Ohio Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews

Hardworking staff and great work environment.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Wheeling,WVAugust 17, 2015
The job even though demanding helped me learn how different work environments can still be fun. My co-workers were very helpful and the workload even though it was heavy was very helpful in shaping who I am.
Pros
Great benefits
productive, stays busy
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 18, 2015
answering phones, monitoring alarms, greeting visitors..learned to work in a fast pase enviorment, management can be better in some areas. co-workers are great, respectful of others, taking death information would be what I think is the hardest. the most enjoyable is helping others.
benefits
Cons
have to pay for parking
Great Co-workers
Registered Nurse on Maternal Health Unit (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVOctober 9, 2015
This is a small community hospital with some great nurses. The Director of Nursing knows all nurses by name and will stop and talk with each and every one as she walks through each unit.
Pros
Small community hospital
OVMC is a good place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 29, 2014
Ohio Valley Medical Center is a reputable hospital with excellent
doctors. The new management has turned the hospital around.
I really enjoyed training all of the new people that came into
registration. My co-workers were wonderful to work with and I
am still friends with many. The hardest part of the job was getting
up in the middle of the night when you had the call box and working
for 12 hours on only a few hours of sleep. Thank goodness that
didn't happen very often. I learned so many things from my
boss to all of the wonderful patients. I miss everyone. I enjoyed
the free dinners they offered during the holidays and the children
coming before Christmas to sing for us all. I also enjoyed the
educational programs we all attended. I would like to come
back to work part time.
Pros
free lunches on holidays
Cons
short lunch breaks
Busy facility
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVMarch 8, 2015
Like most hospitials currently upgrading facility. Continuing to implement cpoe. Management does best to manage staffing with census. Can be a challenge at times with call offs and weather. Staff works well for the most part. The hardest part of the job is being able to take care of patient in the changeing ways of heathcare as a whole.
Pros
flexible scheduleing
Cons
short staffing
OVMC is a small hospital that provides great patient care.
staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVOctober 27, 2014
OVMC has provided me the necessary tools to continue my nursing career. I work on a very busy medical/surgical/orthopedic unit. My co workers are truly the best. They are willing to help each other out whenever necessary. The hardest part of my job is keeping up the documentation while providing nursing care. I enjoy interacting with my patients, getting to know them and their family.
Pros
friendly enviorment
Cons
short staffing after 7pm
Typical Day at Work (phlebotomist)
Phlebotomist/Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJuly 9, 2013
Dealt with several patients at once in gathering information to be registered, able to obtain blood samples quickly and efficiently when lab would become busy. On afternoons you were the only phlebotomist to register and obtain blood samples from all patients with orders; here time management became a key factor. Also, worked midnights and learned preparations for day turn and having everything done for them for the day. Fellow co-workers were a joy to work with and was always willing to lend a helping hand when needed.
Comfortable and Efficient
Ultrasound Technician (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVMay 6, 2015
Great place to work.

Atmosphere is comfortable and the work is efficient.
Great learning and teaching opportunites.
CO-Workers become your family.
Excellent in patient care.
Lack of Management
Registered Nurse - Oncology (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJuly 15, 2014
Lack of management throughout entire hospital. Hospital will do anything to save a dime. Understaffed with priorities in the wrong areas. Wonderful co-workers and staff including nurses.
Pros
comfortable scheduling
Cons
lack of management, understaffed. upper management vs staff.
Gained many skills
Occupational Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martins Ferry, OHJanuary 29, 2015
fast paced office setting, worked under direction of doctor, RN, physician assistant, provided great customer service to clients and patients, good team, hardest part of job: answers to questions concerning work took a long time, Most enjoyable: good team, steady shift
very interesting
Mental Health Technician-Hillcrest (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJune 9, 2012
I have learned many new thing about mental illness and substance abuse. I love my co-workers. I am a positive person with a good work ethic. The hardest part of the job is seeing people struggle and the stories from the patients. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping patients and listening to them.
started when i was yong
Repairman II\III; Shift Engineer (Former Employee) –  wheeling W.VFebruary 1, 2014
Learned alot when i was growing up. Got my boiler lic. and Hvac lic. when working there. Was a repairperson for 30 plus years. I enjoy being maitence person.
Pros
learned alot
Cons
there is none. had to move
A great learning hospital
Student Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVApril 26, 2012
Not as exciting stuff to see like what Pittsburgh had to offer. However, the site is a very good learning experience.
Excellent place to work
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  wheeling wvApril 22, 2014
• Screen, interview, hire, train, and maintain the competency of all department staff.
• Staffed and scheduled nursing personnel while determining appropriate staff mix.
• Evaluated individual performance of team members, which included Written Annual Performance Appraisals and Performance Improvement Plans.
• Managed and collaborated with administration to resolve human resource, labor relations, employee and department safety, and risk management issues.
• Developed and monitored budgets and resource allocations while identifying strategies to reduce costs and improve quality of care and service.
• Conducted regular medical records review and audits to assure quality measures were being followed and maintained.
• Assisted in development of department policies and procedures.
• Chaired Multi-disciplinary Continuous Quality Improvement Team, while collaborating with physicians and other health care providers to establish, implement, and maintain quality patient care and services.
• Implemented and evaluated national nursing standards by utilizing up to date information and best practices
• Promote satisfaction of internal and external customers and provide exceptional care in order to create a culture of excellence
• Effectively intercede with patients and family regarding delivery of health care services and promote satisfaction
• Collaborate with team members such as interdisciplinary teams, executive officers, and other stakeholders to develop, implement and evaluate programs and services
• Monitor and evaluate appropriate utilization of the staff in collaboration with house
  more... wide stakeholders
• Utilize evidence based practice to develop and implement standards related to meaningful use and process improvement initiative
• Recognize the diverse skill levels of individual staff members and the unique needs of the patient population when developing staffing plans
• Ensure level of staffing for the level of acuity is appropriate 24 hours a day
• Create a culture of fairness, trustworthiness, empowerment, and consistency
• Developed and monitor programs and committees to ensure that compliance and standards are met while engaging staff
• Evaluate staff competency by direct observation and peer review
• Helps create an environment where employees feel valued
• Improves patient satisfaction and loyalty
• Aligns systems and processes to support training
Okay work place
Registration/Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJanuary 27, 2013
I am a registration clerk. So I see the patients that are for outpatient procedures such as lab work, xray,etc. I also see the patients that are going for surgeries.
Great teaching hospital, great co-workers
RN (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVApril 14, 2014
I have been working here for 8 years. Most days are great to work and some are rough, but that is with every job.
Pros
great staff
Theraputic environment.
Mental Health Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVAugust 13, 2014
Easily accessible in Wheeling, WV. Knowledgeable staff. Caring, helpful employees.
Drawing patients blood.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVAugust 14, 2014
Drawing blood, data entry, customer service, not enough experience for job.

Ohio Valley Medical Center Reviews by Location