ODYSSEY Employee Reviews in United States

Good experience but not a career
CONTRIBUTING EDITOR, WRITER (Current Employee) –  New Wilmington, PAJune 10, 2016
The business structure of Odyssey as a publication is admirable, and the writing teams are as good as writers and editors choose to make them. However, their pay structure is such that only one writer gets paid per week, the editor-in-chief has to fulfill very high standards (which are nearly impossible at smaller schools) and the contributing editors or any other supplemental positions provide no extra compensation. The experience is valuable for the deadline-based work and interaction with readers and team members, but outside that area it is not really a way to make any decent wage.
Pros
Flexible Deadlines, Work-From-Home
Cons
No Pay
Experience and skills of my career
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2016
With my years of experience as an IT Support Technician Analyst, I have the skills to do the job. I’ve worked with Windows XP, 7 and 8.1. I’ve answered customer’s inquiries regarding their computer software, hardware questions and issues. I’ve installed and performed software solutions by identifying the problem, and then researching the problem for the solution. I’ve maintained network peripherals, (printers, copiers and scanners, and etc). I’ve supported handheld mobile devices from Blackberries to Android and Apple mobile devices. I’ve created/provisioned end user desktop/network account utilizing Active Directory, to their telephony accounts by company specifications. As an IT Support Technician Analyst, I’ve mainly focused on diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving computer issues, and network system problems. I’ve documented and updated all customer issues in the incident ticketing systems. While performing my Technical duties, I make sure to try to provide each customer with a good outlook of my character. I am assertive and reliable, which I feel that I would be a good fit for your team.
The Odyssey is Great!
Student Writer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 16, 2016
Although you aren't guaranteed pay, The Odyssey is a great way to get your name out there and build your portfolio. You don't really get to meet the other writers as everyone is in different states. I learned how to manage class and my articles! Each week, a new article is due and if you miss that article three weeks in a row you are done!
Would not recommend to anyone
PM (Current Employee) –  SpringsMay 17, 2016
They care more about their revenue then they do their employees bringing it in!! They do not stand by their people and will stab your gov't lead in the back.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Leadership doesn't care about the working level personnel
Flexible, Freelance
Editor in Chief (Current Employee) –  FreelanceMay 20, 2016
Working for this company is an easy side job. I edit articles once writers finish them, and I move them up the chain of command. I also hire on new writers to expand our outreach.
Pros
Freelance
Cons
Low pay
Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 1, 2016
Great opportunity to be apart of
All virtual work
I learned about what I personally like to write about
Most enjoyable part is seeing my work published
Great Place for internship
Contributing Editor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 29, 2016
- Good people
- Flexible hour
- Basically work for free
- Write about anything you want
- Have a chance to win $20 per week based on number of shares for your article.
Great place to work and very flexible hours ideal for someone with a family.
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 20, 2014
I would come into work at 8am check messages left the previous night and make sure each client was contacted about their concerns and questions. I would open up our email to see if there was any perspective clients that wanted to have a meeting discussing their financial situation, and check reminders for what I needed to do throughout the day. Answering phones and keeping constant ongoing client contact occupied much of the day. I worked on spread sheets to compare Insurance companies and offer what was the best fit for our clients. I would leave around 3pm to pick up my then two young children from school. A lot of the times the manager/owner would be out at a meeting and I would need to keep everything in order until he returned. This job was great for me because I was as a single mom able to leave at certain times if emergencies arose during work ours. There were no benefits packages and the pay was low for the amount of hours I worked daily.
playground all over again
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 8, 2012
What started as a place of learning, growing and a professional environment has now turned into a playground. Working here is like being in school. You never know when you will be called into the principal's office. The employees are treated like students and each must learn to get along and play nice. You never know when someone will run to the teacher and say something good or bad about you. You do your best, but its not good enough unless you're teacher's pet then everything you do right or wrong, you're the best.

The coworkers that have been in hospice for over 6-7 years are awesome and always ready to teach. However, in order to feel secure, appreciated, or accepted one has to be part of the "in-group" which are those with less experience.

This work environment should be a place where hospice professionals unite, support, and respect one another because end of life care is a difficult job. It can be draining emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. Unfortunately, some think its still being a kid on school grounds.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
its not a 8-5 job
Fun and Interesting
Server (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2015
This is great place to learn how to serve in fine dining. I've learned a lot the staff is wonderful. The management staff is great.
Pros
free cruises
Cons
pay
Love my job, but no benefits and secure hours
Job Specialist/Coach (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 21, 2012
A wonderful company, love working with clients and their families. Need benefits, secure hours and income.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
zero offered benefits and hours change monthly
Rewarding to work to see broken families reunite.
Case Aide/Child Advocate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 26, 2015
The job as a case aide worker was rewarding in that I was able to reunite children and parents in a process that evaluated the parents to make sure the children were safe and would be cared for appropriately. Drive time from child drop off point not allowed.
Pros
Seeing children back with parents.
Cons
Seeing that some parents could not be good parents even for two hours.
I loved it !
Assist clients (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIJune 25, 2015
I enjoyed working with patients , and their families. I truly enjoyed every minute with them. the nurses were great to work with , and really cared and passionate about their career and job .
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Mostly field work and drive a lot, but overall enjoyable
Certified Nurses Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 5, 2015
A typical work day for me starts at 8:30 and ends roughly around 5-5:30. I've learned that I love my job, and it gives me an opportunity to meet new and exciting people daily. In meeting new people we/I must stick to the guidelines of the company and not commit any HIPPA violations. Must conduct myself professionally at all times. I love the people I work with. The hardest part of this job is losing a patient. The most enjoyable part is making others smile.
Pros
meet new people daily
Cons
having to deal with the loss of a patient or patients' family member
Fun Environment
Provider (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 7, 2015
Start off by greeting the consumer and talk briefly about their day. Then we get started on the daily goals set for that day. After the goals are achieved we get to do a fun activity of the consumers choice.
Job primarily supporting patients in crisis situations. Each situation is unique and the job performed in multiple situations such as facilities or p
Hospice RN admissions and on call (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 27, 2013
The job is emergency management of unexpected situations when primary staff unavailable. This includes medication or pain management, falls with injury, deaths, family support ect. There is a great support staff that is able to assist when required. The patients and families are the most wonderful part of this job.Must be able to make decisions and follow care plans as well as policies, procedures and state and federal regulations
Wonderful
CNA (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 22, 2013
With to ability to set my own schedule, I would start with driving to my patient's house between 7 to 8 in the morning. So times meeting the nurse at the patient's house preforming daily care, checking supplies, then moving on to the next patient. Seeing between 4 to 8 patients a day. I worked with some of the best RNs, LVNs, CNAs, Social workers and Chaplin, a team to the end. My manager was supper, she was understanding, very helpful, caring and there when ever you needed her 7 days a week. I had some difficult patient that were very demanding, which was probably the hardest thing about the job. Some wanting you there long, some wanting to do thing you're not ordered to do by the nurse.
Pros
setting my own work schedule
Cons
2 hour meetings ones a month
Working at the Odyssey is Great!
Verizon Wireless Campus Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDApril 3, 2015
I love working at The Odyssey! My position consisted of getting my peers here in Maryland greek life to take a survey concerning wireless carriers.
Pros
Friendly leadership.
Cons
Unclear assignments.
productive and very family like place to work.
Med Record Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2014
collected charts every day from the previous days discharges,
made up folders. Enter patients in the admission/discharge list
on the computer. Pull records for staff, print orders for doctors
signatures. ROI request processed and sent out. Closing chart
audits for discharged / completed records, some paper / EMR. Perge and box up records for storage . Enter in storage data base on computer for Iron Mountain.Sorted and filed all incoming loose sheets. Maintained chart filing system by MRN order and filed on
shelf
Filed discharges that came in from the in-patient units in the active or
discharge binders...
Answer phones for the front desk when needed

You had to be very organized and be able to multi task and keep
everything in order..
co-worker were great.
Learned alot about Hospice
Making sure everything was at all staff members disposal.
Enjoyable was the staff and how they treated and trusted you...
Pros
always treats every day
Cons
sometimes the communication was not to good
Odyssey
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CASeptember 18, 2014
Great place to work if you have no values. Management seems to think it's okay to have employees sleep with spouses of people (patients) who are dying.
Pros
if you like doing that sort of thing it's great!
Cons
if you have christian values you may find it appalling to work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ODYSSEY. Our community is ready to answer.