Office Of Personnel Management Employee Reviews in United States

Relaxing
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAMay 11, 2016
Not a job that has a lot of stress. It is a job that allows for one to master skill in critical thinking and communication in dealing with customers on a daily basis. It was a fun environment to work at, while not being micro-managed.
Opm
Lead Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 22, 2016
OPM was a great job. I learned a lot, made a lot of great contacts in the federal government, and enjoyed the job very much.
Excellent Place to Work
Business Architect (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
Excellent Federal Agency to work. Very capable management and support staff. Focused on planning and very specific about execution .
Clean work enviroment
Testing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at work was traveling to a high school to give an ASVAB test, and administering civil serves tests. I learned multi tasking is vital in the work place. Management and co-workers worked as team. The hardest part was having to tell a tester to leave the promise, because of cheating. The most enjoyable part was meeting people from all cultures.
Pros
Lunch time was fun.
Cons
Some locations were over 90 miles or more away from home.
Great place and fun work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 15, 2015
They are friendly people to work with as team work and can travel that are relative to job... communicated easy with co-workers and have some deaf co workers that can communicated with... lots special events going on
A learning experience, lots of opportunty, great for careers
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2015
Office is always busy, lots of customers,, excellent training, interaction with other federal agency, some traveling was involved benefits are great.
Pros
GREAT WORK ENVIROMENT, TRANSPORTATION SUSIDY
Cons
NOT ENOUGH PARKING SPACES AVAILABLE, LUNCHES ON SITE ARE COSTLY
Customer Service Rep
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAAugust 13, 2015
Organize filing cabinets.

Co-workers were team players

Most enjoyable part of the job was the flex hours being able to start work anywhere between 6 and 9 am.
Pros
Flex housr
Cons
50 minute drive to work place
travel and felt useful, like my job mattered
Testing Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2015
get assignment, get testing materials ready. travel to location, proctor test to 4 to 300 individuals. collect materials, grade teats, transfer test scores to the MEPS office. Drive home fill out travel report and submit.
Management was nice, helpful, always available by phone.
I rarely saw co-workers. occasionally a large test would have several proctors. those I worked with were nice and did their jobs well. Hardest part of job was maintaining quiet with 200+ high school students. Most enjoyable, giving test to future military personnel.
pay was hourly plus fuel expenses. paid for driving time as well.
Pros
varity of location, not boring
Cons
sometimes to manny tester at once. lack of disapline.
Had a good working environment.
Mail Clerk/Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2015
Working for OPM taught me valuable mail room management skills. I learned how to process equipment control and inventory control. I enjoyed coming to work and interacting with the co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new mail room procedures which I can use today. The challenging part of the job was to ensure we met suspense timelines, some which were on-the-spot suspense.
I learned a lot
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.July 28, 2015
I was young when I started my volunteering period there but I was exposed to a lot of people and a lot of big things so it opened my eyes early on.
High Professional Standards
State Personnel Analyst (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 30, 2015
Dedicated employees. Management staff is very aware of the demands that arise from various state agencies. Competency levels are very high and a normal business day is very well organized. The best part of my job is to work with various agencies and to analyze different personnel cases.
See previous review
Research and Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2015
In November 2004 while working for Defense Security Service (DSS), the Background Investigations program and personnel in DSS were transferred to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). I enjoyed my 7 year tenure working with OPM since the transfer.
Pros
see previous
Cons
see previous
Government
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Worked there for 10 years. People easy to get along with. Management consistently changing. Typical day was the usually office manger stuff, answering phones and solving problems. Diverse staff - management and tel-workers.
Pros
job security
Cons
office closed in pittsburgh
Assigned and received Federal training program
Federal Investigator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 17, 2013
Student graduate from the Federal training program in Washington, D. C. before the program was privatized.

How to conduct backgrounds versus criminal investigations.

Too rigid and constantly striving to meet almost unrealistic standards

Peers were supportive, helpful.

Applying text book theory to real life. Moving from a government position with manageable performance standards to private business employees that are motivated by shared profit.

Completing all facets of training and successfully being promoted.
Pros
equipment, vehicle and fers savings plan
Cons
loss of position due to lack of seniority
Enjoyable, challenging. Important and neccessary job.
Test Administrator, former (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 5, 2012
All of the above. However, the position's description "PT Intermitten" should be restructured. And make the position itself more viable and do-able for the employees hired to do these positions. Higher up management should reconsider using these employees to ease the work overloads off FT regular employees and may the part-time intermitten positions into part-time regular positions. Get 2 birds with the re-description of one job (stone).
Pros
independant function
Cons
no regular hours or income
Very fun and active agency to work for
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2012
Great agency to work for with a lot of opportunities. A very diverse group of people who are willing to lead as well as train those that want to lead . A typical day for me since I work in the Operation Support side of Retirement Services is fully understanding the best approach to paying out benefits to former federal employees as well as supporting senior staff in day-to-day operations.
The agency is Federal Investigative Services. It very regimented in its policies by necessity.
Federal Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 21, 2014
The agency is responsible for conducting background investigations. There is a very established corporate history. Federal Investigative Services is responsible to conduct background investigations for most of the people that apply to work for the government or serve in the military.
wonderful learning experience but stressful
Customer Service Representative (Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Washington dcOctober 14, 2013
being an employee here for almost 4 years, ive experience plenty ups and downs. though the salary was great and there were many advancement opportunities, it sometimes became very stressful. management was very stearn but they did all they could to let us know we were appreciated.
Federal Government Retirement is rewarding but well earned.
Federal Government Service Retiree (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2012
Retirement is lucrative with ample benefits.Although the benefits are outstanding the conditions of employment were taxing. It is difficult, at times, to deal with the bureaucracy.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
union interference.
Govt
H.R Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2015
IT WAS GREAT, I wanted to really challenging but worth it. I do not regret working there it was great. At a young age in the federal govt was a privilege.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Of Personnel Management. Our community is ready to answer.

Office Of Personnel Management Reviews by Location