OfficeMax
1,049 reviews

OfficeMax Employer Reviews

Great working environment.
Assistant Category Manager - Contract (Current Employee), Naperville, IL.April 14, 2014
Great working environment. Great company to work for that can excel your career.
Boring but co-workers/management was friendly
Store Associate (Former Employee), Apache Junction, AZApril 12, 2014
Pros: money and co-workers.
Cons: lack of business and promoting officemax offers.
Typical day at work was extremely slow and boring with constant pressure to sell replacement plans and other unpopular offers. Shoplifters are a frequent problem.
I learned that I do not like selling... I also got general cashier experience.
Management is okay. They are friendly and helpful, but do not equally distribute responsibilities between employees. – more... Some employees get away with less than the bare minimum effort/performance.
Coworkers were good for the most part. As previously stated, some were basically lazy. Everyone was pretty friendly and helpful usually.
Hardest part of the job was selling because the offers OfficeMax gives customers are extremely unpopular. No one wants to buy a replacement plan on a $5 computer mouse. Commission when you actually sell one is never more than a couple dollars and in my case was always less than one dollar...
Most enjoyable part of the day was clocking out... Followed closely by cleaning toilets that no one else had cleaned for five days... At least its doing something, standing behind a cash register for five hours with a total of three customers checking out is brutal. AND FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T READ A MAGAZINE!!! – less
Boring but co-workers/management was friendly
Store Associate (Former Employee), Apache Junction, AZApril 12, 2014
Pros: money and co-workers.
Cons: lack of business and promoting officemax offers.
I learned that I do not like selling... I also got general cashier experience.
Company is in the middle of a merger
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lees Summit, MOApril 12, 2014
Office Depot has bought OfficeMax at the end of 2013. A lot of transitions going on within both of the companies.
Great Management
Impress Associate (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 9, 2014
Pros: coworkers and managers
Cons: pay
My manager is amazing and is the reason why I still work there. The job can be at times and stressful and too much of a work load for what little I get paid. I am often juggling many things at once, and having to do other coworkers jobs along with my own, when it is not expected the other way around. My coworkers are fun people, but can sometimes not – more... be very helpful or lazy. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get to graphic design something for a customer since that is a hobby of mine. I have learned a handful of programs there along with customer service skills. I am fluent in almost all Microsoft Office products and very trained in Adobe products as well. – less
Good company before merger
Account Manager - Integrated Business Solutions (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNApril 9, 2014
Responsible for the growth and profitability of OfficeMax Integrated Business Solutions in the Minneapolis, MN market. Assisted private sector and public sector organizations reduce operating costs while promoting productivity, efficiencies, and business process optimization.
Company was great to work for until the merger with Office Depot
Store Manager (Former Employee), IllinoisApril 8, 2014
Pros: incentives, work/ life balance
Cons: don't follow policies;no support from corporate level employees
After merger with Depot the morale decreased substantially; All levels of associates, from top of organization to cashier, were let go as part of the merger and in demoralizing fashion. I was very happy with my career with Office Max however the exact opposite for my short tie with Office Depot.
Great if you have good managers
Associate (Current Employee), GAApril 7, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduals, happy and laid back atmosphere
Cons: certain management & lack of follow through on punishment of employees
Fun upbeat place to work by far best retail place I've ever worked at. However, with the merger tensions are high. Some management concerns have been raised but as long as all ethical policies are followed its a great starter job, flexible hours that are very reasonable and accomadating to every associates personal life.
One of the best places I have ever worked.
Customer Service Rep/Online Support Specialist (Former Employee), VirginiaApril 7, 2014
I have never had a job that I have enjoyed coming in to so much as I did at Officemax. I would still be there if not for relocating.
A large sales center environment the co workers made it most exciting!~
Business Development Manager II (Former Employee), Norman OKApril 3, 2014
Pros: free lunches, vendor marketing weekly meetings for product knowledge
Cons: poor communication throughout different depts, it, manager engagement
The ethics were average, and some of the management was top-notch, but it seemed prior to the merge and Office Depot taking the upperhand all the Max staffers got pushed aside. The technical side of their operating systems is a work in progress which slowed things down because of to many phases to simply put in an order, set up an account and alas bill – more... the client. The 4 systems were on a scale of 100% at 70% where productivity is concerned. Supervisors were not remarkable coaches or team leaders. – less
A new experience
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Montclair, CAApril 2, 2014
Pros: people were nice and enjoyed serving customers
Cons: not a lot of growth, no benefits, hours reduced from 40 to 32 a week
This is a great place to work for a short period, I worked at OfficeMax for 1 year, learned a lot about customer service and the retail side of business. Great place for a new designer.
Good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bridgeport, WVApril 1, 2014
Good work environment for students. Great beginner job. Works well around your schedule.
Great opportunities to network with high level Fortune 100 customers
Director of Business (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 1, 2014
I describe my position as playing 50 chess games at once. Every day I get up and make a move or don't. Some days I make several on one board. Software driven long term sales cycle.
Can Be Fun
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Rockwall, TXMarch 31, 2014
Pros: comfortable work environment
Cons: frequently changing policies, unlikely to advance quickly
There is always something different to do. The management at my particular store is very lenient as long as you do your job properly, so there is plenty room to do things your way. Gossip between the women is a problem, but I assume that is normal. Most of my coworkers get together after work.
Customer service is very big with this company. The only – more... problem they ever really have is if you ignore customers and do not give them the best experience. Doesn't matter if the person is just in there for a pen or a computer.
Most employees in the higher positions will end up staying for years, so those in the regular associate category will probably have to wait awhile if they desire to move up in the ranks. – less
Retail Store Associate (Former Employee), Carolina PRMarch 31, 2014
▪ Assist customers on all kinds of copy & printing documentation.
▪ Perform register sales transactions quickly and accurately in accordance with established cash control procedures and customer service guidelines.
▪ When not with customers, keep aisles faced and shelves stocked as directed.
▪ Implement new merchandise planograms as directed.

• Manage – more... the custom order programs provided by various vendors and ensure prepayment. Monitor sales associate compliance to ordering procedures and vendor compliance to timely and quality performance. Resolve all order issues directly with the vendor.
▪ Provide assistance in all areas of the store based on business need; perform all other tasks and assignments as requested by Management. – less
Clear-cut yet fun workplace with good co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILMarch 31, 2014
Pros: great learning experiences
A typical work day included maintaining the products in the store, working the cash register, working the printing press, and helping with customer service. I learned a lot when it comes to customer service and sales. I also learned the technicals of the printing press. The management was acceptable and had clear expectations. The co-workers were all – more... pleasant and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was working with disgruntled customers, and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers. – less
fun/competative coworkers
Customer Service (Former Employee), Paris, TXMarch 29, 2014
learned alot about computers/printers. coworkers provided friendly competative comp. in sales
Good Starter Company
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, NCMarch 28, 2014
Very flexible with scheduling and great people to work with.
productive
Photo Tech, Sales associate (Current Employee), Stratford, CTMarch 27, 2014
good place sometimes busy but usually okay day.
learned about computer selling skills
good management team
co workers are wonder full, Just have to be a team mate
loved my job
Fast paced work environment with friendly employees
Impress Associate (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2014
Each day you have a different experience. Focus put on providing the best experience for every customer.

1 2 3 4 5

About OfficeMax

This company is taking the office supply business to the max. OfficeMax is the #3 office products retailer in North America (far – Read more