Ohio Valley General Hospital Employee Reviews

enjoyable place to work
ICU/IMC Clinical Care RN (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAMarch 3, 2016
My coworkers were great, management listened to concerns and made corrections when appropriate, I learned independence as well as the teamwork approach. The hardest part of my job was losing a patient, the most enjoyable part was when a patient did well and was moved to another unit or discharged
Pros
self scheduling, health care benefits
Cons
no lunch, rotating schedules
The hospital is very easy to work with and have been flexible with my schedule.
Ultrasound Technologist, Casual On-Call (Current Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PANovember 13, 2015
The coworkers are great and create a family atmosphere. A fun place to work, and with supportive management. The hospital has a very low turn over rate.
An average General Hospital
Student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2015
This is an average, middle sized hospital. Other staff is wonderful. I learned a lot here thanks to the other ultrasound techs who very kindly spent their time teaching me with a hands on approach.
Great place to work at
Assist patients (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAJuly 2, 2015
It is a small town hospital. It has great history. In my opinion is a great hospital and a wonderful place to work at. Nothing beats the home town hospital feeling.Great staff and doctors. Friendly place to work at.
Certified nursing assistant on a Med-Surg unit
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAJanuary 6, 2015
Great company to work for I saw a lot of different things and helped the nurses in many different areas and learned new skills along the way. It was a very big unit and very fast paced atmosphere which is what I liked the most. Always being busy. The hardest part of my job was when someone called off I worked midnight shift and there was usually no one else to be pulled from another floor to help so I had to bounce between two nurses stations and four hallways of patients and trying to get everything done on time was the hardest although I worked with some terrific nurses who helped out a lot if they knew I was the only nurses aid. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the patients and learning new skills from the nurses.
Very acceptable workplace
Anesthesia Technician Internship (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2013
Operating suite was run very well. The information about the patients coming in and what type of surgery was accurate. The daily production of the operating room was very good. I found my time of internship there very interesting and i knew that i wanted to do the job duties for a long time. I learned time management and organization skills in a fast pace environment a hospital requires. Everyone worked as a group we relied on each other for the overall day.
Ohio Valley General
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh AreaMarch 27, 2015
One of several local hospitals in the Pittsburgh area. Small hospital, has teaching program. Needed upgrades to software when I worked there.
Pros
You know almost everyone there due to size.
Cons
Too small needs to branch out.
Productive and fun work place in a fast paced environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAJune 2, 2015
I am a casual employee and really enjoy the time I spend at OVGH. Exciting and fast paced. Well organized, helpful and courteous staff.
Great coworkers, poorly managed facility.
Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAJuly 20, 2013
A typical shift consists of caring for 8 patients, conducting all needs for those 8 patients, including medication administration, education, hygiene, and personal needs. I have learned great organizational skills and prioritization. Management is unhelpful, uneducated, and inexperienced. I have tremendous co-workers that make every shift manageable; we work as a great team. The hardest part of my job is being able to realize that with the great deal of responsibility and job duty requirements, I am unable to give my patients the care and medical attention they need and deserve. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I help people and that I make a difference in someone's life.
Pros
travel time from home; free parking; great co-workers
Cons
short-staffed; unappreciated; no respect from management; poor work schedule process
fantastic coworkers
Registered Nurse in Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 9, 2015
Started there as a brand new nurse. The entire hospital was great in helping learn a new rule. All mamgment had an open door policy and gave me plenty of room for growth.So sorry to see it close
Good place to begin my career
Radiologic Technologist, Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2013
It was a good place for me to start my career. I was comfortable with the equipment, the procedures, and the people at this hospital which made it a good place to start. A typical day at work for me was working the 3-11 shift and working with one other technologist dealing with outpatients, inpatients, emergency room patients, and the operating room. I learned how to work more independently and efficiently as a technologist. The management was good at the hospital, and very amicable to the employees. My co-workers were the same technologists who had helped to train me while I was in school, and I got along with them very well, and worked with them very well. The hardest part of my job was working in the operating room, that part of my job is my weakness. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, we got along very well and it made the job easier and more enjoyable.
Learned a lot of life skills.
Clinical Work (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAFebruary 16, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients. The work was very simple which made it easier to create bonds with patients and coworkers.
Good place for an internship/job during school
Inpatient Physical Therapy Aide (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2012
Nice place to work at, I learned a lot in physical therapy which helped me in school.
Productive and Enjoyable
TRANSPORT/AIDE (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PANovember 19, 2013
I loved working here, this place was wonderful all around. The people were always willing to lend a hand.
Unorganized
Clinical Educator (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAOctober 9, 2013
This is an extremely unorganized facility. If you value clear communication, this is not the place for you.
Challenging work environment
Radiologist Technician's Aide (Former Employee) –  Mckees RocksFebruary 12, 2014
The staff was very friendly but there was definitely a lot to learn.
Great work/ family balance
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  McKees Rocks, PAJune 7, 2013
One of the best jobs I've had and would still be there if it were not for relocation
Medical Surgical RN
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  McKees Rocks PAAugust 19, 2014
A typical day at Ohio Valley Hospital includes obtaining my assignment of 6-8 patients. I then listen to report on Voicecare. I decide what patients need to be seen first, make sure all are stable, and then pull my medications. Also, I check my orders at this time to ensure no orders are missed.
When assessing patients, I perform any doctors orders such as wound care and medication administration. I make sure that my patients are comfortable and are in a clean environment to also prevent falls. If an IV needs to be initiated I would be the one to perform this action being that our facility does not provide and IV team.
After assessing all of my patients, I begin charting on a system called Meditech. I also perform a "24 hour chart review" which is done on 3rd shift to ensure all orders were put in the computer and were acknowledged. I then draw all lab work for early lab orders for my patients. Report is then left for oncoming shift.

I began my nursing career at Ohio Valley Hospital so to sum up in a few sentences all that I have learned would be impossible. I have had so many great experiences and co-workers that have contributed to my learning as an RN. One skill that I feel I have acquired while working at OVGH is time management. There are many patients that need to be cared for including other procedures and tasks that need to be done with each shift. It is important to justify what is most important and how to perform each task while being thorough and time efficient.

I feel that a good manager/supervisor shows leadership and is trustworthy and professional. My manager
  more... and shift supervisors show all of these qualities. I feel that I am able to confront my supervisor with a problem and that they are able to acknowledge my concern and handle it to the best of their ability. Having a supervisor that I can trust makes my job much more enjoyable.

I have made many friends in my co-workers. These are the people that have helped me grow as a professional nurse. They helped me learn how to perform tasks and given me constructive criticism without making me feel bad about my performance.

The hardest part of my job I would have to say is having the opportunity to meet all of the people I do. I meet many patients that come in to the hospital who are sick and unable to care for themselves. I am able to form a bond with people and family members that not all people are able to do. After forming this bond I find it very hard to either not be able to see there progress or to have my patient pass away. Although this is very hard to cope and I consider it one of the hardest parts of my job, I also consider it one of the greatest aspects of my job. I am able to have a bond with someone that no one will ever be able to have. It is also so fulfilling to be an inspiration to people and affect them in ways that not everyone can. Even if a patient of mine may be confused and not remember who I am or what I am doing for them, I know that I am providing care for them that they may not receive if it wasn't for me. I am making a difference in that persons life. That to me is the most rewarding aspect of not only my job but my life.
Pros
free parking, short distance from my home, good learning experience, my co-workers, management, and small tight-knit environment/hospital
Cons
no cafeteria or food available for night-turn employees, high patient to nurse ratio, high turnover with staff, schedule, and low pay comparable to other hospitals
Marketing Internship at Ohio Valley Hospital
Marketing and Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Kennedy Township, PAMay 15, 2014
The beginning weeks of my internship at OVGH were generally focused on the Golf Fund Drive coming up in June. In the first week, the primary objective was to generate solicitation letters to be sent out to hundreds of businesses on company letterhead. I then spent some time into the next week being taught how to use mail merge which is a software tool built into Microsoft Word that allows you to personalize one letter to the names of hundreds of individuals. Now, every solicitation letter that reaches the hands of the business owner has its own tailored greeting.
I finished the next week using mail merge in to generate address labels to use in correspondence with mailing the solicitation letters. After generating each set of labels, I would first send a copy to my supervisor for revision before printing onto label sheets. I will likely be labeling, stuffing and mailing out the solicitation envelopes upon return.
Next, I set out to label, stuff, and mail the solicitation envelopes that would be sent out to many local and some non-local businesses containing requests for sponsorship and donations. Once I accomplished this, a team meeting was held to discuss the progress and the timeline of the Golf Drive Project. We left the meeting proud to be right on schedule. In the latter week, my task was to create Mulligan tickets to be sold to all Gulf Fund Drive participants. This task of creating tickets was accomplished from format to design to final print by the end of the week.

In the next two weeks, although I have continued the duties of the internal mystery shopping, the main
  more... objectives were to contact departments about updating their brochures and then actually working with a department on creating and writing a new and updated brochure for them. I sent out emails to various department heads of the hospital asking about their interest in updating their brochures. Those who responded with interest, I referred to my supervisor and set up a meeting to get a better understanding of their needs and expectations for their new brochure. I accompanied my supervisor in attending my first brochure meeting with the Head Nurse of the OVGH Geropsychiatric Unit. During the meeting, she discussed certain requirements and ideas for the revamping of her department’s brochure. Before embarking on the task of creating a new brochure for the Geropsychiatric Unit of the hospital, I spent some time walking around the Geropsychiatric unit, observing and listening, asking questions and taking notes to use for reference as I write the brochure.

Upon my return from spring break, my objectives have been to continue with the mystery shopping phone calls as well as to format, design and create flyers to put up around the hospital. These Flyers help create awareness of the different sponsored events being held at the hospital. I created fliers for many visiting sponsors including tastefully simple, trello chocolates, fun with books, employee appreciation day, Silver Star meats, in the bag, and several others. For each flyer, once I completed my final draft, I sent it to my supervisor for review and then, once I got the okay, I was able to make the final color prints on poster board. Finally, I was instructed to put them up in designated places throughout the entire hospital for people to see. By my next day there, I came in to work and people were already talking about the upcoming events depicted in my flyers so I knew that they were serving their purpose.