Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Found 5,033 reviews matching the search
Good Workplace. Hard to be promoted.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJanuary 22, 2017
You must be comfortable with people if you want to be successful in this type of environment. Can be a good place to work but you just have to apply yourself and do the work.
Pros
Good Work Environment
Cons
Low Wages/ Hard to advance within the company
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJanuary 22, 2017
My experience with Office Depot was as a seasonal associate. They had an excellent and knowledgeable staff and management. The hours were flexible and it was a wonderful working environment.
Good corporate environment
Financial Analyst, Billing (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 22, 2017
Laid back work environment that promotes learning and growth from within. Everyone is there to help with the learning process.
Decent work place
Sales Associate, cashier (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 22, 2017
Decent work place with terrible pay (but what does one expect when minimum wage is below poverty line).

The location I worked at is now gone.
Poor Managment
Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eastpointe, MIJanuary 21, 2017
I worked part time and setup my schedule to have 2 days off the only days I went to school. The manage didn't schedule me for a whole week after that. Then when I finally got scheduled it was on the only 3 days I asked to have off so I could go to school.
Great workplace
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 21, 2017
Great place to gain plenty of experience, better understanding customer service and how to be a team player. The hardest part of the job was that there were no associates that had departments, everyone had to know them all. This was also the best part because you were cross trained on all the areas of the store and were a expert in all fields.
Spurratic Hours and loopholes
COPY AND PRINT SERVICES ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 21, 2017
Worked there for several months. I was started as part time but was eventually scheduled full time hours but no one switched me over in their system which meant I would never be eligible for benefits.
Pros
Higher than average wage
Cons
Customers at that location were ornery. I was yelled and cursed at almost daily.
A very professional business with a fast pace atmosphere
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 20, 2017
Generally the day started at 5 am when the opening manager and I went into the store, I began with verifying the front end cash drawer, balance the daily deposit, adjust sales tags for the daily sales, audit a random department for any discrepancy, then the rest of the day aid on the sales floor to be informative for any guest that required any kind of office supplies of technical equipment.
Pros
Decent medical, dental, and vision; Acceptable vacation time
Cons
Working for a corporation and corporate personal as guest; Always hit the ground running.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYJanuary 20, 2017
A great place to work at but unfortunately it closed down. I learned a lot from my managers and other employees. The most enjoyable part was making planograms and merchandising.
Fun Place
Stocker/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 20, 2017
I help with the remodeling of the store. Worked 3rd shift and overnight stocking. Was able to use a forklift and help customers find product and assist with putting the customer purchase in the car.
Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Store Management gets paid a great rate, but is required to work long hours and there is different standards for every manager. If you thrive on being the best you are held too a higher standard then your peer who doesn't like their job and wants to barely get by with the minimum. In my 11 year tenure with the company I saw maybe 5 store managers let go due too poor performance, while there are still an abundant of managers who fail to meet goals or keep standards too the minimum expectations. Having the corporate headquarters in our backyard as well also proved too be subjective too what a manager had too do compared to other managers in the company who were the same title and pay. Little advancement as the company doesn't hold too one expectation and keeps the bad managers, while the good managers leave for better opportunities and they keep getting looked over for job promotions due to the fact the company can't replace them in their current position.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, No Set Accountability for whole company, They would rather do paper reports on employees then Make Customers #1 Priority
Intense Work environment
Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 20, 2017
A typical day at the register was more so of boring, but once you get to the point where you are experienced enough to cross train into different departments; it's like a whole other ball game! I learned how to sell, how to take little information that a customer could give you and turn it into the exact match that they were looking for, and how to really learn how to talk to a customer one-on-one. The hardest part of the job was easily standing around on the slow days. The most enjoyable would be seeing your customer leave happily because you know you've succeeded in what they came to you for.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
lots of standing
Product driven environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Office Depot is a great place to work. They are all about developing the associates to build confidence is selling technology and meeting customer needs.
Pros
Fast Pace
Cons
Vacation time or PTO
productive workplace
Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  St Thomas, VIJanuary 19, 2017
a typical day at work is busy helping customer and making them happy. I learn a lot and the management is very understanding and helpful. the most enjoyable part of the job is building chairs and desk for customer and watching them leave with a smile on their face.
Fun and safe environment. Great co-workers who bring a lot of energy to the company, including myself
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day at work is getting there 5 minutes before I clock in to get prepared for the day which is 5:55 in the morning. Store does not open until 8 but until then I'm in receiving sorting boxes, preparing them to be brought out onto the floor. Once the store opens I am on the floor assisting customers as well as stocking. At 11 we have something called DEPOT time which means Drop Everything People Over Time. The hardest part of my job is explaining to customers about how printers work and the most enjoyable is when I have to pull furniture from receiving because it kills time.
At office max i was a cashier.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Forest Lake, MNJanuary 19, 2017
At office max i would be behind the register to check people out with the items they need, often times i would be on the sales floor selling people and informing them of the items they were looking foor.
Work for College Student
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Management can get micromanegey and pay isn't fantastic but it is what it is. I have nothing else to say.

They move management around alot
awsome company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILJanuary 18, 2017
low pay but they are a good company to work for and they are a fair company for the most part. hardest part is how often they make changes to the company.
Very boring
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Management was very lazy and didn't want to assist customers with questions.

A typical day consisted to stocking shelves and checking out customers.
Pros
Hours were good.
Cons
Customers were not friendly
Great Design Experience
Store Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Loved designing remodels and new 20,000+ square foot stores for OfficeMax and smaller stores for Grand and Toy in Canada. Learned alot about the Canadian culture of office supply stores and was an important part of the design process for the new prototype. Worked with a great bunch of people. Made lifetime friends.
Pros
Great benefits and salary.
Cons
At the time of employment, I was the only designer. Workload difficult at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.

Office Depot OfficeMax Reviews by Location