Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Found 5,177 reviews matching the search
Great to gain experience, not much else.
Sales Tech Consultant (Former Employee) –  Baldwin Park, CAFebruary 4, 2017
If you want to learn how to handle any retail environment, work here. This was my first paying job and I learned a heck of a lot, which was beneficial at first, until I realized I was getting paid the same as cashiers, the only difference being that I got about 4-5 hours more of work a week than they did. Don't expect a raise, in fact, count yourself lucky if they don't have to cut hours. Almost no benefits, non-flexible work schedule, cross training pretty much mandatory, super fast paced. Thankfully, the management at specific store was great for a long time. However, due to the whole PC Tune Up debacle and changes in commission, this company has been steadily going downhill.
Pros
Management was nice, learn valuable skills
Cons
high expectations for minimum wage, extremely fast-paced, back to school is horrible
Stressful
Cashier (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 13, 2017
We are working short staffed and schedules are posted 3 days in advance which makes it impossible to plan your life.

Some management is poorly trained and inappropriate. There seems to be promotions based on friendships other not qualifications. Other managers are moved around because of the discontent they create in one location and instead of dealing with the problem upper management moves them from one location to another.
o g
It is freezing in the stores in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. They are to insensitive to to their associates tive them a comfortable working environment.

Hours have been cut and many are losing their benefits. They use the reasoning that it will offer better customer service.
Pros
non
Cons
no full time, breaks are hard to get
Great team!!!
Designer, Media Production (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 30, 2017
The typical workday of a Designer, Media Production in the Retail Learning and Development team was different every week. Some weeks it would be full of meeting to discuss new training material. Other weeks I was sitting in the editing bay, shooting on a green screen or visiting a store. The workplace culture was intriguing everyone is passionate about what their role is wether it was analytics, or management. Overall a good experience, job security and advancement got a one star rating only because I was laid off due to restructuring. Other than that great company to work for.
Pros
Great benefits, amenities, good communication
Cons
Job security
Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Store Management gets paid a great rate, but is required to work long hours and there is different standards for every manager. If you thrive on being the best you are held too a higher standard then your peer who doesn't like their job and wants to barely get by with the minimum. In my 11 year tenure with the company I saw maybe 5 store managers let go due too poor performance, while there are still an abundant of managers who fail to meet goals or keep standards too the minimum expectations. Having the corporate headquarters in our backyard as well also proved too be subjective too what a manager had too do compared to other managers in the company who were the same title and pay. Little advancement as the company doesn't hold too one expectation and keeps the bad managers, while the good managers leave for better opportunities and they keep getting looked over for job promotions due to the fact the company can't replace them in their current position.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, No Set Accountability for whole company, They would rather do paper reports on employees then Make Customers #1 Priority
Great Place to work through College
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Marion, OHDecember 9, 2016
I started working at Office Depot to have a job through College. I moved up through the company and have learned all the positions. I enjoy working with at company that helps their employees grow and learn to advance in their career.

Typical Work Day is 8 hour shifts / 5 days per week. Some opening shifts (7am) and some closing (until 9pm)

Management has always been a big part of the team. They are on the floor helping and coaching all the time. It is a great place to learn skills in the retail environment.

Co-workers (in my experience) have been great. It is a retail position, so most people work here temporarily.

The hardest part of the Assistant Manger job is resolving customer issues, but as long as you have the customers best interest in mind and know the companies policies, you can navigate through the situation with ease and the customer will leave satisfied.

The most enjoyable part of the Assistant Manager job is a mix between the office administration/training and customer service.
Pros
Full Time Benefits, 401K
A great place to work to get through high school
Senior Sales Consultant furniture (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 17, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of many checklists of small task but spread out throughout the day. The main focus however was the customers and just saying "yes". The staff and management were awesome and made the work environment nice. The scheduling was very accommodating. The worst parts of the job were the pay, constant changes, and additional work added. Policy over the past few years has changed a lot and many things expected at the associate level were being raised higher with no compensation or extra pay. Payroll has gotten tighter and key positions are being taken, also stores in my area are closing. It seems like you never catch up and for advancement, this company is not a good fit, at least not right now.
I grew a lot while working there
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  McCalla, ALDecember 28, 2016
I was in control of a sorter machine, which directed the flow of packages to different lanes to be loaded on the trucks. I worked the computer to ensure all traffic flowed smoothly. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, the salary was ok but wasn't competitive compared to surrounding warehouses. Management there were not much of team players and lacked lot. I learned a lot about machines and fixing things by working hands on with the maintenance crew.
Pros
good benefits, coworkers, learned a lot about different machines
Cons
work was short sometimes, salary wasn't competitive, managers
Coworkers worked hard, Management and corporate do not care about you.
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXNovember 8, 2016
Some of the best coworkers I ever had stemmed from this job, and I learned quite a bit about sales and commission. However, the corporate culture, as with all retail outlets, was disconnected with the actual stores. They pushed our raises back a year and a half, updated planograms to make the store front even more confusing, and added more product than most stores were able to hold to inventory. Management consistently lied about trying to find opportunities for employees, and refused to see bottom line of failing reviews on the store.
Retail Life
CopyMax Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYJanuary 12, 2017
As with most retail stores, you are expected to work your "fair share" of nights and weekends regardless of your title or how long you've been with the company.

Benefits and pay were not equivalent to the amount of work expected. Management was easy to criticize, but not to praise.

I found out after working here for 7 years (when I left) that my replacement was making more than I was to start than when I was when I left (he was a male). I was told that I wasn't able to get another raise because I was at the cap.
Cons
Work Hours
Busy to the point of being overwhelmed
Office Depot ImPress Print Manager (Former Employee) –  Harwood Heights, ILNovember 11, 2016
Store management is reasonable with their demands, however, the demands expected from the corporate office were unreasonable at times.

Typical day would consist of preparing the department to receive customers and review previous orders for quality. Once open, review of incoming e-mail/online orders, deal with walk up customers and produce orders from the day before according to standards and policies.
Pros
Managers and coworkers, decent benefits
Cons
Inadequate payroll for entire store, lack of coverage so lunches were rushed or interrupted, unreasonable demands from corporate and micromanaging
employment
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 24, 2017
i found a job with office depot over 2 years ago. I have to say this is one of the greatest jobs i have ever held. However, i wish the company offered more full time opportunities. there are those of us that love our job but have families to raise. some of us are even working 2 jobs just to be able to make ends meet. it would be easier for those that are willing to work, to have and enjoy the luxury of having one job and spend more quality time with our families. a great job with 40 plus hours a week would help a lot of people out.
Management is easy going. Work is routine for retail operation.
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 27, 2016
The management at Office Depot is reasonably easygoing and works with college students to accommodate their schedules. The work is fairly routine; waiting on customers and assisting them in finding their items for purchase. My co-workers are generally college-age students. The hardest part of the job is getting enough work hours every week.
Pros
Occasionally we have free pizza lunches.
Cons
Only management is considered full time and therefore eligible for benefits.
Challenging, but fun work environment
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MI 48334September 28, 2016
Working at Office Depot Max was interesting. The range of people met while working there was a span I never could have imagined. The success of the day always depended on who the manager on duty was as well as which associates were working. This location had very few hard-working, reliable associates which was quite disappointing, but the management team did what they could to help out. The most enjoyable part was some of the regular customers. Working back in the print department my last month or so allowed me to gain closer connections with some of the customers, which is not as typical in other locations in the store.
Pros
401K benefits, healthcare
Cons
typical stress of retail job
Understaffed and angry managers
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXAugust 31, 2016
We are constantly understaffed and when logistics doesn't get things done then the managers yell at them. Since we are understaffed then logistics has to help with the customers. Since they have to help with the customers they fall behind on their work. In turn the manager gets mad at them for not finishing the freight. The manager tells them to stop making excuses. It is funny, because the manager will use the same "excuse" for why they couldn't finish unloading a u boat. The pay is terrible. They do not have competitive pay. It is a lie. Several of us asked for a raise and no one received any even though they agree we are worth more than what they are paYing us.
Pros
Co workers suffer with you
Cons
Managers blames you instead of trying to improve the team
Great relationship with peers
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 15, 2017
Management is very caring, understanding and open. Every store is in sync and have weekly conference calls to ensure the company will continue to run smoothly. Compensation is very un encouraging. Definitely do not get paid what you are worth. They expect a lot but pay very little. If it was not for company standards I may of already left. They provide a wonderful work environment however.
Pros
Teamwork, freedom of expression, breaks, simplicity
Cons
Pay
High paced physical yet rewarding position
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, OHOctober 6, 2016
Delivered various office supplies to businesses. A typical day would be to scan over load and truck, then proceed to your route of on average 30-40 stops per day. I met a lot of great people at my regular stops. Management was very thorough and analytical and were typically on the ball with dealing with most anything. The job was extremely physical (climbing in and out of truck, deadlifting cases of copy paper) but I enjoyed the fact that it kept me in good shape and provided me the opportunity to service some really wonderful companies and customers.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
physically demanding
Very friendly environment and good management(mostly)
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 7, 2017
Friendly regular people. easy to get around.
work is simple, but sometimes can be strenuous on certain days.
Management shows appreciation based on the work you put in and reward hard work.
I Loved the fact that people were so friendly and management was very flexible with school leave and other personal matters.
Pros
The Culture, management
Cons
Compensation
Like any other retailer
COPY & PRINT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 30, 2016
Working for Office Depot is really an inbetweener job, for me at least, as a student. I am focused in the copy and print department of the store and it has it's subpar benefits. Mostly dealing with the easy talk and more personal connection with customers. The downside is the constraint they put on the employees meaning they are expected to work twice as hard, to twice the jobs, and sell twice the amount while having little to no sentatives or positive outcomes. You get the occasional 7 dollar commission for selling a protection plan (in my case as a CPD associate, you get no opportunity). At the end of the day, it's about getting the sales numbers and that's it.
Expects one person to do the job of 20
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2016
I spent 3 years working for Office Depot and I can honestly say that it has been a roller coaster. There is no stability. Budgets are changed to prevent Store Managers from receiving bonuses. District Managers have unreal expectations. They claim to value the work-life balance but all store managers end up working 60 hours a week just to get by.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
Upper management does not care about your well being
Great workers are placed under heavy restrictions.
Print and Design Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pineville, NCFebruary 15, 2017
Each day we have great workers who are committed to being successful in their position and lending a helping hand in any way possible. A great environment is provided for all who enter our doors each day but we are restricted under some questionable guidelines and policies. Overall it is a pleasure working with my team, however, changes could be made to make it less stressful.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and occasional lunches
Cons
Very few benefits for part-timers and heavy restrictions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval