ODYSSEY Employee Reviews

Bad Experance
Clinical Director/Co-Founder (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2017
I was lead down the garden path. i was expected to do all the work without any compensation or benefits except for a place to sleep and food, if I cooked it that is.
Pros
learned at lot about standing up for self
Cons
everything else
Avoid
Social Impact Campaigns Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2017
Underpaid with very little increments in raises. Overworked (did many tasks outside of my job description creating a backup with my tasks) and undervalued (no recognition & micromanaged). The senior management definitely sets you up to fail. No leadership. They demand change within a failing infrastructure. Definitely wouldn't recommend choosing this company over another one if you have that opportunity.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Company culture of fear
Okay company at the Rodeo
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2017
The manager was not that good with her employees she was very judgmental of the person and not how much effort they gave to the work. This is an alright company for the rodeo.
Fast Paced
Server (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYAugust 31, 2017
Don't work there if you cant multitask
fast paced waitressing/waitering
will work at different work sites
use this as a 2nd job not your main job, it is inconsistent work
It was a great experience especially for people who enjoy writing.
Writer(Internship), Johns Creek, GA (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAAugust 29, 2017
We wrote one article a week on a topic of our choice. It was very enjoyable but I left because it become to hard for me to come up with topics. Our bosses would change very often.
An exceptional opportunity to break into your respective field
Editor-In-Chief (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 2, 2017
Odyssey offers an all-inclusive environment at universities and colleges across the states. The teams are largely run by students, but are managed by content strategists at Odyssey's home office.

For students looking for a chance to break into their respective fields, Odyssey allows freedom to write about whatever you want and is a great way to begin research on your own time.

You are given a deadline for published content and expected to meet your quota, but the team provides ample feedback and resources should you find yourself lacking in inspiration.

As Editor-in-Chief for the Cincinnati Odyssey team, I've obtained valuable managerial experience that I can take with me to future positions, and I'm so glad that I was given this opportunity,
Pros
Freedom of Content, Creativity, Organization
Unsatisfactory Management
Contributing Writer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 27, 2017
The editor I had would constantly favor articles from her friends than mine, and wouldnt share any of mine, but would share all of her friends, and then I would get criticized for not having enough likes or views on my articles.
Odyssey 1
1, Food Worker (Former Employee) –  2310 Mildred St W Tacoma WA 98466July 13, 2017
It was a fun place to work. It had busy times and slow times, but all in all, it was a mostly pleasant job. It was definitely a good starter job and I would work there again if all else fails.
Like Lemmings Jumping Off A Cliff
Content Creator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 2, 2017
Odyssey may seem like a place to share your ideas, but they promote solely the most inane bull you've ever seen. For instance, I wrote an article about my girlfriend who is bi-polar. Instead of raising mental health awareness, they decided to share a video about how to make french toast, with big flashy letters screaming "DANK WEED" at you. They pride themselves on equal opportunities for all writers, but there is no point. This is a blog. Anyone can share anything if they can type a few words. It's the most ridiculous place I have ever worked. There is no pay. The editors couldn't be more impersonal. And, yet, I still work there. Don't make the same mistake.
Helps build experience
Content Creator (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 10, 2017
Odyssey gets a bad reputation due to some upper-level management. I do not know what goes on there. I just know as a Content Creator that it is a good experience.

Every place is going to have employee/employer and EIC/writer problems.Any job, no matter if it is paid or not is going to have such problems. It is just how you deal with it and move on.

It is a good place to get your writing shown and out to the world to read. The views are not their responsibility, but you as the writer. It is up to the author to use social media to get their articles out there. Their friends/family/fans/followers take it from there and share or re-tweet the articles, along with commenting on them on the Odyssey page. If the author did their job, then it is the friends/family/fans/followers fault for not re-sharing, re-tweeting and commenting.
Pros
Work seen. Express yourself. Use creative writing and journalistic skills to create content.
Cons
How teams are ran changes many times.
Coodinating fun good sportminship
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  North Hills, CAJune 5, 2017
I loved working there everyone is very nice and they help you understand what you need to do. The managers captins bartenders everyone gets along. This was my first so i loved it
Pros
Free lunch, drinks, coffee extra food
Cons
30 minutes of break time had to use wisely
Productive, Prolific
Writer (Current Employee) –  La Crescenta, CAMay 29, 2017
The job requires that the writer produce an article by the end of each week. It provides a challenge for me to produce content on a week-to-week basis.
Great Experience
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2017
I had a great time being Editor-in-chief at the Odyssey. It was a very rewarding experience (non-fiscal) but for up and coming writers and editors I would highly recommend.
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2017
I worked at Enzo's pizzeria so there were the cooks, the people inside who got the orders and cashier. Everyone was so hardworking, nice, and honest.
Fast Paced Good Money
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 13, 2017
If you want to make good tips, and people person. this is the place for you. cool people to work with great manager flexible hours. did I mention great tips
Pros
the money
Cons
no benefits
Fast pase outgoing place with good popcorn and big tvs
Model server (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 12, 2017
Good place to just go to to kick back and relax play some pool watch some t.v. the people are outgoing and loud never a dull moment there that's for sure.... the crowd all depends on the weather.
Pros
Free popcorn and good breaks
Cons
No healthcare or benefits
Stay away
Managing Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2017
In February, Odyssey terminated half its staff (60 people) as a cost-cutting measure. It is likely not long for this world, so I'd highly recommended avoiding it if you want job security.
Start up vibe
ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR/CONTENT STRATEGIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2017
Job was always changing. Fun vibe with a culture that encouraged employees to be close. Could be a bit all over the place with changing goals and unclear standards.
The Start-up that never could
Sales (Former Employee) –  usaFebruary 2, 2017
One would expect a lot more professionalism, development and content sophistication from a company that just wasted away $25 million in funding in under a year. It's no wonder they laid off 70% of the company. I see doors closing in the near future.
Pros
Cons
everything
Good Overall Experience
Student Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed my time with Odyssey and gained a lot of experience working with the company. I was responsible for writing one article a week which worked well for me as a student.