Ohio State University Employee Reviews

Good place to work, depending on your field and supervisor
Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2016
Healthy work/life balance and good benefits. Compensation is poor compared to the private sector. A Masters in Science may only earn you $14 to $15/hr at OSU, which is embarrassingly low.

Job security is not that good if you are hired as a term employee. It would be easier to invest yourself fully in the job if you didn't have to think about possibly being out of a job in a year or two. It also appears that term employees are less valued by the university. The department I worked for gave me a 1% raise after two years of work because I was a term employee (full-time employees received 2%).

If you have a good supervisor it can be a great place to work. If your supervisor is a good scientist and not a good people manager (as can often be the case), then you might have a somewhat dysfunctional and not very enjoyable work experience.

Parking is expensive. As someone holding a Masters degree and earning $16/hr I found the annual parking pass of nearly $900 prohibitively expensive.
Pros
benefits, varied job experience, work/life balance
Cons
compensation, parking, supervisors, job security
Don't believe the hype
Research Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 22, 2017
OSU is good at sucking people in with their "benefits." Don't expect to advance unless you are an admin and even then you must fit the right demographic. The benefits get cut a little every year and the raises for outstanding employees is up to 2%. 2% from a university that pulls in 100's of millions is pathetic especially if the job is under 100k, which almost all are.

The administration here seems to forget that they are part of a state institution that exists to serve the taxpayer and students. They have gotten caught up in their own little world where they think they are untouchable and the way departments are run demonstrate this i.e. jobs are given to friends rather than more qualified individuals and people that think the right way are given a free pass to be lazy.

If you have drive and work ethic go somewhere that will pay you for your efforts. The mindset here is that individuals don't matter as long as the collective looks like it is doing enough to keep winning grants.

If you are a staff member, you will need to familiarize yourself with Title IX since you will be required to file a report if you see two freshman making out or holding hands because one of them may have not consented. This is not a joke, micro-aggressions, thought police, militant diversity (not of thought of course), intrinsic bias are all very real here and you will be expected to be in lock step with the prevailing ideology.
Pros
Nice campus and libraries
Cons
Everything is very expensive on campus
Extremely flexible, and open
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2017
Being a student while working as a personal trainer offered great benefits in flexibility and scheduling. As personal trainers, we are offered an immense amount of flexibility in our schedule and selection of our clientele. Being a student working for a university, it is also a work environment that is very flexible based on oneʻs courses, and there is always sufficient work to achieve the hours desired.
Pros
Great Flexibility
Cons
Clientele (Inconsistent, due to openness of program)
Ok, not great.
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 18, 2016
Working at OSU is a mixed bag. You have the great atmosphere of being at OSU, and having a great culture for student success and professional accomplishments. Then you also have the political side of it being OSU, and a state run facility. I know people that have had great bosses, and some that have had ones that play the game. But, it's OSU so what can you say?!
Pros
Great atmosphere (co-workers) and competitive pay.
Cons
Political
low paying computer jobs.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 13, 2017
have 18 years here.... not very good benefits anymore, can't find a parking spot, don't pay very high compared to other state jobs. Private companies are a better place to work, OSU is cutting jobs (HR, IT Fin.). everyone will be contractors someday.
Pros
can go to college after workhours
Cons
no parking, low pay, benefits are 3.7 stars out of 5
Good place to get some experience
Lecturer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 8, 2017
I was a GA and a lecturer, so I didn't have much access to the inner workings of the university. When I was there, GA pay and benefits were relatively low, but I did manage to find support for my dissertation research. I had good faculty advisers and an interesting range of students to teach.
International Research Team with wonderful knowledge exchange
Research Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 13, 2017
The typical day starts with the control and preparation of the newest sample group. If the newest C/N-data from the Gas Chromatograph have been finished they are reviewed for mistakes. In the situation that no mistakes were found the next sample group is handed over to the lab equipment manager to insure proper handling. After recording and analyzing the data the newest data set is send to the project manager with a project update. This information exchange is often handled without any problems and if any questions arise a meeting can be arrange easily. The friendly workplace, with the international knowledge exchange, creates a fruitful, enriching environment.
Pros
Intellectual Exchange
Cons
Repetitive processes, Small salaries
Acceptable
RESEARCH AIDE (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 11, 2017
Very good experience, better than many other places. Flexibility is ok, consideration can be challenging sometimes. The salary is miserable, but again, the experience working in there is excellent.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 13, 2017
Excellent benefits, great co-workers. Union geared so will pay union fees, limited parking. Limited parking during football season. Can be mandated if not enough staff available
Pros
Great benefits, great pay
Cons
Union dues, parking dues, limited parking during football season
Fun and easy to work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2017
Probably the easiest job I've had yet was working as an OSU office assistant. You have low responsibilities, and a nice, casual workplace culture and atmosphere.
Pros
very flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Great learning experience and networking opportunities
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHDecember 27, 2016
During my work experience with Ohio State I have been able to make great connections with people. I have also gotten the opportunity to learn different skill sets and about myself.
Everyone I worked with was willing to help me learn the skill sets that were necessary for day to day activities. The hardest part of the jobs I worked was how unpredictable the days could be. Some days were really busy, while others were slow. There always seemed to be different jobs that had to be completed on a daily basis. It was always fun to learn new skills though and grow as a person.
Great Part time Job
Event Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2017
Working for the sporting venue is both fun and rewarding. Flexible hours for everyone. Great Management and co workers.
Pros
Being at a sporting venue
Cons
Most evens are nights and weekends
Awesome Job
University Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2017
Being a University Ambassador gives you a lot of public speaking experience and is a ton of fun. The work culture is great and the job is easy to balance with classwork.
Productive work place with job satisfaction
STUDENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR 1 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2017
a typical day started with follow up from previous day assisting students, parents with financial aid and scholarships via in person and telephone. I learned how to use critical thinking and to display exceptional customer service. Being able to assist students to obtain their degree was very satisfying. I didn't find the job hard but it was challenging during peak seasons of enrollment.
Pros
Being able to purchase tickets to the football games
productive environment with good benefits
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 1, 2016
The work atmosphere is great, people are friendly. A little difficult to move up the ladder especially in research areas.Management wise excellent. enjoy working here
Great work environment with great people
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 6, 2016
It is always a joyous day coming into work when you enjoy your job and the people that you work with. The people higher up in management are always very helpful, friendly, and respectful. It is a great learning environment and I am very thankful for the opportunity to work for this University.
Excellent Place To Work
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2016
Working for OSU was a wonderful experience. They were extremely flexible with student employees. Management worked on continuously developing staff not just for the current role but future employment opportunities.
Graduate Research and Teaching Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 12, 2017
I am a graduate student in Biochemistry division of Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. As a graduate teaching assistant, the insurance coverage is quite well. The department also is very warm--the chair and staffs are all caring. There are some fun activities through the year. Work load for teaching depends on the class/professor. The campus is nice ans so is the city.
Large university with some problems
Cofounder (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2015
I spend a good portion of my day trying to get administration to do things for me because they have prevented me from doing them myself. This slows me down significantly, and if something ever goes wrong, it is impossible to determine the source to prevent the mistake from happening again.

The lower-level management is fantastic. They are always willing to help and have a lot of experience; however, the mid/upper-level management is entrenched and receiving more and more titles (this consolidation saves OSU money), which leads to a concentration of power. This power is then used to dictate raises and other benefits with no transparency, and it does not appear to be performance-based (I have not been affected by this yet).
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
lack of transparency (especially a problem at a public university)
Very nice university
Student Elevator Contract Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 23, 2016
A big university with a lot of opportunities in all the fields. A good mix of people from different cultures and a lot to learn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2