Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Found 4,868 reviews matching the search
Sunny, warm and people are friendly
Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 14, 2016
Office Depot/OfficeMax allowed me to work from home, which was big help with work life balance. The management has turned over a lot since the merger and it is still in the early stages of transition.
Fun culture and exciting place to work
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 14, 2016
Fun culture and exciting place to work. High traffic often. Sale goals are set to be met continually. Full time gets 2 breaks and a lunch. The benefits are standard and ok.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Short breaks and open schedule is usally required.
Strong sales-oriented enviroment
Technology Supervisor/Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 10, 2016
Heavy workload, highly competitive as well in regards to selling, Hardest part of the job is most likely working with others who aren't willing to grow as an associate. Most enjoyable part would Helping someone find exactly what they wanted or being able to hand them their PC after completing a service for them and having them leave with it working. The management in most cases is helpful in terms of enabling associates to move forward when its possible.
Pros
Gaining knowledge in the Customer Service industry
Cons
Lack of any real provided certifications through the company
General Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLOctober 21, 2016
Office Depot is a challenging place to work. They have strong core values. Turnover, among exempt and no exempt employees makes is very tough to build a strong team.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Work life balance
Mature environment, room for growth
Lead/Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 17, 2016
Great building, cafeteria is the best in town. Business processes are mature and structured. Co-workers are dedicated. Some micro-management culture evident.
Good Place to Work
Warehouseman/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 4, 2016
Good Employer: good benefits, wonderful co-workers, Good pay, location is good for me, The hours are typical,outstanding work environment, management is fair and consistent.
This is a different company from when I started in the early 2000's
Logistics Receiving Freight specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 22, 2016
Its sad to see how far this company has fallen within the last 5 years. Practically all of the honest good managers and employees have left the company on their own will. I started working at Depot at a time when they had Direct TV and if you worked on Sundays during football season, you could watch Sunday NFL ticket when it was slow. I also remember the company having district and regional Holiday Parties.

in 05-06 ish when the new CEO took over things went down hill fast. The 20.00 turkey coupon slowly became 5.00 then disappeared altogether. The company began cutting hours and increasing cost of benefits, then put in a wage increase freeze. Turnover was paramount but I decided to stay throughout the whole mess.

I left in 2014 after 15 years with the company simply because the company wanted younger cheaper workers/management.

I went into the previous store I worked at a few weeks ago and I literally had to use my hands and toes when counting the number of POG that were not updated since I left. I heard the store went through 3 SM's and countless Dept Managers.

Im glad I got out and went into a new industry and never looked back.
Pros
working with veteran employees who understand company politics
Cons
everything except the 1 pro I listed above.
Business Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed working for OfficeMax, as they were flexible and supportive of my college schedule and career goals. I took on a lot of projects in my position, kept myself busy and learned to better manage my time, and communication with customers and management.
Pros
Always received breaks and lunch on time
Great Work Place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 28, 2016
Very fast paced environment where customer service is most important. Being in management took strong communication skills and prioritizing different tasks at hand. Overall the customers and employees were very happy leaving the store everyday.
Pros
advancement
Cons
healthcare
Office Max Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 2, 2016
Worked for a great DM who instilled a sales friendly culture while putting the needs of the associates first. Unfortunately Office Depot and Office Max merged which caused the closing of lots of stores.
Pros
great store leadership / work life balance
Cons
closing stores
Na
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2016
Work as Equipment Operator to complete my daily activities tasks. I work hard as best I can to demonstrating safety, quality and productivity performance and operational expertise. I am required to proficiently perform at least one or more distribution-related activities (e.g. order filling, shipping, receiving, unloading and loading Trucks) on a regular basis with 60% or more of work performed using a forklift, or PIT. Earned several awards in the company (e.g. Bravo card winners, employee of the month winner and big dowg winner award of the month
Fun
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kemah, TXNovember 25, 2016
Its a Good place to work but very demanding, the pay is OK just don't make a career out of it they have a salary cap for lower level employees.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
no breaks
Fast working place.
Sales Associate and Cashier / CPD (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work consists of dealing with many personalities and making sure the customer is always satisfied. I've learned a lot of things while working there such as the register and dealing with money. I also learned new things at the Copy and Print center such as faxing, filing, special copying and scanning. Management was very helpful and lenient. Coworkers are very friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job I would say is dealing with customers.
office depot
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CAJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work I stand at the entrance greeting customers and asking what their needs are to help them find what they need. I cashier, answer phones, and stock items. I have learned to help sell furniture, how to work on the sales floor, and how to use what is called the mobly where we look for item in stock and stock put away and delete.
Management has its ups and downs. They are there when needed.
Co-workers are very lovely to work with and everyone gets along.
Hardest part of my job is when the phones are ringing off the hook and I am attending to a customer, No one else is willing to answer them so i have to ignore the customer I am assisting to answer a phone no one else wants to answer. It is a bit frustrating because I do not like to ignore the person I am assisting to answer a phone I feel it is rude.

Most enjoyable part would be getting hours.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
hardly any work hours
A great learning experience for my first job.
Sales Associate, Cashier, Stocker (Former Employee) –  2837 S. Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV 89109July 8, 2016
A typical day at OfficeMax was rarely dull. The customers usually knew what they wanted but there was always a question here and there. By learning from my peers I was able to answer their questions with confidence. Management changed quite often which wasn't a problem to me. Adapting to change is fine because I learned new ways to help the customer get the solution that was needed. As with the management my co-workers changed frequently and I never had a issue getting along with them or helping out the new team member. The hardest part about the job is when business slowed down and my hours were cut due to low pay roll. Office Max was a great place to work simply because I got to interact with people from all over the world. I learned a lot from that company.
Pros
Learning new skills and sharing that knowledge.
Cons
Shoplifters
Very educational enviorment
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  Delafield, WIAugust 18, 2016
Very great place to work, a lot of great training, and advancement opportunities. The culture is very welcoming, the customers very pleasant to work with.
Office supplies retail store
Lead Customer Service Representative, Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAOctober 15, 2016
Although pay rate is low their employees , this company is driven by exceeding expectations in customer service and their customers experiences and expectations.
They are 100% focused on their customers what causes them to them to be disconsiderated with their employees thoughts, needs and specially opinions in most cases.
Pros
It is a clean and climatized environment.
Cons
Low pay, expensive benefits and no attention to employees needs and opinions.
Work Experience
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is selling products on the sales floor. I always enjoyed helping customers finding the right product. I learned a lot at OfficeMax. I became a better sales person and I also became more confident as I got promoted twice during my time at OfficeMax. I worked my way up during my time at OfficeMax and I worked as much as I could because it was fun and challenging. My co-workers were great and the management was always helpful.
Pros
great employees, great working atmosphere
Cons
understaffed sometimes
OfficeDepot does not care about their employees
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJuly 1, 2016
Management does not care about their employees. I feel like this company is going to go down hill. All managment cares about is how many rewards sign ups you get. Store is always under staffed. No one wants to help you. People call off all the time. As with any retail job, you are constantly repeating yourself. Customers are awful, always throwing money at you etc. The pay is absolute garbage for what you have to deal with in any given day. District Managers have no clue whats going on in their stores, or about customer service. Using slogans and key words isnt going to convince people to get a serivce and spend more money. I wouldnt wish this place on anybody. Stay far far away. Its a great job if you are 16 and have nothing to do with your life. People quit and walk out all the time. Good Luck
Pros
There are none
Cons
Managment, Pay, Customers
Multitasking
Sales Associate/ Copy and Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 8, 2016
A day at the Copy and Print center was typically fast pace, multitasking with different projects, and working with customer. I learned organization is key to any job, especially when different projects are getting done. Also, communication between yourself and the customer in order to get the job done correctly and professionally. Management was pretty well organized and communication among one another, as well as with the associates. The hardest part of the job was working with customers and their time limit of when they wanted the job done. The most enjoyable part of the job was that customers knew you by name and I already knew what they came into the store for.