Ohio Support Services Employee Reviews

Very poor management
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 16, 2014
Unfulfilled promises, no acknowledgement of a job well done, no raises, in fact the company changed its policies and I then made less then when I started. Could not get safety equipment. management was constantly lieing to us . I ordered uniforms on several occasions and after driving all the way to the office on my time and my gas to find out that management had given them to a new hire. I have a cervical neck injury from a previous employer and was being discriminated for it. Management would threaten with termination if we left our post then not relieve us for bathroom breaks and threaten termination if we fell asleep at our post, but all the utility officers wouldn't do their job or show up late or sleep on duty because the company was working them so many hours. then all the utility officers got a 50 cent raise. It seemed that the part time worker who slept on the job or did nothing got a raise while me, the full time guy that did a great job, was always on time, never shirked a task and went above and beyond to do a good job got nothing.
Pros
The only pro is that they gave me a job when I needed one
Cons
No raises, no benefits, no lunch breaks no regular breaks, no safety equipment, no ability to advance
Ohio Support Services are Awesome!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHJune 16, 2016
The only reason I left OSS is because Discover changed contracts for another company and I lived near by and didnt want to relocate. Other then that the company OSS is wonderful.
Security guard or supervisor
Third Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2012
Escorting tenants and visitor to their vehicles after normal working hours; Making rounds on a daily bases in order to ensure the security of the facility and safety of the facility; writing incident reports and conducting fire inspection and a monthly basis; supervised security guard activities within the facility; trained security personal in different security procedures such as the use of the alarm panel, elevators, fire and security watches and the use of the security monitors.
Pros
easy to get hire
Cons
bad benefits, bad management, really bad compensation
A good company but is so big that there are many communication obstacles.
On Call Utility Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 27, 2012
A typical day at work is pretty uneventful. I conduct tours and greet employees. I check for badges and make sure that there's no criminal activity.

I've learned more about different management styles since I'm sent to multiple locations.

My manager is a good and fair guy and tries very hard to accommodate my needs, within reason.

You encounter a large variety of co-workers who run the entire spectrum of personality.

The hardest part of a utility officer is not having a set schedule and very little time off. Also I have the need for a lot of sleep to function properly and since I'm on call, I don't get it that often.

The enjoyable part of the job is that things change quite frequentl.
Pros
good pay for a contract security guard
Cons
no social life and i'm usually very tired.
Easy job and great interactions but poor management
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 22, 2014
You are responsible for checking people in and out of oil rig sites, recording names, vehicles, reason for being there, and id. Management does not communicate with their employees, do not cover shifts adequately, forget the simplest of request, does not adequately accommodate employees being that we can not leave site for food or drink, are not really near anything for people to deliver, and some stations like mine do not even have a functioning fridge or water source. We had to heat this winter with a small plug in heater, and there is no relief from the hot besides shade. Coworks are great for the most part although your job is strictly one manned. although there are several that call off alot. the interaction with the people coming and going is the best part.
Pros
a lot of interaction with people.
Cons
poor management, poor accomodations
Good Company
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Short NorthJuly 18, 2013
Overall my typical day at work was to clean the district and maintain a safe friendly environment. I learned a lot about conducting security work and how to handle some situations. The Vice President of the company was a really great guy he would even come out and wear our uniforms and work with us on the site and fill in if an emergency would arise to help. He showed up and made sure we always were taken care of. The site supervisor on the other hand was not what you would call a good management role due to him going against policies a lot and telling us to go against what his bosses told us to do before he got to work. My co-workers were a great team and we worked together very well and made each others jobs much easier with the way we handled our daily jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting to meet a lot of people and the interactions with the businesses and owners of them. We had a lot of support from the businesses due to us helping keep the crime rate down in the area so their customers would keep coming back.
Pros
Discounts at all of the shops and food places
Cons
Cleaning trash while supposed to be doing a security job
Boring but its the name of the job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 11, 2014
A typical day is sitting in a guard shack alone checking in trucks.
Pros
Basically paid to do nothing
Cons
No raises, no healthcare
good for a partime job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  columbus,ohioNovember 10, 2013
the don't offer 401k and insurance is too high. The managers get all the benefits .
Pros
lot over time
Cons
no raises
Great Experience
Compliance Guard (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 30, 2014
Working at this company was a great experience. The management was exceptional and I really learned a lot working with this company.
Great place
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 30, 2015
I have worked with other security companies before but this one is a good place to start, the only problem is the jobs are to far to drive for the wages paid.
Pros
Cons
have to drive over 50 miles one way to work
Fun place to work, exciting on some nights.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 10, 2014
3rd shift security officer. Conducted hourly mechanical/ fire checks in Downtown High Rise. Very little supervision but much training.
Pros
Worked indoors, 2 hour rotatating building fire checks with 1 other Officer.
Cons
Would liked to have made more money due to our responsibilities
family oriented company
Acting Corporal (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioJanuary 2, 2012
Ohio Support Services Is a good company to work for, If you are looking for a job without the fear of getting laid off this is the company.
Pros
company picnics each year
Cons
short break times
Excellent security company
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 6, 2014
Very challenging and interesting work. Although the hours were a bit erratic at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio Support Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ohio Support Services Reviews by Location