Office Depot
1,321 reviews

Office Depot Employer Reviews

Office Depot Review
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Chula Vista, CAApril 21, 2014
A typical day would start with clocking in and checking with manager on duty for tasks of the day. As cashier it was my duty to greet and ring up customers. Also maintain the area surrounding the cash register and make sure items were stocked well. My co-workers were pleasurable to work with as well as helpful. Management was always fair and ready to – more... solve an issue that arose. – less
Could have used some carpet :-)
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2014
Pros: discounts, mean customers.
Cons: dental care, commision and salary
It was always a big 'uboat' filled to the brim with supplies that I would have to stock, while joking and laughing with fellow employees. Yet we were proffesional with the customers when they wanted to 'buy the preview item'. (Never failed). I would take a break and get to-go food from the Krogers next door, and walk back to the lounge helping customers – more... as I go. And get back to work, going home well after closing time. – less
Part TIme job
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 17, 2014
I work at Office Depot part time. It was a good work environment and I enjoyed working there especially for my first job
Great
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), HammondApril 17, 2014
Pros: good job
Good work day
Customer service
Good management
Good job
Loss prevention training
Training
Office depot
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARApril 17, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, great management
Cons: pay rate
The management was great, and the work was great. Co workers did their job and helped others. The most enjoyable part of the job was the management, customers, and associates.
Temporary job, held for a year for resume.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Hillsboro, ORApril 16, 2014
Pros: 20% off purchases
Cons: part time
Slow paced, easy place to work, needs new management.
30 min lunches
15 min breaks
Hardest part of the job was listening to my manager that didn't know how to do his job well at all.
Most enjoyable part, working side by side with co-workers,
Management was horrible.
Part time work
Computer Technician (Former Employee), Germantown, MDApril 16, 2014
Pros: everything, fun place to work
I worked from 6 - 10pm after my full time job and worked as a Computer technician and selling and educating customers on new computers, laptops, printers, scanners and other techincal hardware. I learned to be patient with customers with troubleshooting problems they are having with their computers or hardware malfunctions. I worked with very hardworking – more... employees who treated each other as equal, The hardest part of the job was really nothing at all, and the most enjoyable is making your customer satisfied on what they purchased without feeling discouraged in their product they purchased. Great benefits and health insurance and customer service. – less
Office Depot was a Great Place to Work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Midlothian, VAApril 15, 2014
I enjoyed working for Office Depot and providing the customers with excellent customer service.
Office Depot
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Chula Vista, CAApril 15, 2014
Great job for students. Not an easy company to move up in. Love the people I work with. Not to crazy about the company itself.
If you want a challenge take it.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Chicago Ridge, ILApril 15, 2014
At first it was good but management lacked in training. The hours are balanced within all associates.
Fast paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Belleville,ILApril 14, 2014
Its ok, you will only be a part time employee, benefits are not good.
Managing the copy center, assisting customers with questions regarding merchandize and sales.
Certified Print Specialist (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILApril 13, 2014
Managed the copy center with assisting customers with creating, designing, and producing a variety of projects. Worked closely with Microsoft (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher), Adobe, and Photoshop.
Terrible compensation & Horrible Management.
rep (Former Employee), New JerseyApril 10, 2014
Pros: work/life balance is decent. job culture is pretty good.
Cons: management and compensation
**This is a review for the Business Solutions Division**

Office Depot was once a great place to work. But those days have long gone. Constant senior management changes, quarter after quarter and year-over-year of reporting negative sales loss and eroding margins.

Look, office supplies is not a new innovation. It's in-fact a mature sell. Your basically – more... selling something that everyone has, and moreover, is probably getting from another (better) vendor like Staples. Who by the way, has every store on every corner of Manhattan compared to Office Depot's 1 and ONLY store on Broadway.

There are waaaay too many employees "lingering" in the company and hanging on their employment based solely on their tenure. These are the same people that have brought NO NEW business to the company. I've also noticed that within the past couple of years at the company, the trend has been favoring keeping Account Manager (basically glorified customer service people) rather than taking on more and cultivating REAL Business Development roles. There have been people in the company that would be on the 100% club even though they have not made 1 cold call the entire year! These are also the same reps that rely on what we called "hand-outs". it's really all a joke.

But you can't blame the reps. The accountability really falls on management. The fact of the matter is that (ALOT) of the managers condone this behavior. It's really not helping Office Depot's case in (trying) to survive in what's already a shrinking market. Between Costco and Amazon, let's face it, the company is going down the drain. There's just way too many useless district sales managers in Office Depot.

And this recent merger with OfficeMax, it's a joke. It's basically a temporary bandage.

Another issue with the company is the compensation. I have come to find out that many reps are not equally compensated. If your a new rep coming into the company, starting salary is 38K-43K. What's the issue with that you ask? Well, for one, they offer this salary in New York City, which happens to be one of the most expensive cities and has the highest cost of living anywhere in the world. Secondly, the job would entail a customer-facing, business-to-business responsibilities. They expect you to call on CFO's and CEO's, but they want to treat you like your a third-rate, underpaid employee. Maybe if they properly compensated their employees, production and morale would be at an all time high. Just a thought.

If you plan on applying....good luck, and get some aspirin. Your gonna need it. – less
Great working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 10, 2014
Pros: great work environment, good people to work with
Working at Office Depot is a fast working environment but there are great people that work with you and the managers are always willing to assist you in whatever needs you my have. The managers are also very flexible with your work schedule.
Was fun but got old fast
Sales Associate, Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Dallas, TxApril 9, 2014
Pros: incentives for doing well/meeting goals
Customers ranged from rude and privileged, to appreciative and pleasant. At times, repeat customers would come in with computer issues blaming staff for problems, when their own negligence or hardware were to blame.
Good place to work if you enjoy a corportate enviroment
Sales Consultant/Computer Technician (Current Employee), Gillette, WYApril 8, 2014
My biggest issue with Office Depot is that, being a large corporation, there is little room for innovation. Be prepared to be told you can't implement good ideas because "corporate" doesn't allow it.
Productive work place
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 8, 2014
Received and processed inventory.
Knowledge and usage of operating the ARC3 program.
Knowledge and usage of Hand Jack, Rolling Ladder and Pallet Jack.
Diagnosed and repaired computers.
Assisted customers with software, printers, computers and other products and services offered
Pleasant place to work. Great people
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 8, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: leaving it behind
Working the floor mostly. Greeting customers, and stocking shelves. The co-workers were very friendly and management was as well. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I did enjoy this workplace
Rude costumers and poor management
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 7, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: poor management, low hours, and under paid.
A typical day at work is trying to provide excellent costumer service. I've learned sales, technology, and also copy and print experience. Management however, is poor and lazy but the upside is my co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of my job is having to disregard my morals just to please a costumer. Office Depot is heading down a dangerous – more... road just to get good costumer surveys. – less
Perfect first job gaining job experience.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Cash Office (Former Employee), Wichita Falls, TXApril 7, 2014
Was my first job out of high school where I gained the experience I needed to go out into the work force.

1 2 3 4 5

About Office Depot

Office Depot, Inc. is a global supplier of office products and services. The Company is organized into three business segments: – Read more