Odyl is a New York City-based startup that connects authors and publishers with readers. Our flagship technology powers the Facebook presence of many NY Times Bestselling authors and all of the Big Six publishers (and our clients love us). We're located in the heart of SoHo. Odyl is continually innovating new ways for authors to grow their audience and for readers to find amazing books.
Our product development is defined by a lean and agile development philosophy. We embrace the cloud and continuous deployment and are not afraid to try something new, and throw it out if it doesn't work.
You are an engineer who has experience building and scaling, secure web applications in the cloud. You know how to solve tech problems by looking at new possibilities rather than trying to keep patching the old stuff. You know how to work with web APIs and Big Data. You take pride in building systems to automate tedious tasks. You've been doing DevOps since the term's been around.
At Odyl, you'll be working on maintaining and scaling the frameworks and systems that power our software platforms. You will be evaluating and implementing new technologies to fit our needs, and take responsibility for making sure our apps are as fast as possible. Your background should include:
- 3+ years developing web applications, including significant experience architecting and managing public-facing systems (even better, if you've got a CS degree)
- A multi-lingual programming background. Ruby and UNIX shell scripts are a must, but they're only part of your toolkit.
- You're not a designer, but you should know HTML and jQuery.
- Experience working with Amazon AWS (EC2, S3, CloudFront, Elastic MapReduce, etc.)
- Experience managing MySQL servers. You don't need to be a DBA, but you should understand security, storage, and tuning basics.
- Experience with git and automated deployment frameworks
- Solid UNIX fundamentals, and a familiarity with Windows Server
- Strong communication abilities and enthusiasm to work with a cross-functional product development team are essential
Even better, you:
- Understand the Facebook API
- Have worked with Heroku
- Have worked with NoSQL implementations like Hadoop and CouchDb
- Know some .NET
This is a full-time job with compensation commensurate with experience. You must be eligible to work in the U.S..