Office Depot OfficeMax

4.1K reviews

Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Office Depot
Customer Resolution Specialist (Current Employee), Itasca, ILAugust 31, 2015
Enjoy working there. Fun atmosphere, hours are great. Training if fun and easy. Manager is AWESOME. Co-workers are wonderful. Work on computer all day.
Good place to work pre merger but merger and workforce reduction difficult.
Sr. Dir. Credit, Collections, Cash Application (Former Employee), Itasca, ILAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Working with upper management on meaningful projects
Cons: Going through the downsizing and outsourcing involved with the merger/acquisition.
OfficeMax was a great place to work and with the merger involving Office Depot, things got more difficult as my areas were outsourced. The actions took a great deal of time and that wore on people in their day to day work.
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee), USAAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits relaxed environment
Cons: Work life balance
I enjoy working for Office Depot at their distribution center. There is room for advancement if you work hard. I've seen 4 normal associates turn into managers over time. As long as you put in work there is room to grow.
Easy going and flexible environment, especially if you're a student
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Flexible, Easy going, you'll meet fun people
Cons: Corporate sets ridiculous rules, Not a high paying job, Advancement is hardly worth the pay increase
A pretty fun place to work at, mostly due to the awesome coworkers I had. The company is very flexible when it comes to the hours you work, but they are atrocious in compensating their employees. There were two years were the company didn't even bother giving anyone a raise.
work harder better faster stronger...or else
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: paycheck
Cons: hours cut, increased demand, crazy sales expectations
Worked here as Ops for 4yrs, working at 4am to get freight out...I made $5/hr less than the person who came after me and eventually my crew went from 5ppl to 2ppl and we were constantly told to get the freight out (despite more freight coming in!), clean up after night crew left it a mess, and if we couldn't get it done and do it faster they would find someone else to do it.
On top of this each person is required to sell so much ($50-$300) a day in warranties and we are coached constantly and watched like hawks as we pester and annoy customers into buying worthless warranties.
IT Department manager
IT Department Manager (Former Employee), Plano, TXAugust 29, 2015
• Monitor incoming requests and alerts. Provide routing and assignment for internal or external reported customer issues.
• Perform new account startup and Maintenance activities. Setup Tele Service related information such as account assignments and Oracle Tele Service Territories.
• Create and update procedures for external customer facing systems. Provide customers with the -training material needed to use the system correctly, including web session training.
• ISS personnel time entry. Enter time for all personnel who report an absence.
• Used Active directory to enter in new employees into server 2012
Productive, Fun, Challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. Croix, US Virgin IslandsAugust 29, 2015
Cons: Short lunch breaks, no healthcare benefits, no 401k, etc
A typical day at OfficeMax is usually productive. Customers come in at a steady pace, some with concerns about a product that they are interested in buying, usually routers, external hard drives, desktops, laptops etc. Being proficient and very knowledgeable in the tech field, its usually an easy task but interacting with customers helped me to grow not only socially but professionally. I got better – more... and better at sales. This were usually the most enjoyable part of working there. My passion for helping others in a field that I love to be around. My co-workers were awesome, we were all close and very helpful to each other. We looked out for each other and we were a team. Management were very strict so that we always perform our best. The hardest part is making sure we reach daily, weekly, monthly & yearly goals. Overall I learned that any company is as strong as the team members just as much as having a strong leader or management. Team work is very important and it helps us move together. – less
Very fun environment.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Folsom, CAAugust 28, 2015
Pros: really rude inappropriate coworkers and petty clicks
Cons: commission based sales, opportunity to grow and learn.
I really miss working for this company . I enjoyed knowing the product knowledge for this company and being able to help my customers find anything they needed in the store. i really appreciate the training i gained from this company .
Working as a Team Player
Copy and Print Supervisor (Former Employee), High Point, NCAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Break Times, Copy and Print Quality
Cons: Benefits, Low Incentives
Everyone needs to be a team player but working with customer service was very difficult. All the employees were very friendly with a happy go lucky attitude. Things got done in a timely manner but Management seemed they didn't have that team player attitude. Customers that enjoyed their service was all ways returning to a Sales Associate that they had interacted in past visits.
Decent workplace, mixed feelings overall.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Monroeville, PAAugust 27, 2015
Workplace is decent enough, hours are good for a part time employee. Wage is above minimum. Managers are friendly as are co-workers.
Fastpaced challenging, good culture
Customer Service (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 27, 2015
Document reproduction, binding, shipping, desktop graphics, respond to customer email, laminating. Management support, training and development good colleagues fulfill customer orders. Cross training.
Would be great opprotunity given managment and company procedure was better.
Senior Sales Tech Associate (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNAugust 27, 2015
Pros: experiences, opportunity for commission
Cons: poor training, manager isnt supportive
Would be a greatly beneficial work environment with potential to learn alot of work place skills, given management and training was better. Poor training and delegation leads to a poorly ran store. Work load of the store falls on the shoulders of the dedicated associates. Company changes and procedures are not effectively passed down to employees. A few good workers and 1 great shift lead cant carry a store.
A very nice place to be
Store Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham alAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Being able to be yourself
Cons: Rude customers
Working in customer services industry requires alot of patiences no matter how rude a customer may be the customer is always right.
How could people think of applying here?!
Tech Support Specialist/Cashier (Former Employee), Orem, UTAugust 26, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Poor treatment from company, corporate dictators, Competition demanded but never rewarded, Unflexible
I hope no one applies to this place. We had 7 people walk off the job in the 2 weeks I had put in my notice that I was leaving. After I left, everyone else quit their jobs on the spot as well. I didn't get paid until I had worked there for 2 months and I made minimum wage at a place where they work you to the bone. I was one of the top 3 sellers in our 17 store district and I was punished for it. If – more... I didn't make a sale, I'd have a manager pull me aside and tell me what a failure I was and that I had to try harder. We made our sales goal one month and the store manager saw that we had and changed what the goal was at the last minute. I even had a manager right after I started grabbed my arm and dragged me forcefully away from the register causing me to hit the cabinets behind the registers because I didn't know how to ring up a very unique transaction. No one had taught it to me before and I ended up getting chewed out for 15 minutes for it after being physically dragged. If you weren't selling enough, they would write you up for it and do everything they could to force you out of the company. Our store wasn't the only store where it was happening though! Just a couple miles away, those employees dealt with the same problems! So I know it wasn't just our store, this company is evil. – less
No Transparency Into BonusEarnings
Sr Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Compensation
There was no way to track attainment for quarterly bonuses that was true to payout. Every manager had their own formulated spreadsheets and would go head to head with the compensation department every quarter. Often a bonus payout would go up or down 20 points overnight with no explanation. There is a lot of head shaking and commiserating when bonuses payout as you don't know what yours will be until the day it pays. Very frustrating.
Enjoyed the work, but low pay and dead end
Copy & Print Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: First to know about sales & clearance
Cons: No advancement opportunities, low pay
I worked in Copy & Print and loved the job itself, but the corporate culture was terrible. They pay you as little as they can get away with and don't really ever give raises. Favoritism is rampant.
good working place
Java UI Developer (Current Employee), Bocaraton, FLAugust 26, 2015
Pros: FREE LUNCHES
Cons: long hours
i love working under that management
co-workers are very supportive
clients helping me a lot to learn new things
i am comfortable working in this place
Office depot Lauderhill loction
Customer Service/ Freight (Former Employee), LauderhillAugust 26, 2015
Do not work at this store location. Bad management. Customers are great and understanding. If you were to work for this company find another location. Avoid by all means!
no future
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Elk Grove Village, ILAugust 25, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
they hire managers without any experience from the outside. Promotions from within are virtually unheard of. The pay is garbage, and benefits are worse. The company is outdated it's wonder they are still in business.
Sales/ Technical Consultant (Current Employee), Voorhees, NJAugust 25, 2015
Cons: none
Fun and Productive workplace. The management is very supportive. I have school and they are able to work with my school schedule and happy I work for this company. Best choice I made so far
Industry