OfficeMax
1,219 reviews

OfficeMax Employer Reviews

Comfortable welcoming environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Stroudsburg, PAJuly 30, 2014
Pros: wonderful co workers
I learned how to about working as team. I set up the floor and assist customers. Work the cash register. Wonderful environment with wonderful people.
Fun, hip, encouraging
Sales/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 30, 2014
A typical day at Office Max was fun! It started off that way from training to my last day there. If they wouldn't have closed down the call center location my thought set then was I would've still been there. I here became close with management and they saw my potential here and would give extra assignments, here I would assist with new employees and – more... help those needing assistance; not as confident with closing sales and getting/processing large corporate orders. – less
Productive workplace with friendly staff and employees
Associate (Former Employee), Hilo, HIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: friendly work enviornment
Cons: policy attendance
Working at OfficeMax was very comfortable, staff and employees are very friendly and very helpful. Learned a lot of new skills I needed to continue at any other job dealing with associate positions. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the policy attendance. Note from any activity absence for created conflict for me to stay and continue working – more... there. but I do not regret working at OfficeMax. – less
FUN PLCE TO WORK
Senior Business Development Manager (Former Employee), Norman, OKJuly 29, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: merger
Like having your own business , great people super managers
Time management is crutial
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Springfield, OhioJuly 24, 2014
I have been with OfficeMax Inc. now Office Depot Inc. for 8 years. I have learned a great deal about what it takes to become a good manager from peers and through self reflection. To work for this company you have to be willing to change at a moments notice as polices, staff, and district managers seem to become less of a constant.

The hardest part – more... of the job has become the fluctuating full time staff. Over the past year or so, our company has been reducing management size and full time employees and replacing them with part time minimum wage employees. In my opinion this has altered the culture of the store and has made training a more critical part of my day.

What I have learned over the years at OfficeMax Inc. is that what I thought management would be like coming into the company was not reality. I have had to learn to be more patient, to not take things customers say personally, how to multitask, time management, how to train employees of all ages, and how to hold myself and others accountable for his/her actions.

Over the years I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked for OfficeMax Inc. as it has allowed me to expand my knowledge on multiple levels and has afforded me the opportunity to grow as an individual. – less
Great product to sell, every door every floor!
Business Development Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: worked from home
Cons: cant think of any
Typical day cold call for new business maintain and manage current customer base.
Great
LOGISTICS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Houston TXJuly 22, 2014
One of the better lower paying jobs I have ever had! Perfect for that person looking for a part-time position. If you are a student at any level (High school or college) this is a great company for you! No positions are really that difficult and thus provides a comfortable atmosphere. Compensation is basic but decent on a part-time level.
Not a bad job
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 22, 2014
This is a retail job, but overall it was a good company to work for.
Slow paced environment but fun
Technology Supervisor (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSJuly 22, 2014
it was a fun steady job, slow paced and the repeat customers are always fun. The advancement is there but it just takes time. Management is good, and the environment was very clean and neat.
It was a good place to work
Inventory Control Specialist/Distribution Spec (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 22, 2014
I was responsible for cycle counts on inventory daily, as well as loading and unloading freight off of trailers. I was the point of contact for the vendors and freight companies for all issues that may arise.
good family feel
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbus, INJuly 22, 2014
go in work on a few assigned task. learned a lot about customer service.
fun, outgoing place
Cashier/customer service (Former Employee), massachusettsJuly 22, 2014
co-workers were very polite and greeted the customers. very great environment.
Excellent place to work
Front-end sales associate (Former Employee), Stroudsburg, PA/Wilkes Barre PAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: flexable scheduling, great managers
Cons: distance to drive
Typical work day is to wait on customers, provide service and smile.
I learned a great deal about electronics and other business supplies.
Training given by managers is effective and easy to learn. Co-workers were usually friendly and would help when assistance was needed.
Hardest part of the job was doing planograms for product display.
The most enjoyable – more... part was assisting customers and assuring they had their needs met. – less
Passionate, Innovative, and Fun
Staff Accountant II (Current Employee), Naperville, ILJuly 22, 2014
Pros: generous amount of vacation days, work schedule flexibility
Cons: job security sometimes a challenge. just the nature of a corporate company.
Majority of duties meaningful and fulfilling - investigating and resolving margin exceptions, reconciling balance sheet accounts, identifying and correcting expense accounts for assigned locations .

Many opportunities to learn and grow in different areas of corporate accounting e.g. Supply Chain Accounting & Benefits Accounting

Immediate management – more... strongly supports growth in knowledge and skills about all areas in the company

One of the things I will miss most after merger completion is my coworkers. Very supportive group of people.

Hardest part of my job is determining what motivates individuals in other departments that we depend on for information. Delay and sometimes no response to request for information is the hardest part of my job.

The freedom to get the job done within the guidelines given but without being micromanaged. – less
Fast paced environment with continuously growing customer base and excellent customer service.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 21, 2014
A typical day consists of analyzing previous days sales and setting daily sales goals for my team. Coaching team to meet daily goals and provide excellent service. Oversaw operational side of the store. Ensured the store was logistically perfect in all aspects. Recruited prospective employers through different avenues such as; online job postings, recruitment – more... in store and working with third party agencies. Responsible for creating weekly schedules and managing payroll budgets. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my team and store succeed while seeing continuous development of associates. – less
The best part was having the ability to work with the blind on the job and learn somethings from them.
Staff Member (Former Employee), Austin, TexasJuly 21, 2014
A typical day consisted of stocking restocking making sales and promoting our go green efforts by re-using ink cartridges. My co workers made the day a breeze management was tough but to teach us and push us to our best!
Good job. Alot of politics
Sales Specialist/ Key Carrying Supervisor (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 19, 2014
It's been a while since I worked there but when I was there it was a decent place to work. The management knew what they were doing, they hired people that knew what they were doing, there was room for advancement and you could always grow yourself. There was just always way too much politics
Gain excellent communication skills
Cashier (Former Employee), Queens, NYJuly 18, 2014
I have learned to socialize with people of diverse background each day.
NA
Store Manager (Current Employee), MIJuly 17, 2014
The company has changed since the "Merger of Equals" with Office Depot. Everything has changed into Office Depot Policies and Procedures.
Productive place to work
Impress Associate (Former Employee), Victor, NYJuly 16, 2014
Pros: always learning something new
Cons: super fast paced work environment
My job was to help the customers and refill and replace ink and paper in the printers, also to make sure they were up and working properly. At the end of the night I counted the registers, vacuumed and made sure everything was clean before leaving for the night. I learned how to troubleshoot different pieces of equipment and how to work quickly and – more... productively to get the most possible done in a days work. The hardest part was learning how to do everything because there was so much to learn. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the reaction of people when you were done producing their products. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About OfficeMax

This company is taking the office supply business to the max. OfficeMax is the #3 office products retailer in North America (far – Read more