Ohio Air National Guard

Ohio Air National Guard Employer Reviews

Ohio Air Guard
Radar Maintenance Craftsman (Current Employee), Blue Ash, OHMarch 20, 2014
Pros: friends, experience, travel
Cons: deployments
Working for the Ohio National Guard has been a rewarding experience and has allowed me to further my career in every way. Started off at basic training and moved to technical school where I learned how to maintain the radar system I work on. The hardest part of the job would definitely be the deployments but it allows you to travel the world at the – more... same time so it's really not that bad. – less
Engineering Technician/Environmental Controls (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHMarch 19, 2014
Pros: servering my country
Cons: cbts
a guard weekend can be full of fun, learning, and helping the community.
Ohio ANG
Logistics Readiness Officer, Major (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: great people and benefits
Cons: requires travel periodically and the monthly commute
Great place to work 20+ years. Initially learn discipline, new skillsets, have college paid for partially, then progressively learn personnel management and new fields. Server your country, meet lots of people over the years and make many lifelong friends.
A great learning environment and great people
Federal Technician / Traditional Guardsman (Current Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: the opportunities to learn were plentiful.
I would ensure compliance with SWPPP, Hazardous Materials Management and recommend work orders or maintenance if needed. I learned skills in Industrial Hygiene, Storm Water pollution prevention, Spill prevention containment countermeasures, Quality Assurance & Compliance inspections, reports, and etc. I learned the importance of people and the environment. – more... The hardest part of the job was there is never enough hours in a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people, networking and learning new things. I also enjoyed working in the Fuels Laboratory. All of this was centered around aviation and automotive fuels. – less
A unique and amazing career
Mobile Air Control and Warning systems technician (Current Employee), Blue Ash, OHOctober 28, 2013
Pros: travel, education benifits, meeting and working with a diverse group
Cons: time away from family, high stress enviroments
Working in the Ohio Air National Guard is a great career choice. Even though it is typically one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer, the days we do work are filled with fast paced training, hard work, and strong comradery.
I have learned many different skill sets and technical knowledge as well as management and supervisor skills that I will – more... carry with me through the course of my life.
The manage and co-workers all maintain a sense of professionalism. The most difficult part of the job is also the most enjoyable, having to travel. Having been on four overseas deployments as well as state side missions, I have seen and experienced much the world has to offer, at the same time, maintain patience and focus while I am away from family and loved ones. – less
Continuously training and constantly ready for deployment
RF Transmissions Technician (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 22, 2013
There is only one con that i can think of for the guard, the fact that deployments and weekend duty can be very inconvenient.
ANG
Engineering Journeyman (Former Employee), Zanesville, OHJuly 11, 2013
Learned extensive amounts of civil engineering, working with a diverse group of people.
Strong individuals training, planning, preparing for what could be crisis situations.
Senior Airman (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHMay 23, 2013
Pros: educational benefits, being clothed, and fed while on duty.
Cons: the unknowns, as far as deployments, knowing at any time you could be called to duty.
A typical day at work usually began with a meeting, and a schedule of the events that would take place. As part of how things would be operated should the unit be deployed.

I learned many things about team-work and loyalty and never giving up or stopping until the mission is accomplished, and that is something that I value very much, though I have – more... not seen much of this mindset in the civilian world of my employment history it is something that I value and would love to share with people in my future.

Management there was amazing, all the things that they were responsible for organizing and doing and making happen was an overwhelming thought to me at times. However that is where the team-work attitude trickled down from and I could see how it would all come together.

My co-workers were great, I met so many wonderful people during my time in the guard that I wish I could have brought them all with me into my future as co-workers.

Not knowing if a deployment was going to come, and knowing that if it did that I could have twenty-eight hours to pack up and leave my family and go wherever the Air National Guard told me to go.

Knowing that I was surrounded by good people who were also willing to sacrifice, time with family and maybe even your own life should duty call. These are a special kind of people, not just anyone makes that commitment, about one percent of Americans volunteer to serve this country. I take much pride in the time I spent in the Ohio National Guard, it was a great life experience. – less
travel opportunities
2A551 Aerospace Maintenance (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 18, 2013
Pros: travel
Cons: reduction in force
preflight, postflights and thruflights
launch and recovery of aircraft
trouble shooting aircraft issues
maintaining air worthiness of airframe
Great place to work and build experience
Commander, Logistics Readiness Squadron (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 2, 2013
Pros: serving the country
Cons: many weekend nights away on deployments
Managing people and resources and adjusting priorities in the order of importance
Very Rewarding
Airman First Class (Current Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 30, 2012
Pros: easy to integrate with every day life, bond with co-workers, benefits both healthcare and education
Cons: must be flexible, though not often short notice for deployments is always possible.
You get a lot out of working for the military. The Guard offers a lot of the same great benefits as Active Duty but on a resserve status. You go through the same training as everyone else but report once a month and two weeks out of the year. Job security can be hard, it is effected by the state budget, but it is great to help supplement your civilian – more... income in part. I enjoy the leadership and person growth you get every day when you wear the uniform. I get to hold down my civilian job, have school paid for and it teaches you a lot about life. I went in with my degree so I am saving my benefits to pass along to my kids. Its a great feeling to know I already have my childrens college paid for. The bond with other men and women in the service in uncomparable to other places. – less
It is what you make it.
Staff Sergeant - Security Forces Craftsman (Current Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 25, 2012
Is not for the for the weak or the faint of heart. The Ohio Air National Guard is a very rewarding job to do part or full time. Also it paid for 100% of school tuition plus an additional monthly stipend from the Montgomery GI Bill. Did not have to work a single job through out college.
Military Experience
Medical Technician (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2012
The military is a significant part of my life. I am a medical technician and work along with other health professionals in an out-patient clinic. I have rotated in a variety of hospital settings and have been deployed twice. These experiences have opened my eyes to the world and see the medical field in many perspectives.