Odyssey Hospice

Odyssey Hospice Employer Reviews

Jack of all trades
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee), Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: constantly learning for the medical directors, speaking to the patients
Cons: huge staff turnover
Typical day starts 8am-5pm. Fielding calls from staff, patients' and family members. Ordering of all medical supplies and equipment. I enjoyed getting to know the patients' on service and taking this journey with them.
poor managment. poor morale
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2015
good coworkers, frequent turnover.declining census, loved working with the patients. Too much management not letting you do your job.
Working for Hospice under any conditions in my opinion is rewardinging
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Ocala, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: low wages
Typical schedule was Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm with lunch of 30mins.

Started out in morning stand up meeting and listen to report from overnight or from weekend and turn in paper work and call patients to set up visits for the day.

Rest of the day was spent primarily in the filed doing visits with patients and families.

Co workers were good to work with.

Caring for the patients and families was the best part of this job.
Enjoyed working here.
Programmer II (Former Employee), Richardson, TexasDecember 15, 2014
This was a great starting area. I really enjoyed the people.
Good compensation and benefits.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Southfield, MINovember 12, 2014
Pros: good compensation and hours.
Cons: high caseload.
The caseload per nurse was very high, up to 25 patients. Supplies were not provided quickly enough for the patients. Wound care items were insufficient in more complex cases. The co-workers were very nice and pleasant to work with.
learned so much valuable information
Admissions Nurse (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 3, 2014
Pros: great place to learn
Cons: long hours interfered with home life
This was a great place to start in Hospice. I learned so much about how hospice works and what advantages we offered. I was mostly the first line of information to the clients as I admitted them to hospice and the patients and families were grateful to hear answers to their questions. It is not an easy thing to put a family member in hospice. I enjoyed making families ease their minds that they were making the right choice when the medical facts pointed in that direction. The case managers and support staff were great. We had great chaplains and Social Workers. Overall a great place to work and learn.
Odyssey Hospice, inpatient hospice unit
inpatient hospice unit, RN (Former Employee), Houston, TexasOctober 28, 2014
Pros: felt good about helping patients and their families during their own personal crisis
Cons: very sad and depressing
Educated patients and families about the hospice philosophy, levels of care, potential barriers, team and family responsibilities, provided emotional support & counseling, completed admissions, performed physical/psychological assessments, explained/obtained consents, obtained MD orders
You were spread way too thin and there was inconsistent management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax and Loudoun CountiesOctober 17, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: poor management
I would see 5 patients daily and learned how to manage a variety of symptoms with cost effective treatments. Management was very inconsistent and no one stayed in the position for very long. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient that you had gotten to know very well and the most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in patients and families lives.
I felt very good that I could keep Patient and Family aware of what was going on.
RN,BSN Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee), Southfield, MIOctober 14, 2014
Pros: helping patient and families to know what to expect during dying process
Cons: constantly being texted when driving. not allowing time for breaks
Management was happy as long as you were willing to work overtime without pay. Did not like any Criticism. They will give a gift if you do all they want, if not will fire you.
does not value their employees
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Petersburg, VASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: flexable schedule
Cons: carrying paperwork home and pressured to get no overtime
This was a nice place to work before Gentiva bought the company. It's goals seemed to change then. The goals went for patient care and employee satisfaction in their job and company to money and growth. The executive director wastes time and money micro-managing people who know their jobs and don't need such close management
n/a
Certified Home Health Aide (Former Employee), San Diego CaliforniaSeptember 14, 2014
Loved working with Odyssey the problem was having to drive my car everywhere.
Staffing issues, not alot of work, clean, well organized facility to work, good company.
LVN (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: good job security
Cons: staffing
Good company, enjoyed the one to one patient care, management was very organized, requiring weekly meetings to update patient care, in-services mandated to update skills on safety of patients and nursing staff.
Dallas based company that merged with Gentiva
Outside Sales/Community Education Representative (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: first hospice company to work for
Cons: company was not committed to the br market.
Was with the company a short time... When I started to census was at 20... was asked to help get the census up, got it to 80 in a short time and after merger company decided to close agencies that were not at 100 or above census.
I loved hospice.
RN Hospice Care (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 24, 2014
Pros: great personal satisfaction and learning
Cons: new management
I worked with many fine people. Once again, management changed.
I am a team player 100%. Co worker need a hand I am there
Medical Record Coordinator (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 1, 2014
Pros: always working
Cons: short staff
A typical day at work is say Good Morning to everyone. Organized my day to what need to get out. Go to morning meeting to get a heads up on patients status. Then head back to my desk to start my day of work. My co-workers are in the same area as me. RN, CNA and Doctor are my buddies on daily task. We all get along.
Then only thing that is a big task is squeezing all the demand of management and corporation. To make sure that is what they want and expect out of me.
I enjoy my job in the medical field. Even though I do not physically touch the patient I know that my job is important to the patient care.
Strong Management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJune 26, 2014
They have a great leader in their administrator, strong supportive team, and a great staff environment.
Met needs of hospice patients.
Medical Social Worker-Hospice (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 15, 2014
Pros: making a difference in the lives of terminally ill patients and their family members.
Cons: no continuing education funding.
In working with terminally ill patients and family members, there we long, but rewarding days. I have very high regard and respect for the elderly/matured population and having the opportunity to serve as a hospice Medical Social Worker was very rewarding, yet at times sorrowful. I have developed lasting relationships with many of my co-workers which made the job easier at times. Through this process, I've reaffirmed what I've always known, no matter he length, "life is short".
Productive and greate place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXMarch 17, 2014
Performed as a charge nurse in the In-Patient Unit and took care of patients in a crisis, such as pain, shortness of breath, and patients who were actively dying. Helped take care of patients admitted for respite care and caregiver breakdown. Worked collaboratively with all hospice team members to help patients and family members meet their end-of-life goals. Performed skills such as assessments, vital signs, wound care, administered medications ordered ,and pronounced patients upon their death. Admitted and discharged patients per policy, and provided timely documentation of patient services based on plan of care. Provided education to the patients and families about disease progression, medications, and end-of-life care. Learned how to provide comfort, and ease suffering by providing emotional support when needed.
Great work Enviornment
SUPERVISOR, Tanya Perryman (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2014
Pros: working with the elderly
Cons: patients passing away
Great Patients, and Co- Workers made a lovely work day. My patients were so awesome to work for, everyday spent with my patients was a wonderful experience no matter how much longer I had with them until there final day.
Great learning experience in working with people
Registered Professional Nurse (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: being treated as part of the family.
Cons: many times working from friday evening to monday morning with little or no sleep.
On call Hospice Nurse. Extensive travelling on weekends to individual homes and facilities for pain control, end of life crises, pronouncements and final arrangements, general medical care. Could have used a little more assistance sometimes when there were multiple crises events at the same time. Very difficult to say good bye after becoming attached to some of the families and patients. Hospice families are wonderful to work with especially when their loved ones are treated with respect and love.

1 2 3 4

About Odyssey Hospice

Odyssey HealthCare¬†provides comfort for patients in the final stages of life's journey. One of the nation's largest hospice care – Read more

Odyssey Hospice Salaries