OGILVY & MATHER Employee Reviews in United States

Producer
Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2015
I worked here many year ago so I cannot attest to how it is now but while I was there I was fortunate to work with some mid to senior level producers who were very patient and I learned a lot from them. Very creative atmosphere and room for growth. Salary was always an issue and there was never money for raises for the up and comers.
Better Than Average in Advertising
Digital Artist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 3, 2015
I averaged 50% overtime (20 hours a week) either with all-nighters or weekends at Ogilvy. It seemed to me that the highest-level creatives would not pull the trigger on an idea until the end of "their day" then left everyone else to polish it until it was presentable the next day. If they would have stuck to the second or third idea (almost always the same as the final idea) we could have saved a lot of hours.

I knew this going in and insisted on two things. 1) I got paid hourly, and 2) 4 weeks off for vacation. I got two weeks vacation and two weeks un-paid leave, which was great. I should have asked for more money, but it likely would not have been worth all the time I gave up from my personal life.

The ad industry is tough. I would pick another industry if you can, if you are in college, do something else - anything else. It's not Mad Men :-)

But saying that the culture at Ogilvy is THE BEST in the ad world. I did a lot of freelance work in all the major agencies and several smaller ones and Ogilvy does give the most to their employees, and the long hours does bond people together. But all said and done, it was not worth my effort.
Pros
Fun People, Can Negotiate Salary & Benefits, Good Clients, Prestiege
Cons
LONG hours, not enough pay, poor life balance
Great people doing great work, under less than great circumstances
Planning Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
There is a rock-solid core of talented people here keeping the Company going.

Also its the intangible benefits that keep people here long-term as the tangible benefits depend too much on who you know and how much they like you..
Pros
Extra week off to add to vacation time at the end of the year
Cons
Reviews are almost impossible to get - raises dependent on getting a review
Great place to work overall.
Field Marketing Director for Heineken USA (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 2, 2015
Professional and fast paced.

Good place to work. Great experience.Great management, fast paced.

I really worked more directly with my client then Ogilvy itself. My experience there was positive. I was a field person so not that integrated into the NY office where I was billed.
Pros
Biggest name in the business.
Cons
Long hours.
great place to start your career
China Intern (Former Employee) –  beijing, jinbao streetMarch 31, 2015
nice working environment
efficient team work
always high pressure
encouraging atmosphere
salary is good but not enough for raising a family
Fun workplace , Not good for career growth
Sr. SW Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2015
Great work culture. No career growth. Management is not good. No hikes and bonuses.No reorganization for the hard work .
Set your boundaries and Don't Stay too long.
Finance (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 28, 2012
Most things you will find in any corporate job, but the hours stretch longer and longer, the yearly reviews never seem to happen, the raises never seem to come and the stress just piles on top of itself. Cutting staff constantly and never reevaluating the work structure sets people up for burnout. Set your boundaries early, get the money you want when you sign on because you won't be getting any more any time soon.
Pros
free food, can be fun, fairly casual
Cons
long hours, high stress, no reviews/raises
Executive Assistant
senior level administrative support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2015
Meeting and travel planning, calendar management, basic administrative assistance. Processing of expense reports.
amazing company to work for.
Creative Partner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2014
Great people, great boss. everyone is helpful and works together. Projects are heavy, but fun and worth it with benefits such as attending special promo events.
Pros
free tickets, lunch, great lounge area with games and tv
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Productive and creative workplace.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2013
Ogilvy & Mather is a great place for young, innovative, post graduates to gain a great experience. The environment is very hip and trendy. A typical day at work as a receptionist at this company involved interacting with potential clients which included Senior level executives from companies such as aol, facebook, Gap, etc.
Pros
great envirnonment, great perks such as catered free lunch and paid summer fridays off
Cons
no room for growth and expanasion, bad benefits package, high turnover rate
Extremely productive, yet stress-free
Executive Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2012
Stress-free work environment, yet extremely productive. Devoted employees and very caring, supportive management. Compensation package could be more desirable but overall, an excellent work environment,
Pros
mini celebrations throughout the year.
Cons
low salaries
Over Before I Knew It...
Temp Billing Analyst/Clerical/Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2013
As an independent contractor, I worked for the 'Client Finance' department of Ogilvy & Mather for 9 months. Outsourcing had taken its toll on people in more ways than one, as I saw employees leaving left and right. Their responsibilities were being sent overseas to a contract company whose diligence was, for lack of a better term, lacking in many key areas. I was brought along to help point out and rectify any and all professional 'misunderstandings' in regards to what was expected of the outsourced personnel.

I was able to learn a lot from my supervisors and co-workers, and am very sad that my time at Ogilvy had to be cut short. With any luck, my next place of employment will be as educational and friendly, with the added incentive of aiding my professional growth through a strong sense of job security.
Pros
friendly co-workers, good work/life balance, nice corporate environment
Cons
transitional phase made for very little (if any) job security for new hires.
good place to work depending on your manager
IBM WW Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2013
good place ussually drama free great vacation days off etc work life balnce ok depending who and what departmen you work for
Pros
good place to network
Cons
some upper management can hinder you from advancement
never a dull moment at Ogilvy
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2015
A great, creative, fun place to work with great, creative, fun people. It takes a while, but once you prove your competency, you start to take a bigger role in the creative process and really get to collaborate instead of just execute ideas.
You learn from the best at an agency like Ogilvy.
Account Services + Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2012
My goal out of graduate school was to land a full-time role at Ogilvy West—the San Francisco branch of one of the largest and most well-respected advertising agencies in the world. I evolved from a graduate intern in account services to an account supervisor in just two years and learned so much from my incredible mentors while working there. I treated Ogilvy as an educational career move, and it proved that tenfold. I learned something new every day and utilized my skills accordingly... eventually feeling comfortable enough to want to grow further; finding new opportunity at a smaller agency when the time was right.
Pros
learning from the best in the business in a big agency environment.
Cons
it is often hard to escalate in a company the size of ogilvy.
Top of the Line Advertising Agency
Graphic Designer / Print production (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2013
Great mix of professionals, you will be surrounded by great creative minds. Company is so great that it makes it difficult to come in and have a long term position, only because employees with senior experience are usually kept for the long haul. Great if your already in, enviable if your just coming in.

In the end it's a great place to be.
Pros
professional staff and work-life balance
Cons
difficult to advance into senior positions, due to high retainment of employees currently with the company
Creative workplace with wonderful people.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2015
Working for Ogilvy is a privilege. The client work is fast-paced and creative, the culture is fun and productive, and the hope of elevating brands is in the air. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely seeing a campaign presented in real time.
Work Hard, Play Hard Team
Studio Coordinator Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2014
This team was an example of great management, great team work and great commitment to the work. Working with in this team there was no looking at the clock to see what time it was. The work days went buy fast with a great group of production artists and project managers who really cared about their team.
Fun place to work
Analytics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2014
Great environment and culture. The company really invests in their employee's development and training.

Work/Life balance can be a little off at times but its a part of the business
Love these guys
Creative (Former Employee) –  San SalvadorJanuary 29, 2015
This was by far the best agency in El Salvador. I loved working there. A typical day would include brainstorming, market research, and a lot of fun with colleagues. We managed some large accounts, and had a lot of interaction with clients. It was a real learning experience.
Pros
awesome mentors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OGILVY & MATHER. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2