Odyssey Hospice Employee Reviews in United States

Very rewarding working with the dying and families.
Crisis Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAOctober 16, 2015
I had a very good experience working in Hospice. This is a very rewarding. I got so close to so many families. I enjoyed the work, the workplace and all aspects of this company. The company was sold and I had to look for employment elsewhere.
Pros
Management was the top
Cons
Sometimes I would have a patient that was quite far away.
A typical day
RN (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 13, 2015
Although I value the end of life process in Hospice. The in-patient facility was not for me. I felt as though I was not doing everything I wanted to do for a person in there last moments on earth. Only two RN's for 14 bed operation. This was end of life, person in crisis and respite care so extremely busy.
Pros
Great facility and staff
Cons
Too much time spend passing medictions and not bedside with dying pts.
productive, fun workplace
Clinical Liaison (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 9, 2013
My position has me out in the field, so there is minimal office time. I learned how to improve and build my time management skills as well as how to become a self starter. This job will help build self confidence if you lack in that area, as well as how to meet the needs of everyone you encounter. I learned how to show the beauty and respect that the end of life journey deserves as well as how the gift of hospice can bring families together and focus the care on the most importatnt person in the room.. the patient. The hardest part of my job is that it is 24 hours..your work cell must be on at all times. On the other hand the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people whether its a home visit or a hospital visit. This job allows me to build relationships with an array of different cultures and personalities.
Pros
being out in the field
Cons
mandatory on call every week, including weekends
Prductive and Challenging
Account Executive/Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 13, 2015
On a daily basis I had my agenda ready to go out and get Admissions, I learned that everyday is a new opportunity to make a positive difference in someone's life.
My co-workers were very supportive and very hard working people.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with Insurance Providers and the most enjoyable part of my job is that I meet many professional people almost on a daily basis.
Pros
no clocking in
Cons
use own vehicle
learned so much valuable information
Admissions Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 3, 2014
This was a great place to start in Hospice. I learned so much about how hospice works and what advantages we offered. I was mostly the first line of information to the clients as I admitted them to hospice and the patients and families were grateful to hear answers to their questions. It is not an easy thing to put a family member in hospice. I enjoyed making families ease their minds that they were making the right choice when the medical facts pointed in that direction. The case managers and support staff were great. We had great chaplains and Social Workers. Overall a great place to work and learn.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
long hours interfered with home life
Staffing issues, not alot of work, clean, well organized facility to work, good company.
LVN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 6, 2014
Good company, enjoyed the one to one patient care, management was very organized, requiring weekly meetings to update patient care, in-services mandated to update skills on safety of patients and nursing staff.
Pros
good job security
Cons
staffing
Great Company woth Excellent staff
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  VAAugust 10, 2015
Volunteer and training work only but I have learned alot volunteering here including office admin asst and also medical training. Very good company and have excellent staff.
Certified Nurse Assistant
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 8, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company it would work with me with my military schedule. I enjoyed my job overall because I enjoy helping people. The relationships build with patient and nurse assistant was probably what I enjoyed best just because once I build that trust i was able to help then get the help they needed easier.
This job is very rewarding when you can help someone go to heaven with dignity.
LVN/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  2001 Bates Dr. Waxahachie, Tx. 75165March 30, 2015
While doing continuous care, I come into the home and give compassion to the patient and also the family. I explain the disease process. What symptoms may include to help the family know to expect so they are not so suprized if it happens. I give pallative care to individuals to minimize symptoms and make as comfortable. Comfort is the #1 priority of my job. I learned a lot about hospice from the RNs. They are very intelligent and well knowledge of the disease process. The hardest part of the job is when a patient passes away. I really enjoy listening to the families tell stories about what they were like when they were younger.
Pros
To help the family cope with the loss of their loved on. most of all, to keep the patient comfortable.
Cons
To see the families grieve and to see the patient uncomfortable.
Above average job
Certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Ocala FlJune 23, 2013
I loved working for Hospice. They have a great company. But the employees were so great to work with. Hardest part was people passing. Management was super sweet. I love the benefits and schedule
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no team work
I am a team player 100%. Co worker need a hand I am there
Medical Record Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 1, 2014
A typical day at work is say Good Morning to everyone. Organized my day to what need to get out. Go to morning meeting to get a heads up on patients status. Then head back to my desk to start my day of work. My co-workers are in the same area as me. RN, CNA and Doctor are my buddies on daily task. We all get along.
Then only thing that is a big task is squeezing all the demand of management and corporation. To make sure that is what they want and expect out of me.
I enjoy my job in the medical field. Even though I do not physically touch the patient I know that my job is important to the patient care.
Pros
always working
Cons
short staff
Great company to work for with flexible schedules.
Certified Hospice and Palliative Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OhioJuly 7, 2012
A typical day at work with Odyssey was very rewarding. the appreciation and gratitude I received from my patients were phenomenal. I would drive to several nursing facilities, and provide personal care to patients that was at the end of life journey. I learned how not to take life for granted. You never know when your time on earth may come to an end. The management team was very professional at all times. You could count on management to solve any issues that were at hand. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers they pitch in and helped out whenever necessary. The hardest part of my job was losing a patient to death. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing at the end of the day i helped someone in need.
Pros
monthly meeting, employee appreciation, and patient to aide ratio
Cons
driving long distance at times, pay rate
You were spread way too thin and there was inconsistent management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax and Loudoun CountiesOctober 17, 2014
I would see 5 patients daily and learned how to manage a variety of symptoms with cost effective treatments. Management was very inconsistent and no one stayed in the position for very long. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was losing a patient that you had gotten to know very well and the most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in patients and families lives.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
poor management
Great introduction to Hospice and Home Health
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  S Daytona, FLJune 17, 2015
This job was a great way to introduce me to Hospice as well as Home Health. I learned new ways to manage my time, and to work productively unsupervised. It was a new company at the time and has since been taken over by Gentiva.
Pros
learned alot of new things
big office
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 17, 2012
the office I work at is very racist. the management shows favortism to certain employees. friends and family members were hired in with no skills
Pros
good pay and benefits. free soft drinks and coffee
Cons
poor management, too much work
Fun place to work.
Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 6, 2013
Usually worked 40/week plus on-call rotation. Management was quick to reward employees who excelled.
Pros
lots of salary incentives/rewards
Cons
was difficult losing patients.
I felt very good that I could keep Patient and Family aware of what was going on.
RN,BSN Hospice Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 14, 2014
Management was happy as long as you were willing to work overtime without pay. Did not like any Criticism. They will give a gift if you do all they want, if not will fire you.
Pros
helping patient and families to know what to expect during dying process
Cons
constantly being texted when driving. not allowing time for breaks
does not value their employees
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 18, 2014
This was a nice place to work before Gentiva bought the company. It's goals seemed to change then. The goals went for patient care and employee satisfaction in their job and company to money and growth. The executive director wastes time and money micro-managing people who know their jobs and don't need such close management
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
carrying paperwork home and pressured to get no overtime
Management and staff care about each other like a family
On Call RN (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLOctober 20, 2012
I love working with hospice pts and their families and using my skills to assess pts/situations to help everyone during this difficult time.
I feel like we really help people--for example its very rewarding to have someone come on hospice service and tell you that they feel better than they have in months, after you've adjusted their meds to get their symptoms managed.
Management supports us in the varied time needed to do good patient care, and my co-workers are all team players.
Enjoyable workplace
Registered Nurse/Case (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OhioNovember 24, 2013
I am responsible for any emergencies that happen from Friday at 5pm to Monday at 8am.
A typical day at my job is being called to nursing facility for an emergency and working with the facility nurse and MD to "fix" the issue. I also get called to patients homes. When I am called to the home I will assess the issue and work with MD to make patient more comfortable.
I have learned how to work as a team with all different kinds of teams. I have also learned how to work on my own.
The management at Odyssey Hospice is wonderful. They give you the tools you need to do your job. They have an open door policy and are available when you need them.
I have a terrific set of co-workers. They have a great deal of compassion for the patients and are very hard workers. They will step and help each other when needed and always there with a positive work of encouragement.
The hardest part of my job is the area of responsibility. I am the only RN on over the weekend. If the calls come in from different ends of my area the driving and the time spent driving can get tough.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people and their families in a tough time of their lives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Odyssey Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.