Ohio University Employee Reviews in United States

learning professional chemical engineering project
student (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHApril 25, 2016
Each academic project require different strategy to solve the problem. Most project have to work with 2 to 3 people which is a excellent way to perform the importance of teamwork. The team only given general introduction and the main goal of the project, they have to design how to build it. The hardest part is to do a lot of research which they never seem/learn before. However, all of the team members did great job on their parts, these projects bonded the team members together.
Pros
learn new knowledge
Cons
long working time without break
Worked general IT for college campus
STUDENT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Ohio University Southern OhioJuly 4, 2016
I worked general IT on campus for Ohio University Southern Branch. Here I had to take care of various machines and do various jobs related to the IT field. Including; maintenance on office technologies, construction and implementation of computers, light programming work, working on finding solutions to workplace issues around campus, ensuring the campus remained secure, etc.
Pros
Working in industry, experience, etc
Cons
null
No two days alike
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMay 25, 2016
I never knew what my day would be like.
My co-workers were appreciative of what I did for them.
The hardest part was my position was created for two people, I had to go work in another building two days/week and still keep up with the other people. With budget cuts, they changed the position to a one person job.
Pros
Family came first
Cons
I needed another person to assist me or work in the other building.
Great benefits, State Job, Educational benefits are deal maker
Assistant Director of Maintenance and Operations (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHApril 10, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at Ohio University as an administrative employee. They're very slow at hiring, getting a replacement for you if you've been promoted. I worked 2 salaried jobs for the past 2 years with no end in sight. The bargaining unit employees have a great stronghold on management and affect the culture of the working class at the university. I'd recommend this place to anyone who has a family and would like to take advantage of the educational benefits.
Pros
Educational Benefit
Cons
Slow to hire
Teaching Golf
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJuly 15, 2016
It was great to be able to introduce so many new students to the game of golf. One of the best things about being a golf professional is teaching someone new to the game how to get the ball in the air and seeing it fly for the first time.
Pros
Working with new students
Cons
I cant think of any
Ohio University
Executive Assistant - Associate Dean (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHJuly 12, 2016
Ohio University is a great place to work. There is plenty of room for advancement and a very pleasant work environment. The campus is just beautiful. Unfortunately, being a college town, salaries are lower than normal and living expenses are much higher.
excellent environment
Postdoctoral Scientist (Current Employee) –  CEERMay 16, 2016
I love the city
The university environment is so nice
Good research programs and employee benefits
Athens is not expensive and secure
Athens has a good environment to life with your family
Excellent administration
Pros
diversity
Cons
no jobs for postdoctoral associates
Good experience
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHMarch 17, 2016
I learned a lot about student affairs, and it has been an incredibly rewarding experience. Coworkers were enjoyable, although I had a new RD my second year who was incompetent and somewhat ruined the experience for me. The department as a whole is becoming stricter and doesn't seem to care about the needs of RA's, but the pay is good.
Ohio University
Transportation Services Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHJune 17, 2016
This position is an intermittent part time and looking for full time employment. Love the environment and the position that I hold in Transportation.
Pros
Love the environment
Cons
Lack of Communication
Well equipped research labs to learn
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHJuly 5, 2016
My research at OU was in printed electronics. The labs here are well equipped for research in this field. Everyday you learn something new with someone to guide you in your area of interest.
Excellent Employer
Theatre Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJune 6, 2016
Working with the university is much like an extension to the education you are receiving there. Not only that, but that faculty with OHIO are excellent at what they do and make great managers as well as mentors.
Very nice professors, big gym and swimming pool, ice-skating in winter
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMay 5, 2016
I love my adviser who always supports me to get a better position. The library is one of the best in Ohio.
The statistics courses are very good at the Psychology department.
Senior IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHApril 14, 2016
It is a great place to work. The people are friendly and the work can be challenging at times. I would recommend working here.
Productive and fun work environment
English Language Improvement Program (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Great place to work. The hours are great and they are extremely flexible and work well around students schedules. All of my employers are extremely friendly and helpful.
Pros
Fun
Cons
N/A
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHFebruary 15, 2016
My job as a resident at Ohio University was the best experience of my life. I got to meet a lot of interesting people and i was able to mentor many people who needed my help
Pros
free housing
Learning Community leader
Learning Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHFebruary 2, 2016
I truly enjoyed my job as a learning community leader at Ohio University. It was amazing to help students adjust to Ohio University just like I did.
Pros
made own hours
Cons
could only work a maximum of ten hours
Great opportunity
Dorm Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHJanuary 26, 2016
The job doesn't exist for students anymore due because the University only needed extra help during a short summer when transitioning from quarters to semesters. It was a great job, it was surprisingly fun to clean rooms.
calm work environment , very productive.
Libarian, student employe (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHJune 3, 2015
I learned a lot working for Ohio University Library at the Zanesville branch. Most notably for the pure calmness and peace of a Library, my work life was very satisfying. I spent the morning getting everything prep for students as well as staff. I pride myself on the trusted responsibilities my manager given to me as opener of the building and sometimes being the only employee there. I had many customers on the job, not only for their books but computer work. I find the only challenging job was scheduling for staff, since there was so many. Also of course being that its a library i was the sorting books in aisles. A job i will truly miss and friends and employee's to miss as well. During free time i spent it studying for my own college courses and lunch break at the local close subway.
Pros
long break periods, great environment, staff was amazing, supervisor was helpful, peaceful
Na
Senior Design (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHJanuary 20, 2016
This does not apply. This is a cancer work research program funded through a grant that I applied for. All research was turned into the school after completion.
Pros
Experience
Avoid Facilities Positions Unless You Enjoy Being Berated and Treated Unfairly
Manager Facilities (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHMarch 19, 2015
Senior leadership within facilities only care about their own hides, and their inner circle of friends and relatives they have surrounded themselves with. See "Cronyism". Under-performers are rewarded as long as they nod their heads yes. The cave man days are long gone in the private sector, but continue here. Most leadership has been cycled through the back door, however, replacements are just as arrogant and incompetent. Avoid positions in facilities at all costs, maintenance, janitors, all support roles will end in disappointment. Read the other reviews, all the positives are coming from educational departments, not facilities. The pay is ok, but the quality of work life, and ultimately, personal life if very poor. Human resources policies are only there for show, they are not enforced, don't be fooled.
Pros
It's a job, somewhat.
Cons
Leadership, nepotism, favoritism, cronyism.

4.3