Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Office Depot has been an exciting place to work while offering advancement to those willing to commit to the vision of a new company.
Sales Associate & Floor Sales (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 21, 2017
Office Max and Office Depot merged a few years ago creating a new culture of excitement and challenge. I have always enjoyed customer service and have fit in well in this environment. Cashiering and sales have been my greatest joys as well as working with like-minded co-workers.
Pros
Office Depot has great customers and our products and services are first rate.
Cons
Store closures resulting from the merger create stress among all emplyees.
Good temporary job
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 21, 2017
While working here I was promised one pay rate then after seeing my first pay check and finding out I was getting paid less than what I was promised was a huge issue for me other than that everything was ok.
Technology Department manager
Techology department and pc tech (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 21, 2017
Love the job but compensation for what I do is too low. I repair computers, sell technology computers and related products. make sure you know your products. I do merchandising, keeping records or the computers in repair and making sure customer problems or issues were resolved. I set store shelving plans as requried by corporate. Train associates I am the deparment manager
Pros
great working environ ent
Cons
no enough help and low pay
New ceo
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2017
New CEO has things going in the right direction. Stores have stopped being remodeled to these stupid new formats that didn't benefit the customer at all.
I was appreciated and i loved being productive and accurate
Tax Dept. License Permit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 21, 2017
Great work environment and staff. I worked 10 hours a day Monday thru Thursday and loved the schedule. I loved being able to improve the process of applying and renewing the state and county licenses for our stores .
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
Bad company, going downhill fast
Technology Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 20, 2017
Welcome to a company that truly has no idea what it is doing. Every other month, the millionaires at corporate try a new terribly thought out and poorly executed plan to revive their dying company.

They're firing people, closing stores, removing everyone's commissions, and buying up other companies thinking they're going to save money. It all comes down to the dollar. The part time employees get garbage hours ( < 10hrs per week for some of them).

I learned a ton and had some really great employees. Our store was one of the many to close due to lease issues, and we were in the top of our district. The company is dying, and I would just recommend you work anywhere else. You'll get paid better and won't have to be constantly dealing with a corporate entity with no structure.

Check out the OfficeDepot subreddit to see what other employees have to say if you want.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Upper Management, Corporate, Benefits, Compensation, Salary
Fun and sometimes challenging workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 20, 2017
I enjoyed working at Office Depot. It was challenging at times, but I enjoyed learning new things. I loved the customers. I loved the times when a customer walked out smiling, this made me want to strive harder to insure that all my customers have a great customer experience. The management team was always available and very knowledgeable.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no health benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 20, 2017
come in, run daily reports, open up the shifts, pull old prices and replace with new, count 6 cash drawers and put out. assign positions and breaks do sectioned inventory restock in spots that are empty when store opens we provided customer service through out the shift while cross training employees. most enjoyable part is the people the hardest is the long hours and the turnover in retail
Pros
customers, employees
Cons
long hours and could be very physical work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2017
With the right management and excellent teamwork it can be either a great place to work or just another job for a quick paycheck. I've worked at a few different locations in different states. When management treats employees fairly (no favoritism, using correct choice of words, not abusing power, setting a correct example) it can be a great place to work.
Pros
Cross training, work hour flexability
Cons
Low pay even with experience, low raises
change in management made things less personal
Sales/Tech Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CA 91914November 20, 2017
Management was actually fine until said manager was replaced with another manager who was stiff and distant.Before that it was a decent job as a it consultant I usually help maintain my section of the store as well as work with other co-workers to ensure people who shopped were satisfied with their experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers looking for their ideal item or solutions to their technical problems. The hardest part of the job was dealing with fellow IT workers in managing with others workload when fixing computers or dealing what was wrong with their machines.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management is hit or miss
Decent place to work at
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CANovember 20, 2017
The only positive side of working here is that the hours are very flexible which was highly beneficial the time I was a student. It is a slow paced environment and very low stress.
Management is Good.
Senior Automation Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 19, 2017
Office Depot Inc. (NYSE: ODP) is a supplier of office products in US by Online/Stores. Office Depot, Inc. is a global supplier of office products and services. Sales are processed through multiple channels, consisting of office supply stores, a contract sales force, an outbound telephone account management sales force, internet sites, direct marketing catalogs and call centers, all supported by company’s network of supply chain facilities and delivery operations.
Good 1st Job
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 19, 2017
If I worked in the AM, usually would downstock for an hour or two and then roam around, helping customers or work on special projects such as setup new display or endcap.

Learned a great deal about customer service. How to handle various situations/scenarios.

Management was friendly, but was constantly changing.

Culture was similar to any other retail location. Everyone tried to work as a team.

Job wasn't hard at all. Best part was the satisfaction of helping a customer.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDNovember 19, 2017
Good company. I took the position as a stop loss. I had previously interviewed with another company, once they contacted me I left. I did give 2 weeks notice but Iwould not work there again
Pros
Cons
Not enough staff
Great Place To Work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 18, 2017
The work is great the people you work with will help each other out if need be. Time spent at work will always have you helping customers out when they need it and its always something to do to keep you busy.
Pros
Health Ins. Paid Time Off. Friendly People To Work With.
I approve of this job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSNovember 17, 2017
Overall, fast paced but not hard work. You are pushed to up the sale, make the insurance sale upgrade, or any other thing you can do to make the order go up. not always enough labor hours for proper closing other than that I cant complain.
Office Depot
Inside Sales - Business Solutions Division (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 17, 2017
This was one of the worst jobs with management I have ever experienced. The management did not care about their reps. Especially if you were a female on the particular team I was on.
Benefits were ok but couldn't compare to the chauvinistic attitude of my manager.
Great company culture and people
Senior IT Manager, Global End User Engineering (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLNovember 16, 2017
Great company culture, work life balance.
Working from home supported partially only.
Healthcare benefits could be better.
More team building activities could add value.
definitely recommend
Temporary Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 16, 2017
i worked at the copy and print center and there was always something to do! the coworkers were very helpful and really nice to the new kids and were patient enough to show us how things work. there was some drama but amongst the older employees. management was really cool and hours were amazing! they worked around my school schedule and were really understanding.
Pros
employee relationships, management, discounts
Cons
distance
Poor managment and understaffed
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 15, 2017
Since working at Office Depot we have gone through several managers and still have not had an official manager hired. The team works well together but it is evident that the establishment needs a permanent manager. We are severally understaffed and it is obvious whenever the store becomes crowded. This store and job has potential but it still needs some changes.
Pros
Discounts are fair and coworkers are easy to work with
Cons
lack of breaks and poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.