Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,508 reviews matching the search
Office Max
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJuly 22, 2016
Some of the managers are not helpful and do not listen to associates . Hardest part of the job is trying to express your problem of the task to the managers. Most enjoyable part of the job are the associates and being able to sell goods.
Pros
Learn selling tactics
Fun place to work
Operations/ Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 22, 2016
Went out of business never had chance to advance with company. Other then that perfect place to work, very good environment and the training you where given was spot on
Pros
Learning technology
Cons
Where none until going up of business
Decent first job
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 21, 2016
For my first job this place was alright, taught me the basics of working in a service and retail industry. The management was my only complaint, because no matter what I did to tell them I had school on certain days they somehow always and consistently screwed up and magically forgot I went to school.
Pros
Good coworkers/staff
Cons
Flawed scheduling system
fun
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDJuly 21, 2016
great place for a job learn alot of new things and get to meet new people and also build connections, great staff very friendly and
Great overall experience.
Customer Service Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOJuly 20, 2016
Positive working relationships. Store is neat and displayed well. Pay and benefits are a plus for this company. Customers are made to feel welcome.
Pros
Neat and clean store, staff very welcoming and helpful
Cons
At times there is no one in front of the store to greet and welcome
it was great in the workplace
Copy and Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 20, 2016
it was great place to work but a lot of not treat fairly all the mangers and associate the was ok to work with the mangers was a little bit unorganized but the associates was great to work with.
Pros
it was a good place to work
Cons
was treatly fairly
Head to head
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 20, 2016
A typical day at Office Depot is known to be busy and hectic.
Co-workers really did not come because of placement, pay, and assistant managers that where on duty during their shifts.
Cons
Not enough hours and promoted from outside instead of in
Positive
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 19, 2016
here we still had to work hard but we were helped by the store manager a lot, this is before they transferred him
the new store manager in y opinion wasn't great and is assistant absolutely not
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2016
Office Depot gave me the standards of retail and how to use it to be a successful manager. Office Depot provided a lot of room for advancement and growth.
Clerk
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 19, 2016
As a cashier I helped ring people of their purchases, I also helped them find their products. If they had questions on anything, I helped to explain the product.
I answered the phone periodically.
Co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
nice people to work with. good atmosphere.
Cons
Long standing hours
Quiet Workplace
Freight/Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 18, 2016
It is a great workplace, but the management has some things to work on. The store manager does not know how to apply work hours across the associates. You are able to tell that the managers do not communicate, meaning that they were a lot of things unorganized and I was to blame even when the schedule proved me to be absent.
Pros
Quiet and Steady
Cons
Bad Management
love the people i worked with
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJuly 18, 2016
It was a fun place to work, it was like family. You were able to work in different areas, so your days were always different.
Great fellow employees, team orientated
Impress Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYJuly 18, 2016
I have spent a long time with OfficeMax and I speak highly of them for employment. I was offered knowledge on a daily basis to better my job productivity and I also moved up with in the company. I enjoyed working with my fellow employees as we were like a family unit.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Pay
Not the best place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJuly 18, 2016
Worst job I've ever had. Constantly changing schedules, no communication between employees and management. I started coming in at 7:30 then changed to 8 then to 9. Now it may change to 10. All within 3 months of working here. When it's busy they expect you to work 12+ hours everyday and when it's not they try and keep you under 40 hours a week off a minimum salary! No matter you're experience they will start you with bottom pay. When I had my interview they told me the starting pay was 12.50 hr for equipment operators. I asked for 13.50 and never heard anything else about it. Turnover rate is high and nobody is ever happy to come to work. It's a lot of people who are itching to find another job do to the treatment of employees. I always wonders why they called me within 5 mins of me putting in my application. The only real positive I can say about this job is the people you meet but even that's not worth your sanity.
Pros
Feed us sometimes.
Cons
Just about everything
Great place to save money
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 16, 2016
A typical work day , inspecting the pallet jack before use, picking up the scanning equipment, and looking out for other drivers.The job is fast paced, the other employees were friendly, and management was always their.
Pros
I learned how to drive a forklift
Cons
Pay days were bi-weekly
Office Supplies to the Max
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 15, 2016
Great working environment for employees.
Great selection of products at great prices.
Great co-workers to make the job more enjoyable.
Officedepot is a great company to work for and make your way up to the top all the management team is perfect and all your coworkers have good cs
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAJuly 15, 2016
My review will be that I would work back for this company they care about their employees and they customers
Just another place.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 15, 2016
Office Depot is another typical micromanaged business.The upper management will only converse with the Store manager and unless the place is really burning down or you make a mistake, You will never be addressed.
Pros
10% employee discount.
Cons
limited breaks, and stifling managerial practices.
enjoyable
Certified Tech Advisor (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 14, 2016
Associates were fun to work with. learned a lot about office supplies. The best part is helping customers find the right printer
Good Learning and Work Experience in the Print Center
Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  Katy, TX and Topeka, KSJuly 14, 2016
Overall, I enjoy working for Office Depot/OfficeMax. I've learned how to communicate with customers better about what they're wanting, and I've learned how to prioritize jobs in the fast-paced environment that is the Print Center. On a personal level, I've also gained invaluable knowledge of different production processes, as well as knowledge on how to set up and send digital files to a printer correctly.

Working in the Print Center will often be very hectic, but you have to stay calm and learn how to manage your time. You'll be bouncing back and forth between working on a project to assisting a customer at the counter to answering phone calls and emails, all in a timely manner and (hopefully) without making anyone upset.

My co-workers make it easier though, especially when our shifts overlap and there are 2-3 of us working and assisting customers. We also try to divide responsibilities so one of us isn't more overwhelmed than the others.

Most of the managers I've worked with have also contributed to my overall good experience with this company. A manager can either be a help or a hindrance, depending on their knowledge of the Print Center.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the look on a customer's face when they receive their completed project and it looks exactly like (or better than) they expected. I've had adult customers actually jump up and down because they were so excited.

The hardest part of the job is probably time management, as mentioned. Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day, and you'll have to stay a bit late so that the
  more... next person on shift isn't overwhelmed with orders.

I can't comment on the quality of any benefits that Office Depot/OfficeMax has, since I've only ever been part-time. But overall I have and do enjoy working at 2 of their stores.
Pros
Very flexible hours; will work with your school schedule

Office Depot OfficeMax Reviews by Location