Ohio Department of Education Employee Reviews

Fun
Improvement Process Consultant (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 17, 2017
Great career with snow days summers off and TONS of professional growth in the form of trainings. Clients were receptive and fun to work with.
Pros
changing work
Cons
office
Good Place to work with Benefits
Administrative Assistant to Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 8, 2016
Left do to trying to implement the team concept after many years from top down management. It wasn't working. I resigned due to the management or lack of.
Benefits
Cons
No Direction
Challenging
Acts for the administrator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2016
I enjoy the challenge of working with stakeholders from across the state of Ohio. I also enjoy working for USDA and auditing for compliance. It's been a good 12 years.
Great organization tasked with oversight of Ohio's public education system
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2015
Great organization with a monumental task. Committed, Educated Professional staff. The politics of public education sometimes interfered with our execution of policies and regulations but the commitment of agency staff to get it right was never in question.
Pros
Clear guidance proffered by the Ohio Revised and Administrative Codes
Cons
The politics of public education.
Great Ratings
5th/6th/7th grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHNovember 16, 2015
Great reviews• Strengthened comprehension skills such as making connections and predictions, and asking questions
• Encouraged critical thinking as well as targeted ISAT skills through stimulating discussions, purposeful journal writing,
and focused essay writing
• Created various original assessments for each text in the curriculum
6th Social Studies
Good pay- poor management
Educ Prgm Specialist Child Nutrition Program (CNP) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 2, 2015
The environment at this agency is punitive and negative. Managers have no training. A lot of good work happens in this organization, but the leadership is lacking.
Pros
pay
Cons
toxic environment
Project was a bit unorganized
Business System Analyst/Project Management (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2015
The business end of my project was great. Very easy to work with and well organized. I did not think the Project Manger was very helpful or detailed. deadlines were not met because of the PM not getting information needed.
Good learning experience
Assistant Leadership Coordinator (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 8, 2015
Working for the Ohio DECA division of the Ohio Department of Education has been a vastly rewarding experience. The opportunity to help students advance their success is invaluable.
Great contract work
Resident Educator Summative Assessor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 27, 2015
Simple and easy online work that is done at home. This was an easy training system to use after they got the bugs workout out of it.
governmental compliance
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2015
Travel throughout the state of Ohio conducting compliance reviews related to a USDA Food Program for children and adults. Audit accounting documents as it pertains to operating a not-for-profit food service.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Federal regulations
Energetic and creative enviroinment that allows us to give back to the commuity
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 20, 2014
I completed data information I processed scholarship for the students in private schools, updated parents information for student’s scholarships. Faxed and filed parents and students information. Maintained large database, entered applications and affidavits into the system. Entered confidential information like parents information and student information for eligibility.
Pros
Talking to some returing parents that had to update there information
Cons
When entering information the system and it would clash, completely stop working
Productive and rewarding
Educational Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2014
This is a self-paced productive work environment where employees work hard to help the teachers and impact student learning.
Great colleagues to work with but unsure decisions from the Legislature kept us guessing
Office of Curriculum and Assessment (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 31, 2014
After being in the classroom for over 30 years, I had the opportunity to view education from another lens. Coaching teachers while big changes are being made, Common Core State Standards and PARCC Assessments, is definitely challenging and rewarding. Developing sessions on professional development forced me to stay on top of all the changes. I am also involved with PARCC as a member of the Operational Working Group (OWG) reviewing and reconciling items created by Pearson and ETS. It has been a wonderful experience working with educators from across the country. Our conversation have been rich and enlightening.
Pros
Travel and working with many other educators here in Ohio as well as across the country
Cons
My salary was not what I expected.
Ok place to work, not a very social environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 3, 2014
Worked through a contract company as a business analyst. There was very little social life here and people barely spoke but the work was cool and I got the job done.
Editor; meeting and travel planning. Great place to work!
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Columbus OHFebruary 4, 2013
Many wonderful colleagues. Supported vice president and supervisors. Edited school visit reports from around the state. Served as editor for upper-level management. Excelled in teamwork and customer service. Supported Operation Feed; under-priviledged school children. Other duties as assigned!
A good learning place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 20, 2012
• Assisted in planning and development of research goals and projects
• Prepared records and reports related to high-performing countries in terms of Math, Science, and English language education
The State of Ohio has been through a lot in these past years
Secretary /Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 30, 2012
I miss working for the Ohio Department of Education, but wasn't in a position to move up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2