Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Found 4,713 reviews matching the search
Challenging, but fun work environment
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MI 48334September 28, 2016
Working at Office Depot Max was interesting. The range of people met while working there was a span I never could have imagined. The success of the day always depended on who the manager on duty was as well as which associates were working. This location had very few hard-working, reliable associates which was quite disappointing, but the management team did what they could to help out. The most enjoyable part was some of the regular customers. Working back in the print department my last month or so allowed me to gain closer connections with some of the customers, which is not as typical in other locations in the store.
Pros
401K benefits, healthcare
Cons
typical stress of retail job
"Practice What Your Preach" is Not a Policy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CASeptember 28, 2016
Worked for this company for 5 years doing any and everything asked of me. I was always in the top of my group with regard to sales, training and everything else they gauge success on. I started working there at a pay rate of $22.50 an hour and received a pay raise every year and yet I left there with a pay rate of $21.50 an hour. I was number one or number 2 in sales every week and every month for every store I worked at. I trained entire staff and got them to improve the stores overall sales. Our store went from ranked in the 700's to ranked #3 in the entire company in 2014. Our store "grading" system is a 0.0 - 3.0 but technically you can get a 4.0 as well though it's nearly impossible. Our store was able to reach the 4.0 point while I lead our store and our store lead the district in a new program for repairing phones. We had been #1 since it's inception and never lost the title. Then they fired me for "performance" Figure that one out. The district manager retired right after they fired me and his unethical behavior was shared throughout the district with 9 of the store managers (the ones I worked with at one point or another). The store manager who replaced him as the district manager also happens to be the one who he got to fire me. She's actually not as bad but was put into a situation without knowing what was truly going on. This company may not be terrible. But I can only give my opinion based on the district I worked in. If the rest of the company is the same as district 28, run away as fast as you can.
Pros
Cons
Unethical Management from store manager to district manager to HR representatives, making it impossible to have someone to go to with an issue.
Friendly, but stressful environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 28, 2016
A typical day at Office Depot isn't complete without feeling stressed for at least 3 straight hours of your shift. The entire Office Depot Associate role depends on assisting and putting up with people who are either too stupid or needlessly rude. Being paid at minimum wage and getting stuck in the popular departments with next to zero training is also part of my typical day. They try to make us focus on greeting every customer, using the sales model every time, and constantly recapping everything over the radio.
The managers can be easy to get along with and talk to, depending on who you get. The higher-ups in this company clearly get the attention and praise. They hire managers who have experience in only one or two departments. It's almost like the higher the position, the less you know about how things work, like the machines in Copy & Print for example.
Scheduling is flexible, you can trust that your manager will set you for your available time. They're great about getting help to an associate who is backed up with customers and always strive for excellent customer service.
Co-workers are the same as anywhere, it depends on the town you live in. My store seems to have no standards on who they hire.
Working at Office Depot is almost like going to High School: you're constantly having to work with people who aren't as educated as you, and your higher ups are just as childish as the customers, but if you're lucky, you'll get that select crew of associates that just make your day and you feel like friends.
After the day slows down a bit, Office Depot can be carefree almost
  more... and actually stress free. I've been working with this company for a year and a half now, I can't say I regret it, not at all, but I am tired of it.
The biggest issue I have with Office Depot is something that took place recently. In January they promised the top 100 stores that we'd be getting a huge payout for commissions we've made over the past year. In March, when the payout was supposed to take place, they told us they weren't going to be doing that this year. To compensate, they raised minimum pay from 8.50 to 8.80 per hour. Whoo.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, Friendly staff, Personable managers, Flexible scheduling
Cons
Short breaks, Stressful, Not enough pay, Hard to get promoted
Print Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FL 33134September 28, 2016
At office I learned a lot about the different MS programs. I got better and faster when it came to using them. The work was a bit tough but fun. I recommend it.
ugh
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WASeptember 27, 2016
the work is good and its easy work but the hours and the "team" togetherness is non existant. i enjoyed my job. but i didnt like how it was ran, how there was favorites. and if you wherent one of the favorites good luck getting hours or getting any sign of respect.
Pros
easy work
Cons
not enough hours
Overall not a bad place to work if you are Management
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORSeptember 27, 2016
As a manager I would say its a good company with room to grow, but with office depot and OfficeMax in merge, the OfficeMax side seems to have taken quite the blow between the two companies. Many OfficeMax stores are closing down because Office depot is essentially the primary company in the business model. For part time, it was an easy job with flexible hours.
Pros
effective training's
Cons
short lunch, understaffed, low payroll
It has been many years since I worked for these companies
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 27, 2016
Both Office Depot & Office Max were good Companies to work for back in the 1990's. Both were growing Store count and doing a lot of internal promotion.
Average Job
Logistics Worker (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDSeptember 26, 2016
Good Work Environment, With overall welcome to the team. Free Breakfast, Lots of Hands on Work, Good Managemant. The pay wasn't bad for the job that was done.
Pros
Free Breakfast
Cons
Early Shift
Fun job and good people
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 26, 2016
People are nice. work is easy. Start off with Freight truck and then follow on down the list. Hired to do more than one position but work is really easy
Overall Ok company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 26, 2016
The company is ok, but there was no room to grow and gain promotions. If you are looking for something part time/ not long term, it is an ok job.
Productive fun place to work
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 26, 2016
Good place to work just not enough hours .One week they give you 6 hours and the next week they give you 20 hours. Overall it is a fun place to work at.
ever changing market place, mergers and aqusitions creat instability
District Sales Manager, Federal / Commercial (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 26, 2016
Good working environment with a lot of responsibility. I was able to run a 40 million dollar business. developed people and my team to succeed,given a lot of responsibility.
Nice people
customer service to diverse groups of people (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 25, 2016
Management was great, but there were't much opportunities for advancement and raises were never given out. I learned how to do lots of design work in copy and print.
Pros
free breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Good Place To Work
Copy and Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 25, 2016
Office Depot was a great job. Always started the day with greeting employees and the management was always willing to work with your schedule. Coworkers were always happy to help you out. Hardest part of the job was the hours for holidays because it got so busy at times but nothing too difficult.
fun workplace
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Reston, VA 20190September 24, 2016
It was a pleasure working at Office Depot, it is a place that takes customer service seriously but also balances the typical daily work so you can enjoy doing what you do.
Great workplace
TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLSeptember 24, 2016
Love working in something i love doing which is Tech, helping others in decisions and making friends along the way i couldn't ask for a greater work place!
Fun workplace
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Good job very professional and very flexible with work schedule . Managers are very nice and understands everyday situations that occur outside of work
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short breaks
New ceo, management changed frequently
IMPRESS AND STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILSeptember 23, 2016
Their benefits were nice, but the pay was not equating to the job, due to lack of staffing. I was expected to do two persons jobs; they phrased it as "super tech" to make not it seem positive, but still paid same wage.
Good place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILSeptember 23, 2016
Excellent work life balance. Unstable environment with pending mergers originally with Officedepot, then Staples.
Ideal job if you need a flexible schedule
Sales Associate-Print (Current Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHSeptember 23, 2016
I enjoy my position in the Print Center. My co-workers and management are great. The relationships I've personally built with my regular customers is heartwarming.
Pros
co-workers, management, customer base
Cons
hours per week

Office Depot OfficeMax Reviews by Location