Odyssey House

Odyssey House Employer Reviews

Great Team Work
Entitlement/Admission/Discharge Coordinator (Current Employee), Harbor, NYNovember 4, 2014
I have worked with many great people at Odyssey House Harbor and we all have worked great together as a team. I have moved from Case Manager to Entitlement/Admission and Discharge Coordinator. One thing I can say is that Odyssey House does believe in advancement from within.
productive
Senior Coordinator (Volunteer) (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 31, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: n/a
I'm grateful for the experience ,I've improved my ability to work with clients .the supervisors were great to work with and very helpful. I enjoyed helping the clients .
fun and productive place to get clean and sober
House Supervisor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 6, 2014
inpatient place where i learned a lot about myself and how to handle things in life in the most appropriate ways.
I enjoy interacting with clients.
Intake/discharge Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: family like environment
Cons: lock down environment.
I have learned to become more empathetic and compassionate to many different populations.
Loved workng with the girls and their kids, relationships built
Support Staff (Former Employee), Salt Lake CitySeptember 5, 2014
Pros: building relationships with clients, going on fun outings
Cons: pay and benefits
Manager is very Unorganized, could not keep coverage on shifts. Did not know how to do a schedule.

I over saw moms in a drus and alcohol rehab. I helped them with their kids if needed. I administered medication. would go on Recs with them.
Helping men and women recover from addictions is a work of act that was completed well in this program.
Assistant Director/Team Leader (Former Employee), NYAugust 29, 2014
Pros: productive, caring environment
Cons: n/a
Teaching men and women to learn to love themselves enough to stop drinking and drugging is not easy, but the staff at Odyssey House did it with love and care.
What A Difference A Day Makes
House Monitor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 22, 2014
Upon my employment with Odyssey House, I was excited about the possibilities of making a difference in the lives of people in the community that have previously been marginalized. I was excited that I could interact with others and plant a seed of encouragement and drive them to desire better circumstances. When I was transferred, the atmosphere changed; suddenly it wasn't about making a difference anymore; it became about employee conduct. It became more about a moral code, or a lack of it. There seemed to be less concern not only for the clientele we were serviing, but also for the employees that were there to serve.
HECTIC BUT FUN
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), NEW YORKJuly 20, 2014
EXPERIENCE IN A FAST PHASE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
CLEANING AND SETTING UP THE CHAIR BY SELF-HARDEST PART
fAST WORKING ENVIRONMENT
wonderful experience
Sr. Case Manager/ Office Manager/HIV Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2014
My days at Odyssey varied and that was due to the various populations that I served and the daily activities that took place with the tenants. I really enjoyed helping those with struggles get their lives back in order and become productive members of society.
Very productive and eduacational
Expeditor/House Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 9, 2014
Pros: structured program
A day in Odssey House consisted of basic daily living tasks, such as sweapping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, living room and bed rooms, wipping widows mirrors and other glass objects. except from tittled positions, such as the '' Top Five '' which were Senior Coordinator, House Coordinator, Contract Coordinator, Coordinator Trainee and Chief Expiditor
Very productive
House Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 24, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: no breaks
Able to learn about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and able to apply knowledge and use with clients.
Works well with others
House Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 15, 2014
A typical day at work day for me consists of Individual/group sessions and progress notes. What I learn about from my daily interaction with staff and clients is how I can better communicate with others in an attempt to reach a desired result. The hardest part of my job is also the must rewarding and that is helping people achieve their desired goals.
Old culture of treatment; uses power and control as a method of change
Program Director (Former Employee), NY, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: food at directors meetings was great
Cons: compensation, supervision was manipulative
I was able to gain good experience in OH but little else. They do not financially compensate their staff and still use the old method of trying to make a person feel grateful for their job. My supervisor was abusive and manipulative. He went through treatment when clients used to get yelled at. There are a lot of great people in the company but it is limited in its growth because the upper echelon is very "old school" and does not challenge the status quo. They are going to be stuck very soon when Healthcare reform requires evidence based treatment and a shorted length of stay.
Not My Favorite
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), New Orleans, LASeptember 26, 2013
Pros: learned more postions
Cons: switched to many jobs
Odyssey House doesn't really give you the chance to grow in a job. I learned a lot but there is nothing more for me to learn in this company. I learned how to run the facility and learned more of my strengths.
Great Entry Level Company
Clinical Counselor CASAC-T (CASAC pending) (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 3, 2013
Pros: good benefits
When servicing clients with chemical dependency and criminal history you need to expect the unexpected while provided the treatment and care to help these individuals become productive meembers of society. Management has always been excellent mentors providing the guidance I need to become a better clinician. My co-wokers at Odyssey House are like family and do whatever they can to help me grow in this field. The hardest part about this job is knowing you can't save everybody. The most enjoyable is watching a client turn their lives completely around.
very inconsistent
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 16, 2013
poor leadership and lack of accountability. maybe the culture has changed since I left.
productive and fun work place
mentor (Former Employee), salt lake city, utahMay 6, 2013
Assisted in supervising and maintaining the where about of the youth that is in this placement.
Made mandatory 15 minute rounds to ensure their safety and that they are participating in the
Programs that are set for them each day and that rules are applied to their daily activities.
Hectic and chaotic environment as is any residential program but found it to be a rewarding experience
Senior Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 11, 2013
Pros: benefits were good.
Cons: not enough time to perform all duties in a day due to constant meetings and intervention.
From the moment I walked in until the moment I left at night it was very busy and hectic. I have had the opportunity advance my career and gain knowledge in the field of chemical dependency via all the trainings that Odyssey House offers their employess. As far as co-workers that is up in the air as there are people you sometimes do not like very much but as long as you respect those same people it is workable. The hardest part of the daily routine was applying time management as there were constant crisis interventions which at times stopped me from sticking to the plan. The most rewarding part of the job is the ability to help people with the addiction and having them complete treatment and live a drug free and productive lifestyle.
Strong clinical team and excellent leadership
Case Manager/Hiv coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2013
Enthusiastic Hard worker willing to learn and grow in the field as a helper. A typical day consist of me meeting with various tenants, completing client centered individual counseling sessions, referring tenants for needed services provided by outside agencies, facilitating harm reduction groups and updating client records.
Productive Workplace
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 25, 2012
Pros: great healtcare benefits
Cons: breaks are too short
I love working with the chidren so it is pretty ok. It's not a bad environment. This job requires a lot of patience and I have that. I get along very well with my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the children move from one stage of development to another especially the ones that had some kind of development delay. It's great to see them grow knowing that I played a part in their growth.