Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Found 4,864 reviews matching the search
A great place to work to get through high school
Senior Sales Consultant furniture (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 17, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of many checklists of small task but spread out throughout the day. The main focus however was the customers and just saying "yes". The staff and management were awesome and made the work environment nice. The scheduling was very accommodating. The worst parts of the job were the pay, constant changes, and additional work added. Policy over the past few years has changed a lot and many things expected at the associate level were being raised higher with no compensation or extra pay. Payroll has gotten tighter and key positions are being taken, also stores in my area are closing. It seems like you never catch up and for advancement, this company is not a good fit, at least not right now.
Understaffed and angry managers
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXAugust 31, 2016
We are constantly understaffed and when logistics doesn't get things done then the managers yell at them. Since we are understaffed then logistics has to help with the customers. Since they have to help with the customers they fall behind on their work. In turn the manager gets mad at them for not finishing the freight. The manager tells them to stop making excuses. It is funny, because the manager will use the same "excuse" for why they couldn't finish unloading a u boat. The pay is terrible. They do not have competitive pay. It is a lie. Several of us asked for a raise and no one received any even though they agree we are worth more than what they are paYing us.
Pros
Co workers suffer with you
Cons
Managers blames you instead of trying to improve the team
Coworkers worked hard, Management and corporate do not care about you.
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXNovember 8, 2016
Some of the best coworkers I ever had stemmed from this job, and I learned quite a bit about sales and commission. However, the corporate culture, as with all retail outlets, was disconnected with the actual stores. They pushed our raises back a year and a half, updated planograms to make the store front even more confusing, and added more product than most stores were able to hold to inventory. Management consistently lied about trying to find opportunities for employees, and refused to see bottom line of failing reviews on the store.
Challenging, but fun work environment
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MI 48334September 28, 2016
Working at Office Depot Max was interesting. The range of people met while working there was a span I never could have imagined. The success of the day always depended on who the manager on duty was as well as which associates were working. This location had very few hard-working, reliable associates which was quite disappointing, but the management team did what they could to help out. The most enjoyable part was some of the regular customers. Working back in the print department my last month or so allowed me to gain closer connections with some of the customers, which is not as typical in other locations in the store.
Pros
401K benefits, healthcare
Cons
typical stress of retail job
Busy to the point of being overwhelmed
Office Depot ImPress Print Manager (Former Employee) –  Harwood Heights, ILNovember 11, 2016
Store management is reasonable with their demands, however, the demands expected from the corporate office were unreasonable at times.

Typical day would consist of preparing the department to receive customers and review previous orders for quality. Once open, review of incoming e-mail/online orders, deal with walk up customers and produce orders from the day before according to standards and policies.
Pros
Managers and coworkers, decent benefits
Cons
Inadequate payroll for entire store, lack of coverage so lunches were rushed or interrupted, unreasonable demands from corporate and micromanaging
High paced physical yet rewarding position
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, OHOctober 6, 2016
Delivered various office supplies to businesses. A typical day would be to scan over load and truck, then proceed to your route of on average 30-40 stops per day. I met a lot of great people at my regular stops. Management was very thorough and analytical and were typically on the ball with dealing with most anything. The job was extremely physical (climbing in and out of truck, deadlifting cases of copy paper) but I enjoyed the fact that it kept me in good shape and provided me the opportunity to service some really wonderful companies and customers.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
physically demanding
It's a job that's all
Print Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2016
Previous reviews are not kidding when they say working here is like working in a sweatshop. Pay is low and the work is constantly getting to be more and more demanding. There is a new system the district manager swears by for copy and print but it barely works. The equipment is constantly breaking down and the customers get furious when their stuff can't get printed. I HATE trying to work with one customer only to get cut off by another one because they can't see I'm busy doing something else.

On the bright side of things however, I learned a lot about printing as well as sales. I love that I feel I'm working an actual job instead of just getting a "gig" and being thrown out once again into the job market.
Pros
Employed LOL, learn new print and sales techniques
Cons
Open door policy, short breaks, workload is ridiculous, not paid a living wage, no benefits company is dying
Like any other retailer
COPY & PRINT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 30, 2016
Working for Office Depot is really an inbetweener job, for me at least, as a student. I am focused in the copy and print department of the store and it has it's subpar benefits. Mostly dealing with the easy talk and more personal connection with customers. The downside is the constraint they put on the employees meaning they are expected to work twice as hard, to twice the jobs, and sell twice the amount while having little to no sentatives or positive outcomes. You get the occasional 7 dollar commission for selling a protection plan (in my case as a CPD associate, you get no opportunity). At the end of the day, it's about getting the sales numbers and that's it.
Great for first job.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Covington, WAOctober 9, 2016
My experience with the Covington branch has been very educational. This has been my first job and for the mist part enjoyable. There, however, has been no store manager there for quite some time. Just recently a manager was hired, and with his arrival, available hours have been cut drastically. I have only been able to get scheduled for four hours, and there is talk about another twenty being cut from the payroll. But other than the cut backs, the store has been a great place to work. The people there are reasonably kind about learning mistakes and are fun to work with.
Pros
Great learning envirnment, health care benefits
Cons
Hours are few
Expects one person to do the job of 20
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2016
I spent 3 years working for Office Depot and I can honestly say that it has been a roller coaster. There is no stability. Budgets are changed to prevent Store Managers from receiving bonuses. District Managers have unreal expectations. They claim to value the work-life balance but all store managers end up working 60 hours a week just to get by.
Pros
Good medical benefits
Cons
Upper management does not care about your well being
Not the best place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJuly 18, 2016
Worst job I've ever had. Constantly changing schedules, no communication between employees and management. I started coming in at 7:30 then changed to 8 then to 9. Now it may change to 10. All within 3 months of working here. When it's busy they expect you to work 12+ hours everyday and when it's not they try and keep you under 40 hours a week off a minimum salary! No matter you're experience they will start you with bottom pay. When I had my interview they told me the starting pay was 12.50 hr for equipment operators. I asked for 13.50 and never heard anything else about it. Turnover rate is high and nobody is ever happy to come to work. It's a lot of people who are itching to find another job do to the treatment of employees. I always wonders why they called me within 5 mins of me putting in my application. The only real positive I can say about this job is the people you meet but even that's not worth your sanity.
Pros
Feed us sometimes.
Cons
Just about everything
Good Management, however job could get frustrating
Technology Associate (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCSeptember 13, 2016
Management is pretty good and so is job security. Schedule flexibility a huge plus.

Had to do several things at once a lot of the time making it a bit frustrating. For example store duties vs customer support. Have to do both at the same time so things sometimes don't get done. If the salary was a bit higher it would be worth it, but for the required knowledge pay was inadequate.
Pros
Management, Flexibility
Cons
Pay, Job duties, Benefits
God pay for managers
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WA/ Orem, UTJune 26, 2016
Strong retail company, was advanced rather quickly. They do show appreciation as long as numbers are good. If numbers are wavering, upper level managers put a huge amount of pressure on store managers rather then teaching and looking on the why of performance. Had 3 different district managers 2 of whom taught
and lead, and 1 that would not.
Enjoyed yearly trips to managers meetings to see new products and learn from top management. Hardest part was inconsistency from upper level managers, each interpreted it their way and sometimes did not match the original discussion. Store managers took much blame for not understanding all the opinions of other upper managers interpretations. Lots of people at the top not giving enough support to the ground troops.
Pay was really good, higher then most companies paid. Benefits were really good as well.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Upper management not all on the same page
Too many changes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 9, 2016
Once they got taken over by Office Depot they constantly had stock problems and lacked receiving advertised items in a timely manner.
They kept cutting the payroll @ the store level to cushion ALL THE PROBLEMS @ the corporate office.

All the personnel holidays were eliminated.

All the managers compensation was cut to 2010 levels.
they kept changing the rules on the bonus arrangement for the managers which created stressful environment.
Pros
the store mangement staff was great
Cons
everything that I listed above and more
Fun workplace with effective and knowledgeable team
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 29, 2016
The store was often not busy allowing for very personal customer interaction. All members of the team are motivated and efficient. Here I learned many skills such as task oriented time management, team leadership and motivation, and effective selling behaviors. The most difficult part of this job was moving very heavy furniture from the back of the store, and loading it in cars which could on occasion be too small. The most enjoyable part of this job was helping a customer get exactly what they needed and becoming a trusted adviser to them each time they returned.
Pros
Good Benefits, Great Team
Cons
Policy changes often
Office Depot - What is it really like to work there?
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYMay 10, 2016
Fast paced environment for sales primarily due to the many store closings. If you like change, then this is the company for you. Always changing something, whether it be your title or role within the store. Limited staffing with small to medium store formats. People are good and work life balance is great. Good training program for management. For a technology company, they are severely behind the curve with innovation and e-commerce integration. Internal computer programs and registers are out dated. Values are questionable with this company and seem to be enforced only when it benefits the company, not the employees. I would not recommend working for this company on the grounds that they are inconsistent with their policy enforcement.
Pros
Worklife and People
Cons
Limited staffing and store closing. Values are questionable.
It was had to work for someone that questioned everything you did.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 17, 2016
As the years went by the harder it was to please the upper management. The hardest part of the job was that you were micromanaged. In the beginning we were able to run our stores the way we wanted to do to make a profit, at the end all they wanted us to do is push papers. It made our customer service level go down
Pros
benefits were good
Cons
The upper management was har to work for in the end
Good Workplace
DIRECT EMAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILSeptember 1, 2016
Good place to work. Overall, had great benefits, opportunity for advancement, rewarded achievements, good time off policy, and offered a set schedule. Only had minor issues with management, but those issues were generally resolved when taken to human resources.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunity for Advancement, Paid Time Off, Recognition, Set Schedule
Cons
Slight Management Issues
Office supplies retail store
Lead Customer Service Representative, Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAOctober 15, 2016
Although pay rate is low their employees , this company is driven by exceeding expectations in customer service and their customers experiences and expectations.
They are 100% focused on their customers what causes them to them to be disconsiderated with their employees thoughts, needs and specially opinions in most cases.
Pros
It is a clean and climatized environment.
Cons
Low pay, expensive benefits and no attention to employees needs and opinions.
I was lucky
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 22, 2016
The job itself is your standard retail job. I was very fortunate to have a management staff that truly valued me and worked with me to keep me happy. The pay was low, the benefits were terrible, but I was, more or less, happy. I only left to pursue a career in massage therapy.
Pros
Great management staff, straight-forward work
Cons
Low pay, entitled customers, retail job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.

Office Depot OfficeMax Reviews by Location