Ochsner Health System Employee Reviews in United States

A day on the floor
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 9, 2016
I enjoy working the NICU. It's a very family oriented place and people are quite friendly and understanding. Everyone welcomed me in with open arms. Right away I felt inspired to further my education in a medical degree of some sort. Currently taking prerequisites.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Low salary
Productive and family oriented place of work
Unit Director (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work is assuring adequate staff for patient care, I have learned the leadership role, management, and financial aspects of unit. I have had several different managers and have had to teach the DHH requirements and regulation. Family oriented and teamwork of the staff. The hardest part of the job is adequate staffing sometime. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing from the patient's their satisfaction in care.
Pros
Advancement to leadership role.
Cons
Change in management within 2 years.
My co-workers are amazing.
Case Management (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 7, 2016
The best part of my day is working with such amazing people. My co-workers are top-notch! I feel leadership has changed in the last few years making if feel like a factory job.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Poor leadership
Sleep Lab was my favorite department to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Slidell, LAApril 2, 2016
Our day start's by checking our work Q to see what new referral we have so we can call patient's to get them schedule for either a consultation or sleep study. I didn't know anything about sleep apnea when I first started. I learned how to what sleep apnea is and how it affect your health. And the importance of getting tested if you snore's, stop breathing while you sleep and wake up with headache's and gasping for air. This will take a toll on your heart and other organ's in your body. I learned how to discuss the sleep study results with the patient's. My co-worker toke her time to teach me how to read the sleep study and to schedule the appointment and to know weather a patient need a sleep study by reading the doctor note's. The hardest part of my job is finding out they are moving our department somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the people I work with, because we worked as team and supported each other.
Pros
learning new things and working with some great people
Cons
finding out they are moving our department in a month, and I want be working in this department anymore
fast paced place to work
Central Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Slidell, LAMarch 8, 2016
A day at work consists of delivering medical supplies throughout the hospital. good company to work for just my department does not have any room for advancement
Terrible administration
Registration (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 19, 2016
Leadership is terrible. They tell after a year you can transfer and will keep a hold on you. No chance for advancement. Insurance benefits are high.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
Insurance, vacation time, leadership
Fast paced environment with great responsibilities throughout the day.
Revenue Cycle Representative II/Administration (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 16, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Ochsner Health System. I worked at the main campus on Jefferson Highway. From the moment that I was on board, my knowledge about the health care industry has massively expanded. Everyday was a new learning experience. Even learned things that was not in training. Performed job duties that was not part of my position. Worked different departments in a timely manner.
The management was great. My manager, supervisor and the director of the admitting department was always present and always available to reach out their hands and help out whenever I came across any issues. As great as they all were, in all honesty, the management lacked in effort when it came to following their own core values. All that put aside, they are the kind of management that can definitely run a team accordingly.
My co-workers were always there to help as well. Never a dull moment with everyone that I worked with. Got along splendidly with every single one. Every one shared their experiences and tips to keep everything going as smooth as possible.
Ochsner was always busy. From left to right, responsibilities were always there to be fulfilled. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job was making sure that all of my duties and responsibilities were finished correctly and finished in time before it was asked of me. Working different departments, filling out different paper works, collecting all types of information and keeping everything on a reasonable pace was tough, but I always managed through it. All the hard work always payed off knowing that I executed my job
  more... right. Being confident that every patient was taken care of from my part on the next step of their visit was always the most enjoyable part of my day and the most important part of my job.  less
Pros
Had my own office, had my own office equipment and tools, worry free with parking, employee shuttle, 30 minute lunch, 15 minute break, created my own daily routine, took my lunch whenever.
Cons
Rude doctors, break room was always occupied, expensive food, dirty bathrooms
Great Learning Environment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luling, LAFebruary 10, 2016
Great people and management. There are lots of seminars and online learning for employees to better themselves & learn new techniques.
Great Co Workers
Orthopedic Surgery Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 7, 2016
This was a great place to start my nursing career. I found that the margin for growth was small and my change to increase my salary was limited.
Pros
Paid time off, good benefits
Cons
under staffed, low pay
Ochsner
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Harahan, LAJanuary 27, 2016
Checking in members and using CSI to ring things up.
I learned to work at a fast pace and learn fast.
I am currently a manager
My co-workers are great to work with.
Pros
free elmwood fitness membership
Cons
terrible pay

Want to know more about Ochsner Health System?

Ask a question
Ok company but no chance to grow
Sale Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LAJanuary 27, 2016
Worked in the retail department as a sales associate. There's absolutely no opportunity to grow in that field. Management is poor, staff was lazy, management have their favorites. Staff in the hospital are rude, doctors and nurses..not all but most. In order for you to transfer to another department you are stuck in that filed for a year. Good luck. Dead end job.
Pros
Off Sundays
Cons
Management, staff and expensive benefits
Good techs to work with
Ochsner Northshore Imaging (Former Employee) –  2013 NorthshoreJanuary 16, 2016
No personal time, ever! They did not have anyone to cover shifts for vacation. Extremely poor management. Safety was not a priority. I was scared that someone would get hurt, just a matter of time. I could not be part of the mayhem any longer. There were no policies in place for the department.
Pros
I worked with great techs.
Cons
Poor management, They are the blind leading the blind, Management insist that unsafe practices be proformed on a routine basis
Train then move on
rn (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, LAJanuary 11, 2016
Get ready for a one-year carousel ride use them to be trained in your field of choice. Then go get the job you really want. Ochsner has the most jobs posted because they have the most turnover in this market.
Pros
Unable to think of any right now
Cons
Management, unbalanced workload, etc...
I enjoy rounding with patients
Environmental Service Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Jefferson Parish, LAJanuary 8, 2016
My day is fully busy I start viewing important emails, round with my supervisor and staff. I visited patients and inspected overall cleanliness of patient rooms and public areas. Daily meeting with my coworkers and direct manager. My hardest duty was when I have to discipline an employee that has done a repeated error. My most enjoyable part of my job is helping others.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
High medical insurance rates
Interesting Place to work.
Revenue Cycle Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kenner, LAJanuary 3, 2016
Doing what is necessary to satisfy patient's needs. Learning more about the healthcare network and all that it requires.

Comment – March 18, 2016

Horrible place to work. Lack of truth in what you apply for. Management only care about numbers, not patient care OR their employees. Once heard manager call us BODIES instead of individuals. The atmosphere is thick with tension, there are those that are only there to help themselves and there 0 room for advancement. Major disappointment. Tried for years to get on with this company. I finally get on, and received the WORST working experience in my 20+ years of working. Very disappointing. Saw some of the BEST workers leave to find other employment elsewhere due to the lack of respect they received. Not to mention management consistently gave false hope about room for advancement when there initially never was. Hoping that individuals that are interested in joining this institution read these views! Please make sure that before you decided to waste a year, decade or a century of your life here, that you read the fine print and please read between the lines!

Geting a paycheck
security officer (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAJanuary 3, 2016
Management don't have your back. Hospital employees blame security for any, and everything. Always having to watch over your shoulder for backstabbers. This company is basic about, having a kill or be kill mentality.
Pros
Getting a paycheck!!!
Cons
Rude, and racist staff members, dead end job no more for advancement.
great place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 25, 2015
as a RN, this system provides many opportunities to explore options for nurses to advance. It also provides great job security. Senior leadership makes themselves present and keeps employees informed on goals for the organization.
Pros
great work culture
Cons
compensation in pay is sometimes less than competitors
Productive and efficient workplace that showed appreciation to employees
Ambassador/Nurse Liason (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 18, 2015
Productive and efficient workplace that showed appreciation to employees. There were incentives for years worked and employees/patients could recommend awards for outstanding service.
Good People Organizatio In progress
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 12, 2015
Ochsner was in the process of building out new analytics team. It suffered some growing pain, however, the team and resources were great.
It really is as bad as these reviews say!
facilities (Former Employee) –  benson towerNovember 4, 2015
These are the people who will kill your soul. If they could make robots to do the work, they would. They do not value new ideas, change, passion, or actual discussion. Their HR director is horrible; their hiring system is degrading; their idea of leadership is a dictatorship. Even though I was brought in for my great depth of experience, I was disrespected. I was told to not mention that I had expertise in an area because it made others "feel bad". Very socialistic, that is, do not try to excel or be unique in any way.
My department was run by snakes who I think were being paid under the table by certain vendors.

I was promised much, but the politics of the established people in the department over ruled - and then I was given the "left overs". Fish definitely rots from the head down!
Pros
You get to say you worked there?
Cons
mean spirited people