Lead CDI role includes concurrent review of the medical record for complete and consistent documentation, ensuring that physician queries are answered prior to patient discharge, complete query audits from team members, and accurately reporting CDI impact on accounts based on the working DRG versus the final DRG through the reconciliation process.
Pros
Company strives to be the best
Cons
Overwhelmed leadership team, Poor communication from management
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Raceland, LA 70394February 2, 2017
Great core values. Enjoy the aspects of the job and going to work everyday. Competitive pay for security staff and great opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
N/A
Large and growing company!
MLT (ASCP) (Current Employee) –  New OrleansJanuary 27, 2017
Ochsner is a wonderful facility and is steadily branching out. I love how convenient they make it to work here by providing necessities and a comfortable environment.
Pros
Healthy lunch choices.
Cons
Not enough bathrooms on the floor I work on. Also, need a bigger break room.
Garbage
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAJanuary 26, 2017
Ochsner bought the hospital I worked at for 7 years. Management is abundant & terrible. Staffing practices are unsafe, pay is awful, benefits are a joke.
Excellent training facility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Raceland, LAJanuary 26, 2017
Ochsner is a great hospital based training facility. I have worked on general surgery,short stay, med surg tele, and home health. Ochsner is a great place to work.
Fast Paced
Rather Not Say (Current Employee) –  Rather Not SayJanuary 17, 2017
I have been at Ochsner over 5 years. . I have been able to build a career here and I am truly grateful for all the knowledge & experience I've gained. It is very fast paced and there is always something new to learn.
Pros
Career Opportunities are abundant for Professional/ Administrative Roles
Cons
Just when you get comfortable in your role or process, something is bound to change
high levels of stress
Staff Technologist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 17, 2017
Under staffed with no hope of getting help. Continually giving employees more to do with less help. No employee loyalty. Very high levels of stress with no support from management.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
over worked staff and doctors
Fun Environment to Work In
Administrative Asst. Internal & Hospital Medicine (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 13, 2017
Loved the staff, the doctors and my supervisor and manager. The only reason I transferred is because I could not advance within in the department and couldn't afford the salary I was making at the time.
From A Nurse Point Of View
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 12, 2017
I've been a nurse for 25 years and I'm experienced In a lot of areas. They don't want to pay for your experience but want to work you to death because you're experienced. Managers most of them aren't nurses so they haven't a clue about what we do. They get the big bucks though. You work alone all the time and it's very very busy!! No consideration no bonuses or raises!!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Work you like a slave with no bonuses or raises
Pediatrics only
Pediatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Main campusJanuary 11, 2017
Unfortunately my experience on this Unit was horrible. They are the "mean girls". They describe themselves as a family it felt like hazing at times. Minorities be very conscious...there is a reason you are one of very few. Keep your sanity and stay away. Its so bad your co workers will talk about you with the patients making your job more difficult and developing a rapport with your patients impossible. This Unit should actually be investigated as they do not practice safe nursing and if you point it out ...resign before they work together to destory you. I am not the first person they have done this too. Be careful...
Pros
Pay, benefits, advancement, growth, amazing pediatric pathologies
Cons
Preceptors quickly become your enemy, They will work to fire you if you challenge their methods, They are racially bias, If you are a great nurse...stay away from this Unit.
Big city name, small town budget
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 4, 2017
If you think you've seen high turnover, come to Ochsner Baptist, and prepare to be amazed! Agency nurses quit before their contracts are up, and most new hires want to leave before their 90 days.

Job security is amazing here... some staff members call off at least once per pay period (sometimes more!) without consequence. Understaffed doesn't quite describe the situation here.

Management is inept, and would rather blame staff than listen to their concerns. Gossip is all the rage among the mid levels here, and they're never afraid that talking smack about their staff might look unprofessional. Especially when it's done loudly at the nurses station.

Compared to other hospitals in the area, the pay is a pittance. But, seeing as how this hospital considers basic necessities such as suction in every room, or on code carts to be an unnecessary expenditure, I can't say I'm surprised. The benefits here are an expensive joke, with through-the-roof copays on the insurance, and poor coverage to boot.

Ochsner talks a great game, but never count on them to back it up.
Pros
constant security presence, free parking
Cons
Awful management, inept charge nurses, low morale, dangerous policies, low pay
Wonderful place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Kenner, LAJanuary 4, 2017
This organization has been wonderful for my nursing career. They encourage education and advancement. Great work life balance. Some of the benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, and 401K.
Summary
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 30, 2016
thoughtful,team player,learned something new everyday very tactful,always willing to learn and pick up new ideas,great and fair management is best way
Very Clean work enviornment
Rehab Services (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 28, 2016
Over all Ochsner encourages me to be my best. Working among different staff is a pleasure along with helping the patients and their families. They keep you up to par with on line learing. The hardest part of the job is not having enough equipment
Pros
Employee appreciation by the hospital
Cons
N/A
Its a horrible place they use you like dogs nurses do nothing
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 26, 2016
Its a horrible place they use you for a dream fake schedule and the nurses do nothing in the management doesn't care about your opinion they figure cause you getting paid well news flash pcts need more money because we did all the work while the nurses complain about the patients y are y'all nurses then just because we works with them they expect you to do everything with no team work everyones messy and you are under paid ochsner is very racist and will always be.... Its not fair no equal treatment and the parking is horrible they only care about the building not the patients in not the workers 3 min grace period are u fired on the spot they will work you like a dog n then fired after you worked all those hard 12 hours its sad
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
barley taking breaks
too much management, not enough workers
RN med surg telemetry (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 20, 2016
not enough hands on people doing the work, enough people telling you what you should be doing. Reverse bulleying promoted, racial preferences. Learned computer skills quickly. Learned telemetry, Encouraged me to further my education and to finally to complete
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
top heavy
This is part of the revenue cycle. Expect to work MONTH end even on weekends
PHYSICIAN CODER III (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 15, 2016
Department includes a diverse group of individuals applying excellent coding skills for multi specialties in one of the better known Gulf region of eastern Louisiana.
Pros
Department covers cost of corporate credentials with applicable training, and reimbursement for obtained credentials.
Cons
a diverse group of individuals can be overwhelming
Situational
Talent Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 13, 2016
I think you can really appreciate working for a company like Ochsner. It depends on the department you are in and the work you are doing that makes a difference in your work/life balance and your leadership.
Some departments are not as interested in you as a person. Others are fully vested.
I believe its all a bit situational.
Managment suck big time
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 9, 2016
I worked for Ochsner before this time with no problems at all in two different departments then I decided to resign wasn't bei g pay enough for the work they want the Techs to do. I came back in July to a "New" floor which was OK at first then it was down hill. If your not in their circle they will make all kind of lies about you and they will falsify documents to make a paper trail just so that they can terminated you. This "NEW" floor was the worst experience I've had and I get a long with everyone...
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
Too much butt kissing, low pay etc.
Great work environment
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 29, 2016
Great name with a great reputation unfortunately most workers are underpaid. Awesome teaching hospital a great starter job room for advancement with proper education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ochsner Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8