Ochsner Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Ok company but no chance to grow
Sale Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LAJanuary 27, 2016
Worked in the retail department as a sales associate. There's absolutely no opportunity to grow in that field. Management is poor, staff was lazy, management have their favorites. Staff in the hospital are rude, doctors and nurses..not all but most. In order for you to transfer to another department you are stuck in that filed for a year. Good luck. Dead end job.
Pros
Off Sundays
Cons
Management, staff and expensive benefits
Terrible administration
Registration (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 19, 2016
Leadership is terrible. They tell after a year you can transfer and will keep a hold on you. No chance for advancement. Insurance benefits are high.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
Insurance, vacation time, leadership
great place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 25, 2015
as a RN, this system provides many opportunities to explore options for nurses to advance. It also provides great job security. Senior leadership makes themselves present and keeps employees informed on goals for the organization.
Pros
great work culture
Cons
compensation in pay is sometimes less than competitors
Great Co Workers
Orthopedic Surgery Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 7, 2016
This was a great place to start my nursing career. I found that the margin for growth was small and my change to increase my salary was limited.
Pros
Paid time off, good benefits
Cons
under staffed, low pay
All about THEIR money and taking EVERY1 elses
Technician (Current Employee) –  Ochsner Main CampusAugust 15, 2015
By far, the worst hospital I have ever worked for:
1. LOW PAY (1, 3, and 5% isnt a raise in my book and to get 5% you better make every family member sick, admit them into the hospital and hope that surgery is needed)
2. NO CHANCE OF ADVANCEMENT (Hire outside of facility instead of promoting the hard workers busting their butts 40+ hrs a week)
3. MEDICAL BENEFITS SUCK (Dont get sick and visit the ER while at work. Your co pay will be $ 200.00
4. DONT CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES (if they did they would use their money and figure out why everyone is quitting instead of expanding the hospital by 6 floors and being extremely short staffed.
5. MANAGEMENT👎👎 (1 word explains it all...JOKE)
Pros
Happy hour @ Recovery Room Bar and Grille across the street (Your going to need it)
Cons
I could go on forever!
Do not apply to work here
Secretary (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 11, 2015
I worked here for several years. Management is horrible and refuse to even greet you in the morning and basically ignores you unless they want you to do a favor. High turnover, the Physicians are not even happy with management. Human Resources is extremely incompetent and do nothing to help you. You feel like you're all alone when issues arise. They hire managers from their fellows program who have had little or NO work experience. They do not know how to deal with a diverse organization. I regret the time I wasted working there! They like to brag about how they're a great place to work at, NOT TRUE!
Pros
Pay was ok, benefits can be better
Cons
Horrible management
Call Center Catastrophe
PACS Representative (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LouisianaSeptember 7, 2015
Inbound call center with very upbeat and supportive colleagues. Management can use a revamp. However this can become the case in an evergrowing environment who's leadership never changes to fit the needs of the department. I most loved my personal return out of the job, which was helping the patients directly and through the training I rendered to employees.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Short lunches and micromanagement
Do not work here!!
Clinic and Hospital Registration (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 1, 2016
Right from day one this company fills your head with lies about advancement opportunities,how you can increase your pay in your position,how great the insurance benefits are and as soon as you start working everything they promised is a LIE!!! they stick you in a position and management turn on you and find any and every opportunity to keep you stuck in that dead end spot. supervisors advance favorites and promote anyone off the street instead of the employees who has been working there for years. Doctors are miserable,nurses are a joke,the care they provided is uncaring and horrible!!They treat the sick like trash but if your well off with money and known in the city they roll out the red carpet. This hospital should be shutdown to say the least.
A con from the start
Arrhythmia Diagnostic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Main Campus Jefferson HighwayJuly 4, 2015
At first you're promised the world. Especially in advancement . Once you finally know your role in the department, your duties begin like a rat race. In order to advance you have to have time to shadow. I mean their slogan is to educate right? Well I was so bombarded with work I simply never had time to shadow anyone. The employees who've worked there only know how to work their system in order to stay alive. VERY clique - ish , if you are not part of " that good old boys" you don't fit in. If you don't backstab others you don't make it. If you don't kiss butt you don't make it. The raises are the tax on a cheeseburger! From the time I was hired we went through 1 lead RN. As well as 2 department managers. The job duties NEVER MATCHED what you are actually doing! I recently saw my old manager in a Subway... He wouldn't even speak to me! But started talking loudly about the partnership they have with the current hospital I work for. St. Tammany hospital. Just childish. I was even written up for not completing someone else's work!
Pros
Doctors are great at teaching, when they have time.
Cons
Low pay, discrepancy in job duties, high turnover management.
Horrible workplace
Revenue Cycle Rep 3 (Current Employee) –  Benson TowersMay 14, 2015
As the previous reviewer said, this is the worst job ever. Upper management does not know what it really means to have work ethic. Ochsner has a high turnover rate. It does not matter what department you work in, they are all horrible. I know people from various deparments and various locations and they all operate the same. NO COMMUNICATION,HIGH TURN OVER, UNREALISTIC GOALS (productivity), horrible pay for the amount of the work load,etc. I work in Hospital Revenue Cycle at Benson. If you make it there past two years you are doing great. It is so hard to advance there unless you are a kiss up (if you know what I mean). They will block you from further advancement. My co-workers are warm,caring, and more like a big family. Your GPT,sick,and vacation time are combined all into one. You only get a raise once a year and it's no more than 3%. Your merits isn't applied to your check until the next quarter. So if you start in July, your raise wont be on your check until the next quarter which is three months from July. Also, your raise is split amongst you and everyone else who started at the same time as you.
Just mediocre
Revenue Cycle Representative (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 25, 2015
I worked for this company for 4 years the worst years of my life!!! I watched hundreds of people leave this place over the years... It's a revolving door. Management is horrible across the board. My supervisor threatened me in FRONT OF THE DEPARTMENTS DIRCECTOR and he did nothing human resources did nothing .. They low ball compensation. Medical benefits are high and not that good.. Not a place to make a career out of...one year they only have us 1% raise claiming that was to make sure ppl didn't loose their jobs but brought 2 medical buildings rite after
Pros
none really, it's a big company
Cons
poor management, low compensation
Productive and family oriented place of work
Unit Director (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work is assuring adequate staff for patient care, I have learned the leadership role, management, and financial aspects of unit. I have had several different managers and have had to teach the DHH requirements and regulation. Family oriented and teamwork of the staff. The hardest part of the job is adequate staffing sometime. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing from the patient's their satisfaction in care.
Pros
Advancement to leadership role.
Cons
Change in management within 2 years.
Sleep Lab was my favorite department to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Slidell, LAApril 2, 2016
Our day start's by checking our work Q to see what new referral we have so we can call patient's to get them schedule for either a consultation or sleep study. I didn't know anything about sleep apnea when I first started. I learned how to what sleep apnea is and how it affect your health. And the importance of getting tested if you snore's, stop breathing while you sleep and wake up with headache's and gasping for air. This will take a toll on your heart and other organ's in your body. I learned how to discuss the sleep study results with the patient's. My co-worker toke her time to teach me how to read the sleep study and to schedule the appointment and to know weather a patient need a sleep study by reading the doctor note's. The hardest part of my job is finding out they are moving our department somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the people I work with, because we worked as team and supported each other.
Pros
learning new things and working with some great people
Cons
finding out they are moving our department in a month, and I want be working in this department anymore
Terrible Employer!!
NP (Former Employee) –  Baton RougeMay 4, 2015
Ochsner is a culture of poor management. Upper management has no clue how to treat employees. They are out of touch with reality and do not listen to your needs. They make decisions on their own without any input from staff. No respect for employees is why they have such a high turnover. This includes turnovers of Physicians, PAs, NPs, etc. Compensation, benefits, CME reimbursement etc is not even competitive. The Best thing I did was leave to work for another local hospital, Our lady of the lake.
Pros
not much
Cons
management, poor nurse attitudes
Very low paying, very little put back into the laboratory employees.
lab technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 3, 2015
Laboratory Sciences:
Salaries are the lowest in the state.
No money put into the employees in terms of technical or career development.
Don't expect to go to any conferences or seminars.
They will not pay for any licensing or educational fees.
Equipment is very old but they do have service contracts. Consumables are readily available.
The rallies from upper management is just lip service and does not translate to anything for the workers.
Pros
Organization will be around a while
Cons
Extremely cheap.
Great work place.
Registration Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 13, 2015
Great work place and awesome management. Opportunity for growth and flexibility in schedule. Benefits such as; health, life and dental. Employee Tuition Assistance Program.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Geting a paycheck
security officer (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAJanuary 3, 2016
Management don't have your back. Hospital employees blame security for any, and everything. Always having to watch over your shoulder for backstabbers. This company is basic about, having a kill or be kill mentality.
Pros
Getting a paycheck!!!
Cons
Rude, and racist staff members, dead end job no more for advancement.
Career Opportunities
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 15, 2016
Ochsner is an awesome place to work with an incredible culture of truly caring about people and the patients. As an employee, I know what I do here matters - and that is so special.

The career advancement opportunities here are exceptional and internal promotions and moves are encouraged. I have been here over 5 years and have been able to grow both professionally and personally!
Good techs to work with
Ochsner Northshore Imaging (Former Employee) –  2013 NorthshoreJanuary 16, 2016
No personal time, ever! They did not have anyone to cover shifts for vacation. Extremely poor management. Safety was not a priority. I was scared that someone would get hurt, just a matter of time. I could not be part of the mayhem any longer. There were no policies in place for the department.
Pros
I worked with great techs.
Cons
Poor management, They are the blind leading the blind, Management insist that unsafe practices be proformed on a routine basis
Don't take it
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 16, 2016
Management will throw you under the bus for everything. They enjoy getting rid of their best workers. Turn over rate is Ridiculous. Some co workers are very scary and don't back you up at all. Do not work for Main Campus. Maybe other places would be better
Pros
Cons
Management, scary co workers

2.9