Office Depot OfficeMax
3,743 reviews

Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Good starting out job
Sales Associate/Department Manager (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 26, 2015
Normal retail sales and logistics position. Learned how to approach and sell to customers in a professional manner. Depending on store, management can vary as far as effectiveness. Same can be said about fellow associates but overall good people.
Great workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Glen Burnie, MDMay 26, 2015
Pros: Teaches you great skills, great first job
Cons: Short breaks
This is overall, a great place to work. Most of the time I learn new things as different problems arrive which can be difficult in the beginning, but as time goes and you begin to mesh well with co-workers, it becomes easier to ask for help and solve problems as a team.
Great People
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Metairie, LAMay 26, 2015
The people with whom i work on a daily basis create a great team culture. As part of the district training store I enjoy working with newly hired management members.
Terrible Company, Terrible Job, terrible managment, Vallejo store.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Easy work
Cons: Terrible managment, terrible hours, terrible pay, very unreliable
Management is a joke. Your hours are ridiculously dependent on staying from 1-10pm at night. Also you take the blame if you get hurt, that is right. You get hurt! If management messes up on your attendance or just doesn't like you because of something someone says you basically get in trouble for no reason.

A typical day at work would basically be like this:
Make sure you do everything in the store while the cashier sits at the cashier and the management team (outside of the General manager) basically chill back and you have to great customers, sell products, and then you have to also get your tasks done.
If you don't by the way if you just do your job you get in trouble.

I learned that this is a terrible place to work and that it's not even Office max at all! It's Office depot.

The hardest part was that they hired me for a sales consultant position and expected me to basically: Be on call, (that's right they would call me up and try to get me to come into work), go above and beyond what you were hired for do to terrible management and low staffing, (even though I was hired as a sales consultant, I ended up doing freight, heavy lifting, go backs of items for the store, and also would have to help other workers way too much who had been working there far longer then me) finally the real hard part was trying to get a crucial day off just to basically go attend official business with the government or because you were sick. (you basically could lose your job even if it's a legit reason that you could not come in)

Finally , I was promised to start at 10.50 – more... an hour, but started at 10 an hour. The General manger constantly lied to everyone in the store. I was trying to work into a different position for advancement but he basically just lied about everything and terminated me because I quote; "I hear everything that everyone says in the store and it goes right back to me."

This company and job is a joke. Don't waste your time trying to work here. – less
Great learning experiece
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSMay 25, 2015
Pros: Good training
Cons: insurance was expensive
I learned a lot about technology. I didn't have much experience with computers or laptops. A typical day for me was data entry. We had a good management team.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 24, 2015
Pros: Nice products
Cons: Discounts aren't that great, no insurance, crazy work schedules
Very busy work environment . Has some slow days and some days are very busy. Especially during back to school and tax free weekend ...its a zoo.
Great work enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLMay 24, 2015
Pros: long breaks
Cons: no benefits.
Work place was very busy. Working as a cashier was really stressful at times because of standing up for long hours. However, the pay was pretty decent and management was exceptional as well.
Worst job I have ever had!
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Wellington, FLMay 24, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers, and you learn a lot about technology.
Cons: The store manager would rush in and out of the store for unknown reasons, and the general manager informed me that the store manager was running the store into the ground.
Typically you try to help customers when they can't find something. I learned that having a manager that knows what they are doing will make a big difference in the workplace. The manager was in and out of the store constantly, never could make up his mind or give clear directions. Even accused a couple of people of stealing money from the register, even though store cameras assured that they weren't. The co-workers were the only thing that kept me at that job for as long as I worked there. They were friendly hard working people. The hardest part of the job was trying to finish any task given to you by the manager, since he never gave you clear directions on how he wanted something done and would get mad because you apparently didn't do it correctly. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the store manage would go home for the day because the store would suddenly start running smoothly.
Productive and a great place to work.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Mount Dora, FLMay 23, 2015
Pros: able to up sell and bring in extra money
Cons: Wish it was Full time
this is a great company to work for they are like family and everyone is very helpful and patient with me. I am happy to come in to work every day and ready to learn more. the management does not hesitate to tell me when i am doing a good job.
Good Place for a First Job
Technology Associate (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMay 23, 2015
Pros: Tuition Reimbursement
The company really pushes goal driven employees and following the code of ethics. It is retail but is a good way to get experience dealing with troublesome situations.
Rewarding and fun!
FRONT END SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Cullman, ALMay 21, 2015
There is always room for improvement at Office Max. Also no good deed goes unnoticed! It was always fun, never boring, and I loved the managers!
Great People, Terrible Company
Tech Depot Services Associate (Current Employee), Pompano Beach, FLMay 21, 2015
The corporate office doesn't know a single thing about how to run a business. If it weren't for the terrible decisions made by this company, this business wouldn't be in the terrible condition that it is now. I sincerely hope that the CEO's golden parachute is a dud lined with iron instead of my hard work, sweat, and blood.
Great Surrounding
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 21, 2015
One Of The Best Jobs I had the people were always smiling and helpful. a typical day at work was simple just unloading a truck and stocking products.
Indeed is a great and resourceful tool.
SR BI DEVELOPER (Former Employee), Grand Prairie, TXMay 20, 2015
Pros: there are free lunches in America, I would have love to earn it.
Cons: Breaks are essential and a relieve to reenergize mentally for continues work.
I balance work time with family time to balance stress level to normalcy. I work hard and have lots of fun. I look forward to getting my next position through Indeed.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Sunset Valley, TXMay 20, 2015
Pros: Positive Reinforcement
Cons: Managerial Inconsistency, no benefits
Grew knowledge in selling products
Helped with logistics with placing inventory on the sales floor
Friendly competition between co-workers
Positive reinforcement from co-workers
Teamwork

The best part of the job was experiencing working with a diversity of individuals who also have great work ethic!
Store Manager (Former Employee), Carmel, INMay 20, 2015
I was a department manager at Office Depot. I had worked for them not long before the executives had made the call to shut down the store I was working in.
When the regional manager of Office Max had heard about the closing I was recruited as an Asst. Store Manager, however who the general manager and myself didn't see eye to eye on how a retail store should be managed, therefore I voiced my opinion.
Fun Workplace with great opportunities for customer interaction
Technology Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Boynton Beach, FLMay 19, 2015
Office Depot is a great company that allows its workers to help customers both meet and exceed their workplace/office needs and wants.
Don't work for this company
Sales consultant (Current Employee), Seguin, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: It's a job...
Cons: Short breaks (30min), No help, Lousy pay, counterproductive rules, employees are expendable
Let me start by saying that I have no issues with this specific store...

The problem with this company lies in its corporate offices. They seem to be more concerned with making their budget than they are with actually taking care of their stores, employees, and customers.

I will probably lose my job for posting this (If they even care / read it) but I don't really care at this point...I'm tired of it.

They treat all employees (except the store managers) as expendable but at the same time they expect us to keep their product flowing off the shelves.

We get a 30minute lunch break if we're scheduled more than 6 hours for the day...but if we are stopped by a customer on that lunch break, we have to help them even though we're off the clock. We also have to bring in shopping carts that are left in the parking lot if we see them on our way back in from getting food. This often means that half or more of the "break" ends up depleted before we can even sit down to eat...

The same goes for coming in / leaving for the day...If we are stopped by a customer, we have to help them or we can be disciplined (even terminated) -- Last I checked it was illegal to force people to work without pay.

We are supposed to "Take care of the customer" and let the managers worry about the rest...but that in itself is absolutely impossible due to corporate. They cut the payroll company-wide so there's no way to keep the manpower needed in order to help every customer, and at the same time they give us tons of things that "we have to get done every day or it shows up on a report" and somehow – more... expect us to get it all finished before 11am in most cases--as 11am is "D.E.P.O.T Time" which stands for "Drop Everything, People Over Tasks"

On paper, this is a great idea, but in practice it becomes overwhelmingly impossible...as most days we only have 2-3 people (including management) working at any given time due to payroll constraints.

What this results in is upset customers that take their frustrations out on the associates...or file a corporate complaint against the associate or store...and then corporate punishes the store/associate for it...sad but true.

Pay is an absolute joke...They pay the full time associates roughly $9 an hour...That includes the computer / tech department associates. $9 x 36 hours a week comes out to a little over $500 per check after taxes...and that's if you don't buy into the health benefits program which would take upwards of $125 off.

Part time associates don't even get offered health benefits and are lucky to get more than 24 hours a week in order for the company to save money vs having to offer them a health plan (sidestepping Obamacare)

Schedules are flexible but sometimes get changed and the associate is not made aware of this...other times something comes up and an associate can't come in and even if they give a week's notice, still get scheduled and are chided for not showing up.

The "Tech Support" is also a joke thanks to new rules sent down from corporate. They mandated that tech associates are not allowed to run any repair tools that were not supplied by the company, but refuse to provide them with any tools...so they are supposed to somehow diagnose customer's problems with no tools.

The excuse I have been given for this is "The tech associates aren't supposed to be the ones fixing the computers, we pay support.com to do that. The tech associates are supposed to be running the free pc health check tool and selling the customers the service it recommends and nothing more."

They aren't even allowed to replace hard drives--one of the more basic computer repairs--because the Standard Operating Procedure is all hardware issues should be sent to "Central Repair" -- $350+ for a laptop if it's not the screen that's damaged...

This, to me, is shady practice and misleading to the customers...as there is a rather large red banner on the outside of the store that says "We Fix Computers!" along with a metal sign saying something similar.

If you walked into a store with a computer expecting it to get fixed, and they told you --without even looking at it because they aren't allowed-- that it would be $350 , would you go back? I wouldn't either.

The management team (at this store anyway) is great --for the most part...-- and tries its hardest to make due with what corporate has thrown them. But it's not enough to fix it.

They are so overwhelmed with trying to keep things above water that between their required tasks, and people not coming to work, often several associates go their entire shift for days at a time with no lunch break due to no relief.

There was also a recommended staffing guideline not too far back that said the only people on staff after mid-day should be the manager, and the copy/print associate...in order to alleviate budget concerns. How do they expect to keep the company going when they don't want to pay their employees / keep their stores staffed well enough to take care of their customers?

It's a highly stressful work environment most of the time, as there's usually only ONE associate (and possibly one manager) on the sales floor at any given time having to deal with the majority of the customers. This is unfair to both the customer and the employees.

All of this for barely more than minimum wage, from a company that boasts about its billions in profit...

Bottom line : I will never recommend this company to anyone as an employer, or for tech support. – less
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Suwanee, GeorgiaMay 19, 2015
Great group of people to teach and train and work with on all levels. There was always a focus on teaching the new people how to develop the right way.
A quality first job.
PRINT CENTER SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Northwood, OhioMay 19, 2015
This was my first job following high school. The starting pay was pretty good starting off. A typical day involves helping several customers with a variety of print requests, laminations, design work, and other finishing services. The hardest part of the job is the sheer number of customers during peak hours, often while working the department solo.

1 2 3 4 5

About Office Depot OfficeMax

If you'd like for me to upload, just need to confirm logo..assuming the logo from the careers site, but want to confirm since – Read more

Office Depot OfficeMax Salaries