Odyssey Hospice Employee Reviews

Odyssey
Hospice Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXMay 17, 2017
Most rewarding, learning experience also, great nurses to work under and lots of building on skills. This was by far my favorite job and will go back to the hospice world once I obtain my rn.
Hospice
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
End-of-life care for terminal patients, IV Care, wound and dressing changes, coordinated with Physicians, families, and team to order medication and administer treatment
OK place to work. Seemed to choose nurses over other emplTired when making decisions.
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 13, 2017
No longer in the Wichita area

I was the admissions coordinator. The admissions nurse quit the day after I started. I had to fight with the nurses to do admissions. I finally had to get the director of nursing to make the nurses go do admissions. Very frustrating. I quit because I missed patient care
Pros
Some good employees
Cons
Frustrating. Taking nurses over other employees
some days are better than others
clinical staff (Current Employee) –  texasMay 1, 2017
Everything is about the numbers, and how they can get more out of each employee. large case loads with will prn help. expect to get work done with in 8 hours , overtime is frowned upon, after an 8 hour day you have to take call that cover the entire service area
Pros
paid holidays
benefits
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 7, 2017
Great hours. Good management team skills, good communication skills. Bonus checks. Good insurance plans. Lovely team to work for.
great place
LVN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2017
when this was odyssey, it was great, afterwards it became very cold and impersonal. jobs and hrs were cut and management became hard to communicate with. all perks and fun was taken away. it went from family atmosphere to egg shell walking fear.
Pros
working with great patients
Cons
new take over
Very productive and compassionate work environment
Hospice Aide/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NEJanuary 18, 2017
Odyssey Hospice was an amazing workplace, I was taking school classes so I became per diem and those positions were laid off which led to me being a stay at home parent. I cannot begin to explain the gratification and humility a position like Hospice Aide has on a human being but it will forever help me to work closer with and be more understanding to others.
Odyssey Hospice
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 9, 2016
Worked here for 2 years and the company was bought out by Vista Care Hospice. I gained good hospice knowledge with this company but it was time to move on.
Productive fun work place
a) Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78212October 13, 2016
Please refer to the above review with Heartland Hospice. Not much different from one hospice to another. The interdisciplinary team discuss patient psychosocial needs and meet them as soon as possible depending on individual patient/family circumstances. The strength perspective is used most of the time to facilitate patient/caregivers empowerment process from the admission date to the discharge either at the death of the pt, revocation, or when pt no longer meet hospice criteria to continue under hospice care. The bereavement process with bereaved family last 13 months post the death of the pt. Social workers or bereavement coordinators do the phone calls follow-ups to assess family coping issues. Referrals to bereavement centers are provided to the family members who request them.
Pros
Free lunchs from time to time
Cons
Short breaks
volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJuly 20, 2016
At a nursing home; just going there to keep someone company, do activities and etc.
At home care; going to someone house to do light housekeeping duties
Pros
gave me something to do and learn something
Cons
patients die and moved
Stressful but icredibly rewarding
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX 78411July 6, 2016
Give information about hospice to patients or families, conduct family meetings for information and legals, coordinate between hospital,patient,and hospice personnel, Order equipment. Must conduct yourself with integrity and compassion. There are often many family dynamics to consider. Making the patient comfortable and gaining the families trust is a good feeling.
Staffs were awesome employees to work with.
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
Everyone I worked with were very professional. Enjoyed going to work there and making a difference in patients and family lives. Very good company to work with. Great pay with benefits.
Pros
attended wkly meetings
Cons
Very rewarding working with the dying and families.
Crisis Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAOctober 16, 2015
I had a very good experience working in Hospice. This is a very rewarding. I got so close to so many families. I enjoyed the work, the workplace and all aspects of this company. The company was sold and I had to look for employment elsewhere.
Pros
Management was the top
Cons
Sometimes I would have a patient that was quite far away.
A typical day
RN (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 13, 2015
Although I value the end of life process in Hospice. The in-patient facility was not for me. I felt as though I was not doing everything I wanted to do for a person in there last moments on earth. Only two RN's for 14 bed operation. This was end of life, person in crisis and respite care so extremely busy.
Pros
Great facility and staff
Cons
Too much time spend passing medictions and not bedside with dying pts.
Great Company woth Excellent staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  VAAugust 10, 2015
Volunteer and training work only but I have learned alot volunteering here including office admin asst and also medical training. Very good company and have excellent staff.
Prductive and Challenging
Account Executive/Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 13, 2015
On a daily basis I had my agenda ready to go out and get Admissions, I learned that everyday is a new opportunity to make a positive difference in someone's life.
My co-workers were very supportive and very hard working people.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with Insurance Providers and the most enjoyable part of my job is that I meet many professional people almost on a daily basis.
Pros
no clocking in
Cons
use own vehicle
Certified Nurse Assistant
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 8, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company it would work with me with my military schedule. I enjoyed my job overall because I enjoy helping people. The relationships build with patient and nurse assistant was probably what I enjoyed best just because once I build that trust i was able to help then get the help they needed easier.
Great introduction to Hospice and Home Health
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  S Daytona, FLJune 17, 2015
This job was a great way to introduce me to Hospice as well as Home Health. I learned new ways to manage my time, and to work productively unsupervised. It was a new company at the time and has since been taken over by Gentiva.
Pros
learned alot of new things
Great hospice
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 13, 2015
Odyssey was a great place to work for. I learned a lot about the health care business, and met some tremendous people while working there.
This job is very rewarding when you can help someone go to heaven with dignity.
LVN/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  2001 Bates Dr. Waxahachie, Tx. 75165March 30, 2015
While doing continuous care, I come into the home and give compassion to the patient and also the family. I explain the disease process. What symptoms may include to help the family know to expect so they are not so suprized if it happens. I give pallative care to individuals to minimize symptoms and make as comfortable. Comfort is the #1 priority of my job. I learned a lot about hospice from the RNs. They are very intelligent and well knowledge of the disease process. The hardest part of the job is when a patient passes away. I really enjoy listening to the families tell stories about what they were like when they were younger.
Pros
To help the family cope with the loss of their loved on. most of all, to keep the patient comfortable.
Cons
To see the families grieve and to see the patient uncomfortable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Odyssey Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.