Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,584 reviews matching the search
Poor district manager drove good employees away
Assiatant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MNAugust 18, 2016
The job was fulfilling until they brought in a new District Manager with minimal people skills. He would come into the store and yell at my hourly associates. He forced us to open early and close late without additional payroll. My coworkers were amazing and most of the customers are quite reasonable. They expect WAY too much from associates considering the low pay and payroll dollars which makes you feel short staffed at all times. It was a great place before the merger with Office Depot.
Pros
room for advancement, decent amount of PTO
Cons
lack of breaks, poor payroll distribution, too much micromanagement
Hostile and uncoopritive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2016
The management of this particular store give no training to new employees and when questions are asked they act as though you are incompetent. The pay is so low that you have take a second job due to the fact you can't get enough hours to make it even worth staying there. The store manager was not willing to work with scheduling to allow to have a second job. Also the district manager was Napoleonic person who belittled the staff whenever he/she came in.
Distribution Operation
Warehouse Associate/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAAugust 1, 2016
My typical day at work at office depot is I process work order and run batch for employees to start. Dealing with customer order and
keeping track on the work flow. I learn that communication and understanding the need to get things done. I do get along very well with managers and co-workers. They are friendly and easy to work with. The hardest is still learning something new when printer break down. The most enjoyable job is when I get my job done daily.
The wrong in retail
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 26, 2016
Poor training. Poor communication. Unbelievably unrealistic expectations. If you can imagine someone clapping with one hand, you can imagine the quality of the leadership of this company. Every day in this place is worse than the day before. Every day you have someone complaining that are not selling the "right" thing, even if your sales are positive. Poor product selections, and services that are very overpriced. Company and leadership lack integrity and intelligence.
Pros
They will not survive current retail environment.
Cons
From the moment you enter until you leave, it is miserable.
Great stepping stone to build a career in sales
Sales & Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 3, 2016
The company as a whole has been going through many changes over the last couple years. Huge changes in upper management all the way down to in-store culture has been shifted around on a quarterly basis. There is a little hope of career advancement, and there is no clear progression planning in place in a district level.

Overall, it is a perfect job for someone looking to build upon their previous experience, but not for someone who has a career in mind.
Friendly and Customer Orientated
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 8, 2016
I worked for two stores and the first store I was at for over a year and I loved it. My manager was kind yet strict. He helped all of the employees learn their strong points and put them in positions where we would succeed. He would often buy the staff lunch or other treats when we performed well. The second store was a complete circus. The manger made it very clear that he didn't care who did what when and it caused nothing to get done. Unfortunately that made me leave the company.
Homely
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bonney Lake, WAAugust 11, 2016
I arrived at 6am Tuesday thru Saturday to unload freight from pallets and put them on roll carts. Once that was all complete would take 2 carts out to unload them on the sales floor or they didn't have the room, I would scan it into inventory and put it up. As soon as the customers walked in the door we greet them and ask if they need help with finding something. I only left cause hours were being cut by corporate.. Absolutely loved the staff!
Pros
great staff, wide variety of people, morning shifts
Fast-Pace but enjoyable environment
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work consists of pulling bulk orders on an order picker forklift. Loading and unloading trucks with a stand up pallet jack or a stand up fork lift. We also sort out product for delivery at the end of the night.
I've learned to be patient in a busy, fast-pace environment with a lot of people. I've also learned new functions and how to show my leadership skills to new people.
The hardest part of the job is actually what I stated above, being patient.
The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things. I try hard to do my best in a fast, yet accurate manner. Customer is the number one priority and they are the reason we have jobs.
Great last 1.5 years working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 23, 2016
For the last year and a half, I have been a front-end Sales Associate for Kapolei Office Max. I have to say the management team was every encouraging, friendly and accommodating to your needs as an employee. The culture of quality service that they urge for customers is the same familial experience as an employee. I've learned a lot in my time with them. Would definitely recommend for those attending college and would like a competitive part-time job.
Pros
Competitive pay in comparision to other part-time jobs, Great for college students.
Cons
Sporadic hour cuts, can be busy in-store
Fun workplace.
Hardware/Software Technician (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTAugust 24, 2016
Troubleshoot customers personal computers that they would bring in. Find out what's wrong with the computer, then fix it or if issue is more time consuming, have remote tech access diagnostic fix the problem. Learned how to fix software problems or glitches.

Was sometimes difficult to hit compensation goals from lack or customers.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
To much turn around on employees coming and going. Staff always needed training.
Excellent working place, one lunch break, and one fifteen minute break.
Consultant Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2016
The staff was ready to go work at a moments time, busy all day long, helping each other, and being very knowledgeable about their work and job. I worked along with an excellent group of intelligent people, great staff and excellent customers.
Pros
One hour lunch break, one fifteen minute break, and great breakfast feast for the teachers.
Cons
Some customers were rude and impolite.
Productive and customer focused environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Temple City, CAJuly 13, 2016
Employees focus on customers and do their best to satisfy their needs. You cannot please everyone and management needs to be strong leaders for their employees so they can do well. Management needs to motivate employees. Working in a team and good communication with each other is important for things to run smoothly. The hardest part is when customers get really upset about certain things. I enjoy working with my fellow coworkers.
Multitasking
Sales Associate/ Copy and Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 8, 2016
A day at the Copy and Print center was typically fast pace, multitasking with different projects, and working with customer. I learned organization is key to any job, especially when different projects are getting done. Also, communication between yourself and the customer in order to get the job done correctly and professionally. Management was pretty well organized and communication among one another, as well as with the associates. The hardest part of the job was working with customers and their time limit of when they wanted the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job was that customers knew you by name and I already knew what they came into the store for.
I loved it here
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Garfield Heights, OHAugust 12, 2016
Leaving this place was so hard. I made about 10 lifelong friends. Very easy to make friends here. My managers were awesome and always gave me outstanding references whenever I needed one. We all supported each other. I worked at two different locations and loved both. The atmosphere was great which is the reason i stayed for 2+ years. Turnover at my stores were little to none because everyone loved working here.My favorite part of the year was back-to-school because we always had such cute school accessories. Im sad I left this company, but hours became very minimal due to many new hires. I started here when I was a sophomore in high school and now I'm graduated. Officemax is great for teens or for a first job.
Pros
People, management, location
Cons
Pay, hours
Productive workplace with a lot of client interaction
Print Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis Park, MNAugust 22, 2016
Production pipeline was streamlined however, training was minimal. I was able to develop experience in operations of the print department as well as managing a team of creatives. Very much a fly by the seat of your pants and learn as you go operation. The hardest part of the job is simply managing the balance between assisting clients and hands-on production work.
A great workplace
Sales / Impress Associate (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNAugust 6, 2016
I really appreciate my coworkers and the management of OfficeMax. My coworkers provide a healthy team environment, good communication, ongoing support, and affirmation. I learned a lot about customer service, retail, graphic design, and now I oversee the printing department. The hardest part of my job is the the lack of full-time employment and hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is the work culture that includes teamwork, supportive colleges, ongoing support, and encouragement. A typical day at work involves customer service, responding to online and walk in orders, design and layout, printing services, and services through FedEx.
Pros
healthy team environment and ongoing support
Cons
inconsistent hours and lack of full-time employment
Fun workplace with effective and knowledgeable team
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 29, 2016
The store was often not busy allowing for very personal customer interaction. All members of the team are motivated and efficient. Here I learned many skills such as task oriented time management, team leadership and motivation, and effective selling behaviors. The most difficult part of this job was moving very heavy furniture from the back of the store, and loading it in cars which could on occasion be too small. The most enjoyable part of this job was helping a customer get exactly what they needed and becoming a trusted adviser to them each time they returned.
Pros
Good Benefits, Great Team
Cons
Policy changes often
Productive and always on the move
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAJune 23, 2016
Typical Day at work involves getting freight done. In the Logistics Team, we have to sort out the inventory for the delivery and stock up on merchandise. Always on the move and never a dull moment. Learned a lot of new skills like how to do mobile transaction, place order for customers online, and occasionally man the register. Fellow Associates are more than willing to lend a helping hand if you ever need one. Work involves a lot of lifting items for restocking but overall time fly by so quickly when you are always busy.
Pros
Associates Discount and freebees from time to time
Cons
Not enough work hours
Good
Logistics Specialist/Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 23, 2016
I rather enjoyed my time at Office Depot. The environment was very professional, and the work was on par with my ability. My only complaint was the elder supervisor, as he would create problems where there weren't any. They were many customers to tend to at time, but we all worked as a team for the most part t oget the job done. The hardest paart was dealing with the manager, as for the fact that he would bring up something that wasnt really an issue, or blame me for prblems I had no part in or control over, and then resume to not give me a proper way to fix or address the issue.
Pros
Discount, Teamwork
Cons
Customers were always disgruntled
Asking for more and giving less
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2016
The company is decent overall, but it has no sense of what's really happening at the store level. There is constantly talk of providing fantastic customer service, driving sales, and hitting lofty goals. However, there is no support from a payroll perspective to achieve what the company is asking for. I can't imagine why a part time associate would work for this company instead of working for someone that offers better pay and asks for a reasonable work load for that pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.

Office Depot OfficeMax Reviews by Location