Office Depot OfficeMax
3,731 reviews

Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Productive and a great place to work.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Mount Dora, FLMay 23, 2015
Pros: able to up sell and bring in extra money
Cons: Wish it was Full time
this is a great company to work for they are like family and everyone is very helpful and patient with me. I am happy to come in to work every day and ready to learn more. the management does not hesitate to tell me when i am doing a good job.
Good Place for a First Job
Technology Associate (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMay 23, 2015
Pros: Tuition Reimbursement
The company really pushes goal driven employees and following the code of ethics. It is retail but is a good way to get experience dealing with troublesome situations.
Rewarding and fun!
FRONT END SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Cullman, ALMay 21, 2015
There is always room for improvement at Office Max. Also no good deed goes unnoticed! It was always fun, never boring, and I loved the managers!
Great Surrounding
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 21, 2015
One Of The Best Jobs I had the people were always smiling and helpful. a typical day at work was simple just unloading a truck and stocking products.
Indeed is a great and resourceful tool.
SR BI DEVELOPER (Former Employee), Grand Prairie, TXMay 20, 2015
Pros: there are free lunches in America, I would have love to earn it.
Cons: Breaks are essential and a relieve to reenergize mentally for continues work.
I balance work time with family time to balance stress level to normalcy. I work hard and have lots of fun. I look forward to getting my next position through Indeed.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Sunset Valley, TXMay 20, 2015
Pros: Positive Reinforcement
Cons: Managerial Inconsistency, no benefits
Grew knowledge in selling products
Helped with logistics with placing inventory on the sales floor
Friendly competition between co-workers
Positive reinforcement from co-workers
Teamwork

The best part of the job was experiencing working with a diversity of individuals who also have great work ethic!
Fun Workplace with great opportunities for customer interaction
Technology Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Boynton Beach, FLMay 19, 2015
Office Depot is a great company that allows its workers to help customers both meet and exceed their workplace/office needs and wants.
Don't work for this company
Sales consultant (Current Employee), Seguin, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: It's a job...
Cons: Short breaks (30min), No help, Lousy pay, counterproductive rules, employees are expendable
Let me start by saying that I have no issues with this specific store...

The problem with this company lies in its corporate offices. They seem to be more concerned with making their budget than they are with actually taking care of their stores, employees, and customers.

I will probably lose my job for posting this (If they even care / read it) but I don't really care at this point...I'm tired of it.

They treat all employees (except the store managers) as expendable but at the same time they expect us to keep their product flowing off the shelves.

We get a 30minute lunch break if we're scheduled more than 6 hours for the day...but if we are stopped by a customer on that lunch break, we have to help them even though we're off the clock. We also have to bring in shopping carts that are left in the parking lot if we see them on our way back in from getting food. This often means that half or more of the "break" ends up depleted before we can even sit down to eat...

The same goes for coming in / leaving for the day...If we are stopped by a customer, we have to help them or we can be disciplined (even terminated) -- Last I checked it was illegal to force people to work without pay.

We are supposed to "Take care of the customer" and let the managers worry about the rest...but that in itself is absolutely impossible due to corporate. They cut the payroll company-wide so there's no way to keep the manpower needed in order to help every customer, and at the same time they give us tons of things that "we have to get done every day or it shows up on a report" and somehow – more... expect us to get it all finished before 11am in most cases--as 11am is "D.E.P.O.T Time" which stands for "Drop Everything, People Over Tasks"

On paper, this is a great idea, but in practice it becomes overwhelmingly impossible...as most days we only have 2-3 people (including management) working at any given time due to payroll constraints.

What this results in is upset customers that take their frustrations out on the associates...or file a corporate complaint against the associate or store...and then corporate punishes the store/associate for it...sad but true.

Pay is an absolute joke...They pay the full time associates roughly $9 an hour...That includes the computer / tech department associates. $9 x 36 hours a week comes out to a little over $500 per check after taxes...and that's if you don't buy into the health benefits program which would take upwards of $125 off.

Part time associates don't even get offered health benefits and are lucky to get more than 24 hours a week in order for the company to save money vs having to offer them a health plan (sidestepping Obamacare)

Schedules are flexible but sometimes get changed and the associate is not made aware of this...other times something comes up and an associate can't come in and even if they give a week's notice, still get scheduled and are chided for not showing up.

The "Tech Support" is also a joke thanks to new rules sent down from corporate. They mandated that tech associates are not allowed to run any repair tools that were not supplied by the company, but refuse to provide them with any tools...so they are supposed to somehow diagnose customer's problems with no tools.

The excuse I have been given for this is "The tech associates aren't supposed to be the ones fixing the computers, we pay support.com to do that. The tech associates are supposed to be running the free pc health check tool and selling the customers the service it recommends and nothing more."

They aren't even allowed to replace hard drives--one of the more basic computer repairs--because the Standard Operating Procedure is all hardware issues should be sent to "Central Repair" -- $350+ for a laptop if it's not the screen that's damaged...

This, to me, is shady practice and misleading to the customers...as there is a rather large red banner on the outside of the store that says "We Fix Computers!" along with a metal sign saying something similar.

If you walked into a store with a computer expecting it to get fixed, and they told you --without even looking at it because they aren't allowed-- that it would be $350 , would you go back? I wouldn't either.

The management team (at this store anyway) is great --for the most part...-- and tries its hardest to make due with what corporate has thrown them. But it's not enough to fix it.

They are so overwhelmed with trying to keep things above water that between their required tasks, and people not coming to work, often several associates go their entire shift for days at a time with no lunch break due to no relief.

There was also a recommended staffing guideline not too far back that said the only people on staff after mid-day should be the manager, and the copy/print associate...in order to alleviate budget concerns. How do they expect to keep the company going when they don't want to pay their employees / keep their stores staffed well enough to take care of their customers?

It's a highly stressful work environment most of the time, as there's usually only ONE associate (and possibly one manager) on the sales floor at any given time having to deal with the majority of the customers. This is unfair to both the customer and the employees.

All of this for barely more than minimum wage, from a company that boasts about its billions in profit...

Bottom line : I will never recommend this company to anyone as an employer, or for tech support. – less
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Suwanee, GeorgiaMay 19, 2015
Great group of people to teach and train and work with on all levels. There was always a focus on teaching the new people how to develop the right way.
A quality first job.
PRINT CENTER SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Northwood, OhioMay 19, 2015
This was my first job following high school. The starting pay was pretty good starting off. A typical day involves helping several customers with a variety of print requests, laminations, design work, and other finishing services. The hardest part of the job is the sheer number of customers during peak hours, often while working the department solo.
A great place to work!
Manager II (Former Employee), Norcross, GA.May 18, 2015
Pros: Positive work environment.
Cons: Bad economy that affected the bottom line.
Office Depot was a well organized Company that offered advancement opportunities and great benefits. The Company promoted an environment of inclusion. Each day presented a new challenge. In addition, Office Depot invested in its employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people; from the Vice President of Customer Service, Director, Managers and the hourly associates. Everyone worked as a team. I enjoyed working for this Company!
Cashier (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAMay 18, 2015
assistant manager did not like the fact that I had to change my schedule because of my school schedule. After working there for a few weeks i was able to add a class and the assistant manager got really mad at me for doing that.
Fast paced environment with friendly coworkers
Logistics associate (Former Employee), Ballard, WAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Pay was above minimum wage at the time
Cons: Early shifts
At the start of the work day I would first have to unload the palettes from the latest shipment into carts of corresponding aisles. once we were finished with that we would bring all the carts out on the floor to restock shelves. Either after we finished all the carts or at 12:00pm we were then instructed to walk about the store helping customers find what they were looking for. If there were new displays that needed to be put up, we would put them up and locate the product in the store to be stocked in the new display.

In this job I learned how to work fast without sacrificing quality. I also learned how to give good customer service and just how important the customers needs are.

Everyone I worked with was great and easy to get along with. None of my coworkers ever interfered with of hindered my ability to work.

The hardest part of working at office max was defiantly the fact that I had to be on my feet constantly moving from place to place for the whole day.

To me the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers. It made me feel good to know where everything in the store in order to help find what the customer was looking for.
great working environment
computer sales technician (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMay 18, 2015
Pros: good scheduling
Cons: less hrs
great motivation, great co-workers ,prizes as incentives for workers to meet their sale goals. Management is very focused and demanding to rive sales and tech services.
OVerall Office Depot Work Experience
Manager (Current Employee), Lake Jackson, TXMay 18, 2015
A typical day at work has me interacting with 50 plus customers directly and another 75+ through other associates. I handle all complaints and special customer Inquiries. I keep track of attendance and payroll. As part of management I help to plan out the projects for the day. The hardest part of the job is handling customer issues that are not caused by the store but by a third party and trying to make everything right in a timely manner. My most enjoyable part is when I get to work with long time customers that I have been able to have personal as well as business conversations with.
Great Starter Job But Nothing More
ImPress Associate (Current Employee), Toledo, OHMay 18, 2015
Pros: Co-workers are fun, Life Balance
Cons: Pay, Mangament, no Benefits, no Advancement, Payroll
I work in the print department, which is the most stressful place.

PROS
STAFF pretty fun for the most part. We generally share common interests

FLEXIBLE They are very flexible when it comes to scheduling. an ideal place if you are in school.

CONS
PAY is low and they expect you do do alot. Pay is minimum wage and to be honest, they ask alot from you, especially at the printing area, where you have to know alot of programs and how printers work with the advance features. alot of things you have to go to college to know about.

PAYROLL is always low. payroll allows you to staff. You have x amount of hours to use on your staff and you can't go over. We always seem to have the minimum amount of people working, which is about 4 to 3 people per shift, so maybe 8 people per day. In our print department, there is 1 person per shift and if it gets busy, sorry charlie. Generally, only the print person knows how to run the equipment back there, so a co-worker will come back to "help", look at the 6 people standing in line and tell the customers they'll have to wait and walk away.

BENEFITS are non-existent unless you are a manger. They work you to the max and then drop your hours, so you don't get anything, like healthcare or paid vacation, because of the payroll they tell me.

ADVANCEMENT is also non-existent. They'll just hire in somebody rather than promote them. I have worked here for 4 years and when a management position came up, I told them I would like to work it and they said they were just going to hire somebody in, instead. This person they have now has had – more... no management experience or experience in the field that they are managing.

MANAGEMENT is a joke. I'm specially speaking of the higher ups. It is sell, sell, sell, get the insurance on said product, sell our brand paper, give them our rewards card, make sure they take the survey, make sure they have our PC cards, ect, ect. They push way too much and micromanage to a fine point. I'm not sure why they are doing this, since in a year, they'll be gutted, since Depot wants to sell themselves to Staples and Staples wants to buy and Depot.

OVERALL, unless you are in school I wouldn't go for it or you really need the work. Plus with Staples buying OfficeDepot, they'll be closing alot of stores soon too.(Sometime next year) – less
Great Experience
Copy and Print Specialist (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALMay 17, 2015
Very good company based in the community. Gave a lot of college students their first jobs and maintained a healthy balance of customer service standards and employee appreciation. The most enjoyable area of my experience was the ability I had to multitask and meet various new people each day.
First Job
Logistics Associate (Former Employee), Shreveport, LaMay 17, 2015
Pros: Good People
Cons: No Cons
My Very First Job After Graduating High School Was a Good One, It Consisted Of Zoning, Stocking, Shipping and Receiving .. I Worked The Paper Wall, The Warehouse and Kept The Store Neat. I Learned A lot About Keeping Things Neat and Orderly, My Manager Was A Hard Worker and So Were My Co-Workers..
OfficeMax is a nice place to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Sanford, FLMay 16, 2015
Pros: Friendy co-workers
Cons: short breaks
Busy days, working freight helping customers. Hardest part is making sure everything is completed on time. Co-workers are awesome, friendly and easy to get along with, as willing to help.
Great Company
Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLMay 16, 2015
Pros: great company, great location, great salary
Cons: pending merger with Staples
Great company that had a positive economic turnaround and showing positive results with promising future.

Employees have tremendous knowledge and loyalty to the company.

Unfortunate merger will lead to job loss as the Corporate offices will at the Staples Corporate offices in MA.

1 2 3 4 5

About Office Depot OfficeMax

If you'd like for me to upload, just need to confirm logo..assuming the logo from the careers site, but want to confirm since – Read more

Office Depot OfficeMax Salaries