Ohio State University Employee Reviews

One of the worst work places I ever worked.
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 12, 2013
The Ohio State University is poorly managed with most exploitative work culture with least benefits and salary. There are many faculties who specifically employ graduate students and postdocs from countries like China, India, Korea, east Europe etc, only to exploit them with minimum salary, least benefits, no paid holiday and inhuman work culture to destroy family life. It seems that the university has a policy to offer "visiting research scientist" designation (than proper "postdoctoral researcher" or "postdoctoral fellow") to avoid paying some of the benefits (e.g. healthcare) and better visa (e.g. H1B) for foreign nationals. OSU does not follow the NIH guidelines for minimum salary, benefits and avoid providing career advancing counselling/avenues. There is not a single day paid leave allowed for its postdoctoral staff (all designations in that category included). All such leaves are arranged on the basis of mutual understanding between the supervisor and the staff. The university is very reluctant to cooperate to get H1B visa and later green card to enable foreign researchers to get a decent employment in US, manly in private sector.

The Ohio State University does not have transparent and ethical guidelines, as per NIH (which is followed by decent US universities) to address allegations against its faculties involving intellectual property and scientific misconduct, particularly if the faculty is well-connected. After working there for sometimes, now I doubt integrity of data in research publications coming out from some of the labs/faculties (even high profile ones). There
  more... is an office of research integrity and ethics, but that is nothing but a farce. If you trust it, you would land in worse trouble.

Quality of supervisors (as a scientist, teacher and as a person) are too poor. Many of them hardly have any desire and/or ability to mentor young students and researchers. Too busy to exploit these young, sometimes very talented students/postdocs for their own career, which is far too common in most of the American universities though. University authority actively support this exploitation.
Pros
big campus, nice library facility, good hospital
Cons
poor quality and dishonest faculties, exploitative work culture, poor management, addicted to government grants than developing self-sustaining technology & products, poor mentoring of students.
smile in your face but stab you in the back...
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioOctober 22, 2015
You want to know what it's like to have ten nurses sitting around on Facebook at a nursing station barking commands at you at the same time while your covered in multiple bodily fluids and haven't had time to sit down in 10 hours? How about being the only PCA for an entire unit of twenty-something patients because of "short staffing".Then this is the job for you! You get "free tuition" working at OSU however that doesn't include your lab fees, books, application fees and various other charges. Once you get done paying all that it's still cheaper to go to some other college! You want to further your education but not pay the high cost of attending OSU? Well too bad because they will give you absolutely nothing to go anywhere else for school. School\ work life balance? Forget about that because you have a form to fill out showing your school hours and you will be expected to be available ALL other hours. You will also pay to park anywhere on campus however good luck getting a spot any other time than shift change because they built an entire new 21 floor hospital but added no new employee parking. In fact they are planning on deleting existing parking spaces too build a park. During the interview they will tell you they will work around your school hours and are very flexible but after your hired and they know they got you on the hook, they like to use the line that "patient care comes first" to justify just about anything...well of course it does once you punch the clock but most if not all PCA's are pca's because they are in nursing school! Wana drop some hours because school  more... is getting harder? Nope. Wana switch from days to nights or nights to days? Nope. Wana ever have fully staffed units instead of treating people like garbage so decent ones leave? obviously not...They will be happy to remind you however they get over 1000 applicants for each vacant position so if you don't like it your welcome to leave. For the people that have the absolute most contact with patients you'd think a multi-billion dollar organization could do a little better.  less
Pros
it's slightly better than no job
Cons
see review
Medical Center Security Department highly mismanaged!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioOctober 10, 2014
The Medical Center Security Department is very low staffed, the supervisors and upper management would watch you on cameras and call you if they seen something that they didn't like. The director, and one of the assistant director has monitors in their office and they watch you when you are at the metal detector, and other places within the hospital. If you aren't in the "click" you won't get promoted, and you will be wrote up for everything. YOU WILL be mandated (held over to work over time) almost every other day. You can denied the mandation, however you will get wrote up and you won't get a pay raise for that year (pay raise is only 2% of your base pay). So many of the officers are looking for other jobs, The mandation is only going to get worse. There have been so many officers who have been hired and have worked maybe a month then quit.
Management doesn't have your back, they are only in it for their selves or their friends.
They went as far as to create another assistant director for a person that can back from medical leave. Now he sits in the office and watches the monitors to see what the officers are doing. That's not what that department needs.They need to have a better management team, one who will back up their officers and ones that won't always be worried and try to find things on officers to write them up. The department and the management needs to be investigated by HR or an outside firm.
They try to mess with your military leave, and vacation request are denied for certain people within the department. If you say anything about a union they will find anything
  more... to fire you. Your lunches are not paid, however you can't leave the hospital, and you are required to respond to any emergency call that there is. You might get to go back to your lunch if its not too busy. When you write a report, they will change it to make it sound good, people who weren't on the call even do this. My question is, how do they know what happened? In my opinion there are other security companies that pay more, with a lot less stress. Within two years This department has lost around 15-20 people if not more.
This department is not recommended if you are going to school or if you want to go to school. However they do have student security, the only thing that they do is sit outside and help people in wheelchairs, or give directions, or check buildings to make sure things are fine. They are not permitted to respond to emergency calls, or unruly persons.

Not worth the hassle for the low pay!
Cons
watched by management, mandated every other day, low pay for the hassle
OSU.edu has become OSU.com: Corporate biz folks ruining corporate culture
Systems Developer/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 4, 2013
Once upon a time (a decade ago), OSU was a great place to work in almost every department, college, and unit.

When I first arrived from the corporate world, I thought a bit of business sense could help it operate more efficiently and effectively. However, I should have been careful what I hoped for.

The slash and burn, burn-'em-out and churn-'em-out philosophy/strategy I saw used by so many businesses (to maximize profits on the back of 20somethings who'd work 100 hours per week for some piddly salary and then be tossed aside by the time they're 35 or 40) has been brought in as a "business as usual" strategy to use in some departments. The IT division is one where this has especially been true since a Wexner buddy from The Limited was brought in to run things there. You'll find very few people left with 15+ years experience there now (especially those 45+ in age).

The Work-Life Balance programs that have been created and touted in recruitment efforts are hollow promises in many cases. Ask for some flex time or flex place arrangement and you may find something as accommodating as the new CEO at Yahoo.com.

Benefits have quickly been eroded. Co-pays have increased quickly. In one year, the cost of brand name drugs jumped almost 400%.

Retirement benefits remain appealing. But the chances you'll last the 30 or more years needed within OPERS and/or STRS is doubtful as employees are now so "disposable" in many units.

Be careful to join a unit where academics are a main part of the mission ... avoid those where you're likely to be outsourced or sold off --- the way the bookstore
  more... and parking operation were.  less
Pros
retirement benefits, health benefits, rx benefits
Cons
corporate takeover of university by corporate executives (from wexner empire, etc.)
"Where there is no vision, the people perish."
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHJuly 26, 2014
I wish I could say positive things about my present job; I really do. However, the reality is otherwise. As an open-admissions regional campus, OSU-Newark draws its students solidly from the third and fourth quartiles, with an occasional second-quartile student thrown in as a tease. With some honorable exceptions, they can't read, can't write, can't think, can't retain information, and are curious about absolutely nothing. This makes teaching a considerable challenge; I will say that firing the imagination, intellect, and creativity of the top students is of course incredibly satisfying when it does occur, but the groundwork for that to happen consistently is simply absent.
On the other side, administration, I believe the operative term is "anarcho-tyranny." There are rules for all sorts of trivial matters, but the administration makes up policy about important issues on the fly, and woe betide you if you make a mistake. There are forms and procedures galore, but management has forgotten that these exist for the convenience of employees, and not the other way around.
Finally, the entire campus is smothered in fictions which very few people dare acknowledge as such. For example, our official slogan is "Excellence moving to eminence." Sorry. As a proud Cornellian, twice, I've not only been lucky enough to have seen excellence, but to have been embedded in it. A better slogan would be something like "Moving from utter hopelessness to occasional competence." Second, management likes to create the impression that OSU-Newark is a bottom-up organization, responsive to the needs and
  more... feelings of labor. Nothing could be further from the truth; it is absolutely a top-down organization, and consequently not a very enjoyable place to work.  less
Pros
comprehensive health care, good budget for theatre
Cons
general conventionality, conformity, and slowness
Great place to work if you don't want benefits or to be treated like a person
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  columbus,ohioDecember 14, 2012
I have worked at OSUMC for almost two years now and I never had a problem until I was promoted to work for the James. I would say that if you choose to work here make sure you work on main campus. Parking is difficult but main campus is an amazing place to work and that is really the only problem there. If you find yourself unfortunate enough to take a position at the James cancer please take my advice and quite or just don’t take the job. First of all the have no family values for instance our boss has criticized myself and others for having children and trying to take off to take care of them when there ill. Secondly you have no benefits here like you do when you’re on main campus. They do not allow you to use any sick time this includes doctor’s appointment made in advance with a doctor’s excuse. If you need to go to the doctor they will write you up and try to fire you. They tell you to get FMLA and when you do they deny it because they don’t want you to leave. The James cancer and breast center are the worst places to work. Stay away from the James. Other than that raises are very small the most you will ever get is 2% if you lucky. Good luck and maybe look for a job where you can make more money and have advancement, no one ever goes anywhere here.
Pros
non pros at the james
Cons
working for the james no ill time if they dont like you they push you out
Great place to work!
Status .PRN (Current Employee) –  Ohio State Wexner Center East CampusJuly 22, 2012
Productive,interesting,fun place to work.
Our Charge therapist assigns areas of the hospital we are responsible for,and the are very fair .We get report from the previous shift on the patients in the area we are assigned.Check our orders on the computer,get our medicine and then go to the floor or floors assigned for first rounds.
We address our customers respectfully,while doing our assessment
of their physical/mental condition.(adjust their beds,listen for breath sounds,check their oxygen saturation and pulse),If their on a monitor we check their blood pressure,and anything else we feel pertinent to monitor and report.
We scan the Pt arm band and scan the medicine to be delivered.
and monitor the Pt during the treatment.
We see an average of fifteen to twenty two patients a day and carry a phone to be available to patients and staff.
Occasionally the phone rings too much and one is called to several areas at the same time making the stress level a little high.
The hardest part of the day could be any part of the day.
My co-workers are there when I need an extra hand.
The most enjoyable part of the day could be listening to a co-worker
vent about a stressful situation or talking about our families.
Our Management supports us by allowing us to do our duties without harassment and providing us with the best equipment on the market.
Pros
free parking at the east campus, shift and week-end differential
Cons
i live 90 miles away
If you love birds and being outside, this is a rewarding job.
Research Aide (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 27, 2014
A typical day consisted of territory mapping, spot mapping, nest searching and monitoring, vegetation surveys, and confirming breeding success through fledge confirmation.

My immediate supervisor was a student pursuing a master's degree. She couldn't have had a better head on her shoulders. She trusted you to perform your daily duties without micromanaging. I was trained by going out and doing. She was very appreciative of our hard work.

My co-workers were all great people! Everyone loved what they were doing and did their job well!

The hardest part of the job was being slightly underpaid. Also towards the end of the season mosquitoes were sometimes unbearable in certain sights located in swampy areas.

The most enjoyable part was being outside all day and learning to identify everything in nature! I learned most Ohio trees/shrubs and birds. I also got to know cardinals well! Before taking the job, cardinals were this beautiful, but very typical bird... I liked seeing the rare warblers, and fierce raptors, wise owls. After this job, I really enjoyed getting to know certain cardinal personalities, how they interacted with their mate, where they sang, how well they fought for territory, how good of a parent they were! It was honestly like watching soap operas all day outside! Also, finding nests is very rewarding, it is like finding hidden treasure.
Pros
seeing wildlife, being outside, identifying, finding nests, acadians
Cons
pay, mosquitoes
Very diverse crowd of people with passion for science and driven to teach.
Laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2013
Typical day begins with cell work and media preparation.
Sterile technique became routine.
Day progresses into experiments given the cells were ready.
Comfort with several cell lines allowed ability to plan ahead of time.
Many of the people around the lab were students and made it hard to make plans, because the students just show up whenever.
I disliked how crowed the lab became. Could take hours just to be able to use the only cell culture hood we had among the 15+ people coming in and out. Communication became the biggest issue.
I still enjoy my job and the people around me. I just can no longer afford to stay here financially.

What I enjoy most about my job is learning experiments and tweaking them till they provided good data. I wish I could have received more opportunity to write. Writing papers is hard for me and probably one of the least practiced skill sets. I do very much enjoy lab work, although I feel it may be a dead end unless environmental issues are dealt with. I am very passionate about population dynamics and cleaning the environment of pollutants.
Pros
i derived my own schedule.
Cons
i don't have enough money to pay my bills.
Poor management
Information Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioJanuary 23, 2015
I spent four years as an undergrad and held a variety of student employee positions in which case I was student manager and leader over a group of my peers. After graduating I was offered a position within the OSU College of Dentistry and a year later I was excited to move on. The management team was a VERY POOR example of leadership. The Associate Dean went through 3 Administrative Assistance in a very short time frame, and politics can only tell how the manager of the file room became Director over the Clinical Administration. The area that I worked in was highly stressful. The temporary Supervisor eventually became the permanent supervisor after being a temporary employee. Confused yet? I sat in a meeting with our File room manager/Director and my new supervisor and they explained the reasoning was due to her being "old". I couldn't believe the file room manager/director said this right in front of our new supervisor. She would tell me her personal business even after I explained that I didn't want to engage in her personal family matters, and after I told her this, she began to treat me very poorly. I would come into the office and she wouldn't speak to me, I could go on and on, but I don't want to make this review into a novel. All-in-all, this was the worst experience of my life. I would not recommend this place of employment to anyone.

Want to know more about Ohio State University?

Ask a question
This is a very educational place to work, you can learn a lot if you are surrounded by the right people.
Animal Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2013
This is a very fast paced, hands on environment. There is a lot of Sanitation, changing of animal cages, and animal observation that is a big part of your daily work schedule. You are workly closely with the Animal Lab Technicians, and Veterinarians to ensure the animals are taken care of properly. I have learned that my own observations are the key between an animal getting the care it needs immediately or having to wait for someone else to happen upon it's need for care perhaps days later. You are the eyes and ears for these animals and it is very important to be as observant as possible when caring for them. Working with others is a key part in this job, questions, help with moving and lifting is one of the most important parts of having support available. The hardest part is the outcome for most of the animals once they have reached the end of the protocol. The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction that you made there time here as compfortable as possible for them, offering them enrichment, clean housing, and ample food supply.
Pros
good benefits, holidays and weekends off.
Cons
feeling the need to double check things that needed done in other areas.
Run don't walk away from any job with the Office of the CIO
IT (Current Employee) –  Office of the CIOJuly 31, 2012
Ohio State, as a whole, is significantly behind the times in both the systems and business practices. Working for the OCIO is very frustrating. Most of the people working here are long term government employees who have found niches where they don't have to do any real work and anything they do is slipshod. Even more frustrating is the fact that they think that they are the benchmark of best business practices.

The CIO says she want's to change the culture, but there is no push from the top for improvement. If you try to lead improvement from the bottom up you get slapped down for causing dissension.

This place is so screwed up that we have people start here, work a day or two and not come back because they don't want involved with us professionally.

There may be better IT organizations within the OSU system of colleges and department, but don't, under any circumstances take a job with the Office of the CIO.
Pros
laid back work environment, good benefits
Cons
lack of management direction, lazy co-workers, lack of cultural drive for operational excellence
I love my job that i preform
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 24, 2013
A typical day starts at 7:00a.m. by making coffee,and making sure the reception area, and the bathrooms are clean. Also i turn on the television. Then i start to greet my patients, mostly with a smile and conversation since i am familiar with them, assuring them that our physician will be with them shortly. Once my other co-workers start to arrive, then i move to my desk. From there i receive my daily schedule assignments for patients that need referrals, appointments, and consults set up with another physician offices. During this time, i am scheduling appointments with out going patient for chemo therapy and follow up appointments as well as consults and or referrals. And sometimes prior authorization or pre- certification are involved. Answering and making phone calls are a part of my daily process as well and since i work from my computer, i have learned a lot of short cuts to process my work faster, yet with accuracy. Once my physicians are finished for the day, i close my work station and take the mail down to the delivery room.
Pros
love my patients/love customer service
Cons
ohio has bad weather and travel can be hard.
Great work place
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 22, 2014
I have loved working here. I remember when I first started and looking at where I am now is so different. I have grown so much in this department. I started working in the call center and now I am rooming patients for Nephrology, Rheumatology and the Lupus Clinic. I have taken upon myself to basically learn everything there is to learn here, so I do not have to go to anyone and ask for help or ask someone else to do something for me because I don't know how. My co-workers are all great and management has been so supportive of me. I float around our department in such a wonderful way getting to do something different almost everyday. I have been chosen to work in our infusion department doing prior authorizations for some of the most expensive medications and it truly is an honor to me to be trusted to step into this role. The most enjoyable part of my day is making our patients happy. The worst part of the day is when I'm working in the call center and we get 400 phone calls.
Pros
great co-workers and paid time off
Cons
built in raises and everyone gets the same thing no matter how hard someone else is working
The University was a perfect environment conducive to learning, prioritizing education as the number one goal.
Research Assistant-WORK STUDY (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHSeptember 26, 2014
During each shift, the doctor of research and I would meet and discuss the day and how it should go. From that point forward, it was my responsibility to ensure that the phase of data collection ran smoothly without complication. It was my duty to inform each participant of their rights and responsibilities, and of the confidentiality rules that the University strictly adhered to, as well as answer any questions that the participants may have had.

I gained hands on knowledge of the research process, and the necessary steps important to data collection and data entry. I also learned how exciting the research process is in defining scientific questions about behavior.

At one point during the research process, the statistical computer program was not working, and I had to enter each score for every person, which took several hours. It wasn't hard to do, but it was very time consuming.

Even so, there was not anything I did not enjoy about this job, including working with the professor of the University.
Pros
hands on knowledge, experience working with the university.
Cons
the work study was too short and ended with graduation.
Time as OSU
Student Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 17, 2013
My typical day at work would be to check mail, restock supplies, add new employees to list serves, email about announcements, create and finalize the Enterprise Application's organization chart, keep documents updated for current staff, and be available for all team members.

The management at OSU OCIO is supportive while challenging me to continue to approve. I am expected to stay busy without little guidance and to keep my eyes open for changes or duties that need to be completed.

The hardest part of my job was in the beginning; communication. I had no choice but to get over my shyness and learn how to communicate effectively & efficiently to a wide variety of individuals.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the staff and how they continue to challenge me with new tasks, responsibilities, or ideas. I always enjoy helping out a coworker with a project and feeling a sense of personal accomplishment with the finished outcome.
Pros
great, understanding people; wide variety of duties & responsibilities confidence in my work;
Cons
disorganization of individuals
High volume of Student counseling and consultation
Administrative Professional (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2013
We work closely with students and family in regards to Financial aid, Registrar and Bursar inquiries. I've learned to be organized and knowledgeable in Student Services and inter-office and public communication. My strong issue with management is that they lead by trial and error. Any strong belief or expectation changes frequently as much as their moods. Concept on basic leadership is truly desired. My fellow Co-workers are great, each coming from various backgrounds and experiences that I do enjoy. Diversity is something i strongly appreciate. The hardest part of the job is not having the power or abilities to best complete the job. As the front line, we are basically middle men and can be undermined by other departments. With that, we tend to get the blunt of negative students because of other offices decision or lack of one. Is helping students truly to my ability. Being able to make people smile and understand.
Pros
benefits; co-workers
Cons
salary; management;
Where else can i work that's as great as this?
TeleForm Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 13, 2015
Work day is usually from 8:30-5 pm with a half an hour lunch. with a longer long completely possible. Very flexible schedule. More project oriented than anything. I've gained exposure to dealing with multiple projects and timelines, SQL and query writing, SharePoint 2010, TeleForm, training, hiring, interviewing, management of subordinates, and negotiating. There can't be better co-workers at any other job! Personable, professional, and increase the work environment. When all the projects have deliverables, it get difficult pleasing everyone but we develop timelines and meet with project directors whenever a conflict arises to handle it. Going to work everyday and having the perfect balance of freedom, accomplishment, and support is a game changing win for an IT-based job. OSU nailed it!
Pros
Great environment, Forward thinking, exposure, benefits
Cons
compensation is moderate for postition
Very personal department
Claims Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 22, 2016
The typical day in the billing department is repetitive, you bill your claims and check on claims that have not been paid, you deal with customers via phone regarding unpaid claims to bills owed. The management is great, she is very laid back and we work at a self paced environment, the hardest part initially is understanding the coding process and what codes go with what procedures and what codes need a referring physician and which do not. Also another challenge is when a claim gets denied and you have to appeal it when the claim was correct in the first place.

My favorite part of my job is the self paced atmosphere, my coworkers and I get along great, we are a team and treat each other more like family, we often share person things about our lives with each other, we are constantly engaging in conversation and are very personable with each other.
Pros
Great benefits package offered to employees
Cons
You have to pay for parking, lower on the pay scale
Ohio State gave yoo the opportunity to take class' free and to improve yourself.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 17, 2012
Both compainies have their pro's and con's. I learned difference abilities from both companies and they both are good to work for.
I learned how to do billing for our department for OSU Endoscopy department as well as doing the timekeeping. I interacted with my co-workers by helping them with any benefits questions or payroll they might have. I also made sure office supplies were available.
I also helped out with admitting patients when necessary and helping them understand the process. I think the most frustrating part was getting the information necessary to complete a project. The most enjoyable was when I was able to go through the day and feel great when I had accomplished the major projects on time and feel good aboout it.
Pros
being able to learn constantly.
Cons
not being given opportunites to grow in your job.

4.2